Flintstones are Coming Back

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed May 18, 2011 2:10 am
Nate says...

The Flintstones to Bed-rock again
By CARA LEE
Published: 17 May 2011

FAMILY Guy creator Seth MacFarlane is about to Yabba-Dabba Doo The Flintstones again with a modern-day twist.

MacFarlane, who is also the brains behind American Dad and The Cleveland Show, is reviving the animation, which is due to hit screens on US network Fox in 2013.

The Flintstones originally aired in America from 1960 to 1966 and followed the lives of Bedrock residents Fred and Wilma Flintstone, their neighbours Barney and Betty Rubble and their children Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm.

MacFarlane said he'd always loved The Flintstones, explaining: "The very first cartoon character I drew at age two was Fred Flintstone. So it's appropriate that events have come full circle, allowing me to produce the newest incarnation of this great franchise.

"Plus, I think America is finally ready for an animated sitcom about a fat, stupid guy with a wife who's too good for him."

Read more: http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sh ... z1MfL13J1f

While I love the idea of a Flintstones revival, I don't really like Seth MacFarlane helming it. The only thing that the Flintstones and Family Guy have in common is that they're both cartoons.

336 Reviews

Reviews: 336
Wed May 18, 2011 2:22 am
Jas says...

I think that last quote was brilliant.
I am nothing
but a mouthful of 'sorry's, half-hearted
apologies that roll of my tongue, smoothquick, like 'r's
or maybe like pocket candy
that's just a bit too sweet.

~*~

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Wed May 18, 2011 2:40 am
View Likes
Lava says...

Eh, I don't like Family Guy. But I do love The Flintstones. Maybe interesting.

But, 'fat,stupid guy with a wife who's too good' meh. Not sure I like it in that way.
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

262 Reviews

Reviews: 262
Wed May 18, 2011 2:47 am
View Likes
ultraviolet says...

"Plus, I think America is finally ready for an animated sitcom about a fat, stupid guy with a wife who's too good for him."

Isn't this Family Guy?
"Blah blah blah. You feel trapped in your life. Here is what I am hearing: happiness isn't worth any inconvenience."

~asofterworld.com

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Wed May 18, 2011 3:18 am
View Likes
Nate says...

Ultraviolet, he was just being facetious in that quote.

However, that quote is also one of the reasons I'm worried. The Flintstones was never about "a fat, stupid guy with a wife who's too good for him."

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Wed May 18, 2011 4:51 am
Lumi says...

I actually think MacFarlane can do it justice. He started off his career at Hanna Barbera writing for Johnny Bravo. Given that, it's all a matter of the writers in the background. Family Guy's writers are notorious for being nasty; a whole new team warrants a whole new take.
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

With great power... comes great need to take a nap. Wake me up later.
— Rick Riordan, The Heroes of Olympus