z

Young Writers Society

Tolkien's Genius

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Nov 03, 2005 1:34 pm
FantasyTeen says...

Tolkein is a very well known author, mainly for his highly popular Lord of the Rings Trilogy and prequel the The Hobbit. Many people have speculated why these four books are so popular.

Some say it is because Tolkein understands the inner turmoil of man and the lust for power. Others say it is because Tolkein has portrayed what is happening in the world today. Still others say that it is we like a small hero, and yet others say we like mystery in our adventure others say it is because we like to see good win and some say it is beacause we like a long book. I think that the reason so many people have enjoyed Tolkein's books is because he was a Christian and it shows through in his work.

Frodo unselfishly gives himself for the good of the rest of Middle Earth. Samwise goes with Frodo, helps him, and keeps him going to the very end. Frodo also meets some fair weather friends. Gollum appears to help them but the whole time is plotting to take the ring from Frodo after he has been eaten by Shelob. Boromier tries to take the ring from Frodo appearing to be doing it for good, but Frodo knows better, he knows that men are easily corrupted.

This is part of Tolkein's genius. He makes us look at ourselves through the eyes of hobbits. Hobbits are small people that just like to mind their own business. They are not like many people today that like to pry into things that they need not know and see and hear things that they shouldn't. Hobbits like to grow things and be merry. The world of Men is very much the opposite. Men like to build machines of war and tear down the trees and the plants. Hobbits have pure hearts. They are less likely to fall prey to the power of the ring. This is why Elrond agreed to let Frodo take the ring. Men are easily deceived. They lust for power and strength. The ring drives many men mad with want of the power it holds.

That is how the Nazgul were formed. Nine kings of men brought under the power of Sauron in the Second Age. They were his servants. Just as a man might become if he trusts himself instead of God. He will become like the Nazgul neither living nor dead. To Hobbits our troubles seem minor not because they are so much better then us but because they see things more as they are then as they appear to be. They see the world through a less clouded glass. Hobbits see weakness where we could never imagine it.

That is Tolkein's genius. He gave the ring of power to the smallest and what appeared to be the weakest creature in all of Middle Earth but really he gave it to the wisest if not always the smartest creature.

94 Reviews

Reviews: 94
Wed Nov 16, 2005 12:10 pm
Jojo says...

A hobbit is not the smartest of creatures. Tolkien gave the ring to Frodo and it was he who carried it through. By me, that is not why LOTR rocks. LOTR rocks because Tolkien has divided the World into two teams, the Good Guys and the Bad Guys. That is what people scratch their heads to figure out these days, who's the good guy and who's the bad. Also, the whole idea of so many great people uniting for a single cause grips all readers, well, at least me.
The Football Freak.

11 Reviews

Reviews: 11
Thu Nov 17, 2005 2:07 pm
FantasyTeen says...

Yeah that makes sense, It is hard somethims, a lot of people seem more like the bad then the good

FantasyTeen

126 Reviews

Reviews: 126
Sat Nov 19, 2005 3:18 am
Bjorn says...

I think it's so darn loved, because when was the last time you read such a gosh darn adventure that spanned such a long distance, and visited so many distinct places? It is well, and recorded, the themes of the story. But it is the story itself that is entrancing, The Quest, the glimpses of a past still so unknown, even if those glimpses are so detailed a well given, the very 'human world'. On a subconcious level it may be the theme, and that maybe we can relate to it, but in essence we all have our own reasons for liking the story. The one I gave is a predominant one(and how I love the story; I love a good story! And according to Tolkien, thats as far as it goes as far as any meaning goes!)

You must never give into despair. Allow yourself to slip down that road, and you surrender to your lowest instincts. In the darkest times, hope is something you give yourself. That is the meaning of inner strength.
— Uncle Iroh