z

Young Writers Society

55th Floor: Chapter 1

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:10 pm
SuperSquirrel says...

55th Floor is a dystopian science-fiction novel in the style of Fahrenheit 451, stressing the ideas of individuality, meaningful thought, and limpathy. If you like it, please join the 55th Floor Facebook page.

For reviewing this post, please read it slowly; it loses a lot of meaning if it is read quickly.

Life was good for Ernie. Life was not like those Actifilms he saw in grade school. Back then, the cars ran on gas, which polluted the environment and contributed to the E22 scare. Life was easy and provided for. Poverty had been eliminated with the Hudson Acts. Religion was basically dead, except for a few fanatics in the mountains of that Western country - What was it? - Silicia? Yes, that seems right. Crime had died out with the end of poverty. The United States was the pinnacle of civilization, on top of all those swords, crowns, guns, and ballots of eras past. Yes, life was good.

Ernie walked home from work every day. It helped his mind unwind from the stress of the office. He had to deal with the worst clients. Ranting, raving lunatics eventually ended up at his line, where Ernie had to calm them down enough to talk some sense into them. He dealt with extremely stubborn donkeys, snooty egomaniacs, backwoods hicks, hysterical parents, and those bigots that seemed content with insulting every minority in the U.S. and beyond.

Life was still good. Ernie had a high-paying job because of all the verbal abuse he had to take. This rather large paycheck helped the standing at home, where his wife, Georgina, and two children, Anna and Ryan, loved the new gadgets that seemed to come out every day. His late hours at his job, Ernie felt, alienated him from his family. He heated up leftovers when he got home from work, usually past nine o'clock. His family's incessant mind-numbing entertainment annoyed him. When the booming bass of the "fully immersive life-games" really got to him, he went up to his home office, read the paper, and filled out the crossword. The "paper" was no longer made of paper, but the name still remained as a reminder of times past. Ernie liked the crossword. It gave him a direct, measurable challenge to pit his mind against. With all the unquantifiable arguments he took at the office, he needed time to think logically and definably. Ernie's life was relatively straightforward.

The problems began one snowy night, while driving back south along Highway 93. Ernie had to personally go to one of the stores to resolve a complaint. Om the way back, the snow was falling heavily, and the snowplows were running late. A dangerous layer of partially melted snow poised an obstacle to the automated car. The car, sensing the slippery conditions, tried to slow down, but its attempt was too little, too late. Ernie's car slid off the road and into the ditch.
Jarred from his sleepiness, Ernie tried to call emergency, but his phone was out of power. He had nothing to do but wait. And sleep.

"Hey, you OK?"

Ernie opened his eyes, blinked a few times, and looked at an unfamiliar face at his window.

"I saw your car in the ditch and I came to see if you were OK. My car is nice and warm."

As if sleepwalking, Ernie hobbled over to the mysterious person's car. A warm cup of hot chocolate from his rescuer woke him up.

"My name is Alice," she explained, "and I saw you in the ditch while I was driving by. What's your name?"

"Ernie. Thank you for seeing if I was all right."

"Oh, it was nothing. Really. I'm driving back to Silicia from Maine, so I need something to break it up. When I saw you in the snow, my natural reaction was to check on you."

"Have you called emergency yet? My phone is out."

"Yes, I called it a few minutes ago, when I first saw you. The roads are bad. It will probably take them a while to reach us."

"Alright. Thank you."

Ernie sat back in the passenger seat and relaxed. It was unusual that he would have free time to spend. Usually, he was getting ready for work, at work, eating, sleeping, or out somewhere with his family. Because he was used to continuous engagement, it did not take him long to become bored.

"What do you do for a living?" Ernie asked Alice.

"I do a lot. Poetry, music, drama, columns, editorials, novels, performing, and a few more. I thrive on creativity."

"Poetry? Like 'Roses are red'? Shakespeare? Really?"

"Absolutely! Here, let me read you one of my poems!"

Alice rummaged around through a few boxes she had in the back seat of her car, and came out with a small, ornate, green-blue booklet tied together with pink and white ribbon.

"This one I titled 'Words.'"

Alice began reading.

"The words flow together
Run together
Weaving together to make
The tapestry of another world.

"The art of each sentence
Enraptures its audience
And brings to life
Characters and worlds unheard of."

"Don't poems rhyme?"

Alice laughed. "Not necessarily," she said. "Rhyming gives a nice structure to the poem, but I find that it limits my options. I have a rhyming one, if you would like." Alice flipped a few pages and came to another poem. She began reading.

"Tumbling through a world of nothingness
I am smothered by everything there
Trying to hold something more than the world
I am crushed, I am scared

"It has lain down its head to rest
Without it, I am gone
I try and try to bring it back
But it's already over and done"

"Did you write that?"

"Yes, I did."

"It's nice...What inspired you to write that?"

"Well, I looked back to when writers, actors and poets were revered by society, and when creativity was admired. I think creativity emerges from hardship, and with how things are going, there won't be much poetry."
Ernie heard sirens in the distance. "Emergency must be here," he said. "Well, thank you for everything!"
Alice handed Ernie the poem booklet. "Here, have this. I think you might want it."

"No, I couldn't take it."

Alice insisted. "Please do! It's a gift!"

Ernie gave in and took the book. Stepping out of the car, he thanked Alice again, and walked to his car, now back on the road. He climbed into it, started it up, and soon was traveling again. Ernie pulled out the poem booklet and started reading.

