z

Young Writers Society

An Untitled Prologue

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:29 am
Sean says...

Hey guys. I've offered my opinions on three pieces of work - I'm not sure if that counts as a critique, but I'm not sure what else to say, (wouldn't call myself much of an expert on such matters) so here goes - and decided it's time to try and submit something of my own.
It's been knocked together rather quickly, just a collection of thoughts I'd been having for quite some time over a story I'd like to get written. Now, we all know the market is flooded with post-apocalyptic fiction, but I can't help it; it's something I truly love. And I have hope I might be able to bring something sufficiently interesting as to hold people's attentions. And damn, if I don't, I don't - but you write what you love, right?

Here goes;

An Untitled Prologue

Sun Valley
Denver, Colorado
Summer of 1967

The sense of anxiety was palpable as Dr Sternum began to summarise the long list of contributors to the work documented in front of him. Over 40 scientists of varying fields of study, nationality and reputation comprised the list. It had been a painstaking journey from the theoretical research began after the overwhelming success of the Manhattan Project. The very startling images of human suffering that emerged from Nagasaki and Hiroshima had convinced (at least a sufficient portion) of US government to seek alternatives; after two decades of research, the physical manifestions of that research, conducted in laboratories across the country, were now ready for the final stage of testing - deployment in an uncontrolled environment.
The document itself was a two hundred page pamphlet that had been adapted as relations between the US and the USSR had slowly eroded after the War. Starkly differing ideologies, neither of whom believed they could prosper while the other survived, had culminated in the final 27 pages of the extensive work, entitled "Effectiveness Against Controlling Communist Aggression - A Conclusion".
It had been expanded to include the entire Communist threat in the East - with the emergence of China and now the increasingly problematic Vietnam conflict, it was thought vital that a drastic proposal should be in place as a fail-safe. If the unthinkable happened, if Communism continued to spread West, it may well have to be deployed on living settlements, and the final stage of testing would be complete.

"Viable" Dr. Sternum concluded, as a personal post-script to the written advice. "That is the key word that you gentlemen can take from this; we have developed something that is deliverable both financially and logistically."
He briefly scanned the faces of the assortment of military personnel in front of him. Top level brass would be the best way to summarise the men (who, indeed, were as nervous as Sternum before the meeting began) but a more official title would be "Joint Chiefs of Staff", led by their Chairman, General Earle Wheeler.
General Scudamore, who had had to endure many such briefings with scientists he didn't much trust, was the first to raise questions.
"How long will it take to effectively destabilise a population?" the imposing, strong-jawed figure of Scudamore posited.
An almost imperceptible twitch registered on Sternum's face. This had all, of course, been laid out plainly in the text he had just spent three hours going over. Perhaps Scudamore was testing him? He decided he wouldn't take the bait. He would play this straight, dumb it down as much as possible.
"It's a neurotropic virus, something that attacks the central nervous system within the brain. Degenerative diseases almost always have a long incubation period, but we have produced something special, General. Within 24 hours complex tasks will be beyond the infected host; by 48 hours extreme mania will have set in. The infected will disregard sustinence, much the same way a rabid dog would refuse water. Dehydration will be the main cause of death. The infected host cannot survive longer than 7 days from the point of infection"
Although it appeared to Sternum as though his audience was satisfied, again another question was posed that had already been well covered. "Explain to me, Dr. Sternum, how exactly this virus is transmitted?"
It was Gen. Ed Halligan - deputy to John McConnell, the Air Force Chief of Staff.
"That, General Halligan, is still yet to be determined. We've suggested several possibilities. Take the cold virus, for example, the most common infection known to man. If you're carrying the virus, when you exhale, tiny microorganisms are sent out into your immediate area. Depending on humidity, they can survive for quite some time and once another person inhales these microorganisms, they too can become infected. In our case, about a 70 - 75% chance of infection."
"And the other options?" Scudamore continued.
"The only two deliverable remaining options would be through direct oral or sexual contatct - bites, intercouse, in some rare cases kissing - or through a vector." Sensing he might once again be interrupted, Sternum pressed on. "A vector transmission was most famously, and most effectively, responsible for the bubonic plague. Fleas that resided in the fur of desperately unclean Rats, spread the disease throughout Europe. Malaria today, endemic in the African subcontinent, is spread through mosquito bites. The theory is that, should we manage to transfer the virus to an airborne host, such as a tick, the disease could be spread quickly and inconspicuously. We'd be looking at 95% rates of infection"
"95%?" Halligan repeated, as if taken aback by the figure. The General himself had little medical knowledge, so Sternum could only assume this figure was higher than what the General had anticipated. "And mortality rates?"
"They would be around the same."
Silence fell on the room. Sternum, eager to avoid more unnecessary questions, reached for his briefcase and began putting away his papers. The Chief of Staffs did not seek any more information from Sternum, several of them absorbed by the booklets in front of them, as if Sternum had given them fresh insight into something previously illegibile. A curt nod from Scudamore gave him the signal to leave.
"It's been a pleasure, Gentlemen" he added, as the door closed behind him.
One thing, at least, was certain. They all knew that was the biggest lie they'd be likely to hear that day.

