z

Young Writers Society

David Gemmell

1259 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1259
Fri Nov 19, 2004 10:01 pm
Firestarter says...

Is anybody here a David Gemmell fan? I love his books. Heroic Fantasy, for all who don't know of him.

I recommend any fantasy fans to pick up any of his books, 'Legend' is a good starter, his most famous book. It's really great. Just re-read it recently, had forgotten how much I love his writing.

He is really quite good at characters, some fantasy writers invloving action and warriors sometimes forget the character is also a person and not just a killing machine. Gemmell delves in and seaches the character's memories, experiences, feelings...everything.

665 Reviews

Reviews: 665
Sun Jan 09, 2005 1:08 am
Chevy says...

I have never heard of David Gemmel. In fact, I have never even read any fantasy in my whole life--well, I read King Arthur and The Chronicles of Narnia...do they count? Lol, I doubt it.
But I can never seem to find time to really search for good fantasy books..the ones I've picked up and started have all turned out to be wack. So I guess David Gemmel? A good recomendation? Perhaps...I'll check him out.

It is only a novel... or, in short, only some work in which the greatest powers of the mind are displayed, in which the most thorough knowledge of human nature, the happiest delineation of its varieties, the liveliest effusions of wit and humour, are conveyed to the world in the best-chosen language
— Jane Austen, Northanger Abbey