z

Young Writers Society

Reflections on 9/11

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Mon Sep 12, 2011 3:52 am
Wolfdra says...

Spoiler! :
9/11 was a horrific attack on America. Today is the 10th year anniversary, and I had never done something like this before. I felt that it was finally needed, and so I just wrote what I've gone through today, as I've watched coverage of the attack and listened to eyewitnesses of the attack. This is no way in disrespect of anything anyone else has gone through today, these are just my views on what this day means to me.

9/11: The day America remembers

I remember talking to a friend of mine one day about a writing contest. This contest had the prompt of writing about America’s heroes. While I don’t remember the exact name of it, I remember that a young girl had won the contest. She hadn’t written about Iron Man, or the X-Men, or Spider-man. She wrote about the men and women that give their lives daily, so that we can have the freedoms that we have today.

I have been thinking about that contest and that essay a lot during the past few days. I’ve also been thinking about where I was when 9/11 happened. I was 7, living in a small town at the time. My grandmother had turned on the TV, and she was watching the coverage. I remembered seeing the Towers burn, which they were now I don’t remember. My mother came in a few minutes later and dragged me out. She didn’t want me to see it and get scared.

We’ve kind of kept quiet about it since then. Not in a disrespecting sort of way, we just never really spoke of it. We watched the news and programs when the time came around, such as today, but I guess, in a way, I never fully understood the impact of it. My mom didn’t watch it, since I was homeschooled as a child and was never out of the house. Today, we both got a rather large dose of the reality of what happened.

Since this morning, we’ve both been watching the coverage of what happened on 9/11, what they always showed. Today was different though. This year marked the 10th anniversary of the attack on the Twin Towers, the Pentagon, and the Flight 93 plane that crashed down in Shanksville. It being the 10th anniversary, they showed live accounts of survivors of the attack. They showed firefighters that were there, survivors of the Tower attacks, and relatives of loved ones that died, such as those on Flight 93.

It was profound. I still feel heaviness on my chest, even if I wasn’t directly involved. I could see their pain and the suffering. I could also see how grateful the survivors were to the countless firefighters that gave their lives to save them.

I knew what that little girl had meant then, who had won that contest. The heroes of America shouldn’t be cartoon characters, or even the characters we see in movies. They should be the men and women who give all that they have, and more, to ensure our safety. I’m not just talking about the people that died 10 years ago, I’m also talking about the people that die in the army, in the navy, even our own police forces. We should give thanks to them as well, because no one asked them to sacrifice, they do it willingly, and people don’t always remember that.

I don’t have a strong view of America; I have become jaded and don’t believe that we are as great as we view ourselves. But, as I was watching how people responded on 9/11, so selfless and brave, it helped to reinforce my hope that we, as a nation, are strong. People have called 9/11 the “Pearl Harbor of our generation.” I suppose in a way, it was our Pearl Harbor. But I can say with pride, that I am happy with how we handled the collapse of the Towers. We faced that day with as much courage as Japan did when the earthquake and tsunami hit the Eastern side of Japan.

I know that it probably doesn’t seem like much, all this self-reflection coming from an 17 year old girl, but I wanted to let those that died, and those still living, know that I share your pain. This day is not only important to America, but to the families that lost their loved ones in the attack. I’m not just talking about the Americans that lost their lives, but also to people in other nations. There were Fuji Bank employees in the Towers as well. 23 of them died, and some were Japanese. The world shares the pain and heartache that the families of 9/11 have endured, and continues to do so.

09//11/2001: United we stand. Forever will we remember.

Spoiler! :
I don't expect anything on this, I don't really expect anyone to post. I wanted to do this, to honor those who had died. I know that not everyone on this site is American, but this is a day that will forever be engraved into our hearts and minds, just as Pearl Harbor was. If you took the time to read this, then thank you. If this is in the wrong area, then please, move it elsewhere and tell me where to post this.
"'Death happens,' as we like to say. 'And when I get paid for it, death happens more often.'"

"La shai'a waqi'on motlaq bal kollon momken."

"We are all books containing thousands of pages and within each of them lies an irreparable truth."

Rest in peace, Harry. <3

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:00 pm
paintingtherain97 says...

This is good! Not only is it organized and well-written, but it's also about a topic that actually matters. It doesn't sound pretentious like a lot of 9-11 things do. You told the truth, that you didn't think much about it until the tenth anniversary. In honesty, neither did I. But then they made us watch the towers collapse in social studies class. I watched video coverage of people rushing in, never to come out, trying to save the lives of others. And I watched people give up and jump out of the buildings from the top floors. It opened my eyes, and you describe it very well in here. I also liked the way you said that America's real heroes aren't the spadex-clad Superman and Spiderman and everything, but people like the firefighters of 9-11 and those citizens on flight 93. If there are any complaints, it's that there were a few spelling errors. You'll probably catch them if you look it over again. Anyway, good job and I hope my review helps.
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known..." A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens.

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:51 pm
Sunshine says...

Hey, I'm Sunshine and I'll be (whether you feel like you deserve one or not) your reviewer today. My first comment is: good for you! You found a subject that is important enough to you and wrote it well. I think this was a very potent piece, with a lot of basic and simple emotion. It was refreshing. It was well organized, which is impressive in a non-fiction piece.

I loved the main focuous of this story: the girl who won the writing contest. You wrapped 9/11 around that well. The piece could easily be misdirected with such an off begging, but it wasn't. I congradulate you.

My one nitpick: When were you and your friend talking about this contest? A few days ago or when you were seven? I'm just curious, and clearing that up may tie this in with the story better.

Also, this is in the right place. No worries there.

That's all I have to say! Good work, and keep writing!
I have loved the words and I have hated them. I only hope I have made them right.

---The Book Thief---

Hi, I'm Sunshine! It's lovely to meet you!

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:55 pm
Snoink says...

Hi Wolfdra!

I was avoiding these sorts of posts around September 11, so I didn't get a chance to see this.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that yeah, crazy things happened then. There was so much insanity and so much bravery that it was really quite overwhelming. I didn't watch the coverage this year... I think I saw a wee bit too much back then and the images are definitely engrained in my mind. Still, I am glad that you got to see them -- really see them -- and understand them now. It was an awful time then and I think many of our younger generations don't really understand what happened. All they see is the war. So, it's really wonderful to see you take out some time in your day and watch this sort of stuff, even though it is pretty nightmarish.

Also, you're definitely in the right place, as far as posting this goes. :)
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:59 pm
AlyKat says...

Spoiler! :
I really like the emotion you out into this :)

To be honest I really can't comment that much. The insanity that was caused that day (excuse this) really sucked. I haven't read anyone's actual stories, just the poems but i love this. I really do
This is a piece on your experience on that day and I wasn't there to feel what you felt. But I do really like that you wrote about this. My father was killed in the pentagon crash and I appreciate that you wrote about 9/11
I really like your writing :)
Oompa Loompa something something something :)

I regret everything.
— Ron Swanson