z

Young Writers Society

Me against Me: Chapter One

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:09 pm
ShakespeareWallah says...

CHAPTER ONE

Everyone hates those people who think they can still do things they dreamt of doing in their early years. I don’t, but everyone seems to hates me. Nobody wants to grow up to become some bloody accountant in some firm. That’s boring. Still a lot of people end up there. I on the other hand rather be unemployed than do that. That being the reason is why I on this glorious morning, when everybody’s off to work trying to look busy, is sitting here on this crap looking café trying to feel some inspiration in my veins so that I can put something on paper.
I am failing. I decide to take a break from trying and look around the café. The morning rush hour has just passed and it’s almost deserted. A teen boy is wiping a table with a piece of cloth. He works here. I’ve been looking at him for a long time now and he surely has noticed. He too eyes at me after a few moments to see if I’m still staring at him. There, he did it again. He’s probably feeling awkward about it but I don’t care. I quit staring after a few minutes and try again concentrating in my work.
I’m not actually unemployed to say, I’m freelance. What do I do? I write. That’s what I’ve always been doing since my teen years, so I’m very comfortable in it. There’s also the fact that I can’t do anything else. I’m now working on a project which is a novel based on a friend. The plot revolves around a gay middle aged guy who falls in love with a troll. Trust me, I’m not joking around. Fantasy is in this days and homosexuality is a major factor these days and both these elements are in my book. So there’s a fat chance it’s going be in the bestsellers list. But the hard part is getting me to get it done in paper.
I get up from my seat; with the tea-mug on my hand (I don’t drink coffee) and went towards the door. I take a deep breath and look outside. Great. Now I’ll borrow more time from myself to get this work done. This time the excuse being a temporary case of writer’s block. The part of me which asking for time is embarrassed now and the part of me that is giving it is disappointed. I’ve done it too many times to know that it will be a while since the book is finished.
I go back to my table and sit down. I notice that the café is empty now except for me and the owner who’s in his cubicle probably counting something. The door moves open and I see somebody coming in. He’s probably my age. Looks quite like me too.
FUCK, It is me .
Last edited by ShakespeareWallah on Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:18 am, edited 2 times in total.

Random avatar

Reviews: 2
Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:21 pm
JamieP says...

This is really good, and i'd love to read more, please continue to write :) Also, check the grammar used, some sentances feel... clunky, but it still reads well!

58 Reviews

Reviews: 58
Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:33 pm
spinelli says...

Okie doke, first things first. YES. You have something very interesting here, and more interesting is the fact that I don't even know what it is but that it's interesting. From this piece, it still appears very raw, very first draft, and there's some minor grammar and syntax errors, but I'll go on that later. For right now, let's talk about your voice. And maybe that's what the whole thing about this piece is. I LOVE the voice you have, mostly because it's so obvious and clear. It's consistent, and even though there is still very little I know personally about the story-teller, I know who they are. Veddy good, veddy good.

Now to specifics.

Puckerman96 wrote:CHAPTER ONE

Everyone hates those people who think they can still do things they dreamt of doing in their early years. I don’t, but everyone seems to hates me. Nobody wants to grow up to become some bloody accountant in some firm. That’s boring. Still a lot of people end up there. I on the other hand would rather be unemployed than do that. That being the reason is why I, [comma] on this glorious morning, when everybody’s off to work trying to look busy, is/am sitting here on this crap- [hyphen]looking café trying to feel some inspiration in my veins so that I can put something on paper.

[Ultimately, a great first paragraph, in my opinion. So simply worded, nothing too fancy and dramatic, exactly what I think often complicates writers. You however, have succeeded. It let's me get a jist for the character's voice, their personality, and gives just enough a glimpse into the current setting but not too much to make it obvious that you, as the writer, are trying to describe the setting. I dig.

I am failing. [<- love] I decide to take a break from trying and look around the café. The morning rush hour has just passed and it’s almost deserted. A teen boy is wiping a table with a piece of cloth. He works here. I’ve been looking at him for a long time now and he surely has noticed. He too eyes at me after a few moments to see if I’m still staring at him. There, he did it again. He’s probably feeling awkward about it but I don’t care. [<- love that one too] I quit staring after a few minutes and try again concentrating in my work.

I’m not actually unemployed to say,[instead of a comma, use a semi-colon.] ; I’m freelance. What do I do? [personally, I don't like that question there, but of course, it's whatever you so desire.]I write. That’s what I’ve always been doing since my teen years, so I’m very comfortable in it. There’s also the fact that I can’t do anything else. [<- could you, or will you eventually, elaborate on this more? or at least be more specific]I’m now working on a project which is a novel based on a friend. The plot revolves around a gay middle-aged guy who falls in love with a troll. Trust me, I’m not joking around. Fantasy is in this/these days, and homosexuality is a major factor these days, and both these elements are in my book. So there’s a fat chance it’s going be in the bestsellers list. But the hard part is getting me to get it done in paper.

I get up from my seat; delete semi-colon with the tea-mug on my hand (I don’t drink coffee) and wentuse "walk" or something there, because "went" is in the past tense and your story, however, is in the present towards the door. I take a deep breath and look outside. Great. Now I’ll borrow more time from myself to get this work done. delete the period and just combine these two sentences with a comma This time the excuse being a temporary case of writer’s block. The part of me which asking for time is embarrassed now and the part of me that is giving it is disappointed. [reword that sentence somehow. I like the idea, but it's worded very strangelyI’ve done it too many times to know that it will be a while since[change "since" to a "while"? the book is finished.

I go back to my table and sit down. I notice that the café is empty now except for me and the owner who’s in his cubicle probably counting something. The door moves open and I see somebody coming in. He’s probably my age. Looks quite like me too.

FUCK, It is me .

Sorry for the nit-picks, I usually stray from commenting on those, but I think you have something really cool with this story. If you have any comments or ever want another opinion on anything, just send it my way.

161 Reviews

Reviews: 161
Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:14 am
NightWriter says...

I read it, kind of thought about what I was going to say, looked down and Spinelli had already said it.
I take my hat off to you both.

There is one bit, I particularly liked, though: the part where he's like, "looks a bit like me too".
There's just something simple and strange about that sentence. I love it.

In my opinion, apart from a couple (and I say 'couple' lightly) grammar mistakes, you're doing well. You're on the right track, anyway. Can't wait to see more!

NightWriter x
raised by wolves // brought up on words.

133 Reviews

Reviews: 133
Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:53 am
ShakespeareWallah says...

thanks for the review everyone.........

"What is a poet? An unhappy person who hides deep anguish in his heart, but whose lips are so formed that when the sigh and cry pass through them, it sounds like lovely music."
— Søren Kierkegaard, Philosopher & Theologian