z

Young Writers Society

How a homosexual man changed my life

131 Reviews

Reviews: 131
Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:31 pm
beccalicious94 says...

Preface: This is a personal essay I am writing for admissions to university. According to my guidance counselor, and earlier essays I posted on YWS, are not suitable for the purposes of an admissions essay. In this essay I really wanted who I am to come out, and I hope it did. Additionally, it is around 750 words and it should be around 500; any suggestions to cut it down are appreciated. Of course, all constructive criticism is welcome. Happy reading.

How a homosexual man changed my life

“My name is Becca,” I sheepishly said, still slightly nervous about what I was joining.
“Hi Becca!” the club enthusiastically welcomed me.
“I’m a junior, a Cancer, I would put chocolate on just about anything, and I’m here because I want to learn to be more open about other people’s differences.” I took a deep exhale of relief and smiled; this couldn’t be that hard. After I finished my turn at the go-around questions I fell into the human cushion that consisted of my two gay best friends, my bi-sexual friend, and another female friend who was there as a straight ally.

My presence there that October afternoon was solely based upon the friendship that had formed between Todd and me.

Todd was one year my senior and fate brought us together on the bus ride home from the January Math regents. Statistically, in a school of over 3000 students, with no courses shared and no extra-curricular activities shared, it is pure luck that we met and a super natural occurrence that we became best friends let alone friends at all. To this day we wonder “how on earth did the Jewish yeshiva girl become so close to the racy gay boy?”

We started off as acquaintances; Todd helping a freshman navigate the system of classes and teachers and school politics. After a mutual friend had arranged a hangout, we realized we had compatible personalities; we were both witty, enjoyed the same flavor of humor, and not afraid to debate and discuss controversial ideas. We became closer and were able to share our problems and successes. We had mutual respect and an understanding for each other unlike with any of our other friends. Todd taught me to work things out pragmatically, to not give miniscule tasks the merit of worry, to step out of my self imposed boundaries, and to accept people for who they are.

At the end of my sophomore year, the friend I had known so warmly told me he was gay. I had never really known anyone who was gay before; I only knew of the social stigma associated with it. I sat in my room pondering and realized that it did not matter. So what if he liked other boys? He was the same person who had been there for me, who had made me laugh during the darkest of days, and who had so much admired my own personal choices as I dressed and acted differently from my peers.

Todd had opened my eyes to an entire world that up until that point I completely misunderstood. I now saw what it was like to get bullied merely based upon your sexual preference, something atrocious, and yet I could empathize, having been subject to anti-Semitic remarks. Besides taking me to different cultural venues across NYC and exposing me to different foods, people, and cultures, by simply being my friend Todd has enabled me to be more open minded and accept everyone for who they are.

There are two things I am absolutely sure of. You never know the influence you can have on one person, and how one good deed leads to another. It is safe to say, that had I not been introduced to homosexuality by someone who I personally knew and considered a good hearted human being, there is no way I would be as pro-active as I am. I would not have explained to my peers that saying “that’s so gay” is offensive, supported the NY Same-Sex Marriage Bill, nor would I have joined the Gay-Straight Alliance, a club I had been apprehensive about since I began high school due in part to the homophobia in my surrounding environments. The relationship I have with Todd has helped us see each other’s worlds in an entirely new light. I know that Todd now understands and has a new respect for many Jewish practices and looks at Israeli politics more objectively than he had before, because he listened to my beliefs and was able to formulate his own opinions. I also learned that in order to be a good person you need to see beyond what you believe and acknowledge the beliefs and practices of others as equally legitimate. By surrounding myself with people who have different beliefs than I do, I have been able to open my mind to new concepts, ideas, and people and truly be able to think for myself, and learn from everybody.
Last edited by beccalicious94 on Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 11 times in total.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:38 pm
Snoink says...

Hey Becca! A quick question... is there a prompt associated with this essay? I would love to help get you into college, but they can be strict about being on topic, and I just want to make sure you're on the right track. :D
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

318 Reviews

Reviews: 318
Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:56 pm
View Likes
Abigail_W. says...

