Young Writers Society

Abortion

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:30 am
View Likes
ArticulateOverlord says...

Please Note
The term “abortion” as used within this article refers only to the procedure. It does not refer to the failure of a child to fully develop due to natural circumstances.

From the moment the sperm fertilizes the egg and syngamy (the union of the mother and father’s DNA) occurs, the single cell that results, called a zygote, becomes human in the genetic sense. The moment the zygote implants itself within the uterine wall, it begins development into a human in the physical sense. Barring unfortunate circumstances, the zygote will ideally be born in nine months to live life as a human in every sense: genetically, physically, socially, and uniquely as a being. Without the zygote, there is no human being. Therefore, I posit that a human is “born” when the zygote is formed, i.e. when the two different halves of DNA from the mother and father come together to form a new, genetically unique individual.

This genetically unique individual, by virtue of being unique and individual, has the potential to become an important, contributing member of our species as all human beings possess such potential. Whether or not a human being achieves their fullest potential, as determined by the interactions between genetics and external factors such as socioeconomic standing, rests in the hands of that individual for so long as they live. This potential, however, cannot be determined quantitatively or qualitatively, and it certainly cannot be accurately predicted at birth; all that can be said for certain is that all individual potential is lost upon death.

All cultures worldwide have taboos against murder, or the forceful taking of a life without provocation. The murder of a person deprives that person of life and their potential, which is a direct violation of the most basic human right; abortion is therefore unjust. By the same token, aborting a child at any stage of development, given that the child would have developed successfully into a newborn without placing the mother at irrevocable medical risk, is tantamount to murder as it robs the child of their life and potential. Abortions of convenience are therefore an injustice of the greatest sort as, not only is one depriving another being of life and potential, one is doing so to a being that is utterly helpless.

Perhaps one could argue that murder requires the murdered to be in possession of a will to live, and that fetuses possess no such will of their own. I would argue that fetuses do, in fact, possess a will to live, else they would cease to develop and be reabsorbed by the mother. Such failures to develop do naturally occur, with vanishing twin syndrome perhaps the most well-known and publicized incidence of such.

There is also the matter of how the fetus does not, itself, desire to be killed. At every stage of development, from fertilization to syngamy to zygote and onwards, the unborn child struggles to survive long enough to come to term and be born. While perhaps this is not a will in the common sense of the term, the fact remains that the unborn child, at all stages of development, is actively working to survive using all the means available at its disposal. As a result, an unborn child will attempt to survive an abortion, which results either in a failed abortion or a forced termination of the child's life against its best efforts, i.e. murder.

Abortion is murder; all justifications for abortion rely upon dehumanizing the unborn child, else hinge upon satisfying the selfishness of the mother.

"Selfishness of the mother?" you ask, quite possibly outraged. "Whatever do you mean by that?"

The fact of the matter is that all unwanted pregnancies, with the exception of those resulting from rape, are preventible and are the result of carelessness on the woman's part. Contraceptives are readily available, affordable, and reliable, allowing women to conveniently control their fertility. Condoms, which are also readily available for both sexes, act as a physical barrier to conception. In addition, it takes two to tango, and for consensual sex to take place, the woman must consent. While no contraceptive method, with the exception of abstinence, is fail-proof, the failure rates of modern contraceptives are extremely small and quickly approach zero when used in conjunction with other methods of contraception.

In short, unless all available means of contraception have been employed to no avail, there is absolutely no excuse for unwanted pregnancies resulting from consensual sex.

With that said, there is neither a reasonable reason nor a rational rationalization for a woman to suffer an unwanted pregnancy. Why should a woman carry to term a child she does not want? Pregnancy is quite hard on the mother's body, wreaking havoc upon her metabolism and hormonal balance, not to speak of the structural changes and strains carrying around an extra ten pounds inflicts upon a woman's spine. Why should a woman be forced to bear the consequences of a quick fling?

She need not, if she is sterilized.

At this point, you are likely screaming in rage at your screen, else staring in dumb disbelief at the above statement. Ah, but if you would take but a mere moment to explore the logic behind that statement, I think you will find it to be an entirely reasonable proposition, for you see, such women have no desire to reproduce in the first place, and even if they were to conceive children, these women would kill those children. Now, the beauty of sterilization is that it results in an inability to conceive children, which in turn results in the elimination of unwanted pregnancies, which in turn ultimately results in the elimination of abortions of convenience. In addition, there are temporary forms of sterilization available so that, if in the future the woman wishes to have children, it would be possible for her to do so without having to rely upon adoption.

"But what about a woman's right to reproduction?!" you are likely wondering, else raging. "Sterilization is a violation of that right!" Perhaps. However, consider this: when a woman aborts a child, she is depriving that child of life. Without life, nothing is capable of reproduction as all things capable of reproduction must be alive to reproduce. Therefore, the right to life trumps the right to reproduce, and, by extension, sterilization, whether it is forced or not, is a far lesser evil to abortions of convenience. After all, death is always permanent; sterilization, however, is not.

