Young Writers Society

two crescent moons 1.2

1125 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1125
Tue Sep 27, 2011 8:32 pm
StellaThomas says...

Edited- 7th October 2011.

We all drain our cups and pile into Mum’s ageing blue car. Elsie takes the front seat without question. She knows I don’t want to look out of the windscreen. Whenever I do there’s only one thing greeting me. Instead I stare grimly at the hairy floor mats covered in crisp crumbs and wait the ride out as fast as I can. At least the instructor’s car smelt clean and official, so the crowded, stale scent of Mum’s car is no worse than usual.
The hospital car park is so thoroughly ordinary I want to write to Hollywood and complain for raising my expectations. Red brick, with ambulances moving around lethargically, well-cushioned consultants climbing into their cars, exhausted junior doctors and nurses coming off early morning shifts, whole families bringing small children laden with flowers and get-well cards for sick relatives. I look around shiftily but there’s no one I know in the car park.
Elsie and Mum have been here so often they know where they’re going on instinct so I just follow their lead. The nurse on the desk nods to us. ‘Here to see Will?’ she asks, looking at me with a questioning smile.
“This is my brother Andrew,” Elsie supplies. The nurse must know because her mouth goes round and she nods, waves us through silently.
Elsie and Mum continue through a couple of corridors. They suddenly turn into a room on the right. I can hear them greeting Will’s own mother. I fill my nostrils with the disinfectant smell of the hospital before standing in the doorway.
Will’s bed is surrounded by machines, an IV drip in his arm, a heart monitor beeping, a ventilator over his face. He looks clean, too clean, as if they’ve wiped off everything that made him him, that cheeky grin, the gelled hair that came along with everything about Will Jameson, the rugby captain, adored by everyone except those who hated him. Here he’s just a boy in a hospital bed.
His mother shares his black hair and general good looks, but as she looks up strands of silver catch the pale light. “Andrew,” she says faintly.
I press my lips together and incline my head instead of smiling because smiling would feel wrong. “Mrs Jameson.”
“My husband is at work,” she says, her voice on the point of breaking. “Just getting things in order. Things start to go awry when the boss is away.”
Elsie nods, taking the chair beside her as if they do this all the time. I guess they do. “Has there been any change?”
“None.” Mrs Jameson takes a shaky breath. “They’re… they’re talking about pulling the plug.”
My stomach leaps. I drag my eyes away from Will, look out into the corridor. A nurse walks past and smiles at me. “Everything okay?”
I shake my head and shift so I’m completely outside the room. I lean against the window and shut my eyes. So I’m a killer after all and not just a life-destroyer.
“Andy’s taking it hard,” I hear Mum say. “He just doesn’t know what to do or say-“
“He’s here,” Mrs Jameson says softly. “That means a lot to me. Make sure he knows that.”
There’s a pause, then a rustling of clothes and the sound of a chair scraping on the linoleum. “I might go get a coffee. Do you think you could watch Will?”
“Of course,” Elsie says softly. “Take all the time you need.”
Her low heels click across the floor and her head pops out to me. “Those windows show shadows, you know,” she says and amazingly, she winks. Her fake-tanned hand reaches down and squeezes mine. “Will would like it if you saw him. I know he would.”
“Mrs Jameson, I’m so sorry,” I say, choking on the words not knowing what else to say. “I can only imagine how angry you must be.”
“I am,” she says frowning as if she hasn’t really thought about it yet. “But not at you. Are you a Christian, Andrew?”
The question takes me by surprise. “No,” I say. “Agnostic.”
She shrugs. “I am. Will is too. I’m beginning to think God had a reason for this. I only hope that he has a reason to bring Will back too. Whatever happens, it’s meant to be, and I think Will would like to see you and have the chance to forgive you.”