Hey Becca! Before I do anything else, I'm just going to go through and correct some simple things. Since this is a university admissions essay, the grammar, spelling, and punctuation should be absolutely impeccable

beccalicious94 wrote:“My name is Becca,” I sheepishly said, still slightly nervous about what I was joining.
“Hi Becca!” the club enthusiastically welcomed me.
“I’m a junior, a cancer, I would put chocolate on just about anything, and I’m here because I want to learn to be more open about other people’s differences.” I took a deep exhale of relief and smiled; this couldn't be that hard.

beccalicious94 wrote:My presence there that October afternoon, was solely based upon the friendship that had formed between me and Todd.

beccalicious94 wrote:To this day we wonder,How on earth did the Jewish yeshiva girl become so close to the racy gay boy?”

beccalicious94 wrote:We had mutual respect and had an understanding for each other unlike with any of our other friends. Todd taught me to work things out pragmatically, to not give miniscule tasks the merit of worry, to step out of my self-imposed boundaries, and to accept people for who they are.

beccalicious94 wrote:At the end of my sophomore year, the friend I had known so warmly told me he was gay. I had never really known anyone who wasgay before; I only knew of the social stigma associated with it. I sat in my room pondering and concluded two things.

beccalicious94 wrote:He was the same person who had been there for me, who had made me laughed during the darkest of days, and who had so much admired my own personal choices as I dressed and acted differently from my peers.

beccalicious94 wrote:Todd had opened my eyes to an entire world that up until that point I completely misunderstood. I now saw what it was like to get bullied merely based upon your sexual preference, something atrocious, and yet I could empathize, having been subject to anti-Semitic remarks.

So, now that those minor typos are out of the way ...

I think this is a great college application essay and definitely a great topic. It might be beneficial, however, to think about whether the school(s) you're applying to is/are liberal or conservative. A liberal school would probably be happy with this essay, but a school which looks down upon homosexuality probably wouldn't like it too much. But, hey, you never know. My brother applied to Colombia University with an essay about the Boston Red Sox. We all doubted that a snotty Ivy League school in the heartland of Yankee Territory would accept a kid with that essay, but he got in!

Some other things:

beccalicious94 wrote:The first being, between the skinny jeans, the Lady Gaga headphones and dances, and the impeccable fashion sense--I wasn’t left with much room for surprise.

This could be offensive to some homosexuals. I think, since you're writing about how a homosexual man changed your life (for the better), and since this is a college application essay, it would be best to avoid all stereotypes, even ones that are neither good nor bad. I mean, you could technically be a straight guy who likes skinny jeans, Lady Gaga, and fashion. It may not be common, I don't know. I just think you'd be safer without this sentence.

beccalicious94 wrote:It is safe to say, that had I not been exposed to homosexuality by someone who I considered a good hearted human being and who I had personally known, there is no way I would tell people not to say “that’s so gay” in the hallways nor would I have joined the Gay-Straight Alliance, a club I had been apprehensive about since I began high school.

It may just be me, but I couldn't really follow this sentence. Revise, perhaps?

Some things I liked:

The beginning. It's great when you start a whole long philosophical essay with an encounter that happened on an average day. The beginning of the essay really put the whole thing into perspective. People remember the stars and ends of things, and the university will surely remember this in a positive light.

beccalicious94 wrote:So what if he liked other boys? He was the same person who had been there for me, who had made me laughed during the darkest of days, and who had so much admired my own personal choices as I dressed and acted differently from my peers.

This is a very important point and I'm glad you hit upon it. A person's sexuality does not define their character. Getting the world to recognize this is the first step towards ending homophobia.

beccalicious94 wrote:To this day we wonder “how on earth did the Jewish yeshiva girl become so close to the racy gay boy?”

I like this sentence a lot. It has a great personal flare and it shows that you two are comfortable laughing at yourselves. I don't think anyone will be offended by this sentence because you're referring to yourself and your best friend. Very nice.

Overall, good job! I can't really say where you should cut down on anything because I don't like to just throw away people's work. I think that might have to be something for you to decide on your own. Good luck on getting into the university!

-Abigail

594 Reviews

Reviews: 594
Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:11 pm
View Likes
Crysi says...

I can understand why this may not be "appropriate" for a college entry essay. Because it's such a controversial topic, you're making this decision personal. While that can be beneficial if all goes well, it's a huge risk.

Anyway, good for you for getting more involved in the LGBT community! I really enjoyed this essay. Sure, I'm a bit biased, but you make several good points about how it really doesn't matter. I love the comparison between homophobia and anti-Semitism, because it really ties everything together. (On a side note, I'm sorry you experienced anti-Semitic remarks!)

I approve of your essay, anyway. ;) The one thing I might change is your brief introduction of yourself -- specifically, capitalizing Cancer. For a second I thought you were saying you had cancer, ha. From what I can find, zodiac signs should always be capitalized.

Great job! Good luck if you decide to use this for your application. It's risky, but you're being honest about yourself. And hey, maybe you don't want to go to a school that won't accept you for who you are.
Love and Light

"The adventures I enjoy are usually of a literary nature."
— Henry Winchester