z

Young Writers Society

Samodiva

100 Reviews

Reviews: 100
Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:35 am
Hecate says...

Spoiler! :
This is an idea I've been toying around with for a while and I really wanted to write something already. This is part of the potential beginning. I really want to portray them as monsters who lack compassion, so please tell me if I've done a good job.

The most frightening screech escaped her lips as her body convulsed. An excruciating pain had taken over it, like daggers stabbing her repeatedly. Around her, the demons stood in a circle staring calmly, save for the two that stood by her laughing. Blood was dripping from their lips. Her blood. Her energy.
‘Chimaka, I would suggest you start talking now.’ Elias said, a hint of boredom in his voice. ‘My new ones are truly enjoying the taste of your blood. It is rather…rejuvenating, I would imagine.’
‘Dearest, there is no need for this kind of torture.’ Nichole gently took Elias’s hand, staring into his eyes. Her frail, sickly figure frightened everybody. They knew she had not long to live.
‘There is.’ Elias said. ‘I’m sorry I’ve upset you. You look weaker than ever.’ He stared into her eyes, and his own filled with pain. He broke his gaze abruptly and turned towards the demon child.
‘Catalina!’ He called, staring at the real life porcelain doll he called a daughter ‘Your mother needs to rest. Go with her.’
Catalina nodded, and took her mother by her hand. Together, they left the grand hall, Nichole turning ever so slightly and staring at the young woman with sorrow in her eyes.
‘Chimaka, I cannot kill you like I did with your obstinate sisters. You are the last one of them.’ Elias said exasperated when Nichole had left. ‘You crossed all boundaries however. Your coven is responsible for the curse you placed on the one thing that holds any meaning to me in this world and that I will not forgive you. Now, speak.’
Chimaka stared at him, her plump lips barely opening as she whispered three words in a thick African accent. No ordinary human would have been able to hear her, but everyone in that circle heard her.
‘Go to hell.’
‘Listen, witch’ Elias spat out. ‘I will not let you kill her. Whatever you did to her, you will undo. Do you hear me?’
Chimaka laughed hysterically, a sound which was borderline crazy. She faced him and said:
‘Her death will be your undoing. You won’t be able to survive it. I will watch you die with her and the greatest of all evils will leave this planet. Has she started vomiting blood yet?’
Elias seemed paler than ever.
‘Oh, she’s almost there then. She’ll be gone soon. And with her, you will too. You let yourself feel Elias, even when you knew you shouldn’t have. Too bad that your only redeeming quality will be what brings you down in the end.’
‘I see we’re going to have to do this the hard way.’ Elias said calmly after he had composed himself. He clapped his hands, ‘Carlo, bring her in.’
The woman’s eyes filled with terror as she looked at the little girl that walked in, holding a blond boy’s hand. Her thick brown curls, chocolate skin and green eyes mimicked that of the woman who lay on the ground. It was her daughter.
‘Abagbe…’ She whispered in amazement.
‘Start talking, witch.’ The blond boy said. He didn’t look more than thirteen, but she knew that he was perhaps one of the oldest ones here.
But how could she talk? This is what her sisters had died for. To rid this planet of this evil, to ensure that no one ever had to suffer again. How could she give it away?
‘It looks like she’ll need a little nudge, Carlo.’ Elias said, a smile playing on his lips.
The boy smiled innocently and grabbed the little girl’s shoulders, carefully parting her hair and exposing her throat. The little girl gasped, but didn’t have enough time to realize what was happening. In a flash, he bit into her neck and fed.
An infuriated cry from hell escaped Chimaka’s lips. Tears flowed freely down her cheeks as Abagbe fell to the ground.
‘She’s still alive.’ Elias said bored. ‘I reckon she will be for a while. Unless I ask Carlo to continue feeding.’
‘No, no more.’ She cried, her face twisted in unbearable agony. ‘You need the blood of a samodiva. You need the blood of a true samodiva.’
‘Now that wasn’t so hard, was it?’ Elias asked, smiling.
‘Take the witches up to one of the free chambers.’ He added. ‘ They’ll be staying with us. I do need insurance to make sure this one isn’t lying.’
He stared at Chimaka as though she was a parasite as opposed to a human being, after which he retreated to the Great Hall.
The distinct scent of death in the air hampered the sweet fragrance that would have otherwise predominated. It was feeding time, and all the new ones were busily satisfying the never ending hunger. It was truly a frightening sight, all those young ones who had been human only a few days ago were now viciously ripping into the throats of creatures who had been just like them, and not with the slightest bit of compassion. Elias stared at a young girl sprawled across the floor. She was a sorry sight, her bloodied neck punctured in several places. She must have been truly delicious, if so many had fought over her. Even though she was seemingly dead, he could hear the faintest of heart beats. He contemplated killing her in order to end her misery, but instead stood in his place and watched her turn her head towards him. Her brown eyes bore into his. He saw her beautiful face filled with agony, beseeching him to help her. She would have made a beautiful vampire, he thought. Instead, her heart gave one last thump. Her face relaxed, but her big eyes continued to stare at him. He turned away from the uncomfortable gaze of the dead girl.
