z

Young Writers Society

Laugh, Jane, Laugh

67 Reviews

Reviews: 67
Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:02 am
LadyFreeWill says...

Spoiler! :
Why the hell is there no horror story category on YWS? I mean, isn't horror a genre?!
Please note that this is the first time I've ever attempted to write a scary story. And oh God, I have to get some more points. I'm on the verge of bankruptcy.

Jane can hear the laughter.
It’s four-forty in the morning and she’s watching a horror movie online. She takes off her headphones and looks around listens carefully. The house is quiet, as to be expected at such an early hour. Jane is used to the quiet. She’s a bit of an insomniac and spends most of the night on her laptop while her parents and brother sleep.
Jane shrugs it off and replaces the headphones. The movie keeps going. As a building on screen explodes, she swears she hears the laughter again. This time she takes of her headphones and sits up on her bed. She listens carefully again and then slips off the mattress, tip-toeing to her closed door. She opens it quietly and peeks out into the hall.
It’s dark.
No one’s there.
Jane closes the door and heaves a sigh as she rubs her eyes. She sits down on her bed and shuts off her laptop before placing it under her bed. It must just be one of those nights. She figures she should go to sleep early.
She lies down on her back and releases the tension in her body as she lets her eyelids droop close.

The cackling wakes her up. Jane’s eyes snap open and she looks around the room. It’s empty, as to be expected. There’s sunlight streaming in through the blinds over her window. She glances at the digital clock at her bedside and then springs into action; she’s late for school.

She waits at the bus stop with Danny. She’s listening to her iPod and she hears the faint laughter again. This time she frowns and looks around. She wonders if it’s her brother trying to freak her out.
‘Not funny, Danny,’ she says loudly, shooting him a glare.
He looks up from his cellphone and gives her a strange look before returning to it and muttering, ‘Jane has finally… cracked,’ under his breath as his thumbs fly across his cell’s keyboard.
She rolls her eyes as the bus stops in front of them.
As she climbs on, she hears it again, this time it’s like the giggle of a naughty child. She frowns and pauses, looking over her shoulder and taking out her ear buds.
‘Hurry up there,’ the driver tells her and she goes up the remaining steps on the bus.

She’s sitting in Study Hall and there’s a thunderstorm raging outside. They’re all restless so someone turns off the lights and the teacher tells them an old scary story. It’s pretty boring and Jane stops listening after the babysitter finds one of the children dead.
‘Jane, why don’t you tell a story?’
She blinks and looks around to see everyone staring at her in the dark.
‘Yeah,’ someone else says, ‘You’re an expert in scary stuff.’
So she takes the flashlight from the teacher and thinks of a story to tell. She can’t think of a good one that not a single one of them will know, so she makes one up on the spot. ‘You can hear the laughter,’ she says slowly, ‘It echoes around you, running from one shadow to the next.’
Her listeners scoot in closer so they can hear over the rain pounding overhead. ‘It’s the shadow people, and they’re following you. You can’t see them, so they laugh.’ Her eyes fly open when she hears the laughter. She looks around frantically, and someone says, ‘Jane?’
They’re waiting for her to continue. ‘The shadow people want you. They’re waiting for you to let your guard down. But there’s someone out there who just can’t keep quiet. They laugh whenever you are close to getting snatched, and they accidentally warn you.’

+++

‘You’re counting on the laughter to keep you alive, but then it stops. A long time passes, and you never hear the laughter again…’

Jane waves good-bye to her friends and heads down the street. She’s walking by herself to the bus station since it’s late and she was at an after-school club. It’s late October, and the evening is chilly. The sun is already setting, and it will be gone by the time she gets home.

‘But then you make your mistake.’

If Jane cuts through the alley between some office buildings, though, she’ll make it home on time. The streetlights are already turning on when she steps off the bus and heads across the office parking lot.
A dog barks somewhere on the block. The wind blows, sending shivers through Jane’s body, and she’s glad when she makes it to the entrance of the alley; the buildings block the wind. It’s dark, but Jane can see the end of the alley about ten yards ahead. She hurries forward and almost trips over some trash that litters the ground.
She’s almost out on the street when she stumbles once more. She trips over forward and rips her jeans.

