z

Young Writers Society

Daddy's girl

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:20 pm
View Likes
Acid_Fairy says...

Mummy and Daddy have gone to war. Things will never bo the same again. Pushing and pulling. Is it his? or is it hers? They'll get round to me in the end.
Daddy went away. I'm left with mummy. the crying the shouting has stopped. everything seems silent. silence is precious. silence is golden. don't break it. It shatters easily. Handle with care.
I stopped counting the coulours of the rainbow. to me there were but two. Balck and white. White and Black. For good, for Bad. who was to decide? Not me.
Custody? i don't undertsand? I want to live with Daddy. It's simple to me. but to them it isn't. Mummy wants me too. they baoth have a firm grasp. pulling me left, pulling me right. they hurt. the pain doesn't just go skin deep.
The voice in my head tells me to be brave. the voice my head says 'stick it out'. the voice in my head says 'suck up the pain'. is it really that easy? not for me.
I have to stay with mummy. i want to be with daddy. i cry. mummy shouts. i walk away i slam the door. this is the ruin left of our family.
i'll stick it out-I'll suck up the pain. but deep inside i'll always be
Daddyy's girl.
Angel now- Devil forever ;-P

40 Reviews

Sat Apr 30, 2005 1:23 pm
View Likes
Acid_Fairy says...

this isn't that good- i just wrote at the cmputer on impulse. it wasn't really thought through. there are lots of typing erros.
the bit about the colours of the rainbow should be in present tense-

'i stop counting the colours of the rainbow. to me there are but two. Black and white. white and black. for good, for bad. who is to decide? not me.'

685 Reviews

Reviews: 685
Sat Apr 30, 2005 3:04 pm
View Likes
Rei says...

It wasn't that bad. But I can tell that you wrote it on an implus. All it really needs, though, is more depth to make it feel real.
Please, sit down before you fall down.
Belloq, "Raiders of the Lost Ark"

798 Reviews

Reviews: 798
Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:03 pm
Areida says...

Wow. Even though this had lots of capitalization/punctuation/spelling/typing errors, it still struck a chord with me. I know exactly how you feel. My parents are divorced and I wanted to live with my dad, but had to stay with my mom for several months. It's a horrible feeling and I think you captured that beautifully, with a sweet, childlike innocence.

With a little revision, I think this piece will affect others as strongly as it did me. I don't have time right now, but in the next week or so I'd be happy to go through and nitpick. Let me say once again, however, that I really liked this piece. Just the raw emotion in it was fantastic, so all you need is some revision. Great job.
Got YWS?

"Most of us have far more courage than we ever dreamed we possessed."
- Dale Carnegie

576 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 576
Sat Jun 04, 2005 4:21 pm
View Likes
Ego says...

I actually did like this a lot--it is evident you wrote it on impulse, yeah, but it was also well written in that it had a voice, and in that voice the reader found a character with problems--believable problems, and ones that hurt.

Well done.

(I realize that made no sense, but I'm just happy that I'm AWAKE hurray!)
Got YWS? I do.

Lumi: Don't you drag my donobby into this.
Lumi: He's the sweetest angel this side of hades.

798 Reviews

Wed Jun 15, 2005 4:05 pm
View Likes
Areida says...

Acid_Fairy wrote:Mummy and Daddy have gone to war.

Good opening line. It captures my attention.

Things will never bo the same again. Pushing and pulling. Is it his? or is it hers? They'll get round to me in the end.

Make this a separate paragraph.

Daddy went away. I'm left with mummy. the crying the shouting has stopped. everything seems silent. silence is precious. silence is golden. don't break it. It shatters easily. Handle with care.

Try something like this:
"Daddy went away, and I'm left with Mummy. The crying has stopped, except for the tears that fall onto my pillow each night when I'm the only one left awake. Everything seems silent. I cling to the quiet: silence is golden, precious, but it shatters easily and must be handled with care."

I stopped counting the coulours of the rainbow. to me there were but two. Balck and white. White and Black. For good, for Bad. who was to decide? Not me.

Mm... Maybe: "I've stopped counting the colours of the rainbow. Once, there were but two: black and white. One for good; one for bad. Now they have smashed together and my world is coloured in shades of grey.

Custody? i don't undertsand? I want to live with Daddy. It's simple to me. but to them it isn't. Mummy wants me too. they baoth have a firm grasp. pulling me left, pulling me right. they hurt. the pain doesn't just go skin deep.

I like the one word opening, that's good. Try something like this: "Custody? I don't understand. I just want to live with Daddy. That one thing seems simple to me, but to them it isn't; Mummy wants me too. They both have a firm grasp, pulling me back and forth. It feels like they're ripping my heart into pieces."

The voice in my head tells me to be brave. the voice my head says 'stick it out'. the voice in my head says 'suck up the pain'. is it really that easy? not for me.

I don't want to sound heartless in ANY way, because I identify with this piece more than you know. I know it sounds cheesy, but even as I edit this, I have this weird ache in my chest that refuses to leave, and that means you're doing a great job. BUT, "the voice in my head" makes me think of two things: "Don't waste your time on me you're already the voice inside my yead..." and "Tell your little voices to shut up; I can't hear mine!"

So, maybe try something like this: "I tell myself to be brave, to stick it out. Suck up the pain. But I'm realizing it's not that easy."

I have to stay with mummy. i want to be with daddy. i cry. mummy shouts. i walk away i slam the door. this is the ruin left of our family.
i'll stick it out-I'll suck up the pain. but deep inside i'll always be
Daddyy's girl.

I like the short sentences here... they make me think of someone crying so hard that they can't get anything else but little clips out. That's good; it contributes to the atmosphere... and the feeling that you and your world is being ripped to shreds and there's nothing you can do about it.

I realize that this piece is called "Daddy's Girl", but it really doesn't come into play until much later. Perhaps you could say something earlier that would tie it in better, and make it less abrupt. Anyway.

"I have to stay with Mummy, even though I want to be with Daddy. I cry. Mummy shouts. I walk away. The door slams. I am standing in the ruins of what was once a family.

I'll stick it out, I can suck up the outward pain. But deep inside, I know I'll always be:

Daddy's girl."

I know I'm biased, but just the raw emotion in this piece is absolutely heart-wrenching. Really. You've done an excellent job.
Got YWS?

- Dale Carnegie

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Thu Jun 16, 2005 12:31 am
View Likes
Snoink says...

I love how childlike it sounds. No offense, but you seem to have caught the simplicity of a child and the innocence.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

798 Reviews

Thu Jun 16, 2005 1:12 am
View Likes
Areida says...

I agree. I think that's part of the reason I like it so much. It really captures the innocence and confusion that accompany children when they are put through divorce.
Got YWS?

- Dale Carnegie

40 Reviews

Thu Jun 16, 2005 9:00 am
View Likes
Acid_Fairy says...

thanks guys! your points really helped!

I want to understand you, I study your obscure language.
— Alexander Pushkin