z

Young Writers Society

Clique Breaker: Chapter Twelve

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:27 pm
AngelKnight900 says...

The sunny day marked a new day and a new year. I woke up with a sort of confidence and I felt determined to do this mission. This was done out of my own power and without my consent, but I had no choice. I knew what I was going to do. Today I wasn't going to sit with the debate team but with a whole group of people. I was going to do this for a week so I could get to know information about the different cliques in this school. Tyler already got the information down but with time comes minor changes.

I heard a car honk outside. This meant that I had to get ready fast.

"Jay, Marcus is outside!" my mom called from the bottom of the stairs.

I instantly took a shower, threw on some my layers of clothes, grabbed a Luna bar and was out the door. Marcus was waiting outside the car. He held me and kissed me, before letting me go inside. I blushed immensely but I knew today I had to focus.

"What are we doing today?" he asked

From the eager look on his face, I knew he wanted to do something that resembled a couple but I had work to do.

"I was thinking that we sit with different people today."

I saw him cock his eyebrow and soon my confidence in my plan decreased. I was just going to have to wait to see how this will go.
____________________________________________________________________________________________________

Lunch finally came and here I was, ready to put my plan into action. I decided to work with the kids that were easier to get to persuade. I decided to start with the "jocks". Marcus followed closely behind me; he didn't trust these big guys around me.

As I approached, the usual rowdiness of the boys decreased to a minimum. They watched me as I approached them and one of them winked at me, but looked away in fear when Marcus wrapped his arm around my waist.

I was starting to grow nervous but I didn't let anyone see it.

"Hi, Jay." They all said in unison.

I smiled and started playing with my fingers. I couldn't make this too obvious.

"You guys ever thought of sitting on the other side of the cafeteria?"

They all looked at me weird. "What? Near those losers?" one of them asked, pointing at the "nerds".

"You guys come from practice hot and sweaty. You guys are of clear view of the sun through the windows. So..."

They all looked at each other and shrugged. "Okay."

I watched them all get up and sit at the opposite side of the cafeteria. The "nerds" looked at them in surprise, but tried to continue what they were doing. They looked very confused.

"So what do we do now?" Marcus asked

"We keep going."

By the time lunch was over, I managed to integrate the whole cafeteria. My day was complete.

After school, Marcus and I went out to a diner to grab a burger. We cuddled on the seats and I started to feel at peace. Then. I heard shouting.

"What's that?" I moaned

"Well, let's just say that some people aren't happy?"

It seems that integrating the upper and lower classes of the social pyramid must have been a mistake as the lower class came up to me. They all shouted at once but I didn't get it. I remembered watching the effect of moving people around and there didn't seem to be any problems.

Angelica, captain of the chess team, came up to me first. "I think that us, as humans, should have the right not to share the same atmosphere with those who have been embarrassing us since the beginning of time."

"Angelica, you believe in humans rights, right?"

She nodded her head. I got out of my spot on Marcus's lap and stood up to her. "Well, wouldn't you find it unfair if they thought the same thing about you?"

"But they do!" She was right.

"Why don't you be the mature ones and actually move on from it?"

She looked at me in anger, but she knew I was right. I could see her struggling, trying to find something to say.

"But what if they try to change us, forcing us to become one of them?" This was asked by a freshman, who had red curly hair and freckles.

"Well this is high school, honey. You just got to find who you are," then I faced the whole crowd. " To all of you, it's time you continued on with your lives. Have some confidence."

They all looked away from me, then I realized something.

"Are you guys saying you have no confidence?"

A tall boy with thick glasses and shaggy hair came up. "Well, when you're constantly put down because you're not cool enough or handsome enough or whatever, your self-esteem has nothing to do but go down."

"How many of you have gone to a party? Not a family party though."

No one had raised their hand.

"How many of you have gone to a school dance?"

No one.

"How many of you have tried to step out of your shell?"

Two times is okay, but three had to mean something. I turned to Marcus. "I got an idea."

For the first time, he actually chuckled at my plans. "I'm way ahead of you."

He got up from his seat to stand next to me, wrapping his arm around me.

"Okay, next Friday, there's a party at my house. Look your best. There's going to be games, food, drinks, etcetera."

"But will those other kids be there?"

Marcus and I looked at each other. "No."

"If you guys need any party help, you know where to contact us."

All of them nodded and then left with small smiles on their faces.

"So new plan. We're giving these kids a confidence boost?" Marcus asked

"There's only unity when there's equality right. So if we get these kids to be just as confident as the others, then something might just happen."

"You know Jay, you can't grant equality."

"I know, but we can try to come close."
True confidence leaves no room for jealousy. When you know your are great, you have no need to hate.
-Nicki Minaj

You know how hard it is to feel like an extreme falcon-headed combat machine when somebody calls you "chicken man"?
— Rick Riordan, The Red Pyramid