z

Young Writers Society

The EagleFire Squadron:Chapter 1

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Wed Jun 04, 2008 3:54 am
eaglefire91 says...

Okay. This is because of all of your reviews that said I did not have enough detail. (I actually agree with them... but...) Hahah. . As a result, I have rewritten it, and I sencerly hope that it is WAY better than the last one.
Comments are always appreciated, whether good, bad, harsh, judgmental, hateful, you get the point. Just let me know what you think. (Please be specific when critiquing.)

If you'd like to view the original chapter, it can be found on: http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic30863.html

Enjoy!
~Daniel

Chapter 1:

“Sir!” Lieutenant Justin Voltz shrieked, rotating his chair towards his commander, and running a hand through his curly red hair, “the weapons system is down, Alpha and Delta wings have been destroyed, and we’re deep in kimchi, sir!”

“Well,” Admiral Robert Kane raised his steady voice above the commotion of the bridge, being careful not to cause panic. As the leader of over three thousand military personal, it was his duty not to deteriorate their already demoralized spirits. “Tactics, how soon can we get Beta wing outta the hangar?”

“Hangars two, three, and four are completely blocked up with debris, and hangar one is getting power failure on half of the main floor,” Lieutenant Dustin Hawkins replied. “I’d say it’d be at least fifteen minutes ‘till all five of our fighters are launched.”

“Scramble them. Voltz, what is the status on repairs? Can we get the weapons back online?”

“That’s a negative, sir. Officer Fletcher and his ground crew are trying to clear up the breaches in levels sixteen, fifteen, and fourteen. Should I get them back to the weapons?”

“No, we need the breaches sealed first. Navigations, plot a course—” Admiral Kane’s heavy built body was thrust backward, onto the steel flooring of his Corvette’s bridge, as, what seemed to be an earthquake, shook the ship.

“Sir!” Justin yelled, his words quivering in fear of devastation. “Engines are down and we have a reactor breach in decks three, four, five, and six!”

“Get the ground crew to take care of the upper decks. We cannot afford to lose them. What is the status on Beta Wing? We need fighter coverage, now!”

----------------------------------------------------------------

“Beta One, disengage your engines!” the launch captain’s voice screamed through Ryan Anderson’s communications system in his small fighter. “You do not have authorization to launch!”

Ryan smiled grimly, not bothering to reply to the launch captain. If there was one thing he could not understand about the AeroSpace Air Corps was the need to follow protocol. Sure, there were standard procedures, meant for basic safety, but dire situations required dire actions.

“Beta One, I repeat: disengage your engines. It’s too dangerous to launch, all power in the catapult and lights are offline, you cannot be allowed to launch.”

“Dangerous?” Ryan laughed grimly at the launch captain’s words, his deep brown eyes scanning the area in front of his space fighter, “With all due respect sir, I’m a fighter pilot. Everything I do is dangerous. But right now, we have three thousand lives aboard this ship with only four other fighters trying to protect her; I’m not about to stand around and watch her go down in flames.” He silenced the com-link, not wanting to hear the captain’s response.

Ryan gunned the engines, allowing his sleek, red and black fighter, the Flame, to barrel down the launch way. I sure hope the enemy took out our shielding system, he silently prayed, realizing he had overlooked one of the most important steps in a launch procedure: the lowering of the shield system.

To an untrained eye, it did not look like much, but any military personal would say the same thing: the thin, translucent-blue, eggshell-like bubble that surrounded a craft, whether big or small, was one of the most important aspects of a spacecraft. The shielding system allowed a ship to absorb damage, while protecting the delicate hull. Only until the shield system was overloaded, could the craft be destroyed.

Ryan closed his eyes as the Flame tore through the hangar bay’s exit and out into space. Had the shielding system been online, his ship would have disintegrated trying to pass through it.

“Beta Wing this is lead, what’s your status?” he questioned, activating his helmet’s transparent heads-up display and targeting the nearest enemy space fighter.

“All Cancer and Scorpio bomber wings have been neutralized, sir,” one of his pilots responded, her voice cracking with apprehension. “What took you so long?”

“The hangar’s back-up power systems failed,” Ryan responded, his voice lathered with sarcasm. “Then the launch captain decided I should stay behind and wait to be blown to bits.”

“Haven’t we every told you that patience is a virtue, sir?”