Anyway, don't be afraid to be cruel if necessary as this is only the bare bones for my story, and I'll be the first to admit plenty of work is needed. If it held your attention to the end, then great.
If you only got here because you had to, then do tell me where I went wrong.

Thanks,

Sean

130 Reviews

Reviews: 130
Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:37 am
*coco says...

Hey, Sean! Coco here :smt003

This is really good for something that's just a collection of thoughts you've knocked together! :shock:

I'll start with what I love. This is really well written in terms of the C.I.A/scientific jargon used, you can tell that this is an area that you are familiar and passionate with which is great.

Another aspect I loved was the story itself, this opening chapter is awesome so I have no doubt the coming chapters won't disappoint. Yes, the apocalyptic thing has been pretty much covered but so has a lot of the stuff on YWS, the beauty of it is your individual take on the idea which I think is brilliant so far.

My only problem with this piece is that sometimes the jargon took over. I was so immersed in the technical language I sort of lost what was actually happening - then again maybe that's just me - I just feel that maybe if you described, for example, your character and the surroundings perhaps it will help.

That's all really, like you, I'm not very good at the whole critique thing. I hoped this helped, though, and I am looking forward to reading more :D

*coco
"Do you know what my heart says now? It says that I should forget about politics and be with you. No matter what. You're a true Queen, a Queen any King would kill for." - Prince Francis ♕

Random avatar

Reviews: 6
Fri Jun 04, 2010 6:48 am
Sean says...

Thanks so much for taking the time out to read it and give your opinion Coco that was great. I am fully aware that there was a multitude of jargon, my hope is that by laying the groundwork early I can avoid overdoing it later on
I'll update soon!

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:13 pm
TheEvilWithin says...

Okay,I didn't want to be selfish and post my story without reviewing others, so here goes. I'm bad at reviewing work that isn't mine, but I'll give it a go. Please don't be mad if I say something that is wrong xD I'm sorry.

Sun Valley
Denver, Colorado
Summer of 1967

The sense of anxiety was palpable as Dr Sternum began to summarise the long list of contributors to the work documented in front of him. Whoa. Slow down. I read somewhere (I always say that) that the first sentence shouldn't make your reader run out of breath. I think that happens here, make a shorter opening sentence. Over 40 I don't like that you wrote forty as a number, although I did read somewhere (xD) that you should write it as a number if it's over ten or something, but I don't like it, I think it reads like a report. scientists of varying fields of study, nationality and reputation comprised the list. It had been a painstaking journey from when? the theoretical research began after the overwhelming Delete overwhelming, it'll flow better. success of the Manhattan Project. The very startling images of human suffering that emerged from Nagasaki and Hiroshima had convinced (at least a sufficient portion) of US government to seek alternatives; after two decades of research, the physical manifestions of that research, conducted in laboratories across the country, were now ready for the final stage of testing - deployment in an uncontrolled environment.
The document itself was a two hundred page pamphlet Not so much a pamphlet, then, right?that had been adapted as relations between the US and the USSR had slowly eroded after the War. Starkly differing ideologies, neither of whom believed they could prosper while the other survived, had culminated in the final 27 pages of the extensive work, entitled "Effectiveness Against Controlling Communist Aggression - A Conclusion".
It had been expanded to include the entire Communist threat in the East - with the emergence of China and now the increasingly problematic Vietnam conflict, it was thought vital that a drastic proposal should be in place as a fail-safe. If the unthinkable happened, if Communism continued to spread West, it may well have to be deployed on living settlements, and the final stage of testing would be complete.