Thank you to all who read to the end of the first chapter! Please leave a review, any comments would be appreciated. Unless it's meaningless jargon.
Last edited by SuperSquirrel on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Mon Jun 28, 2010 8:33 pm
Stealth_Slicer says...

Ok I haven’t read it yet but I instantly need to say one thing:

Big block of text = bad

Huge block of text = very bad, and it is intimidating to the reader if you get what I mean.

It puts the reader off, is easy to get lost in and is harder to know when things are linked and when new things happen.

One simple rule to improve:

When you stop talking about one thing and start on another make it a separate paragraph, easy as that.

Trust me it will look a lot more appealing both physically and mentally.

I will comment again when I have finished reading it.

All the best
Stealth.

12 Reviews

Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:28 pm
SuperSquirrel says...

I will edit it as soon a my brother gets off the computer: mobile web isn't good for editing posts.

260 Reviews

Reviews: 260
Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:36 am
zankoku_na_tenshi says...

Hello, SuperSquirrel! Sorry that this is so late, it’s been a bit of a busy, stressful week. ^^;

Well, I did really like this as an introduction to your characters and your world! There’s a lot going on here, and the early paragraphs especially seem to hint at something interesting under the surface—I’m on pins and needles to find out what. I like how the main character of the story has what is, for all intents and purposes, a quite dull, ordinary, bureaucratic job—not only is that realistic and relatable, but it’s something that further intertwines his character with the world that he’s been committed to and surrounded by. He’s truly an insider, and I think that gives us a perspective on the dystopia that you never get from a character who is a rebel from the start. I can’t wait to see how this is going to shape my perspective on the world and how it is going to shape his character. There’s great potential here for some really amazing character development, and I’m looking forward to it.

Alice’s character seems plenty interesting, and I’d definitely like to know more about her and her backstory. It seems that she has quite escaped the general erasure of creative pursuits in this society, and I’m curious to find out more about her and how she managed to go about keeping her uniqueness and imagination in a society that seems outright disapproving of such things. I wonder if it’s because she’s from Silicia, and what that could mean for the story at large—the contrast between a supposedly primitive place and the “enlightened” future when that future destroys most of human creativity would be a really interesting topic to explore.

I’ll admit that I’m a little bit leery of anything that is self-described as being “in the style” of another novel, but that might just be me. As long as you also put in the effort to make the story your own, then you should be fine. It’s too early for me to judge on that, though, obviously. XD I do think that so far, this story has shown the potential to be unique in its own right, with all the elements of creativity and poetry in comparison to the rather meaningless drudgery of Ernie’s ordinary life. I’m interested to see what this plotline becomes, and curious about how it’s going to differentiate itself from its inspiration.

The only real problem that I notice in this chapter is that there’s a lot of telling rather than showing, and frankly, it makes the chapter pretty hard to read. It occurred to me that you might be doing that in order to show that Ernie’s emotions have been sort of cut-off by the way creativity and individuality have been dulled, but it still really made the chapter feel more like a list than an actual story. I feel like I was just being hit by this barrage of miscellaneous information, and that made it really hard for me to attach to anyone or anything. I’ll be honest with you—I don’t care one bit right now what happens to Ernie. I’m curious about the world, what’s going to happen next in the plot, and what Alice’s situation is, but if Ernie was to be replaced with any other random guy right now, I probably wouldn’t notice the difference, and it’s really holding back my interest in the writing right now.

I think this chapter would really improve if you would spend some time letting us kind of get into Ernie’s head. I really like the opening paragraph and the start of the second paragraph, but I think that instead of telling us about how hard Ernie’s job is, it might be best to actually show one of his interactions with a client. Show us what makes his job so hard, show us the way that he reacts to it and how he deals with it. The same goes for his family, really—I think I’d be happier with this chapter if I was shown the way that Ernie’s family was superficial, if I was shown that he got frustrated and felt the need to escape, rather than being told that. I think that would help develop Ernie’s character and everyone around him quite a bit, as well as giving us a firmer picture of what your world is like. As it is now, most of the story up through the car crash feels more like an outline or summary than an actual novel.

I did catch one typo:

Om the way back, the snow was falling heavily, and the snowplows were running late.

I think you were looking for “On the way.” Unless there’s been random meditating here. XD

Overall, I think this is an opening chapter with a lot of potential, and I look forward to reading more of it! It looks like there’s a lot going on here, and I can’t wait to see it developed further. See you soon, hopefully I’ll be a bit more punctual. XD
"The world is not beautiful, therefore, it is." --Kino's Journey

Hey, how about a free review?

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:06 pm
jDawn says...

Hello! My name is Jessica and I will be reviewing your novel today!
I would just liked to say that I thought it was really good. i hope you write more because I will surely read it!

I thought that the events, such as when the car slid off the road, could have been described more. Important events for the character should be given a lot of thought and described well and fully. Each event should be more than a simple sentence or two.

Really try to tell us what Ernie is thinking and his feelings. It makes the story more realistic and that is what it needs.

I hope I helped and I can't wait to read more!

- Jessica
"They can put me in prison but they can't stop my face from breakin' out."

" A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."

-Adam Young, My Hero <3

12 Reviews

Tue Jul 13, 2010 12:21 am
SuperSquirrel says...

Jessica, the second chapter is uploaded here: http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/viewtopic.php?t=66810

In the winter months, gale storms in Svalbard can reach wind speeds of 130 km/h. Accompanied by or following snowfall, such storms can reduce visibility dramatically, more so in the winter months of the polar night. During these storms, travel is not advised.
— The Documentarian