Eye Color: Yellow (blue contacts)
Race: Mixed

Name: Nathaniel Donovan
Species: Vampyr
Hair Color: Bald
Eye Color: Cloudy Aqua
Race: African-American

Name: Sarah Thornton
Species: Spiritual Residue (once Homo sapiens)
Hair Color: Black with white streaks
Eye Color: Grey
Race: None specified

Name: Kilroy
Species: Unspecified shape-shifter demon
Hair Color: Bald
Eye Color: Purple
Race: Unspecified Clan

Name: Michael Rockne
Species: Homo sapiens
Hair Color: Black
Eye Color: Grayish blue
Race: Caucasian

Hector Wichtlein- The Beginnings of the Supernatural PI

§ Co-founder of Wichtlein Investigations (formerly “Eclipse Investigations”)

§ Born in Germany in 1962. Abandoned at birth. Lived in an orphanage as a child. Birth surname unknown.

§ Telepathic abilities first manifested age 14.

§ After several “poltergeist” incidents, Hector was thrown out of the orphanage and moved from squat to squat, honing his talents by “haunting” the neighboring houses.

§ Age 19. While walking one evening, Hector witnessed the brutal assault and mugging of a young woman (Magda) but was too shocked to act. The woman died in his arms as he tried to carry her to a hospital.

§ From there onward, he realized he could use his talents to help others, as he failed to help Magda.

§ Moved to the US, age 21.

§ Age 22. Meets Desdemona Rodriguez and sets up Eclipse Investigations in a supposedly “haunted” office block, along with paranormal nerd/amateur demonologist Glenn McIver (aged 16)

§ Romantically involved with Desdemona.

§ Age 27. Discovers Desdemona’s true identity and goals while investigating a “vampire” reported by Orla _____ (later Orla McIver)

§ Goes AWOL, activities unknown. Glenn takes over the business with Orla.

§ Aged 30. Hector returns out of the blue, half dead, experiencing hallucinations and raving about an artifact known as ‘the Disc’. Continues in this manner for six months.

§ Wakes up one morning with no recollection of the last three years. Business returns to normal. Hector becomes more withdrawn and disinterested, nodding boredly at Glenn and Orla’s engagement and confining himself to the office for hours at a time in deep thought. Eclipse Investigations becomes Wichtlein Investigations when Hector changes the sign in a thunderstorm.

§ Aged 34. On the McIver’s advice, Hector goes on his first “night out” since his return. He gets into a barfight with a group of thugs who are harassing a young blind girl (Paige, age 19). He’s backed up by a stranger (Nathaniel). After they win the fight, Paige has a violent seizure (which they later learn is a possession). They rush her back to the offices of Wichtlein Investigations. The creature inside her speaks of “a Disc” and “a successor coming to light” before dispersing, leaving her exhausted. Nathaniel explains that he has been tailing her for a while, helping her along without her knowing as he suspected she was a spirit medium. Nathaniel and Paige stay the night. The next morning, Nathaniel is burned when the rising sun shines through his window and he is forced to reveal he is a vampyr, albeit a benign one. Nathaniel and Paige also take up residence in Wichtlein Investigations.

§ Age 36. (Day before full moon) Paige is haunted by tortured howls and cries for help. Hector takes her out on the street so she can trace the source of the screams. As they approach the source, they are attacked by a wolfish creature that Hector manages to fight off. As they flee, a business card falls from Hector’s coat.

§ The next day a battered young man, who introduces himself as Chase O’Bannon, arrives at the offices of Wichtlein Investigations. He explains that he woke up in an alley with the card beside him. Nathaniel enters and picks up a scent off of Chase and attacks him. The others manage to break them up and lock them both in separate cells. However, when night falls, Chase takes on the form of a werewolf and escapes from his cell, wounding Nathaniel in the process. Hector and the McIvers go after him while Paige tends to the injured vampyr. They locate him downtown, where he’s staking out his prey, a homeless man. They try to stop him but he fights them off and moves in for the kill. Just when it seems too late, the homeless man lashes out with clawed hands (Kilroy). Paige appears, bearing a gun loaded with silver. She shoots Chase in the gut, curing his involuntary lycanthropy. Chase becomes able to take on his wolf-form whenever he wants and still retain his human thought, thus preventing him from becoming a bloodthirsty monster. Kilroy (a shape shifter with a fondness for appearing as celebrities, recognizable only by his clothing and purple eyes) becomes an unofficial employee of Wichtlein Investigations, providing information and assistance for cash in hand.