I bite the inside of my cheek so hard I think I may have drawn blood. There’s a part of me that may have found the words laughable at some point but now how can they be? Mrs Jameson is praying for her dying son and yet I’ve done nothing for him. Even though I don’t agree with her, I bow my head and say softly, “I’ll give him that chance,” which seems to please her.
She inclines her dark head and then moves down the corridor, hips swaying in her jeans. I twist around the doorframe once more. “Andy,” Mum says eagerly, “come see Will.”
She says it as if he’s an interesting animal in a zoo. I grimace, Elsie mirrors it. For all our fights over the years and all our saying that we’ve grown apart, sometimes we really do share thoughts. I shuffle a little closer so I can see the bump where Will’s nose was broken in rugby, his knuckles that have dealt so many punches to Christian Connolly and his ilk. Although we were not friends and I detested him for everything he was, I was lucky he had never really taken a dislike to me in return.
“He’s asleep,” I say with a shrug.
“He’s in a coma,” Mum says patiently. “Not just asleep.”
“Mum, do you have to make everything worse all the time?” Elsie says angrily. It’s not for my sake though. Her eyes are damp. I may be a clueless boy but even I can tell she considered Will more than a classmate. Perhaps that’s why she and Anita stopped being friends.
“I’m simply explaining the situation,” Mum says in that same fake voice she’s used since it happened.
“I’m aware of the situation,” I say. “In case you can’t remember, it’s my fault.”
“Don’t talk about it like that, Andy, it was an accident.”
“It was still me,” I say grimly, watching Will, waiting for a flicker of life, any indication that he’s still in there. There’s none.
Elsie must feel tension bubbling because she stands up, takes Mum by the arm. “We should go give Mrs Jameson some attention, leave Andrew with Will for a while. Right?” She looks at me, wondering if that’s what I really want.
“Y-yeah,” I say, considering being alone with Will better than being with my mother as she tries to make everything sound alright. “I mean, it’s not like I’ll talk to him or anything. But… five minutes?”
Elsie smiles smugly to herself as they leave, proud to have evaded conflict. She wouldn’t have so much practice playing peacemaker if she didn’t start so many arguments in the first place. I learned quickly in secondary school that not starting trouble was the best way to stay out of it.
And yet here I am, sitting alone with Will Jameson, who started every fight.
The monitors whirr and beep to themselves. I look outside to the corridor which is empty all of a sudden. For the time being, there’s only me and Will.
“I’m sorry,” I tell him truthfully. “Really sorry. It was an accident.”
No response. Of course there’s no response.
“So, you’re a Christian, huh? So did not see that one coming.”
The heart monitor pumps out its rhythm.
“But where the hell were you going in such a rush anyway?” I ask. “You sprinted out. Did you run out of hair gel? Did you lose a bet on a Heineken cup game?”
Will does not answer to either and I stop. The silence seeps back into the room as if someone is blowing up a balloon.
I stand up, not able to take it anymore. I’ll just leave, find Elsie and Mum, allow Mrs Jameson back to her post with no interruptions from the person responsible for this whole mess. I never liked Will before. There’s no reason I should pretend to like him now. I look down at his expressionless face once more.
Something makes me reach out my hand. I’d like to say it’s some indescribable force, but it’s probably just my own sub-conscious, telling me I should offer Will some affection before I go. My fingers reach out and touch his hand, all knuckles and angles.
An electric shock jumps between my skin and his, static searching for the ground. I jump back.
And so does Will.
"Stella. You were in my dream the other night. And everyone called you Princess." -Lauren2010

