Young Writers Society

Partner Pairing Pertinent?

182 Reviews

Reviews: 182
Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:25 pm
shiney1 says...

If you like, please "like."

Spoiler! :
This is something we are doing in AP English. This is my submitted rough draft,.
I am qualifying that not all women need a man, but in certain instances it would help. This article does not take into account homosexuality, as this is about heterosexual relationships. I almost went over my word limit XD.

Spoiler! :
Also, sorry, my indentations do not seems to be working...

Since World War I, when wives and maidens left the family setting to work in factories and businesses, women have become significantly more independent. Women are still having kids, but they are also going to college and specialty schools, rather than being stay-at-home moms. Still, even though some women can attack life well on their own, having a male companion can add new shades of color to a woman’s life, and can give her the extra love and support she may need.
Women sometimes need that love, support, and special attention men can give. The possibility is there, of course, for a woman to be successful without being married or having a relationship. Some could argue that one could be just fine with good friends and relatives. This is true, but not for all women. Travel back in time to high school, and one can see that girl who always had a cluster of friends about her, but in the mix there was always a boyfriend. She always had friends in every class to keep her company, but she never felt complete or popular unless she had a man. There are grown women who think and feel this way, so having a spouse or boyfriend is still very important to them. Yes, this does not apply to all women; let us take a look at those who do not feel so needy. Even with friends and family, there are certain doors in life that can only be opened when one has a male companion. For one, a man can give a woman a level of love and intimacy that a close friend could never provide. A kiss from a girl friend and a kiss from a husband can convey the same message, “love”, but they can have different affects and may differ on how the action is carried out. Another point can be that having a male companion can significantly boost a woman’s self esteem. She may have the idea that she really is attractive enough to be loved by someone of the opposite gender, rather than her friends just telling her she is. Another matter is marriage. Many women dream about their wedding day and all of the friends and joy it brings, but that day would not be possible without a fiancé. The same goes for honeymoons and anniversaries. All of these aspects and more come from having a male companion.
A more tangible benefit of having a man would be having children. Some may argue that a woman could adopt instead. While this is true, adoption is pricey and is a lengthy process, much slower than just having a child. So, in cases besides adoption, there needs to be a guy. There is no way around it, test tube or C Section. Now if a woman needed a man to have the children, would it not be beneficial to raise the children with him as well? By working together, the parents are more likely to do better financially than if the mom worked alone. Of course, there is the fact that many women get help from sisters and friends, but even these people have lives and families of their own, and cannot be there every time they are needed. This is where a spouse comes in handy. At the worst, one parent or partner will be out working late or shopping, and the other will be caring for the kids. A man can also help enforce rules and add order. Staying on top of a child’s behavior can be hard for a single parent, but with a little extra backup, things can be more organized. Having both a male and a female figure to look up to may help children interact with teachers of both genders when they start school. This can also give them something they can share with other children who have a female and a male adult caring for them at home. Also, since men and women think differently, their parenting methods may be different as well. This difference in views could give the children a variety of perceptions about the same thing (like dating or what school will be like).
Women do not have to lean on men to survive like they used to, and can even be more successful while being independent. Still, having a close male companion can add some spice to life, and open doors that a woman could never open on her own.
Last edited by shiney1 on Wed Sep 07, 2011 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.
"If you ever have a problem don't say 'Hey God I have a big problem.' Rather 'Hey Problem... I have a big God and it's all going to be okay."

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Sep 05, 2011 9:37 pm
Deathcurrent says...

I like how you pointed out that women need a man, but that many also don't need a man. It shows how women have become more independent and that there is choice. I think you'll get an excellent grade and if you don't I'm giving you an A !
“Logic and practical information do not seem to apply here.” -- Spock from Star Trek

"There's power in stories. That's all history is: the best tales. The ones that last. Might as well be mine."-- Varric Tethras from Dragon Age II

1737 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1737
Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:22 pm
BluesClues says...

First of all, let me say, well done. There are two things I hope to review here for you, one being grammar or awkward writing, and the other being your arguments.

First, the writing itself. It was mostly good - easy to follow, grammatically correct, no typos (as far as I saw). There are just a few spots I'd like to help you with:

having a male companion can add new shades of color to a woman’s life, and can give her the extra love and support she may need.
Really minor here - you just don't need that comma between "life" and "and."

She always had friends in every class to keep her company
This is redundant - you don't need "always" AND "in every class." Pick one or the other, and you'll be good.

Now, with the paragraph containing the above sentence, I think it might be a little better if you start off with the "Yes, this does not apply to all women" and THEN go into the women that it does apply to. Based on my reading and impressions, I feel it would just flow a little better.

you need a guy.
As this is an AP paper, you should probably just say "man" or "male" or "distributor of y chromosomes" (okay, I was kidding about that last one), rather than "guy." It sounds too, um...slangy.

Okay, now on to your arguments. You make a lot of good ones. I mostly wanted to tell you that there's one you can add: When you get to the parenting section - studies have shown that children benefit from having two parents. Now, I realize that you don't get into homosexualism in your paper, but here's something that might help you. A lot of people who are against homosexualism will say that children raised by homosexuals will grow up to be gender-confused, queer, or just unhappy, whatever. But studies have actually shown that children raised by a homosexual couple turn out better (you'd have to find the actual studies to see what "better" means) than children raised by a single heterosexual parent. So maybe you could use that somewhere in your paper - as I said, I know you don't delve into the issue of homosexualism here, but it's just a thought because it shows how important it is for a child to have two parents instead of one.

The only other things I have to say about your arguments are these:

1) The part about weddings - women dreaming of their marriage need to remember that the marriage is important because it celebrates the bond and love between a man and a woman, not because of the money spent, the white dress, the party, etc. So you may want to put that in there - right now you just say "that day would not be possible without a fiance," which makes it sound like the fiance is just there so women have an excuse to be princess for a day. Which I'm sure is not what you MEANT to imply, but that's how it sounds - so you may want to consider what I said about marriage and maybe add it into your paper. (I give you permission to use exactly the above sentence about that, if you want to.)

2) The part about having kids - there actually are options (other than adoption) for which you do not need a man. Of course you always need the man's genes - sperm - but you don't need to actually have a man to yourself to get a test-tube baby, to be artificially inseminated, or to have a surrogate mother have the baby for you. So actually, there ARE other options - so in this section, I think you should focus more on the parenting than the conception.

Anyway, overall good job. Let me know when you revise and I'll review again if you'd like!

~Blue

165 Reviews

Reviews: 165
Sat Sep 10, 2011 6:46 am
qaralynn says...

heey my shiney one!
Nice essay! I really like your writing style and I love the idea behind this and how you worked it out. I totally agree with all of it XD
Nice work!! Hope you'll get a good mark for it!
"If they can't be with you at your worst, then they don't deserve to be with you at your best."
-Murtuza-

"Even though a ship won't sink at sea, it needs to be steered to get home."

If a nation loses its storytellers, it loses its childhood.
— Peter Handke