z

Young Writers Society

Burning Gaia VII

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:00 pm
winters says...

This is a story both nopersonal and i came up with. This part is mine, his will be up soon

The Nemesis dropped out of Whitherspoon-FTL Space two days ago. It was in the Gaia system, and was within sensor range of the planet. They were still a day away from Gaia VII, far enough out to get a good sweep of the region. The radiological alarms blared as they approached within several hundred thousand kilometers of Gaia VII.

“Captain,” said Lieutenant Scoze from the center operational station. “We have positive ion trails.”

Captain Dubois nodded absently, fixated on the fore view screen. It would have been impossible to see the enemy ships at this range but they were out there.

“Captain?” Scoze asked when he didn’t say anything. He nodded to her, confirming her fears.

“Set battle ready stations throughout the ship,” he ordered. Lieutenant Scoze turned to Lieutenant McMaren at operational left.

“Battle conditions,” she ordered. Scoze pushed a loose strand of blonde hair behind her ear. Most of Dubois’ bridge officers were fresh from the Naval Academy on Luna, Earth. Scoze still had the neon pink highlights popular amongst teenagers on Earth. McMaren was fairly young as well, though he was already a veteran of several battles. The only true veterans on the bridge of the Nemesis were Captain Dubois and his Second in Command, Commander Hendricks.

“I don’t like it,” said Hendricks. He was standing at the port-fore view screen, observing the nearest gas giant as a storm rippled across its equator. “There’s something out there, and we’re all alone.”

The Nemesis was the fastest cruiser the Federation had within three sectors of Gaia VII, and the only one with a full company of Marines onboard. Her mission was to perform a quick recon of the system, whose last transmission had an unknown number of hostiles bearing down on the only planet with a noteworthy colony. Hostiles whose electrical emissions matched those of known Techno ships.

“That’s why we’re here, Jake,” Dubois said to Hendricks, breaching naval protocol by referring to an officer by his first name in front of crewmen. “We only need to deliver the Marines and hold until reinforcements arrive from New Mozambique.”

He smiled with more optimism than he felt. The war with the Technos (a name coined by one of the first Naval officers to engage them in battle) had Federal forces stretched unbearably thin. In fact, they would likely be the only ones to defend the Gaia system for days until a larger fleet, combined with contingents of the Federal Army, could arrive.

“I know, but I still don’t like it,” Hendricks had witnessed the Battle of Old Hera and had watched thousands of men and women die. The experience had hardened him considerably. “I think we should send out a combat patrol.”

“No,” said Dubois. “That won’t be necessary. Take us around the moon, Lieutenant.’

Lieutenant Gonzalez at navigation center typed in the coordinates, setting them on a slingshot orbit around the moon. They’d cut transit time in half.

“Sensors, scan the planet’s upper atmosphere for contacts,” Dubois ordered Lieutenant Holiday.

“Aye, Captain,” Holiday replied and set to work. Hendricks was about to comment on the gas giant being a good ambush spot when Holiday cried out, “Contact! Enemy contact!”

“How many?” Dubois asked; suddenly bolt upright in his command chair.

“My God, hundreds, sir,” Holiday said, the blood draining from his face. The Nemesis approached the moon revealing a sleek enemy carrier on the far side, in the upper atmosphere of Gaia VII. The fighters spewing from its launch bays played looked like a swarm of insects against the light of the planet.

“Action stations!” Dubois snapped. “All of you, action stations!”

Hendricks occupied his position at the weapons console, ready to relay orders to Lieutenant Phillips. The swarm edged closer as Phillips typed commands into the weapons system. He initiated the Nemesis’ targeting computer just as the flak cannons swiveled around to aim at the mass of fighters.

“Order the Marines to prepare for immediate combat drop,” Dubois said to Lieutenant Scoze even as the slow drum roll of the firing flak cannons filtered up from the gun decks.

Private First Class David Phish fidgeted with his rifle nervously. He was a replacement for a Marine in Company A that had been crippled in fighting on Aquatos IV. The others were comfortable on a starship, having fought in hundreds of battles and served on dozens of starships.

“Damn it, that’s my last credit!” Corporal Giles, his Phish’s fire team leader yelled. He threw down his cards with a bark of laughter and mock-punched Sergeant Reddings in the ribs. The NCOs played cards all throughout the voyage, stopping only to replenish their supplies of Neptunian Cigars and Saturn Rolled Cigarettes. Other enlisted men wandered about the hold of the ship, cleaning weapons, stowing gear, and going about the important works that kept a Combat Assault Personnel company running.

It was something special to be in a CAP company. Only the best, the proudest, the strongest Marines ever made it into a CAP, and almost never straight out of Boot. Phish had gotten in right out of Boot.

“Hey,” Lance Corporal “Snowflake” Jackson said. “You know you’re cleaning the safety, right?”

Phish looked at the rag he held in his hand, realized he was polishing the safety button, and looked up embarrassedly. “Sorry.”

“Don’t worry about it. Just stay cool; you’ll be alright.”

“Easy for you to say,” Phish told him. “I’ve never been this far from home. Never been in the military. Never been in a CAP.”

“We take care of our own in the Feddies,” said Snowflake, loud enough for the others to hear them. Company A joined in with a shout.

“Ooh-Rah!” they yelled. They stomped on the deck and pounded crates until the hold came alive with shouts and calls. When the shouts rose to a crescendo, the all-hands chimed in. “All hands report to battle stations. All hands report to battle stations. This is not a drill, this is not a drill.”