“Not here it ain’t. All right, you know the drill. Take out the fighters, but keep your eyes pealed for bombers.” Ryan wiggled the stick upwards, sending his craft into a steep climb towards an enemy fighter. The drone of the missile lock sounded as his targeting computer gained an aspect lock with the enemy fighter, and a pair of missiles shot out from under the Flame’s slanted right wing.

Not bothering to see whether or not the missiles would actually strike their target, Ryan switched targets on his heads-up display, and aimed another pair of missiles at the enemy. Before he could fire them off though, warning klaxons began to blare. Obviously, his other missile had not hit its assigned target. If it had, there would not be an enemy craft tailing him.

Shoving the flight stick downwards and hitting the afterburner, Ryan tried desperately to avoid a beating from the enemy, but to no avail. His ship shook as the rear shields took the majority of the blasts, only allowing a minimum amount of damage to his hull. Ryan swung the stick back around and jammed the left petal downwards, forcing his craft into a high arch. The attacking fighter could not follow his maneuver, so it banked off in the other direction, in hopes to regain the upper hand of the dogfight.

Ryan saw his chance and cut off all power to his engines, using the reverse thrust to slow his forward momentum. As the enemy came into the front view of his cockpit, Ryan let off a couple rounds from his laser cannons. The lasers impacted against the enemy’s shields, overloading them before the snub-nosed fighter could react with an evasive maneuver. “Time to face the firing squad,” he muttered, his leather gloved index finger hovering over the trigger.

Lasers pounded against the Flame, shattering Ryan’s concentration. He cursed silently, pulling away from his attack, and accelerated the craft. There was only a split-second time-frame in which a fighter could remain stationary in a dogfight. If a pilot took longer, the consequences were atrocious.

Ryan pulled away, dodging a dangerous volley of lasers, and shoved the stick across his body. His leg muscles contracted as he jammed the right petal in, causing the Flame to flip onto its wing and sidestep another round of energy from the enemy’s laser cannon. He clouted the stick to the right, and then rolled it to an upwards position, in hopes to throw the pursuit off his tail.

The enemy was unimpressed by Ryan’s evasive maneuvers, following his dips and turns with perfect ease. Again, the enemy fired off a round of lasers. This time, Ryan’s craft took a direct hit. Its aft shields dissipated, and the rest of the enemy’s lasers swarmed the metal craft, driving the fighter’s hull integrity below the critical mark.

Ryan relayed all power to his rear shields, and triggered the reverse thrust. He hoped that the sudden change in motion would surprise the enemy and cause him to overshoot his target. This was confirmed as the enemy flew overhead, just centimeters above the craft’s translucent acrylic canopy.

Suddenly, the tide of the battle had shifted in Ryan’s favor, as he was now tailing the enemy. Using a combination of dumb fire missiles and laser cannons, Ryan overloaded the enemy’s shields and punched holes in the hull, finally destroying the ship. “Whew,” Ryan exhaled for what seemed to be the first time in a couple minutes, and glanced at his damage report. His weapons and communications system had taken minor damage, and the Flame’s hull integrity had reached a low of twenty-four percent. I’ve had worse, he reminded himself, flipping his craft about face as another warning siren screamed in his ear, signaling the approach of another enemy.

Knowing that his damaged craft would not survive a head-on confrontation with the metallic, v-shaped interceptor, Ryan thumbed the afterburner and gently caressed his fighter into a defensive position. This meant that, even though the enemy interceptor had the upper hand of the dogfight, Ryan had a greater chance of survival.

“Sir!” a male voice sounded, crackling with static through the communications system, “they’re all over me! I can’t get off a decent shot.”

“Stay calm, Davin,” Ryan responded, trying to force his vocal cords to sound calmer than he actually felt. “If you can bring your fighter—” Ryan broke off his sentence, shoving his stick to the left, narrowly escaping a potentially deadly volley of dumb fire missiles. “Bring her around towards me, if you can. I’ll see what I can do.”

“Aye sir.”

Ryan inverted, his craft shooting upwards in the dark abyss of space. Just as suddenly as he entered the maneuver, Ryan drove the flight stick to the right, easing up on the throttle, and making his craft fly in a tight, horizontal loop, just behind the surprised enemy’s tail. “Gotcha!” Ryan hammered the stick’s trigger, pelting the enemy interceptor with yellow-orange laser blasts.

The enemy’s shields wavered, and then dissipated under the laser’s intense heat, leaving the craft vulnerable to the pair of missiles that strove towards its fragile hull. The pair of explosives impacted against the small fighter’s body, vaporizing it instantly, and leaving nothing in its wake save a bright, florescent-orange glow spot in Ryan’s vision.

Ryan pulled his craft back around, suddenly realizing how far the battle had taken him away from his Corvette.

“Beta wing, report in,” he said through the com-link as he hit the afterburner to close the distance between his petite fighter and the massive capital-class cruiser. Even with the blackish-gray smoke that poured out of the damaged systems, the Corvette Tranquility still looked dangerous. Its semi-block shaped hull was laden with missile, laser, and beam turrets that protruded out menacingly, as to deter any curious craft.

“Beta Three here, sir,” the voice of a comrade filled the silence of the comm. “Four and Five are moping up the last couple of fighters, and Two has just finished up with his last one.”

“Perfect,” Ryan replied, and then spoke lightly through the small, electronic-filled microphone inside of his flight helmet, “Beta Wing, after you’ve finished blowing the enemy to space dust, set up a patrol around Tranquility, I don’t want nothing getting past us.”

“I think you mean,” a female voice piped in, “you don’t want anything getting past us, sir.”

“Oh give me a break, Jade,” Ryan laughed, relaxing in the comfort of his leather chair. “I don’t have this job because I speak well. And let me remind you, if dad were still here he’d tell you to respect your elders.”

Though Ryan’s sister, Jade Anderson, was technically his twin, he still claimed to be older than her. It was a well-known fact that the rivalry between the two siblings went farther back than anyone could remember.

“By what?” Jade retorted, solemnly rejecting even the thought of it. “Two minutes?”

“Anderson!” Ryan belted his words into the com-link, trying desperately to keep himself from laughing. “You’re a veteran pilot, the communications system is not a toy! You should’ve known that by now.”

Laughs echoed across the comm. system, and Ryan, in turn, smiled. Nowadays, the small arguments between him and his sister were not just for show. They were meant to relieve the intense stress every single fighter pilot was exposed to during a battle situation. Not only were the battles a constant struggle between life and death, but also if the fighter pilots were defending their home base, it was their responsibility to protect it, or die trying.

“Corvette Tranquility, Wing Commander Anderson here, what’s your status?” Ryan turned his attention back towards a more sobering thought, the Corvette.

“Thanks for the assist lieutenant, we’ve got all breaches under control, and the ground crew has jury-rigged a quick fix to get our warp drives back online. Tranquility is beginning the jump cycle now, so you have clearance to land in hangar one. Don’t hit anything on your way in.”

“Perfect. We’ll see you in a bit Tranquility, all in one piece.”

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Thu Jun 05, 2008 12:07 am
View Likes
Kyuubi says...

This revised version was way better than the last one. I liked it a lot better. The added detail made it seem more believable. I actually had a good time reading this one. To tell you the truth, the other one was a little harder to read. Keep up the revisions.
"So, I was thinking, I've always wanted to ride a TaunTaun."
"Ummmm....I asked you answer the math problem on the board."
"No you didn't."
"Yes I did."
"Yeah well, that's your opinion."...............A conversation between my teacher and I.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Thu Jun 05, 2008 7:06 am
Griffinkeeper says...

Oh dear, for each plot hole you patched, there's a new one to compensate.

The first scene is a dire one: an Admiral is running out of options. The lives of himself and three thousand other crewmen are at stake, not to mention the potential loss of a... corvette?

Admirals are very very very important people, so when they are in command of ships, they're usually in the strongest and best protected ship they can be in, like carriers, battleships, cruisers.

A corvette isn't particularly strong. They are lighter than frigates and meant for patrol duty. This is good for the story, but you probably don't need an admiral. Admirals are in charge of entire fleet. For a clearer idea on who would be in charge of what, see this link. Below that is one for the air force as well.

The final nit pick here is the three thousand people. That is a lot of people, comparable to the crew of one of the Nimitz Class Aircraft Carriers of today. So here is a question you should ask yourself: what would these three thousand people be doing? If you have enough jobs (and space) for three thousand people to work and live in your corvette, then you have nothing to worry about.

So, let's look at the actual writing part of this.

“Sir!” Lieutenant Justin Voltz shrieked, rotating his chair towards his commander, and running a hand through his curly red hair, “the weapons system is down, Alpha and Delta wings have been destroyed, and we’re deep in kimchi, sir!”

This sentence has a lot of detail in it, too much. If you want to create a sense of urgency among your readers, you'll want to keep your sentences short. Limit the detail to that which is important to the story. Take the curly red hair: is the hair style and color important to the scene? Not unless his hair can somehow solve their problems.