"Viable" Dr. Sternum concluded, as a personal post-script to the written advice. "That is the key word that you gentlemen can take from this; we have developed something that is deliverable both financially and logistically."
He briefly scanned the faces of the assortment of military personnel in front of him. Top level brass would be the best way to summarise the men (who, indeed, were as nervous as Sternum before the meeting began) but a more official title would be "Joint Chiefs of Staff", led by their Chairman, General Earle Wheeler.
General Scudamore, who had had to endure many such briefings with scientists he didn't much trust, was the first to raise questions.
"How long will it take to effectively destabilise a population?" the imposing, strong-jawed figure of Scudamore posited.
An almost imperceptible twitch registered on Sternum's face. This had all, of course, been laid out plainly in the text he had just spent three hours going over. Perhaps Scudamore was testing him? He decided he wouldn't take the bait. He would play this straight, dumb it down as much as possible.
"It's a neurotropic virus, something that attacks the central nervous system within the brain. Degenerative diseases almost always have a long incubation period, but we have produced something special, General. Within 24 hours complex tasks will be beyond the infected host; by 48 hours extreme mania will have set in. The infected will disregard sustinence, much the same way a rabid dog would refuse water. Dehydration will be the main cause of death. The infected host cannot survive longer than 7 days from the point of infection" Nice description, very well thought out.
Although it appeared to Sternum as though his audience was satisfied, again another question was posed that had already been well covered. "Explain to me, Dr. Sternum, how exactly this virus is transmitted?"
It was Gen. Ed Halligan - deputy to John McConnell, the Air Force Chief of Staff.
"That, General Halligan, is still yet to be determined. We've suggested several possibilities. Take the cold virus, for example, the most common infection known to man. If you're carrying the virus, when you exhale, tiny microorganisms are sent out into your immediate area. Depending on humidity, they can survive for quite some time and once another person inhales these microorganisms, they too can become infected. In our case, about a 70 - 75% chance of infection."
"And the other options?" Scudamore continued.
"The only two deliverable remaining options would be through direct oral or sexual contatct - bites, intercouse, Or both at the same time. xD Sorry, I had too. in some rare cases kissing - or through a vector." Sensing he might once again be interrupted, Sternum pressed on. You said he was going to dumb things down and I still barely follow. I must be beyond stupid. xD "A vector transmission was most famously, and most effectively, responsible for the bubonic plague. Fleas that resided in the fur of desperately unclean Rats, spread the disease throughout Europe. Malaria today, endemic in the African subcontinent, is spread through mosquito bites. The theory is that, should we manage to transfer the virus to an airborne host, such as a tick, the disease could be spread quickly and inconspicuously. We'd be looking at 95% rates of infection"
"95%?" Halligan repeated, as if Remove as if.taken aback by the figure. The General himself had little medical knowledge, so Sternum could only assume this figure was higher than what the General had anticipated. "And mortality rates?"
"They would be around the same."
Silence fell on inside? the room. Sternum, eager to avoid more unnecessary questions, reached for his briefcase and began putting away his papers. The Chief of Staffs did not seek any more information from Sternum, several of them absorbed by the booklets in front of them, as if Sternum had given them fresh insight into something previously illegibile. A curt nod from Scudamore gave him the signal to leave.
"It's been a pleasure, Gentlemen" he added, as the door closed behind him.
One thing, at least, was certain. They all knew that was the biggest lie they'd be likely to hear that day.

Hmm. It was a joy to read because of the beautiful word use, but like coco said, I lost what was happening. One way you could fix that is to really have your MC dumb things down, maybe even to the point of sarcasm. I will read on, but be careful of isolating your readers with the jargon. Happy writing!

Evil

GET ON IT PEEPS
— Nate