z

Young Writers Society

The Nobody I’m Proud Of Being

15 Reviews

Reviews: 15
Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:08 pm
IdEaBoNe says...

Spoiler! :
Hello everyone! Now this is an article I wrote in the heat of the moment (from angry and distressed -- to serene and tranquil) Please be honest when judging and I prefer constructive criticism to praise :P Thank you for reading!

When watching TV, I’ve always turned the channels to those that interest me most: movies, series, cartoons, music videos, etc. Talking about movies categories, I’ll always say fiction, fantasy and action. I’ve always found television and other gadgets as a means to get away from all the horrors gnawing me in life. However, after the releasing of my AS level results, came a heart-pounding message: Life is not as easy as it seems.

Since I was a little girl, I’ve always been the one who was shoved to the back of the list on ‘Most Talented’, and I still am. Making my parents proud wasn’t, isn’t and I’m sure, never will be my field of accomplishment. I sometimes feel sick and tired of seeing my friends take on the road with courage and determination, A* diploma’s in their clutches, on the way to glory, when…I’m left behind. Always behind. Behind in their shadows. It sometimes becomes hard for me to smile and laugh with all those ‘talented’ people, also known as, my friends; because at home, it’s them I’m compared to. It’s as though the words ‘me, myself and I’ don’t exist. I’ve got no value. I’ve got no strength. I’m a nobody.

In the world we live in today (academic wise), it’s very competitive and hard to hold a firm grip, unless you have an all A* certificate and a Newton-like brain on the side, to become the person of your dreams. But what is this dream of mine, I ask myself? Is it being ambitious like them? Does it mean I’ve got to foster hatred for the better girl and crush her down when I’ve above her? Do I have to make friends, just for my own purpose? Be selfish and cold? Those words gleam with rage when I’m down in the dumps again…for the one thousandth time.

Sure, I can be cold, rude and selfish if I want to. I can be higher than those ‘perfect’ beings in my school, if I wanted to. But does all this have value? In the end of the day I’d have all the recognition I dreamt of but…I’d lack true love. The love of my peers. And that I truly treasure above everything else. My parents will love me till I die but, to make real friends is a very laborious process. From my whole life (so far…), the one thing I’ve found out from being imperfect is…it makes other people happy. I might be looked down at for now but, it’s the afterlife I desire. The life after death, the life which lasts longer than this short journey. The short journey, known as life, that we’re so hopped-up in perfecting, when in reality, our faith is what holds us up higher than most.

I’ve learned that being selfish, fostering hatred, being consumed and gulped down by this life will only bring happiness for a short moment. However, that short moment will be outlived by the burning hell. Because, whatever we do for this life, for this world (those done for selfish reasons), will fire back. So, let’s just step back from life and reset our goals for a higher purpose. Let us all know that we aren’t perfect and never will be. Our flaws compliment us and make us who we are. Our flaws bring us closer to family and friends and help us grow stronger. Just the way I’ve found out paths to happiness with my flaws. We’ve all got strengths which make us shine and aims that act as guidance. We’ve all got reasons for that heart of ours to beat. My reason is to make the one’s I love smile and feel proud. I know I haven’t accomplished that just yet but…I’m still working towards it and yeah…I leave the rest to my Lord. Ameen.

I might be a nobody to the world, but to myself…I’m better than anyone else! From this day on I know I’ll smile ear-to-ear because, I’ve got nothing to fear… :D
This world is a dream,
Only the one who sleeps considers it real.
Then death comes like dawn,
And you wake up laughing at what you thought was your grief.
–Maulana Jalaluddin Rumi

228 Reviews

Reviews: 228
Sat Aug 20, 2011 9:47 pm
Twinkle4ever says...

Very well said. I'm touched to the deepest corner of my heart. I've always longed to hear words like that. Now you've said it and it makes me feel better. Everything you've said is true. I really admire your way of thinking. I believe in the same faith. So I hope that everyone reads this article. People can really learn a thing or two from it. Outstanding use of vocabulary. :)

The best part was about the A*. I've also tried to make my parents proud of me but now I know that I don't have to try so hard. They love me anyway. :) What you said about the life after death, hats off to you!

Your words truly have power.
You can wish for death... but you can't wish it away

10 Reviews

Reviews: 10
Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:14 am
Samp says...

I'm no where near the top of the "Most Talented" list myself, either, with parents and teachers emphasizing over and over how important it is for me to get good grades and such alike - I wouldn't say I know how you're feeling because that's what everyone says to me all the time, and in fact I think no one truly knows how another person feels! Of course, that matters not here, seeing how in today's society everyone's only fighting for themselves, and as you say, it's very competitive.

I find myself trying too hard to find motivation to work with the constant pushing from parents and teachers, seeing how the only reason they claim they're doing this would be for my own good. Is that what I really want, though? No, I don't want to be at the top or be the best. Everyone has their own dreams and I myself would like mine fulfilled too, but is it really necessary to have everyone interacting with one because each of them have their own selfish reasons to? (In this case, getting to the top)

I particularly like this piece of writing because it speaks of everything I'd wanted to say, but never found the ability to do so, or rather, any time to do such at all. It's definitely a worthwhile post. Meanwhile, I shall probably get more people to read this :P

Well, I've spoken my mind, I guess.
Have a great day!
-Samp

P.S I hope I haven't offended anyone with my words >_> I apologize in advance if that be the case.
Absence weakens mediocre passions and increases great ones the same way wind blows out candles and kindles fires.

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Mon Aug 29, 2011 4:07 pm
View Likes
fire_of_dawn says...

Very good piece; there were only a couple of mistakes as far as grammar goes.

after the releasing of my AS level results

Now, this isn't a grammatical error. I'd just like to know what an AS level is.

I’m left behind. Always behind. Behind in their shadows.

You might want to avoid repeating the word "behind" here. One way to do it might be to rewrite this as, "I'm left behind, always in their shadows." Then again, this is *your* work.

also known as, my friends

The only thing wrong here is that the comma after "as" is unnecessary.

to make real friends is a very laborious process.

Not sure, but I think this could stand being its own sentence. Either that, or replace the comma with a semicolon.
"Do? I'll tell you what we'll do! We'll be ready!"
Matthias, from Redwall

"Life consists of doing the impossible."
Brother Fir, The Heir of Mistmantle

Random avatar

Reviews: 131
Tue Aug 30, 2011 4:41 pm
View Likes
DukeofWonderland says...

I sometimes feel sick and tired of seeing my friends take on the road with courage and determination, A* diploma%u2019s in their clutches, on the way to glory, when%u2026I%u2019m left behind.......Seriously, wtfis? Lyf is abt alot more, success is abt more than academics. If u wanna think abt the ppl hu'll pray 4 u at their evry prayer, ppl hu'll remember u till the hearafter, ppl hu luv u... girl, you're so there. N an nerd lyk u will make a great living, don u worry.

Our flaws compliment us and make us who we are. This was beatiful, everyone shud get this realization. It was an inspirational piece and I wish you the best of luck in the future
"The duke had a mind that ticked like a clock and, like a clock, it
regularly went cuckoo."
-- Terry Pratchett, "Wyrd Sisters"

If food is poetry, is not poetry also food?
— Joyce Carol Oates