z

Young Writers Society

Frog in a Well

6 Reviews

Reviews: 6
Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:46 am
8.Hikari.21 says...

I made a reconnaissance before looking upon the same zenith that I see everyday. I will not be discouraged by these human-made walls of sedimentary rocks. I will not capitulate because of the amazingly high precipice that surrounds me! Why? Because I am indomitable!
I start my climb by placing my hand upon the well’s cold walls. I figure that after about three minutes I am about a quarter of the way to my goal. I grab hold of another crevasse between the rocks but slip from the hole and fall back into the shallow pool at the bottom of the well. I’m starting to feel lethargic. I’ve been trying to get out of the well for the past week, unfortunately, and I have yet to succeed.
Someone is heard approaching the well, but they do not throw in the bucket. Instead, they leave me a very noisy coin. The sound reminds me of a cannonade. Besides the sound of metal against the rock floor it is usually taciturn. I can’t stand this well. And to think, I wanted to be the well’s antagonist! I should have known this was imminent, right? Oh, I should’ve known…
A paroxysm of pain pulsates through my left lag. I am preeminent for being weak among my friends, but I never really cared. They would always invite me to outings and we would jump in and out of small gorges. Ah, narrow spaces are so much easier to squeeze out of. I wish I were in a gorge instead of this stupid, unforeseen well. Why must they make these things anyway?
“Oh well,” I release a sigh, “I will try again tomorrow.”
"Courage does not always roar, sometimes it is the small voice at the end of the day that says,
"I will try again tomorrow." "
~Unknown

When people are free to do as they please, they usually imitate each other.
— Eric Hoffer