‘You let your guard down.’

And then something cold grabs her and she screams. Suddenly, Jane can hear the laughter.
But this time, it’s too late.
Last edited by LadyFreeWill on Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly TheScratchMan.

Reviews: 1
Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:01 am
RabbitHeart says...

Creepy! I loved every minute of it :D

One thing i'd like to point out:
‘Not funny, Danny,’ She says loudly, shooting him a look.

I think it should be: "Not funny, Danny," she says loudly, shooting him a look.

She should be lowercase.

P.S: I agree with your spoiler 100 PERCENT!
“Midway upon the journey of our life
I found myself within a forest dark
For the straightforward pathway had been lost”
- Dante Alighieri, Inferno, Canto 1

78 Reviews

Reviews: 78
Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:05 am
davantageous says...

great plot.
Davantageous

280 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 280
Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:47 am
joshuapaul says...

Want more points? Write more reviews, but don't write them for the points, write them because you will grow as a writer. Writing reviews trains your eyes to spot errors, trains your mind to the intricate touches that separate good and great writing. So when I see someone with less than a thousand points, I'm not inclined to critique their work -- unless of course they are a prolific contributor to competition points rewards.

As for the forum horror, I guess there is a point to be made here. But why stop at horror? Why not add speculative fiction, thriller, crime? what about sub genres Historical-Horror and so on? I guess horror doesn't attract too many contributions and horror stories can generally be filed as 'action/adventure.'

For the story itself, I won't delve into too much depth. I will say this is stock full of clichés, but it's horror so what else should I expect?
Read my latest

Random avatar

Reviews: 7
Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:47 am
AstridBartleby says...

This is great! One of the creepiest stories I've ever read. I love the use of the parts in italics in the second part. They add this great other dimension to the story. I also like how the ending isn't overly detailed. I had a lot of fun imagining the possible endings. (Though not in a morbid way, it's just nice to be able to use my imagination.)

Keep up the great work!
"Think: who has vans, huh? Soccer moms and serial killers." - Libba Bray Going Bovine

202 Reviews

Reviews: 202
Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:24 am
View Likes
Octave says...

Hey there Scratch! Given I've been reading King's Nightmares and Dreamscapes + rereading Nabokov's Lolita, I've a little taste for darker fiction these days. >] Guess you could say I'm in a halloween-y mood.

Let's get started, shall we?

I'm not going to do a line by line of this piece because the flow is decent and there are very little if any stilted sentences. I'll just point those out towards the end of the piece. For the moment, let's focus on the fact that this is a horror story but failed to give me even the slightest bit of a reaction.

Why?

Well, honestly, I think with this piece you weren't aiming for a heavy-handed visceral type of horror with lots of gore and chewing and, well, you get the idea. You were probably aiming for the slightly subtler type of horror, the one that creeps up on you until you realize what's going on but you can't stop reading it because it's such a beautiful trainwreck and oh my gosh you just have to see how it ends.

I can tell you it didn't work, and why it didn't work.

See, there are no thoughts here. None at all. Zilch, nada. And that's bad. See, when emotional stories work, they work because the audience strongly empathizes with the main character. Here, there's no empathy whatsoever because

1. Jane is flat as a pizza.

2. Jane has no thoughts.

3. I'm not even sure if Jane could be considered human or if she should just be a marionette you tug. o0"

See, what I'm trying to say here is that right now, Jane seems more like a plot device than an actual living, breathing character. If she doesn't feel scared, or if her fear doesn't feel real to me, then there is no reason I'd be terrified, you know? From early on I can tell something is wrong, but that's just it. I know something is wrong, but I can't sense the terror that should loom around the corner.

I mean, I do know it's there but I don't actually grasp the meaning of that. Let me try to explain further.

We all know we're going to grow up. True.

Not all of us understand what that really means. Eh?