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:01 pm
View Likes
Charlie II says...

Oh hello hipster! :wink:

Perspective

You've got the "teenage" part of the perspective down perfectly. I like the observations about the car and references to the instructor's car, etc. Furthermore (I've always wanted to say that in a critique!) using your superb med-student knowledge, I guess, you've got the idea of a hospital down nicely. I especially like the "exhausted junior doctors" -- don't think I didn't notice!

Also you seem pretty fine with the nuts and bolts of writing -- I don't think you really need any help with that at the moment, so I'll concentrate on broader aspects.

One final thing, though: I know you might initially shy away from this, but you do have the opportunity to contrast the deep emotional situation with some more light humour. In fact, if done tastefully, I think it would make the serious parts stand out more. Plus, through the eyes of a teenage boy, there is a lot of humour in the world.

For example, there could be a comment about his Mum's driving, and references to the (usually!) appalling state of NHS parking. It doesn't need to be lol'ing funny, but it would be nice to see a bit more wit. Heavens -- it might even make The Boy Who Lived a bit more interesting.

The Boy Who Lived

Yeah, you know what's wrong.

I just don't care about him at the moment. Even when he's obnoxious to the guy in the coma, at least he's vaguely interesting -- but the problem with that is that I now don't like him as a character. Between whining and insulting it doesn't feel like he's growing on me yet.

I thought the way he wanted to laugh at Mrs Jameson's "religion" was pretty awful, really. I'm not sure if you're trying to make him dislikeable or just immature, but this was a key moment. Sure she hasn't thought it through much, and sure it's rather funny for the reader to see that "God has a reason" attitude, but that's only safe for the reader to laugh at -- not, in my opinion, the character.

Weirdly, I find myself wanting to know more about The Boy Who Didn't Live.

The Boy Who Didn't Live (or did he?)

I quite like Will Jameson. Just in the same way it's possible to like Tony Stonem or Regina George once they've been hit by a fast-moving vehicle. He's a character with strengths and flaws and you can recognise "him" in people you knew at school. He wasn't a good guy, perhaps, but he didn't deserve this -- and there's the poeticism and the interest, in my eyes.

Is this what you intended? I want to read more to find out whether he makes it or not!

Plot: Engage!

So I'm not sure how you'll eventually chapter-ise this, but at the moment it's not looking good. The first half really shouldn't have been posted on its own because, without this ending, it just trails off. But you already know that (according to chat!) so I won't harp on. I'm not sure how lengths work really, but it might be worth trying to split it into two chapters, or at least get *somewhere* with the action a bit quicker.

The main "conflict" so far is between Andrew and his taxi-driver (I hesitate to use the word parent because there seems to be no parental instincts in her what-so-ever -- you think she'd at least have some sympathy!), then Andrew and himself, and finally Andrew and Mrs Jameson. As Andrew's internal conflict makes such a bit part of the interest in the story, the reader needs to feel engaged with the character. Perhaps it might even be worth having a prologue where the car-crash "happens" -- just to see Andrew before the accident.

While your writing is technically good, I'm not sure what's drawing me in yet (apart from Will and the twitch that we see at the end of the chapter!). I think the tragedy itself is a good hook, but I'm not sure it can last quite such a long chapter without being bolstered by some more action. Though, bear in mind, I am a BOY and would normally pick something with more action/adventure to read anyway -- so take my criticism carefully.

Overall

As I said before -- well written, not so well characterised but definitely better than in "1.1". You've got a talent with words, and the situation itself is compelling, but right now (in its rough draft state) I'm only reading for Will's sake. You've got a lot of potential here to expand this -- maybe improving Andrew's "voice" by making his perspective of the world more personal -- and, knowing you, I reckon you'll pull something out of the bag.

Finally, because you ended this chapter properly, "Please, sir? Can I have some more?" :P

Charlie
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:57 pm
View Likes
Vervain says...

I promise not to be horribly pedantic here. Otherwise this would take hours for me to analyse the use of every single word. >.>

So I'll start out by saying that I like your characterisation. I like how you went with your characters - they aren't perfect people, they aren't all polar opposites, and they definitely are not all the same. There's a healthy amount of variation. This piece deals with the negative consequences of a car accident, mentally and physically, as well as something... more than that. Perhaps it's just the way you started and ended and left the reader waiting for you to say something more. Perhaps it's the way you involve such wonderful realistic elements alongside the more-than-slightly unreal, at the end of the chapter.

I would have to say that your characterisation may be a little too drastic. I, for one, can't believe that Andrew detested Will; I just don't see that in his character. Maybe if I got to know him a bit more as a character-person, which is difficult in part two, but not right now. Maybe he disliked Will; maybe he didn't agree with him, but he doesn't seem like a detesting person towards the guy in a coma. Yeah, some of that's probably just the guilt from the accident and what he ostensibly did, but some of that has to be real and true emotion.

You tend to use very strong words such as detest when the feeling is simply too strong to be properly evoked. In these beginning chapters, surrounded by softer and guiltier emotions, detest simply looks out of place.

