z

Young Writers Society

Fruitless Attempts With a Japanese Pen

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Wed Oct 12, 2011 9:07 am
Gheala says...

I write to you this insight, which I consider to be highly insignificant, to pull out the contents of my bleak heart. No, this isn't a gloomy piece that would give you the impression I'm Emo or something of the like. It's simply that I've been suffering from the most morbid of diseases that could ever touch a writer and I thought one of you guys would succeed to understand me- or even better, to help me.

Yet again, do not cringe from the poor quality of my vocabulary, for my words seem to have gone lost from my impassive mind!

I and you might have an in common that we both love writing and take it to be the closest thing to air and food. In fact, those two things I mentioned are less important than my pen to run against the whiteness of my Cross notebook. Well, you probably know how I feel, right?

But no more, can I write properly! It's as though I've done the most terrible of deeds against someone and I was cursed with lack of inspiration for the remainder of my life. I spread my fingers on the black keyboard of my laptop and they end up tapping the least interesting of words, so I decide to use the traditional way of writing. The same word is written more than three times in the same page, my tacky style serves my protagonist's thoughts the least and my courage only manage to fade with every metaphor I use. Opening me notebook, I press the tip of my Japanese pen in morbid anxiety that my rusted brain cells might not help me.

And my assumption, shamefully, turns out to be true. I dare not to call it a prediction, because I fear to jinx myself with such an expression forever. A nasty thought, it truly is, that I might grow aloof towards my beloved protagonist while I try to get used to the new daily routine I'm forced to humor.

It's torture!

So you understand me? You might help me?
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

33 Reviews

Reviews: 33
Wed Oct 12, 2011 1:27 pm
Vettan says...

In all honestly it's absolutely alright. People have different ways of coping with what some call writer's block. I usually just take a break from writing and substitute it with something else, such as making a song about everything I see. For inspiration it sometimes helps to listen to some new song or group that you never heard before, or pop in into YWS chat; you might never know :) I would not force myself to write same word over and over again I think it's a waste of time and does nothing but constricts your imagination. I know some people will disagree with it but that is my opinion. Maybe try some random topic and try and write an outline for a possible story. For example penguins taking over the world. Think of possibilities of how they can take over the world, their reasons and motivations for it, etc.
Anyhow don't push yourself too much because I think it will do more wrong than right. Also, cheer up :)
For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards.

816 Reviews

Reviews: 816
Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:32 pm
Shearwater says...

Gheal! I have not seen you in ages!

Are you suffering from writers block? I know how you feel for I've done six tortureous monthes without writing.
With that said, I say you might need to take a break and write something new and refreshing. You are still working on your novel, correct? Maybe it's time to spend some time away from Jules...

This piece, it's written nicely and as always, I've been a great fan of your description and metaphors. Not to mention that I love the title you've given this. Your writing here is a cry for help and I can see that through your words and sentences so yeah, this piece accomplishes the task it was given.

Like Vett, mentioned in the post above me. Don't try too hard, give Jules a break and roam around and relax your mind. Go to chat, write something else - preferably something not serious or intricate but something easy and fun. Stretch your arms high and let out a big sigh and then go jogging or something. Just take your mind off the pages of your novel. It should help.

Also, don't rush things or force things to go a certain. Writing a novel means a lot of effort and time and you don't any depression of a inspirational/writers block to seep through. Keep your spirits high dear! <3

Let me know if you need anything for dear, I'm just a quick PM away.

-Pink <3
There are three rules for writing a novel. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are.
-W. Somerset Maugham

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:16 am
View Likes
Gheala says...

Pinko!!! I know we haven't talked in a VERY long time, and I do miss you a lot.
Thank you, both of you. Strange thing was that when I started writing that insight, I was surprised at how flexible the words trailed from my fingertips. It was amazing, as though that block awaited the moment I would decide to share my feelings with others.
But maybe you're right. Writer's block does need some push in the opposite direction, if you know what I mean. I keep pushing Julius to tell me his story and force myself to write everyday, even if neither of us wished to write in the first place.
Hmm... I should try to write any brief piece that isn't related to the novel. Something that wouldn't tie me with any future knots. A short story, maybe? Something stupid, but fun! Lol.

Thank you so much. <3 I'll give it a shot, for sure.
I'm back to my YWS after months of disappearance, hoping that I'd gain the immunity of books and quills against the harmful realism of our world.

In case this made no sense, I'm just saying that I'm happy I'm back!

The moral of Snow White is never eat apples.
— Lemony Snicket