z

Young Writers Society

The Creation of Emily part 2

13 Reviews

Reviews: 13
Sun Jan 03, 2010 2:32 am
SilentOllie says...

“Emily! Hurry up honey; you need to get ready for school! As in now!” Groaning I sluggishly hit my alarm for what was it, the third time? Sitting up, I opened my blind to look out in the darkness. Nothing, not a sound, or motion- it was dead outside. Too bad there was such commotion that would begin stirring inside. Getting up and out of bed, I headed downstairs where I was met by Sasha; our retriever.

“Hey girl, morning…grrr…” Wagging her tail, she looked like she could care less about the day or even time. That’s what I loved so much about her, such love and simplicity could make any dog happy. Making my way to the table I sat, not feeling hungry. This wasn’t strange- for apparently most kids these days felt hungry at the oddest and most inconvenient times. I sat there watching the minutes tick by; this was'nt’t getting anywhere- was it. Sighing, I skipped breakfast, and headed back upstairs.

Rushing to get ready, I was out the door and on the street. Closing my eyes in the black morning, I then saw the beginning of the sunrise. The beauty of the colors, and the way they were so different; they still fit together perfectly. I stared at the pinks, blues and purples, and all the shades that came in between. I went on admiring the sunrise that I didn’t even see the bus pull up.

I sat watching the clock as Mr. Hummer droned on about the projects we’d be presenting today in History. As always, Jimmy the supposedly class genius- who I thought was a total egomaniac and full of hot air; rose his hand to ask ‘permission’ to go first. Only he would do that.

“Of course Jimmy,” Mr. Hummer practically sighed. Laughing like a dunce he was, he beamed and strode up to the front of the class with an air of great importance. Too bad it’s just History class.

“You won’t be disappointed Mr. Hummer,” that was when my head snapped forward with such force I made the oddest sound. I could feel heads turning, and eyes upon me.

“Emily, is everything all right over there?” Mr. Hummer was staring at me with concern, as the other kids laughed quietly, and snickered in my direction.

“Yeah, yeah,” I managed. But I sure as hell wasn’t. My head was beginning to feel all sore and that was when I knew one bad headache was coming on. Crap. Trying to stick it out for as long as I could, my head continued to fill with agony and the word ‘disappointment’ kept repeating in my head. God, why me? Raising my hand in the middle of Jimmy’s monologue, I quietly asked if I could head over to the nurse. Seeing in the condition I was in, Mr. Hummer agreed immediately and sent me with my backpack, and on my way. Silently thanking him for his ‘brains’, I began my trek to the nurse’s office.

‘She will not be a disappointment, I promise. Others were failures…but…’ Blinking in shock I felt my temple as the man’s voice who felt so familiar, yet I’d no face to go with it or so much as a name. Momentarily forgetting my raging headache, I gazed out the window, looking up into the clear sky. Breathing heavily, I walked on to the nurse’s office.

“Hello, can I help you with something?” Her eyes gazed uninterestedly at me. She went on clicking away at her keyboard, and I felt an unexpected flash of annoyance.

“I need to call my parents,” my voice came out harsh and even I had trouble recognizing it. Finally snapping out of her typing session, she wordlessly pushed the phone towards me. I tried to smile in apology, but my lips were pressed tightly together in pain and confusion.

“Mom, I’m not feeling well, please come get me.” I explained as quickly as I could until she agreed. Hanging up I thanked the nurse and went to wait in the office. Scrunching my eyes, they felt so sensitive. The lights were their normal brightness, so what was the deal? This day was turning out to be pretty unfortunate…wasn’t it.

As the phone rang, the front desk lady nodded to whatever the person on the other line was saying. Hanging up, she dialed in some number and requested someone to be let out early? Sighing in my impatience I waited for Mother, what was taking so long? Hearing footsteps entering I opened one eye but found myself staring at a boy my age. He was fairly tall, with short black hair, tan skin, and dark brown eyes. I hadn’t ever remembered seeing him before. Knowing it was rude to stare, I looked away, but eventually he sat down and took out his iPod.

