z

Young Writers Society

Giants

152 Reviews

Reviews: 152
Thu Aug 25, 2011 3:59 pm
Mikko says...

At first this was meant to be a poem but I thought I’d turn it into a song because it had a sort of catchy rhythm. Enjoy!

Giants

(Verse I)
High up there you stand
All confident and grand
But how does it feel
When you think back to
When all this wasn’t…

(Repeat Verse I)
High up there you stand
All confident and grand
But how does it feel
When you think back to
When all this wasn’t real?

(Chorus)
Now you’re giants,
You look down on us:
The simple human race,
That you’re no longer running,
Take a step and you’ve already won…
Now you’re giants,
You’ve overlooked what life was like
When you were as small as us
Now you’re giants, now you’re giants.

(Verse II)
High up there you stand
You gaze upon the land
That you once worked for
Long ago,
Before that open door

(Repeat verse II)

(Chorus)

(Bridge)

But one day you’ll come crashing down
And it’ll be much too hard to grow again
And it’ll be much too hard to grow again…
Last edited by Mikko on Thu Oct 20, 2011 5:26 am, edited 2 times in total.
when she needs to shelter from reality she takes a dip in my daydreams

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:38 pm
radiatelove23 says...

hi there,two things to say:let me start off by saying i liked how this was going to be a poem but decided to turnit into lyrics because as i read it, it did have the sense of a poem.second i liked how you expressed some parts and how you were being straight forward.kind of lost on a little bit of the meaning but maybe that's just me.nice job though!
Radiate Love

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:12 pm
View Likes
joshuapaul says...

This was pretty good. I'm all very new to lyric critiquing so I won't harp on. I was wondering, however, why change it from a poem to a song? or is this a lyrical poem? I think this would probably work better as a poem, for me poetry lends itself to critical attention in a way that lyrics do not. Poetry, in a way, has rules and is respected as a literary art much more so than lyrics. Lyrics for me require musical accompaniment to provide context. That been said, I can still say this is very good. I would prefer to see it in poetry form however and the subject matter isn't necessarily unique but you have done well to convey your feelings. Well done with this! Overall relatively enjoyable.
Read my latest

245 Reviews

Reviews: 245
Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:19 pm
View Likes
creativityrules says...

Hey! I like this! I like how you weren't completely clear about who you were talking about but I still got what you were saying. You might laugh, but this almost reminded me of Grecian mytical stories about gods and humans.

Now you’re giants,
You look down on us:
The ‘simple’ human race,
Now you’re giants,

I don't know why, but it reminded me of the Greek gods, living in the clouds and watching the human race. Maybe it's just me, or maybe it has something to do with the fact that i just watched Clash of the Titans. Oh well. :)

Great work!
“...it's better to feel the ache inside me like demons scratching at my heart than it is to feel numb the way a dead body feels when you touch it."

-Brian James

114 Reviews

Reviews: 114
Fri Aug 26, 2011 1:21 pm
View Likes
Priceless says...

Hi there!

Useless praise alert.

I loved this!! I just loved it!! The chorus was amazing! This would make a really good song. You portrayed how you felt about the giants so well, it was really nice. Loved it!
We're all a little weird. And life's a little weird. And when we find someone whose weirdness is compatible with ours, we join up with them and fall in mutual weirdness and call it love.

1464 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1464
Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:33 pm
View Likes
JabberHut says...

Hi, Mikko!

I loved your piece here. I can tell that you switched it a bit from poetry to lyrics. Whether that's good or bad, I've no idea! There were some weird rhythms in there that, while reading, didn't rhythmically work. However, these things can change drastically when put to music, so nothing to really worry about unless you noticed it too!

By the way, did you come up with music for this? ;)

I also saw how you liked to repeat verses. That can sometimes get annoying, but other times, it's extremely effective. In this case, it would be amazing if one of the verses was sung with a quiet effect and the other as a boomy/loud one. It would be neat to see contrast between meek humans and powerful giants.

Now you’re giants,
You look down on us:
The ‘simple’ human race,
Now you’re giants,

So, I didn't think of celebrities at this bit! I know that's probably what you meant, and it's more likely a good thing that it didn't tell us straight out it's about celebrities. It makes it a more general metaphor that can be used in more than one place. With me, I was thinking of some alien race or gods, most likely. (The entire time, I tried to avoid thinking of the baseball team, but I'll admit. I thought of the baseball team.)

I'm not sure I liked the "simple human race" bit though since that implied it wasn't human. Most certianly, it is a metaphor. With lyrics, unless the whole song is stuffed full of metaphor, it can be taken literally. Maybe the same goes for poetry? I wouldn't say it is. However, I was thinking of Jack and the Beanstalk giant until I hit that line, then I redirected my senses to an entirely different idea.

(Bridge)
And it’ll be much too hard to grow again
And it’ll be much too hard to grow again…

Loved this. An excellent way to start your end of the song. It clears your point of the piece, and sets up for a dramatic finish to the song. Awesomeness! The chorus you play after this? It'd be neat if you ever-so-slightly edited it so as to make a more logical ending to what we have. Like a conclusion in an essay? It reflects the introduction, but nooot quite since its wrapping things up. Just maybe a couple words or so. Hopefully that made sense to you. xD If not, don't worry about it 'cause it's no big deal!

Great job with this though. Hopefully, it fits will with the music you chose. Turning a poem into a song isn't all that easy as one would think it is. There's still a structure and a style for lyrics that poetry doesn't usually have. Kudos for taking on the challenge!

Keep writing!

Jabber, the One and Only!
I make my own policies.

Let the wild rumpus start!
— Maurice Sendak