However, I do agree with Andrew's response - physical, mental - to Mrs Jameson's question. That would be exactly the mood someone like him would have towards someone like her, I would think, and his internal query of what he's done for Will, while Mrs Jameson's been praying, fits just as well. I can believe that at one point he would have laughed, that he would have been scornful, and he does seem a bit like an impulsive brat. The thing is, some people are impulsive brats. And some impulsive brats are wonderful points of view.

All in all, while your word choice wasn't exactly to my liking, the characterisation was spot-on. I enjoy your so-called "manipulation" of the characters' emotions, the way that Andrew is the lesser-referred twin when it comes to decisions like that, the way he acts compared to the way Elsie acts. I like Elsie, too, kind of. She's easy to relate to, so far.

One thing I might suggest improving isn't imagery - you have that wonderfully; you give the reader a good image in their head - is Andrew's reasoning with himself. Yes, at times he expresses feelings of regret which emanate throughout all of his actions, but it seems like you throw in him questioning his actions when you remember to. It makes for what's really a rather jolting ride.

Also, I like that you didn't have everyone absolute friends at the beginning. That can be annoying. Also, the guys the MC dislikes at the start aren't necessarily the bad guys, hm? Entertaining story, it carries a catchy tune for whomever might want to look at it. It definitely caught my eye.
stay off the faerie paths

529 Reviews

Reviews: 529
Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:36 pm
xDudettex says...

Hey there Stella!

So I think the reviewers before me have already done an awesome job of mentioning all of the things that I was going to point out, and in a much better way too!

Andrew seems okay. I mean, we don't really know that much about him, apart from the fact that he almost killed a guy and he's feeling a bit guilty about it. The guilt makes him human I guess, but I think we need to dive a little deeper to get to know the real him. This is only the first chapter though, and it takes time to express a character. I don't dislike him but I don't like him yet either. He's not making me want to give up reading this though, so that's good.

I've read the synopsis that you've written about this and I think the concept is great. The last part of this chapter made me sit up in my seat and think, 'Oh, here we go.' I'm glad something's happening already. There's nothing worse than a story that takes ages to start, if you get what I mean.

You have a great way with words, and the descriptions and dialogue made the piece an enjoyable read.

I'm looking forward to chapter two :)

xDudettex
'Stop wishing for the sunshine. Start living in the rain.' - Kids In Glass Houses.

'Would you destroy something perfect in order to make it beautiful?' - MCR artwork.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:46 pm
tinny says...

'Ello Stella! You said you had some great reviews on the first part of this (and so you do!) so I thought I'd mosey on down to this part ;D

Some small things, to begin with:

Elsie takes the front seat without question. She knows I don%u2019t want to look out of the windscreen. Whenever I do there%u2019s only one thing greeting me.

The third sentence in this is redundant, I think. By the second one we've already got a solid idea of why he doesn't want to sit in the front, and so the third just feels a little like pointing out the obvious.

The hospital car park is so thoroughly ordinary I want to write to Hollywood and complain for raising my expectations.

I really like this, along with the following description. It's so neat :D that's probably not the best word, but it's still fitting.

Elsie and Mum have been here so often...

Elsie and Mum continue through a couple of corridors...

I only point this out because the two paragraphs are so close to each other that the repetition is pretty noticeable.

This is where I feel a little useless, because I'm not quite sure what to say! I quite like the sort of internal conflict that Andrew experiences when the subject of religion is brought it, I felt a similarly strange mix of entertainment and sadness when I was at a funeral recently. It all sounded so silly to me, and I felt so bad for thinking that, so I think his reaction is down pretty good there.

One thing that did bother me is the lack of sympathy that his sister and mother seem to have. You probably mentioned when the accident was and I've just been a bit dense when reading this while sleepy and missed it, but I think that if I'd done that to someone I'd be a bit of a mess. It feels a little like they think he's making a big deal out of nothing and should find visiting Will and seeing his mother not-that-much-of-a-big-deal.

So sorry that I've not got more to say! Do let me know if anything I have said doesn't make sense, I was quite sleepy and tired while writing this >>;;

- tinny
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

I will not condemn you for what you did yesterday, if you do it right today.
— Sheldon S. Maye