Another thing that bothers me is that you list the full names, Justin Voltz, Robert Kane. You don't have to use their full names here: in fact, it would probably be better if you stuck to their last names. You should only mention the first names if your going to be using their first names. It looks to me like this will happen later.

Time for another mini-rant. Many authors use alternate spellings for names, like Voltz or Katz. Alternate spellings just bug me to no end, what is wrong with using the original spelling? You don't have to follow this, but it will earn you brownie points.

Another thing: kimchi. I don't know if you made it up or if it's part of another language. In general, if you use a phrase people can relate to, do so.

The dialogue bothers me. Lt. Voltz is not acting professional. Telling a Commander that they are in deep trouble would be really stupid: the Commander is smart enough to know that. So much more so for an Admiral. You don't curse in front of your superior officers, especially when those officers are admirals. It wastes their time and their time is especially valuable, especially in the middle of a battle.

“Well,” Admiral Robert Kane raised his steady voice above the commotion of the bridge, being careful not to cause panic. As the leader of over three thousand military personal, it was his duty not to deteriorate their already demoralized spirits. “Tactics, how soon can we get Beta wing outta the hangar?”

*Shakes head*

Admirals have a duty and it's not to be morale boosters. That duty is reserved for entertainers and dancing girls. His job is to lead everyone under his command to victory. If he's lucky, the number of casualties that it takes for him to get victory will be minimal. If he's not, then they all die.

For him to lead effectively, he must ensure that those under him are well disciplined. So, instead of saying "Well..." which is indecisive, the Admiral would probably snap back "I can see that Lieutenant." Then he'd follow up with several orders. The first is a sharp rebuke, the rest provide direction and focus the crew on their orders, not on possible death.

Another thing is the whole "Tactics" thing. Instead of prefacing his question with that, he should just ask the question. The person who knows the answer (possibly the Air Traffic Controller) will answer quickly. Tactics isn't really a department.

Also, it seems kind of weird to have an Admiral use slang, like "outta."

“Hangars two, three, and four are completely blocked up with debris, and hangar one is getting power failure on half of the main floor,” Lieutenant Dustin Hawkins replied. “I’d say it’d be at least fifteen minutes ‘till all five of our fighters are launched.”

“Scramble them. Voltz, what is the status on repairs? Can we get the weapons back online?”

Wait, if the hangers are completely blocked or without power, how can the Admiral expect the fighters to scramble? Instead of ordering them to scramble, he should order be ordering that the hangers be cleared immediately. Also, keep the dialogue short. Time is too precious to waste on unnecessary dialogue.

“That’s a negative, sir. Officer Fletcher and his ground crew are trying to clear up the breaches in levels sixteen, fifteen, and fourteen. Should I get them back to the weapons?”

“No, we need the breaches sealed first. Navigations, plot a course—” Admiral Kane’s heavy built body was thrust backward, onto the steel flooring of his Corvette’s bridge, as, what seemed to be an earthquake, shook the ship.

Most ships have features where they can seal off sections with a hull breach. Most modern navies have this feature, only it stops water from coming in, instead of air going out. You should consider a similar function for your ship.

Also, I'm not sure about the physics of the hit. If they are hit from behind, then the Admiral should be thrust forward, not backwards. Also, the hit would have to be very powerful. The entire ship, with all it's mass, would have to be jolted. That takes a heck of a lot of energy.

“Sir!” Justin yelled, his words quivering in fear of devastation. “Engines are down and we have a reactor breach in decks three, four, five, and six!”

“Get the ground crew to take care of the upper decks. We cannot afford to lose them. What is the status on Beta Wing? We need fighter coverage, now!”

Kind of a silly question, the whole beta wing thing. He was just told it would take fifteen minutes before he even saw the fighters.

“Beta One, disengage your engines!” the launch captain’s voice screamed through Ryan Anderson’s communications system in his small fighter. “You do not have authorization to launch!”

Ryan smiled grimly, not bothering to reply to the launch captain. If there was one thing he could not understand about the AeroSpace Air Corps was the need to follow protocol. Sure, there were standard procedures, meant for basic safety, but dire situations required dire actions.

Aerospace Air Corp? Why not just Aerospace Corp?

I'm seeing Anderson violating safety procedures left and right. Part of me wants there to be consequences for those actions. All manner of things could go wrong: his engines might ignite the atmosphere, destroy equipment, or prevent repair crews from performing their mission.

On top of all this, he's being grossly insubordinate, which is a very serious offense during a time of war. In short, there had better be some consequences for his actions.

“Beta One, I repeat: disengage your engines. It’s too dangerous to launch, all power in the catapult and lights are offline, you cannot be allowed to launch.”

“Dangerous?” Ryan laughed grimly at the launch captain’s words, his deep brown eyes scanning the area in front of his space fighter, “With all due respect sir, I’m a fighter pilot. Everything I do is dangerous. But right now, we have three thousand lives aboard this ship with only four other fighters trying to protect her; I’m not about to stand around and watch her go down in flames.” He silenced the com-link, not wanting to hear the captain’s response.

I think the Launch Officer should go into more detail about the consequences of going in without power.

Watch out for the unimportant details: the whole brown eye thing. I also think the whole speech on "I'm a fighter pilot, hear me roar" is kind of cliche. I suggest keeping it short. Perhaps he has found a way through the debris and he thinks he can make it. If he doesn't make it: POOF! The hanger has more wreckage to deal with.

Consequences!

Ryan gunned the engines, allowing his sleek, red and black fighter, the Flame, to barrel down the launch way. I sure hope the enemy took out our shielding system, he silently prayed, realizing he had overlooked one of the most important steps in a launch procedure: the lowering of the shield system.

To an untrained eye, it did not look like much, but any military personal would say the same thing: the thin, translucent-blue, eggshell-like bubble that surrounded a craft, whether big or small, was one of the most important aspects of a spacecraft. The shielding system allowed a ship to absorb damage, while protecting the delicate hull. Only until the shield system was overloaded, could the craft be destroyed.

Ryan closed his eyes as the Flame tore through the hangar bay’s exit and out into space. Had the shielding system been online, his ship would have disintegrated trying to pass through it.

What a let down. You go through all the detail about the importance of lowering the shield system, but it doesn't turn out to be a problem. This is what we call an info-dump. You want to avoid these, especially when you want fast paced action. An info-dump kill momentum.

“Beta Wing this is lead, what’s your status?” he questioned, activating his helmet’s transparent heads-up display and targeting the nearest enemy space fighter.

“All Cancer and Scorpio bomber wings have been neutralized, sir,” one of his pilots responded, her voice cracking with apprehension. “What took you so long?”

“The hangar’s back-up power systems failed,” Ryan responded, his voice lathered with sarcasm. “Then the launch captain decided I should stay behind and wait to be blown to bits.”

“Haven’t we every told you that patience is a virtue, sir?”

“Not here it ain’t. All right, you know the drill. Take out the fighters, but keep your eyes pealed for bombers.” Ryan wiggled the stick upwards, sending his craft into a steep climb towards an enemy fighter. The drone of the missile lock sounded as his targeting computer gained an aspect lock with the enemy fighter, and a pair of missiles shot out from under the Flame’s slanted right wing.

One problem: he shut off his Com system and so far he hasn't reactivated it yet.

It isn't clear if the Cancer and Scorpio bomber wings are hostile or friendly.

Also, how is the rest of Beta Wing out there if all the hangers are blocked or out of power?

“Corvette Tranquility, Wing Commander Anderson here, what’s your status?” Ryan turned his attention back towards a more sobering thought, the Corvette.

“Thanks for the assist lieutenant, we’ve got all breaches under control, and the ground crew has jury-rigged a quick fix to get our warp drives back online. Tranquility is beginning the jump cycle now, so you have clearance to land in hangar one. Don’t hit anything on your way in.”

“Perfect. We’ll see you in a bit Tranquility, all in one piece.”

Hopefully he gets a tongue lashing and brig time for insubordination.

I know it's discouraging seeing your work get torn to pieces again and again, but keep at it.
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Jun 05, 2008 6:38 pm
View Likes
Deifyance says...

Ok, I thought this was exelent compared to the other one.

I only have one or two problems.

1. You mentioned the color of the craft Ryan was flying, but what about the shape?

2. Puncuation (sp) Don't forget to capitalize things.

3. Is this going to be a Novel?

A. If it is, whats the plot? (unless you planned on revealing the plot leter in the Novel)

Ok, now the good things. :D

1. You seem to have done your research on Science Fiction stuff,

2. You seem to know plenty of flying termanology, and how to fly in general.

3. Exelent Vocabulary!

Hope this helped in some way.

