z

Young Writers Society

The zoo story-essay

30 Reviews

Reviews: 30
Sun Aug 07, 2011 6:48 am
chloe13 says...

Spoiler! :
This is pretty boring, it's an essay I had to do for drama, so only review if you want to help me get a better mark (nit-picking pleeaseee!) anyway, try to enjoy -____-

The Zoo Story is Edward Albee’s absurdist tale which, through the experimental relationship of Peter and Jerry, reflects the human tension of isolation which is a universal issue. The Zoo story, written during the late 1950’s, is based upon existentialist ideas which Grin and Tonic Theatre Troupe have effectively portrayed, adapting the setting of the play to a small park in Brisbane instead of New York; the original location of Albee’s intent. The plot depicts the fateful encounter of Peter, a solid representative of the values and institutions of middle to upper-class society, and Jerry, a less reliable member of society. Through their situations, roles and relationship, Edward Albee has attempted to reveal the absurdity of life through language, class difference and the breakdown of communication.
Existentialism was a philosophical movement which emerged during the 20th century, often defined as; “A philosophical movement {…} opposed to rationalism and empiricism, that stresses the individual's unique position as a self-determining agent responsible for the authenticity of his or her choice” (dictionary.com). However, absurdism argues that humans have no control over their own fates, and we simply exist in a chaotic meaningless universe, a notion that Albee has tried to convey through the human context of The Zoo Story.

The human context reveals the inability of society to communicate with one another and the way class difference can cause isolation. Lower class Jerry immediately makes the audience aware of this notion when he attempts to break his solitary state by initiating a conversation with the seemingly perfect stranger Peter, who he meets reading peacefully in a park on a Sunday afternoon. Jerry, failing to capture Peter’s attention at first, manages to ensnare his imagination by promising him an explanation of what happened during his visit to the zoo that day. Through their awkward way of communication, they reveal the still applicable drama of humans; the notion that we are afraid to intrude on others space/silence. Jerry tells the audience that he doesn’t talk to people as a rule, and so it is assumed that his desire to connect to another human comes from his need to elicit information; "I don't talk to many people except to say like: give me a beer, or where's the john, or what time does the feature go on, or keep your hands to yourself, buddy! You know things like that" (Albee) The audience can assume through Peter’s body language and appearance that he is a member of the bourgeoisie. The latter, being that Jerry is a member of lower class society, can also be assumed through his contrasting behaviour. The tension between the two dissimilar characters builds until the fatal end, where a mock fight turns into Jerry’s own suicide, leaving the audience guessing whether this had been utilitarian.

Dramatic tension is easily weaved through the dialogue of the characters. The tension of Peter and Jerry’s relationship keeps the audience’s attention right through to when a surprise ending shocks all. Jerry’s last words are tragically replete with loneliness and betray his decision to get rid of his life; “Oh, Peter, I was so afraid l'd drive you away {...} you don't know how afraid I was you'd go away and leave me” (Albee). This ending causes an anti-climax to the mysterious tension which had previously been built, leaving the audience with insurmountable thought. Peter’s desperate actions give rise to the theory that he is just as isolated as Jerry (only this is something he denies), and that the perpetual breakdown of communication and the dismal reality of loneliness permeate all niches of society.

Edward Albee’s ultimate aim was to inform and evoke thought in audiences regarding an issue philosophers of the 1950’s had only attempted to highlight; That humankind’s tragic and pathetic attempt to overcome and deny their own isolation, is futile regardless of socio-economic status.
The zoo symbolizes humankind’s likeness with the caged animals, always being watched and observed, but never set free. It also precipitates the idea that our cages can be our own homes; Peter in his middle-class generic set up, and Jerry, who lives in a rooming house full of inmates who are just as isolated and longing for communication as himself. As he says on page 36; “{...} Madam, I have myself to pray for, the coloured queen, the Puerto Rican family, the person in the front room whom I’ve never seen, the woman who cries deliberately behind her closed door {…}” (Albee). The dramatic meaning of The Zoo Story evokes thought within the audience, reminding them of the importance of communication. This also causes them to take on board existential ideas, ultimately keeping them from imprisoning themselves.

The Zoo Story seeks to take the audience on an emotional journey via the convention of mood. From the very start the atmosphere seems to guide the audience on a journey, first light hearted and seemingly senseless, keeping the audience’s attention as they try to work out the greater purpose the two characters have in regard to one another. Then, suddenly, the mood darkens and a powerful and dangerous mood emanates as a result of the performance and the connection the viewer develops with the characters. This connection is formed via the contrasting countenance each character portrays; Jerry’s being animated, and at times seemingly random and pointless and Peter’s formal and to the point. Even from their language the audience is able to assume which class group each character comes from. The setting also helps to evoke a sense of mood within the audience.

Grin and Tonic Theatre Troupe’s setting for the play held ingenuity and power, whilst being bare and simple. A humble white light casts shadows across the walls of the set, creating a surprisingly eerie atmosphere. The park discourse is symbolized expertly with a large rug of Astroturf, two worn wooden benches, and a few golden leaves strewn along the ground, thus luring the audience into the world of The Zoo Story. This simple setting serves as a means to convey that the whole situation was an experiment devised by Jerry himself, as at the very start of the play the audience witnesses him creating the scene, or more, his trap.

Grin and Tonic Theatre Troupe’s production effectively communicated the absurdist elements of Edward Albee’s The Zoo Story through enthusiastic performers and an intimate and simple set. The effective portrayal of characters made interpreting the dramatic meaning simple and clear, as well as allowed the audience to connect to them in a way that demanded attention.

Edward Albee’s The Zoo Story consistently and unequivocally asserts itself as one of the most memorable pieces of absurdist theatre in our world, exploring the notions of existentialism and the human dilemma of isolation and class segregation. Grin and Tonic Theatre Troupe’s performance of the play left the audience reeling in the human context, tension and mood created via the dialogue and language. Ultimately, The Zoo Story has highlighted the importance of communication in a world where the misery of modern man can go so far as to imprison us inside our own lives and leave us in a state of desire.

104 Reviews

Reviews: 104
Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:13 pm
paintingtherain97 says...

This is good! It summarized well the absurdist ideas, as well as the main idea of the story. This is organized, grammatically well-done, and accurate. I liked it because it was both informative and somewhat interesting. Before reading this, I had no idea about the book or the absurdist beliefs. Now I'm educated, and the essay didn't make me fall asleep like most do. Nice job :)
"It is a far, far better thing that I do, than I have ever done; it is a far, far better rest that I go to, than I have ever known..." A Tale of Two Cities, by Charles Dickens.

763 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 763
Sun Aug 28, 2011 12:15 pm
Lava says...

Hi there!
Well, I haven't heard of this, but I could perhaps help with some nitpicking. So, here goes.

is based upon existentialist ideas which Grin and Tonic Theatre Troupe havehas effectively portrayed,
Since you're referring to the Troupe portraying it.
I think you've organized your thought really well, and it was a nice read.

The main thing is, do you have to focus on the plot of The Zoo Story or on the drama/theatre aspect of it? Since you mentioned drama class. If it is indeed, more on the drama, then I think you could work on making the ideas of Existentialism and all that a bit condensed and speak more of the drama, and how drama could help in portraying this or how dramatising this effectively. Something along that line of thought.

Still, thanks for a good read!
~
Pretending in words was too tentative, too vulnerable, too embarrassing to let anyone know.
- Ian McEwan in Atonement

sachi: influencing others since GOD KNOWS WHEN.

Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
— Martin Luther King Jr.