This is just a bit of history so some of the more confusing parts of the story make sense (and also because I haven't finished that continuation I promised yet, sorry!). All suggestions welcome...no matter how big or small. And I'll try to get that continuation up ASAP too.

~D'Inkweaver
"...take thy beak from out my heart and quit the bust above my door, quoth the raven: 'Nevermore'..."
-The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
"...By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."
-Macbeth, William Shakespeare

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Fri Mar 02, 2007 8:21 pm
Roaming Shadow says...

I haven't read what you've already posted, but after reading this, I have to say, you've got me interested. If anything I bring up is addressed in the main writing, I apologize. However, if you have to post this to help readers make sense of the history and present, I have to say that you're not really doing your job as a writer. All this needs to be integrated somehow where necessary or reformulated. This may sound cool if it was written up as something like a case file on Hector Wichtlein in a prologue. Just a thought.

Wow, well it seems like you have a lot of this thought out. Much of the specifics could likely be left out in the main story. Actually, you could probobly disperse this information throughout the first quarter of the book and be fine.

Since it sounds like this is background to a project, you could probobly leave out such details as their very first encounter with Chase, and the specifics of how Paige and Nathaniel came to be with him.

Other than making Hector go AWOL and the "night out" suggestion, what relevance do Desdemona (nice name by the way) and the McIvers have to the story? If they do appear in what you intend to write, then you might want to offer the brief romantic relationship and the partnership. By the way, are those three still working with him? I assume not since he changed the name of the place to his last name.

A note: isn't a poltergeist a type of spitit? How can he be alive and part poltergeist? A poltergeist and a telepath/telekinetic are two completely separate things, at least to my knowledge.

The whole vampire (or vampyr as you put it) hate werewolf thing has been beaten into the ground. However, if Nathaniel attacked for the reason of protecting the others from a possible threat, that's another story.

The change in Chase sounds good. Normally it's an all or nothing deal, but a nearly lethal shot with silver curing only part of the curse sounds perfectly reasonable, and creates a sane lycanthrope. There are few enough out there and I've been trying to make my own. By the way, what is meant by "involuntary lycanthropy"? Are you just saying he has no control over the transformation?

I assume Michael Rockne is in the main story, so he's not addressed here.

Well, what you have here certainly looks interesting, but like I said up top, this should be somewhere in the main work if it is that important or necessary. Before I read the mini-intro, could you please take Claudette's advice and space it like you did your other post? It'll only take a few moments and make it so much easier to review. Thanks.
"In a fair fight I would have killed you."
"Well that's not much insentive for me to fight fair now is it?" (PotC: TCftBP)

I'm probably dead already, but that doesn't mean I can't take a few scumbags with me. ~Jak

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:46 pm
inkweaver22 says...

Em, well...

To answer your questions...

I'm going to integrate certain parts in the beginning of the story, others scattered throughout. Desdemona is a major character but no longer works for Wichtlein Investigations. The McIvers are still employees. Michael Rockne is a client.
As far as poltergeists/telepathy goes, there's a theory that poltergeists are projected emotions (although that theory also states poltergeists are usually created by angry teenage girls), so Hector's powers are based on that theory.
And Nathaniel and Chase don't have a vampyr/werewolf deep hate thing. However vampyrs and werewolves are related therefore Nathaniel could "smell" Chase but he only attacked to protect the others. Before being shot, Chase had no control of his "changing", but after taking the bullet he is able to change when he wants and remain in a (relatively) sane state.

Would you mind if I used your idea of a "casefile" as a prologue for the story?

Oh, and the other mini-intro (Supernatural PI, Wichtlein Investigations?) has been spaced (I think) so please let me know what you think of that too!

D'Inkweaver
"...take thy beak from out my heart and quit the bust above my door, quoth the raven: 'Nevermore'..."
-The Raven, Edgar Allan Poe
"...By the pricking of my thumbs, something wicked this way comes."
-Macbeth, William Shakespeare

Remember: when people tell you something’s wrong or doesn’t work for them, they are almost always right. When they tell you exactly what they think is wrong and how to fix it, they are almost always wrong.
— Neil Gaiman