z

Young Writers Society

Being the Change: Scene 1

82 Reviews

Reviews: 82
Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:32 pm
TheClosetKidnapper says...

Tick-tock, Kara White watched the clock as she waited for the bell to ring to dismiss her from this wasted period of "ACT". The only real purpose of having this class to students is to spend the time talking to their friends. Sadly for Kara, this was not her favorite class. No one in this room intrigued her. Not even the kid with the ring through his nose. He was cute to her though... in a weird kind of way.
Beep! Beep!
"Thank God that's over," She whispered to herself.
" So, yeah, I think I'll be able to come over this weekend if my mom doesn't mind." Rachel Blake said.
They act like they never left each other for the past thirty minutes and continued their conversation like it was nobody's business.
"I know she won't. Your mom loves me. You have been my best-friend since like the fifth grade. So I will be seeing you this weekend. Ha-ha." Kara protested.
" Fine. Whatever you say, Kara." Rachel said, shaking her head.
They walked the rest of the way to the cafeteria in lit chatter. The tables were full of tasteless food on Styrofoam trays or delicious delectable's from an odd lunchbox or two. It was loud. There was no one place in that school where the noise level had breached that of the cafeteria.
Lunch- the half an hour a day where a student could do whatever they pleased.
There was a particular table watched closely by a particular teacher. Derak Feldman. Mr. Feldman to the students and half the staff. Everyone knew not to mess with Feldman. He had a face like a parrot and rumored eyes in the back of his head. He saw everything. And fourth period lunch was his one time a day he could crack on the misbehaviors of others, where he could boss people around, where he could eat the sandwich he hand-packed every morning, crust cut off of course. The lunch room was Feldman's kingdom and he had five suspicious subjects at the very start of the food fest.
Table 21, far right towards the corner, sat maybe the most interesting teenagers in Turnersville High, if not the world. Kara and Rachel walked straight to it. Kaitlynn Winters was the first to meet them there after getting their lunches. Eric Anderson and Kendall O'Brian followed her.
"So what's up with you guys?" Eric asked. "Got any plans for the weekend?"
"Yeah, actually, I'm having a little shindig at my place on Saturday." Kara beamed.
"You're having a party and you didn't even invite me? How rude. See I thought we were friends." He pouted at her unkindness.
"It's not a party, just a little popcorn and soda between me and Rache. Nothing big." She munched on her carrots waiting for his response.
Would he know I was lying, She thought.
Eric eyed her, but with some help from Kaitlynn, he moved his glance.
"Hey you see that guy over there?" Kaitlynn asked, pointing. " Well, watch this."
She had a look on her face that made someone want to back away, but her friends couldn't. As they looked in the direction that her wicked eyes pointed and watched the guy, nothing happened. The next minute was a different story.
" What are you trying to say?!" He screamed, as he rose from his seat and threw his tray across his table which was four down from 21.
The whole cafeteria hushed except for table 21, which burst out in laughter.
"Kaitlynn! You can't just mess with people like that!" Kara tried to say but it got jumbled in her laughter.
But Kendall had the same idea, as she jabbed him in the ribs to say something, so he spoke her words instead.
"Huh?" He looked to Kara, then looked back at Kaitlynn. "Kait you can't, ha-ha, go around messing with people like that. I mean just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Trust me that was funny and I give you your props."
He hi-fived her and sat back down.
"But.. relax it a little. I think people are beginning to get suspicious." He finished.
It sounded more like encouragement than calming down.
"Yeah, Kendall's probably right. I mean, look. Mr. Feldman is even on his way over here," commented Rachel.
Mr. Feldman walked his way over to famous Table 21, but not before eyeing each of them personally to see which one would break down first. The lunchroom kept it's normal buzz but curious bystanders turned to see Table 21 get served their daily treatment of Mr. Feldman. The students looked up at him, their trays half empty. They seemed oblivious.
" Good afternoon, Mr. Feldman. How are you this fine day?" Eric smiled.
Mr. Feldman glowered at the young man, and answered with full resent and a fake smile. " Well, my first break of the day and I have to worry myself and break up whatever you would call that." He pointed at the table four down. "So, as you should be able to guess, my day is not going as great as yours, I see" He gestured at their little group.
"What do you mean?" Kendall asked. "We're just excited about our weekend."
"Kara's even having a party!" Yelled Kait, who had gone suspiciously quiet, probably finding a new victim.
"A party?" He smirked. "Hmm, does that mean I should expect to see you on the 10 o'clock news then?"
" Umm no-"
He cut off Kara off mid-sentence to continue the gibberish he was speaking.
" So, the real reason I came over here, other than to bother you children, was to ask about your involvement in what happened over there." Again he gestured to the table four down.
Kara spoke up this time. " Are you serious? A smart man like you is actually accusing us for that! This has to be a joke."
The whole table knew with every fiber in their bodies that they had everything to do with it, but they couldn't let him know that.
"Why no this is not a joke young lady. I'm not a stupid man. I know that she," He pointed a pudgy finger at Kaitlynn, "had something to do with it!"
Sweat was beginning to form on his forehead. Kendall decided to save Kara from the tongue lashing they were receiving. In more than one way he was her hero.
He stood an faced the bully. "Whoa, Mr. Feldman. There's no need to yell at Kara like that. I mean if you think about what your saying, does it make any sense? How could sweet old Kait make that happen?"
Mr. Feldman was up for the challenge. " I specifically remember her staring at the young man before his 'fit' and I also remember the rest of you all looking the same way." He stared at Kendall as if to say 'beat that'. Kendall stared right back, then broke out into laughter. Mr. Feldman's face turned a bright red.
Kendall was bent over laughing but managed to speak. " Mr-Mr. Feldman, ha-ha, you surly don't know Kait as good as we do. That guy that she was gawking at is her new crush!"
He elbowed Eric in the arm and doubled over in laughter once more. At the same time Kait rose in protest. Kara was able to drag her back down before more damage was done.
"Yeah, she's quite fond of the fellow, so she decided to show him to us. And we laughed at the guy she picked to like. And his little 'accident' didn't make him look any better." Rachel reasoned.
Before he could protest, a blood-curling scream came from one of the hallways that branched off of the cafeteria. He gave their group a vicious look and walked away.
Eric looked behind them, seeing Freddie, the weird kid who seemed to always had someone to stare at. He was intently gazing at Table 21. Eric's nerves vibrated inside him.
"Finally! I mean, I thought he was never gonna leave! Like, seriously?" wailed Kait. "But thanks, Kendall. If you hadn't said something who knew what would have happened. "
" Well, I got to stick up for my girl." Kendall smiled, looking at Kara. "No one yells at her like that unless it's us arguing, right, babe?"
She was doubled over with a pained expression, looking down.
"Kara?" Kendall called. "Rachel, grab her shoulders. Get her up!"
A teacher passed as the bell rang and Kara seemed to recover as if nothing had happened. She told everyone she was okay as they all grabbed their backpacks and started going their separate ways. Kaitlynn went left while Kara and Rachel turned right, catching up with Kendall.
Freddie stood and seemed to follow the girls. Eric shook his head, disgusted by the stalker, and turned his back.