The fact of the matter is that all abortions of convenience are the direct result of selfishness. One of the most common justifications for such an abortion is that it would interfere with and/or interrupt the mother's life. Having a child is inconvenient for them, so rather than bring the child to term and place it up for adoption, they choose to abort it instead.

I simply must ask: since when has (in)convenience been a valid justification for depriving another human being of life? Since when has the deprivation of another's life purely to serve one's own interests been considered anything less than murder?

From what history has shown us, such things only occur when and where dehumanization is actively employed, and in recent history, nothing has been more actively dehumanized in the industrialized spheres of influence than unborn children.

Now, this is not to say that all instances of abortion are preventible or the result of selfishness. There are some instances where pregnancies go wrong and result in valid medical reasons, often involving the lingering, painful death of the mother, that render medical abortions necessary. However, this is the only instance in which abortions are morally justifiable.

Yes, this does mean that I do not condone abortions that are reactions to rape. While it's a given that rape is a traumatizing, potentially life-destroying experience and that conceptions resulting from rape are wholly involuntary and understandably unwanted, the fact remains that a child has been conceived and is as deserving of life as any other unborn child. The manner of conception is irrelevant; the child had no choice in how it was conceived, and, given the choice, I am certain the child would choose another manner as no one would want to be a child born of rape. In addition, the woman need not raise the child and always has the option of putting the child up for adoption.

Abortions in reaction to rape, although understandable, are no less selfish than abortions of convenience. They hinge upon the mentality that "I cannot deal with the constant reminder of my rape." Although it is indisputable that the pregnancy would act as a constant reminder of the rape, the fact remains that, should a woman go through with an abortion under such circumstances, they will have killed a child whose only "crime" was to be conceived under less-than-ideal circumstances.

Before one considers or condones abortions in reaction to rape, one should consider the cost of such: is the expected sense of relief truly worth the death of a child, particularly your own child? If so, then perhaps an abortion is justified, but how can you know for sure until after the abortion? And how can you know for sure that you will not regret your decision?

Consider that death is truly permanent, and until we find a way to conveniently alter past events to suit our fancies, there is absolutely no way of reversing death. Consider then that bringing the child to term and placing it up for adoption means that child will get a chance to live a full and happy life, and that, if you should ever change your mind about wanting to be a part of that child's life, you will have the chance to get to know them. Consider that that child, your child, could be the next genius in the vein of Galileo, Newton, Einstein...

Consider and decide if you can truly destroy that possibility.

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:10 am
Snoink says...

Oh wow, this is interesting.

Just one quick comment... I don't think you really developed your idea of sterilization. It felt like, instead of arguing your point logically, as you had been doing, you mostly seemed to respond with the outrage of the supposed reader. You did argue the point, but it seems mostly because of the unfounded reactions from the reader. Just an idea.

As far as the sterilization goes, I kind of wonder in what way would you propose the sterilization of the woman? The only ways I can think of at the top of my head would be quite permanent, so it wouldn't be as simple as just sterilizing them a bit and then letting them have birth when they can. Unless you are referring to birth control, and even that isn't a 100% guarantee. Also, I know one of my friends actually tried to get her tubes tied, but she was refused since the medical personnel refused to tie her tubes on the ethical grounds that she might change her mind later. What about for people like her?

Anyway, neat ideas here. I don't agree with everything that you have to say here, but you definitely presented your case well. The sterilization part does remind me a little of "Welcome to the Monkey House" by Vonnegut, but yeah. Very interesting.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:52 am
joshuapaul says...

Can I say, briefly, that as an argument you succeed. As a general article you seem to fail. I say this because you present one side, you charge your writing with a partisan view of abortion and push an idea - which isn't good or bad, it's just not easy reading for the spectator who wishes only information and not a side. The best authors can subtly press an idea, not through rhetoric, but through infallible reason (if such a thing exists.) The problem is we know how you feel about abortion from the start, so why should we take any of your points with credibility? You give us something to think about, but you tell us where our thoughts should end, not where they naturally lead us. So I won't enter the debate, I will say though, this would be a lot stronger if your viewpoint was implanted in my psyche, rather forced down my throat.
Last edited by joshuapaul on Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Read my latest

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:06 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

Er, I disagree somewhat with Josh. I think opinion pieces are fine as articles. One does not have to be impartial to write an article-- in fact, I kind of appreciate knowing where people stand when they write these sorts of pieces so as to not have to analyze the rhetoric to find out what is or isn't actually said. Nor do I think presenting this piece as an opinion piece is necessarily bad, especially on a subject matter such as this. You can disagree with the statement, of course... but this doesn't make the article bad.

Anyway, my two cents on the matter.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Sep 23, 2011 6:53 am
Maddy says...

I find the calm, distasteful tone you are using too extreme. Abortion is a sensitive topic, something you should be aware of, knowing as much as you do on the subject- and those two factors do not mix well. Unless the reader had already agreed with your opinion on the matter 100% before they read it, I assume it is highly possible they will see you as an arrogant individual. I also find your complete lack of blame against the father rude.