If we all understood what it really means to grow up and go to college and have to vie for the best grades, we'd probably be a lot more carefree in our younger years. We'd have gorged ourselves on more candy while our parents spent for it, saved up extra money, spent more time with them, and would be a ton more understanding of where they come from. So we can safely say that all children realize that one day they'll be grown-ups too, but not all children understand what it would mean to really grow up.

Similarly, I know there's something terrible around the corner, but you haven't made me understand what that really means so there is no fear in me. I'm like: okay I'm going to get hurt right around the corner. I know it, but I don't truly believe in it so I'm indifferent about it.

Back to Jane. Why is she flat as a pizza? You didn't give her any unique quirks.

Listening to music? Who doesn't?

Rides the bus? So does a dozen other kids.

Telling scary stories? Most of us have, at one point in our lives.

You have to give me something to hold on to. Some mix of traits that will be uniquely her. As Vonnegut said, give the reader someone she could root for. If you threw Jane and, say, a living breathing sphinx in a cage, I'm probably going to root for the sphinx. Just saying.

So. How to give Jane a little more life? For one, aside from the quirks - the little things she does no one else probably does -, you can also afford to show me more thoughts and body language - and make it organic. Right now this reads a bit like a laundry list of cause and effect. This happened so this happened and then this happened and so that happened, blah blah blah. It's starting to sound like an instruction booklet, you know? It's not so much the flow as much as it's the pacing. It's a list of events and nothing else. No emotions, no atmosphere, nothing to tie it all together and to turn it into an actual story.

Atmosphere is vital to a horror story, and this can be achieved by better word choices. Right now your words are strung together carelessly. Try to think of words that would fit better and carry more weight with it.

For example, let's take a sentence of yours and rework it by changing just one word.

There’s sunlight streaming in through the blinds over her window

Let's change streaming into flickering.

There’s sunlight flickering in through the blinds over her window

Suddenly it just feels more ominous. ;)

Lots of little things like these added together can make for an excellent story with great atmosphere, so try to reread your work and see where you can tweak your sentences here and there to allow for a creepier effect.

On body language, try to insert little tics. She opened the door, but maybe while she opened it she thought she could feel something breathing down her neck so her hair was standing on end. Something. I don't know. oo"

In the second to the last part, you show the audience your hand, and there's not even much of a dramatic flourish. While I'm all for simplicity, I think this just doesn't have the same impact because it makes no sense whatsoever for your mc to know this and not freak out yet. This ties in to your laughter - how to make it creepier. To make it creepier, you have to insert that seed of doubt. Is it truly something - ? Or is there something bigger to pay attention to?

Anyway, back to the topic of showing the audience your hand. At least foreshadow it. It feels like you just pulled it out of nowhere for the sake of infodumping. Not cool. The trick to revealing information to the audience is to do it in such a way that they don't realize they're collecting little bits of information. Eventually, they'll put it together without any conscious effort and when they finish the story, they'll be blown away by the fact that you never really told them anything at once, but somehow they know so much about your world now. Leak it to them in bits, and make sure not to break their suspension of disbelief while you do it. Right here, it makes no sense whatsoever that Jane would know about them. It's just...weird and anachronistic. oo

So this came out a little rambly. >> I just hope it's helpful. Remember, emotions and atmosphere are the prime ingredients of horror fiction. If you can't elicit a reaction or create an atmosphere that'll sufficiently creep out the audience for you, you can't really do much with horror. Word choices are key to atmosphere, so be careful with them.

Sincerely,

Octave
"The moral of this story, is that if I cause a stranger to choke to death for my amusement, what do you think I’ll do to you if you don’t tell me who ordered you to kill Colosimo?“

-Boardwalk Empire

Love, get out of my way.

Dulcinea: 2,500/50,000

For a short space of time I remained at the window watching the pallid lightnings that played above Mont Blanc and listening to the rushing of the Arve, which pursued its noise way beneath. The same lulling sounds acted as a lullaby to my too keen sensations; when I placed my head upon my pillow, sleep crept over me; I felt it as it came and blessed the giver of oblivion.
— Mary Shelley, Frankenstein