The Marines stopped shouting immediately. They quickly dogged loose gear and grabbed up rifles. Phish jumped up and struggled to move. He had no idea what to do first. There was a book on his bunk that needed to be stowed away in his foot locker. His rifle was on the bunk, and the rest of his gear was put away. He quickly grabbed up his books and switched them for his vest and equipment. The quartermaster was walking around handing out fresh magazines to be loaded into rifles and stuffed into ammo compartments.

Snowflake packed away his loose items and donned the bullet vest and head gear of the Federation Marine Corps. He grinned at Phish and clapped him on the back as Corporal Giles stood in front of them. He was their fire team leader, and as such they lined up behind him as he awaited Staff Sergeant Connors, the squad leader.

Second Lieutenant Regina “Angel Eyes” Prise threw her cards onto the makeshift table. She had a winning hand, too.

“All Marine Combat Aviators report to pilot ready room,” the all hands sounded. Prise hissed through her teeth as she stood.

“You ready, Angel?” Bobby “Longshot” Meeps asked her. He was her wingman, and her best friend in the Company.

“Always, Bobby,” she said. Captain Blithe marched around his aviators.

“Let’s move it, ladies,” he said. “To the ready room!”

Prise stretched and yawned before following him to the pilot ready room.
Just a thought.

Reviews: 1
Wed Sep 26, 2007 11:15 pm
nopersonal says...

Yup. Didnt I help with this? Man, we shouldn't eat pizza, watch Futurama and write at the same time. If your place is stocked with Mountain Dew and Sun Chips, we're gonna write this.
If you choose not to decide you still have made a choice

105 Reviews

Reviews: 105
Thu Sep 27, 2007 11:31 am
Rigel says...

Pretty neat. I'm a sucker for elegant character description, which you have, and you definitely took advantage of what you've given yourself. Exciting, too.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:31 pm
Kylan says...

I actually really liked this. Not necessarily for the story, but for the writing itself. Your writing is blunt yet descriptive. Fictional, yet realistic. You know a story's good when it has pink haired military personnel and a bucketful of acronyms. :wink: You made this extremely realistic with just the right mix of character description and good dialogue. Kudos.

However, while I read this, I couldn't help being reminded of Star Trek, with the captain sitting in a chair surveying space through a massive plasma screen. Therefore, the story is kind of cliche. Ship gets sent to location of last message, ship gets ambushed, ship fights and ship escapes by the skin of it's figurative teeth. I don't like that. No one likes that. They can watch reruns of star trek for that. Marines being on board was a nice touch, giving the reader something to relate to. And so was the fact that these spaceships are apart of a Navy. Very nice. But I can't help you with your story line. It needs revamping to say the least

I also enjoyed your characters for the most part. Beware, however, of Island Hopping. That's when you switch from PoV to PoV to PoV. Usually, it's healthy only to have one or two PoVs. Anymore detracts from character development. And a novel always revolves around the character. I know all about this. I used to island hop like a maniac. There were at least eight or nine PoVs in one of my old unfinished novels, and I realize now that I created all of these scene-stealing characters because I hated my MC. Focus on one character in particular, my friend. And try not to island hop anymore than you need to. Trust me, it makes your story better.

As a side note, the last character you introduce was a tough girl with an attitude. Watch out for her. Tough girls are very cliche. DON'T STEREOTYPE! Make your tough girl feminine in some way. Show her feelings. I expect you to delve into your characters' feelings and thoughts later in the story.

Captain Dubois nodded absently, fixated on the fore view screen.

What's fixated on the screen? His toes, his face, his arm? Him? I know as well as anybody his eyes are fixated on the screen, but help the reader a little by saying so.

The war with the Technos (a name coined by one of the first Naval officers to engage them in battle)

Intead of using paratheses, use dashes. They're much more professional looking.

He was a replacement for a Marine in Company A that had been crippled in fighting on Aquatos IV.

Rephrase this sentence. It's confusing and hard to wade through. Try: He was a replacement for a Marine in Company A who had been crippled during the fight on Aquatos IV.

Neptunian Cigars and Saturn Rolled Cigarettes.

Clever, but not realistic. Change one of the planet names. Also, use two different commodities, instead of only tobacco based products. Like Neptunian cigars and Aged Saturn Gin. Or something like that.

They quickly dogged loose gear and grabbed up rifles.

This doesn't make sense. Try: They quickly donned loose gear and grabbed their rifles

Anyways, I'm looking forward to the next installment.

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

18 Reviews

Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:42 pm
winters says...

Thanks for the critique!

I try not to island hop, but there are three central characters through which the battle unfolds, I only jump from character to character when neccessary to tell certain components of the story(how different people relate to stress-inducing situations, etc.).

Some of the military jargon might not make sense, but such are the perils of military sci-fi. i thought about making the Marines imbibe some form of alcohol, but then i thought one might question why a group of Marines, officers, no less, would be drinking a mind altering substance a hours before possible fighting.

Thanks a ton of the critique and I'll definately intergrate some of your suggestions.
Just a thought.

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Fri Sep 28, 2007 10:47 pm
Kylan says...

i thought about making the Marines imbibe some form of alcohol, but then i thought one might question why a group of Marines, officers, no less, would be drinking a mind altering substance a hours before possible fighting.

True.

I also had one other thing to say that I forgot about. When the captain ordered the marines to battle stations, does that mean they will be fighting on the ship, in smaller fighter ships, or down below on the planet? Because all but the smaller fighter ships make sense. Why would marines fight on the ship when they are a hand-to-hand military group? ANd why would the captain be dropping soldiers onto the planet when the immediate danger is in space. Clarify, clarify, clarify!

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

18 Reviews

Fri Sep 28, 2007 11:25 pm
winters says...

Heh heh. All I can say is that time will tell.
Just a thought.

Yewis superiority!
— Several authors from the auspicious site.