However, the majority of your points are sound, and your grammar is impeccable.

Just in future, I would recommend you tread the line of one-sided persuasive articles carefully. To master one is a difficult task, and usually they only work the best when entwined with humour, or on less-emotional topics.
-If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!
-"Careful with that light at the end of the tunnel, it might be another train coming."

This awesome post bought to you by me. :)

745 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 745
Fri Sep 23, 2011 11:40 am
Lumi says...

Like Snoink, I stand by the notion that opinionated coercing is quite welcome in Articles, be they General or not, though I'm not quite sure what distinction that quaint adjective gives.

I do want to whine to you for a moment about your inability to control your amount of snark as your argument begins to boil. Watch, if you will, the devolution of your professionalism as you start to lose ground in your logos:

"Selfishness of the mother?" you ask, quite possibly outraged. "Whatever do you mean by that?"

The fact of the matter is that all unwanted pregnancies, with the exception of those resulting from rape, are preventible and are the result of carelessness on the woman's part.

Be it a nuance of your style of writing or just a sort of masturbatory I'm going to drive my point home cockiness, your connection with me as a reader breaks when you notify me that I obviously disagree with you. How dare you impose that on the reader? The only cause of rage from me is your putting words in my mouth. Shame on you, AO. Shame, shame. From there, you get a bit too colloquial for my tastes:

In addition, it takes two to tango, and for consensual sex to take place, the woman must consent.

It takes two to Tango unless DJ Tequila puts on a slow song, dear. Don't throw your discussion to the gutter here. You've shown skill before this point in avoiding the grime after the sex, so avoid the grime during the sex.

At this point, you are likely screaming in rage at your screen, else staring in dumb disbelief at the above statement. Ah, but if you would take but a mere moment to explore the logic behind that statement, I think you will find it to be an entirely reasonable proposition, for you see, such women have no desire to reproduce in the first place, and even if they were to conceive children, these women would kill those children.

And here's where I literally stopped reading your article. The decay of your style happened that swiftly, I'm afraid. It's displeasing to me as a reader when insinuations are made, particularly on topics such as this. Keep it light-hearted all you want, AO; just don't tell me what I'm doing or feeling.

With love, nix the pathos. Entirely. You don't do it well. If you want to pull on heart strings, lace the feelings within your logic and tie them together. But your abrupt change between the two gives me too much whiplash.

I did continue reading after writing the first portion of this review, but it seems that you hit a trend once you crossed the first point I quoted. I can literally trace where your brain switched between modes: the quality of your piece declines greatly once you do. And I understand the rebuttal that this is a touchy topic, Lumi, and everything will have pathos dripping from it, but to that, I argue back then why force more down my throat than necessary? I'm sure you see my point, given (w)ho(w) you are.

Your argument regarding Rape Abortions isn't quite solid. You're missing that scientific granite you hold up well enough in the first quarter of this piece, and your relying on questions directed at the reader reminds me of papers I graded while student teaching. Quite juvenile, I think.

That's all I have. I hope it helps.

-Lumi
I am a forest fire and an ocean, and I will burn you just as much
as I will drown everything you have inside.
-Shinji Moon

I am the property of Rydia, please return me to her ship.

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Fri Sep 23, 2011 12:58 pm
ArticulateOverlord says...

I thank you all for your input. It is quite interesting to see such varied reactions.

However, all the input thus far appears to be operating on the assumption that this was intended to be a persuasive opinion piece; it was not. Perhaps this is another case of my being too subtle for my own good, but I would rather not include a "This piece is intended to be satirical" disclaimer over ever piece I submit, considering every piece I have submitted thus far has been satire.

Perhaps I should change my custom title?

In any case, hopefully the "This is intended to be satirical" reason will justify the sudden leap from solid logos to misaimed pathos, as well as the calm, distasteful tone of the piece and missing reasonings and specifics.

I would be curious as to all of your opinions on the piece treating it as a work of satire. At the very least, I now know it is successful in being near indistinguishable from that which it satirizes.

75 Reviews

Reviews: 75
Fri Sep 23, 2011 2:19 pm
Maddy says...

Oh, it's satirical? That changes things- only a little.

Whilst you might find it tedious, I (and hopefully many others) would appreciate it if you did label every piece of work you submit like this as satire- for those of us who are not familiar with your style, it would help greatly.
-If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving definitely isn't for you!
-"Careful with that light at the end of the tunnel, it might be another train coming."

This awesome post bought to you by me. :)

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:11 am
Snoink says...

Dude. If this is a satire, go completely over the top with it. Right now, your arguments are reasonable to the point where some people (including myself!) would agree with you in certain places. Take another look at A Modest Proposal or other satirical pieces of that nature and have another go at it. You can do so much better than this... and be a lot more creative as well.

A hint... start off reasonable, and then, keeping the reasonable tone, start really amping up the creative writing of it all. It'll do wonders for you.

You are beautiful because you let yourself feel, and that is a brave thing indeed.
— Shinji Moon