Young Writers Society

Immaculate (Part One)

29 Reviews

Reviews: 29
Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:43 am
DoctorClicky says...

Immaculate

Part One: Silence

I awoke to an unusually quiet morning. It didn’t concern me at first when I realized nobody else in my family had woken up yet. I ate my breakfast. I took my shower. It was a little past seven and my sister still hadn’t came downstairs. My dad’s car was still in the driveway. Perhaps in the back of my mind I knew something was wrong, but I was too afraid to confront it. I think it was the lack of noise that triggered my unconscious awareness. There was nothing. Complete silence. Twenty past seven. My sister was always down by seven. What was taking her? I hadn’t heard the shower run or any noise from upstairs.

I drew in my breath and walked upstairs. I knocked on her door. No response. The silence echoed through my ears. I opened the door.

I closed the door. I don’t think I can describe in words what I saw. I ran into my parent’s room. I knew what awaited me. I knew I did not want to open the door. But I did it anyways. I collapsed on the floor and tears began to roll down my cheeks. Here I was--Brett Murphy, 6’2, 190 pounds, receiver for my high school football team--curled up on the floor, crying.

They were dead. My sister, my parents--perhaps everyone. The silence that lingered outside hinted to me that they were all dead. But I did not know this for certain. Others must have survived. I got and wiped away my tears. Perhaps they weren’t all dead? Perhaps someone was still alive? Maybe? I closed the door to my parent’s bedroom.

I went downstairs and looked out the window. There was no movement. I tried to hide a tear but I didn’t see the point. Nobody was around to evaluate my manliness. Why bother? I reached for the phone. There was a dial tone. That must prove that people were still alive, if the power was running. Didn’t people need to operate the power plants for electricity to work? Yes, people had to be alive.

I dialed my girlfriend’s number--Vanessa Stone, the most gorgeous thing on the planet. The phone began to ring. Vanessa had long brown hair that was smooth and smelled like coconut. Another ring. Her skin was tan and smooth. Ring. Perhaps the best thing on her body was her boobs. The best thing on any girls’ body was her boobs. Vanessa may have had the biggest boobs at school. Ring. I loved putting my hands on those giant suckers and squeezing. The pleasure. Another ring. Her ass was decent, but I’d be lying if I said “Vanessa got back.” Vanessa’s voice came through the phone’s speaker. I smiled. I smiled for a second and then I realized it was her voice mail.

“Fuck!” I shouted. The first word I’d said since the morning started. I closed my phone and hesitated. Do I put my phone in my pocket or do I throw it to the ground? Was it of any use anymore? Was
anyone alive? Yes, people had to be alive, they had to.

I grabbed my keys and walked to my car. I had considered taking my dad’s car, but I didn’t out of respect. I began pulling out of my driveway and into my street. I looked at all the houses around me. Nothing. Silence. I closed my eyes and honked the horn. I held the horn down. The noise blared throughout the street. Hell, perhaps it blared throughout the whole world, for all I knew. I opened my eyes and let go of the horn.

Nothing. Silence. Absolutely no response. The world had stopped. Everyone was gone, except for me. I continued down the street. I was heading toward Vanessa’s house. Maybe, I told myself, maybe she was still alive. But deep down inside, I knew. I knew she would be dead too.
Last edited by DoctorClicky on Thu Jan 17, 2008 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:04 am
scotty.knows says...

:( All the people died.

*Chuckles to himself* Is it just me, or has I Am Legend spawned a whole series of "The last person in wherever" stories. Ah well, I don't care. I like reading them.

This was interesting. It wasn't bad, but it might be better if you changed a few things.

The grammar wasn't bad and the spelling was good. You used a lot of really short sentences which was a little distracting, but all in all, it was pretty clean.

Probably the only thing to complain about would be its predictability. The protagonist seemed to know too soon that he was the last person left alive. In this kind of writing- sci-fi/horror- you want a lot of mystery.

Of course, there's a lot of mystery surrounding the fact that he's been left alive while a ton of other people are dead, but like I said, he realizes waaayy too soon that he's the last person left alive. Of course, he might not be, but it seems really predictably from here.

I think if this had happened to me, I would call 911 first instead of my girlfriend with really big boobs. I'm just saying...

Anyway, this was pretty good as far as a prologue to a story about "The Last Man on Earth" or "The Rockwell Incident" or "ALONE".
'Merikuh!

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:09 am
JabberHut says...

Dr. Click! My favorite person ever! Well, maybe that's a little exaggeration, but still...Let's see what you've shown us today. :twisted:

Perhaps in the back of my mind I knew something was wrong, but I was too afraid to confront it.

My sister was always down by seven, what was taking her?

Two sentences. :D My sister was always down by seven. What was taking her?

I drew in my breath and walked upstairs. I knocked on her door. No response. The silence echoed through my ears. I opened the door.

You use short sentences almost too much. XD I like them when not used too much. Conjunctions are your friends--they won't bite, I swear it! If I was wrong, you can smite me later on. Join some of these sentences. Use the word 'as' or something. As I opened the door... Or [/i]I knocked on her door, but there was no response.[/i] You know what I mean. Why am I explaining? Lol

Here I was, [Replace this comma with a double dash (--)]Brett Murphy, 6’2, 190 pounds, receiver for my high school football team, [another pair of double dashes (--)] curled up on the floor crying.

What I mean by this is: Here I was--Brett Murphy...football team--curled up on the floor crying.

My sister, my parents, [Replace this with double dashes. More dramatic :D] perhaps everyone.

I didn’t know [s]yet[/s] for sure.

But I did not know this for certain.

You just said earlier that it was clear they were dead. XD

I got up. I wiped away my tears.

Here's a good chance to join sentences. :D

After awhile, I got up.

I tried to hide a tear, but I didn’t see the point. Nobody was around to evaluate my manliness, [Period here instead so this next question is all by itself ^^] why bother?

I liked this part. :lol:

I dialed my girlfriend’s number. [double dashes! :D] Vanessa Stone, the most gorgeous thing on the planet.

Do I put my phone in my pocket, or do I throw it to the ground?

I had considered taking my dad’s car, but I didn’t out of respect.

Hell, perhaps it blared throughout the whole world, for all I [s]know[/s] knew.

Overall, good story! I actually like the idea so far. Couple comma issues I recommend, as well as dashes. That's really it that's up there, lol.

I think this should be rated R because of the curse word and graphics.

Anyway, there's nothing else to criticize. Your short sentences got much better as I read through this story. However, in the beginning, such short sentences were not needed. There was not much drama yet. Not so much suspense until the end of this. Join a couple of those and it'll be good.

Keep writing! Let me know when you have more. I'd be happy to tear it up. :wink:

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

you should no this
— Hijinks