z

Young Writers Society

Still Untitled- Part 2 of a few

Random avatar

Reviews: 241
Sun May 01, 2005 6:11 pm
Harley says...

Tuesday, May 4, My Room
He wore baggy jeans and a grey sweater today, with grey Airwalks this time. Man, he is soooo cute, really, he’s like the perfect guy; he’s got the whole “cute, smart, funny” thing going on. Lucy was totally drooling over him at band practise today; he looked a little freaked out, to be honest. He asked for my pager number (YES!) and I was like, grinning for the rest of the day. We can’t have cellphones ‘til we’re 16 here, ‘cuz of that brain radiation thing. Sucks, I know, but pagers are fun; I got a shiny blue one. We’re allowed to take them to school, we just gotta put them in silent mode. I love having it at school, especially when Riley paged me fourth period to say he’d be late for lunch with us. ME. Not Mattie or Josh. ME!!!!! Phoebe says that even though he’s hot, she still has a crush on Karl Patterson in her Art and French class. Karl is way cute, but Riley rules all. I told her this, and she said that if that’s true, I’d better sink my claws into him quick. I had to agree- Lucy was definitely interested. The thing is, she has a boyfriend. She’s going out with Sean Doherty, a junior, but surprisingly not a Jock. He’s cute enough, yeah, but he’s such a JERK. He makes fun of everyone, and he’s real popular- probably ‘cuz his daddy’s rich. Eugh, he’s a creep, but smart enough. He never studies but pulls off a B minus in everything (I know this because in every class he has, there’s one of us four there. Well, five now.)
I got a look at Riley’s timetable. As well as French and Math (I had them yesterday) he’s also in my History, English AND Homeroom class, so we go to the same assemblies, and get health and RE at the same time. Sad thing is, my last name is Reed, so we don’t sit near each other.
After school, we hit the Mall. It’s a ritual thing in our school- on certain days we do certain things -and by “we” I mean nine tenths of the student body the other tenth is basically freshmen who haven’t grasped the concept)- and we can only have parties on Friday and Saturday nights, except for on vacations like Summer, where the rules get dropped. Basically, our week is as follows:

Monday: Homework/ Hang at Coffee House (Klimt generally)
Tuesday: Mall
Wednesday: Klimt
Thursday: Movies (there’s a discount)
Friday: Dates/Party!!
Saturday: Mall, Date then Party!!
Sunday: Friends hang out/ homework

I don’t know how we get into that ritual, we just, sorta, do. All the local business owners know the Carlton-Teenager’s schedule, and they’ve adapted. Klimt (named after Gustav Klimt, a late 19th- early 20th century painter) always had live bands on Mondays and Wednesdays, so that one’s easy to figure out, and so is Movies on a Thursday ‘cuz of the discounts, but who came up with Mall on a Tuesday? Meh, we’re used to it now.
Anyway, Riley wasn’t used to it, and wanted to see the Mall. It was just a couple of miles away, so we got a bus. It was between two towns, so it was pretty big, with all the big brands and a few local boutiques we all loved. Phoebs and I went into the fragrance store, and I got a little sample bottle of Hugo Boss, so I can now smell Riley anytime my heart desires, in the privacy of my room. I also got some Moschino “I Love Love” I’d been looking for (partly because the bottle is really cool, partly because it smells so great) and then we hit the clothes stores. Riley actually cared about what he looked like, which is a lot to be said for guys at our school. Phoebe and I left the guys to look around at the menswear and went upstairs to check out the new stock. When we got up there, Phoebe grabbed my shoulders and said “Ken, we’re not leaving here without a killer outfit that’ll totally blow Riley away.”
I was a little alarmed; Phoebe had always been into fashion, but never this serious! It was then that I realised what a great friend she was- she knew exactly what to pick for me. I got a new pair of Etnies, and a new vest to wear over a T-shirt. It wasn’t really mind-blowing, though.
“Riley’s not that type of guy!” she said, albeit a bit loud,”He isn’t the mini-skirt-thigh-high dude; he’s the fat-shoe-baggy-jeans one. If he doesn’t think you’re cute in this outfit, even if it IS a little basic, you can shoot me.”
It was so sweet. We paid and came down, welcomed by the three guys with their arms folded and bags littering the area around their feet.
“What took you so long?!” cried Josh. Phoebe rolled her eyes and laughed. She can handle weird situations really well, something I need to get her to teach me.
We all went to Subway, and afterwards caught the bus home. Phoebe and Josh got to their house first, and then it was Mattie. Riley walked me to my door, and on the way we chatted about music and stuff. It was easy to talk to him; I loved that. I was about to open my door, when he stopped me.
“Hey, what’re you doing Saturday?” His eyes were boring into mine, I nearly melted.
“Uh, nothing, there’s a party at Lucy’s but, I’m not invited.” He looked a little shocked.
“Oh, well, d’you wanna come with me? It’ll be fun, y’know? Or we can go to a movie, if you want.”
I don’t know what came over me, but all of a sudden I got… confident!
“Well, there’s a movie discount thing on Thursday at the Multiplex, so, if you want, I’ll get the tickets? We can go to Lucy’s on Saturday that way.”
“Man, I’d love to, but Lucy asked me to that. Saturday, though, definitely; you can pick where we go, okay?” He smiled at me. Lucy had a boyfriend, but I didn’t know what to say… I did what I felt was right, which was to say “bye” and ran upstairs to my room.

488 Reviews

Reviews: 488
Sun May 01, 2005 7:05 pm
Meshugenah says...

I enjoyed readinng this. I do agree with earlier comments that you have to be carefull with writing this and letting it become sterotypical, though. I was happy to see that there wern't any constencey errors (well, that i noticed). Made it much easier to read. I'll definately be reading your next instalement.
***Under the Responsibility of S.P.E.W.***
(Sadistic Perplexion of Everyone's Wits)

Medieval Lit! Come here to find out who Chaucer plagiarized and translated - and why and how it worked in the late 1300s.

I <3 Rydia

Random avatar

Reviews: 241
Tue May 03, 2005 5:46 pm
Harley says...

Thanks. It's a bit stereotypical, yeah, but i have this cool plot thingy I'm toying with, but it would need loadsa research and i'm, well, lazy.

This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much all of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movement of small green pieces of paper, which was odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.
— Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy