z

Young Writers Society

Information on Atheism

Reviews: 0
Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:40 am
SkyWatcher234 says...

Note: These are religious ideas and in NO way an insult to Christianity,Judaism,Buddhism and so on. This is a little informational piece on a somewhat unknown group of people and their beliefs.

Atheism is, in a broad sense, the rejection of belief in the existence of deities. In a narrower sense, atheism is specifically the position that there are no deities. Most inclusively, atheism is simply the absence of belief that any deities exist. Atheism is contrasted with theism, which in its most general form is the belief that at least one deity exists.

The term atheism originated from the Greek ἄθεος (atheos), meaning "without god", which was applied with a negative connotation to those thought to reject the gods worshiped by the larger society. With the spread of free thought, skeptical inquiry, and subsequent increase in criticism of religion, application of the term narrowed in scope. The first individuals to identify themselves as "atheist" appeared in the 18th century.

Atheists tend to be skeptical of supernatural claims, citing a lack of empirical evidence. Atheists have offered various rationales for not believing in any deity. These include the problem of evil, the argument from inconsistent revelations, and the argument from nonbelief. Other arguments for atheism range from the philosophical to the social to the historical. Although some atheists have adopted secular philosophies, there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere.

In Western culture, atheists are frequently assumed to be exclusively irreligious or unspiritual. However, atheism also figures in certain religious and spiritual belief systems, such as Jainism, Buddhism and Hinduism. Jainism and some forms of Buddhism do not advocate belief in gods, whereas Hinduism holds atheism to be valid, but difficult to follow spiritually.

Since conceptions of atheism vary, determining how many atheists exist in the world today is no easy task. According to one estimate, about 2.3% of the world's population are atheists, while a further 11.9% are nonreligious. According to another, rates of self-reported atheism are among the highest in Western nations.

90 Reviews

Reviews: 90
Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:26 am
freewritersavvy says...

Thank you for posting this. It is nice to see someone who can post facts from a seemingly unbiased standpoint. I found this interesting, educational and very well written.

Thank you again,
~FW~

By the way, Welcome to YWS!
http://www.isiseiyr.com
~When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world. ~ George Carver

Writing...they claim it is a dangerous occupation... 'they' have no idea!

Random avatar

Reviews: 56
Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:01 am
View Likes
Cole says...

I hope you don’t get too nasty reviews. I’m a God believer myself and I never have problems with atheists. Hopefully others are as open-minded.

Anyway, sorry to get into that.

This was very nicely written! It was well organized and altogether skillfully executed. It was a refreshing read. There are WAY too many misunderstandings concerning atheism in the religious world. It’s unfortunate, actually. I'm glad you wrote this.

I really like your writing style, too. Keep it up! I like you. : )

~H.

Reviews: 0

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:19 pm
tr3x says...

Hey SkyWatcher234
Are you yourself an atheist, or is just an article of general interest to you? I am an atheist, although my family is Hindu, and they have no problems with it. Hinduism believes that despite your beliefs, your actions are what dictate the merit of your soul. My parents still consider me a Hindu, and don't mind my atheism as long as I hold true to my values and morals, although I don't consider myself a Hindu. It's confusing.
A lie can run around the world before the truth has got its boots on.
- Terry Pratchett

Si non confectus, non recifiat - If it ain't broken, don't fix it.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sat Jun 04, 2011 6:26 pm
View Likes
Snoink says...

Please don't copy articles off of Wikipedia and post them as your own.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

There is no quiet. There is only Doc McStuffins.
— Ron Swanson