Closing my eyes, I snuck glances at the clock. This was getting to be ridiculous. Taking out my backpack, and hunting for my phone, I softly groaned when I realized I’d left it at home, charging! Cursing this day over and over in my pained head, I got up to the phone at the reception desk.

“Err- may I use this please?” She nodded and I quickly dialed her again. No answer. Thanking her, I retired back to my seat.

“In a rush?” I looked over in surprise at the boy who’d entered minutes ago. His eyes stared seriously into mine, but a hint of a smile played across his face. Straightening up, I tried to find the strength and tolerance to speak without sounding completely messed up.

“Uh, no actually, no. I’m just waiting for my Mom.” Turning towards him, his face didn’t change, but he unplugged his earphones.

“Oh, I see,” he leaned back in his chair.

“I haven’t seen you around here before, are you new?’

Nodding, “Yeah actually, it was for business actually for my Dad. Heh…you know how it is these days huh?” Shaking his head disapprovingly, “Just a couple days ago in fact.” Sympathy flooded through me as he told me about how crappy it was. I haven't’t realized how much time had passed that when my Mom finally came, I didn’t want to leave, even though I was still hurting.

“Hey Em, sorry I’m late, traffic and all.” Knowing it was all I could do, I nodded in acceptance. Getting up to leave, I looked back at the boy in the chair, and said good bye.

“Bye Emily,” he smiled. Returning with my own grin, I quickly remembered we have not’t even introduced ourselves.

“Oh, I’m Emily by the way.”

“Michael, Michael Sparks.” Waving good bye I walked out with my mom, getting into the car, I finally lay my head back against the seat, and drifted off to sleep…in seconds. No…more…pain…

I was walking in a green grassy field where the sky seemed close enough to touch, close enough to grab. I ran tirelessly, effortlessly, I’d never felt so free. Laughing with no reason, and without a care, I found myself by a small pool of water. Gazing into it, filled with such happiness and light, I murmured to myself, “Beautiful, I’m beautiful. I’m…”

Jolting up, I looked around, and saw I was in my own room, my own bed. Safe, and okay, my body no longer felt in pain. I felt perfectly fine. Thank god. Sitting back down, I stared at the ceiling, and then lifting the blind once more, as usual, I saw nothing but the never ending blackness. Fading away…I go to sleep.

(Hey! Sorry people, er- I guess that some people were a bit confused on what I did- this was originally the second part of the story, I just combined it with the whole thing- so... to avoid confusion: here's the second part..) ^.^

547 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 547
Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:26 pm
captain.classy says...

Thank god.

Pretty sure God should be capitalized.

So, not a lot more happened in this part, since I read everything except the last three paragraphs.

I would like to comment on the dream. I really liked how she said "I'm beautiful, I'm beautiful." I feel it fits in with your story and plot, though I am not sure what it is yet. But, I also think you should spend a little more time on the dream. Telling readers why she is saying that. Did she not think she was beautiful before? Because at this point in the story, we don't know a whole lot about her.

All in all, I think you are heading in a wonderful direction. This story sounds original (at least from anything I know). I am excited to see what happens!
~Classy

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Tue Mar 23, 2010 12:51 pm
MiaParamore says...

This day was turning out to be pretty unfortunate…wasn’t it?

Okay, so your writing style is not very good and I found many mistakes which can be solved by reading the script again.
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Sun Apr 11, 2010 1:59 am
Anonymous1 says...

Hey!

I just read this part(obviously)and couldn't help but notice a few mistakes.
You keep on using semicolons where simple commas can suffice. There are also a few other errors but I'm sure you can find them on your own.

But all in all, this was interesting. However, I have to be honest, this was really a rapid departure from the previous chapter, but I'm sure it'll be explained further in future chapters. I look foward to reading them!

Education is education. We should learn everything and then choose which path to follow. Education is neither Eastern or Western; it is human.
— Malala