‘Elias,’ Adrian called, as he pushed open the gates of the grand hall, ‘I believe we’re ready to go.’
‘Good.’ Elias said, fear glistening in his blue eyes ‘She hasn’t got long to live.’
‘And you’re certain the witch is right?’ Adrian inquired.
‘If she isn’t, I will massacre her family just like I did with her little coven. She has little reason to lie to me.’ Elias replied.
‘I will be taking Julian with me as you asked.’ Adrian said.
‘I believe the two of you should be enough to capture her.’
‘I did wonder if I could take one of the new ones…’Adrian said, looking up at Elias for the first time.
‘I know who you have in mind, the one who has been walking freely for over fifty years. Malachai, I believe his name was? He has been wanting to prove his loyalty to me for a long time. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to take him along. You are certain the insatiable hunger has been stifled?’
‘Positive, Elias. To top it off, he’s a true monster. ’
‘You can bring him in now, I can hear him breathing from the other side of the door.’
Malachai walked in, mimicking Adrian’s confidence. He bowed and lowered his head.
‘Do you know why you’ve been brought in?’ Elias asked.
‘Whatever the reason, I’m ready to serve you.’ Malachai replied.
‘You are to capture a Samodiva.’ Elias said matter-of –factly as though he had people sent to hunt down samodivas at the drop of a hat.
Malachai looked puzzled.
‘What is a samodiva?’ He finally asked.
‘She’s nothing more than a glorified witch. Nymphs, they’re called sometimes. Forest fairies, even. This species lives in Bulgaria. That is where you’ll be capturing her. Adrian, do you want to elaborate?’
Adrian faced him and spoke in a grave tone.
‘A samodiva is a dangerous creature. They often have werewolves for protection, making it nearly impossible to capture. To top it off, they’re strikingly beautiful and will have you believing you’re in love with them without even realizing it. They have special powers, as well, seemingly similar to those of witches. However, they tend to be nocturnal creatures and they usually practice black magic.’
Malachai looked unimpressed.
Elias cleared his throat.
‘Of course, it isn’t possible for a vampire to fall in love, so you’re safe from that. Or rather, it is but it’s exceptionally difficult. I just need you to bring me one of the samodivas.’
‘I will do anything you want me to.’ Malachai replied.
‘Very well. You will be enrolled in a boarding school. It is filled with samodivas, werewolves and witches. I believe you’ve heard of the type-‘
‘Yes.’ Malachai said, surprise finally coloring his voice. ‘I never believed them to exist, however. Are they the bogus schools that only act as such, enroll humans even, but really are a safe haven for the younger magical creatures? It’s where they come to terms with their fate in a place isolated from civilization?’
‘Yes.’ Adrian said. ‘We will be enrolled there, as ‘humans’. We need to befriend a samodiva and capture her.’
‘That doesn’t sound too difficult.’ Malachai finally said.
‘So young, this one.’ Elias chuckled. Then, his voice became serious again. He bent down and whispered in Malachai’s ear, loud enough for just him to hear ‘If you fail me, I will kill you.’
‘I will not fail you.’ Malachai said with determination in his voice.
Blaze Riley put on her aviator Ray Bans as soon as she got out of her Ferrari. She shook out her long blond hair and turned around to face the man in the passenger seat. She smiled at him, waving the keys in his face playfully.
‘Here Pascal,’ She said ‘you take care of my baby while I’m gone.’
The cold Parisian wind played with strands of her hair as she chuckled.
‘Blaze, Blaze,’ He laughed, speaking in a thick French accent ‘What are we going to do with you? You never take anything seriously.’
‘Oh, trust me, I’m taking this extremely seriously.’ Blaze said, a solemn look suddenly shadowing her pretty face. Not that you could see it under the large aviators that covered about half of it.
‘This is serious, Blaze.’ Pascal continued. ‘I trust you with this because you have proved yourself extremely capable in the past.’
‘Pascal, there is no need for anymore of this.’ Blaze said in a French accent, dramatically putting her hand on her forehead.
‘Here.’ Pascal tried to suppress a smile as he handed Blaze her Louis Vuitton handbag. ‘Your luggage has been taken care of. The private jet is ready to leave when you’re ready to leave.’
‘Goodbye Pascal.’ Blaze said waving at her mentor as she made her way to the Charles de Gaulle airport. ‘I won’t fail you!’

Poetry is the art of creating imaginary gardens with real toads.
— Marianne Moore