Good luck :D :D :D :D
Check out my current Series: Changing Legacy

Chapter 1
Changing Legacy: Chapter 1 - Disheartening

Chapter 2
Changing Legacy: Chapter 2 - Ambushed

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Fri Jun 06, 2008 5:34 am
eaglefire91 says...

...And my chapter gets ripped apart again. Great.. Hahah, I guess that is what I get for putting my story up here... just kidding. Anyway, thank you for the in depth review Griffin, I appreciate it.

This sentence has a lot of detail in it, too much. If you want to create a sense of urgency among your readers, you'll want to keep your sentences short.

Argg.... First I have too little detail, and all of you complain. Now I have too much, and you still complain. :P *Laughs hysterically*
Also, I'm not sure about the physics of the hit. If they are hit from behind, then the Admiral should be thrust forward, not backwards.

Yeah.. About that... Thanks for catching that one. You do have a minor point there.
Aerospace Air Corps? Why not just Aerospace Corp?

Because Aerospace Air Corps sounds so much cooler! :D
What a let down. You go through all the detail about the importance of lowering the shield system, but it doesn't turn out to be a problem. This is what we call an info-dump. You want to avoid these, especially when you want fast paced action. An info-dump kill momentum.

Whoa. So that is what people mean by info-dump. Hmm. Any suggestions on how I could change that?

And to answer your question Deifyance about whether or not this will be a novel. My answer is that I'd like it to be, but that really depends on how far I decide to make it. At this point, I have a rough plot line in mind. Where will that take me? I have no clue.

863 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 863
Sat Jun 07, 2008 8:34 am
View Likes
Griffinkeeper says...

Because Aerospace Air Corps sounds so much cooler!

It sounded repetitive to me.

Whoa. So that is what people mean by info-dump. Hmm. Any suggestions on how I could change that?

Focus only on what is happening. Leave out descriptions that don't describe what is going on. So, instead of telling us how strong the shields are, show them getting hit. The pilot could become concerned that his shields are decreasing.

"The shields began to drop. If the barrage continued, his shields would fail leaving his fighter to any weapons fire. He quickly spun his fighter around, dodging the shots."

This sentence incorporates detail about the shields, but it does so in context. Ultimately, it doesn't matter how the shields work, or even the amount of punishment they can take. What matters is that the reader knows what they do and what happens if they fail.

Same thing goes for weapons: never describe the history of a weapon, just show what happens when you fire it. A laser blast may knock out shields, while a missile may destroy a fighter entirely. The important thing is to describe the effects and limitations of a system. The only time you can really get away with an info-dump is when your character is info-dumping.

Q, from the James Bond movies, is a notorious info-dumper, but he can get away with it, since he spends most of his time describing the effects of the weapons, instead of how much it costs or how it works. It works out also because he is a technical character.

So, if you have to show off the technology, just arrange a conversation between the pilot and an air aerospace fighter technician.

Air aerospace fighter technician, say that three times fast...
Moderator Emeritus (frozen in carbonite.)

115 Reviews

Reviews: 115
Tue Jun 10, 2008 7:12 pm
View Likes
Icaruss says...

First sentences in, I already notice what your problem is: you give unnecesary information. It's not that you write bad, or that your story is boring, it's just that you keep telling us how to fight an intergalactic war, and we're just not interested. You don't have to explain why it is weird they haven't attacked yet, or why the battlecruisers are aligned in delta formation, and why the plasma cannons circumvent with the 208097 kHz electric engines. Focus on the point of view of your character: how it feels to command a ship, or how it feels to be inside a cockpit. Keep it tight, transmit the chaotic nature of the battle. Even when you focus on what Ryan is thinking, you're keeping a distance. Make him scared, talk about sweat, and gritting teeth, and nervousness. Don't talk about what you should and should not do in a fight, like with the whole shield thing. We, the reader, don't really care and probably never will care about things like that. Instead, you should focus on your characters, and make us care.

Also: I don't like Ryan. Maybe it was the whole "of course it's dangerous" speech, but he seems like the cliché Han Solo maverick kinda guy, sans the Harrison Ford charm. Maybe it's the fact that we meet him in battle. I don't know.

Look, it's not much, but those are the two problems that bothered me the most. More thoughtful people than me have already analyzed your thingy thoroughly. I just thought I'd say my part, as little as it is.
there are many problems in our times
but none of them are mine

You own everything that happened to you. Tell your stories. If people wanted you to write warmly about them, they should have behaved better.
— Anne Lamott