Feldman came out of the staff bathroom, after seeing another set of teachers chase the scream, and watched his lost prey . He didn't like the one they called Kaitlin. Something about her was different. Cara was polite, but he knew she laughed with the others after he left. Rachel just had an attitude. Kendall was too much of a clown like Eric. He was going to figure them out and bust them too. He sighed and walked back to his classroom, defeat on his face.
I'm never what I like
I'm double sided
And I just can't hide
I kind of like it
When I make you cry
'Cause I'm twisted up, twisted up
Inside

Semiautomatic
twenty one pilots

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:47 am
volleyball13 says...

There was a particular table watched closely by a particular teacher. Derak Feldman. Mr. Feldman to the students and half the staff. Everyone knew not to me 

I think it would be better if you put "watched closely by a particular teacher, Derak Feldman."
I can't find any other error (then again, I'm not the best at editing).
"Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children."
Walt Disney

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Wed Nov 30, 2011 12:48 am
volleyball13 says...

There was a particular table watched closely by a particular teacher. Derak Feldman. Mr. Feldman to the students and half the staff. Everyone knew not to me 

I think it would be better if you put "watched closely by a particular teacher, Derak Feldman."
I can't find any other error (then again, I'm not the best at editing).
"Crowded classrooms and half-day sessions are a tragic waste of our greatest national resource - the minds of our children."
Walt Disney

I communicate much better on paper than I do when I open my mouth.
— Aaron Sorkin