z

Young Writers Society

Cloud of Pain

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:14 am
Laurence Branson says...

Be as harsh and as critical as you need to be! I'm planning on submitting this in a local library competition so it needs to be perfect! Thanks :). It's 857 words.

Pain.

It’s that constant and sharp ache, stimulated by the jolt of nerves in an affected area. It’s that imperfect flow of blood, thick and unwanted.

It reverberated through his leg like a dark, heavy cloud engulfing a sunny day. As soon as the cloud would start to subside, it would develop in the second leg, as Nonno Pino made his way up the stairs. A walking frame assisted his climb; there was no rail in the old house. Pino’s legs were throbbing, his heart pounding by the time he reached the front door. A loud horn sounded behind him, as his grandson – nipote Juliano – drove away in his flashing car.

Pino was getting old; his joints were crumbling, his back hunched and his hearing was virtually gone but he would always recognise that horn. After all, he heard it twice a day. Sandra, Pino’s daughter, forced her son to visit Nonno Pino once a day. Pino knew why. She knew he was going to die soon. He didn’t deny this belief and besides, he wasn’t going to go against it because he enjoyed the company, even though Juliano clearly didn’t. Pino knew that the only way he could make Juliano smile in some way was by giving him an allowance; a monetary favour for being a guest.

Pino sighed. He continued his walk through the frontyard of his home and placed himself on his favourite armless rocking-chair on the front porch. Impulsively, he thought, “I’m going to die on this chair someday”. But he shoved the idea away instantly. He didn’t like to think about death. He wasn’t ready for it. All the old folks were gone, yes. But surely, he could find someone before he passed? A lonely death just wasn’t right.

Pino picked up his cup of tea from the table in front of him. He dipped his biscuit in it so that it was soft enough to chew. It had been 15 years since Pino bid hail and farewell to his last tooth. Toothless he had come out of his mother’s womb and toothless he would go into his grave. Sandra had bought him a set of false teeth for Father’s day but they hurt his gums and so, he would only wear them when he knew Sandra was coming. Pino chuckled and thought about when young Juliano was a kid. The perfect thing about children is that they’re too innocent to discriminate based on age. Throwing himself out of his mother’s car like the local kids running for Dr. Jones’ Ice Cream, he would rush into Nonno’s arms, crashing into his chest. Sandra would watch, with her sunglasses on, in her modern attire, as Nonno and nipote would tussle on the soft grass without a care in the world. Sometimes the neighbours would watch, with quizzical expressions. Pino would just laugh harder and Juliano would join along. One neighbour even came up to them once and told Pino – “you’re an ol’ man, be careful!” Pino told him not to worry, in a thick Italian accent and Juliano added, “Yeah, we’re like brothers!”

The neighbour shook his head insultingly and got back to his gardening duties, ripping away the dirt in front of him with his pick and breaking the earth as if he was slaughtering an animal. Juliano always looked at him suspiciously, imagining at times that they were at war and that he must be captured, just like the stories of old that Nonno had told him; stories of a war that seemed so far away and so long ago.

Juliano was no longer that kid.

Ah well...

Pino could see that the shadows around him, from the trees and the lone green street lamppost, had considerably stretched, indicating the sun had begun to give up for the day. It was quarter past six and he wasn’t doing too badly for an ol’ man. He really needed to get up or the stiffness of his legs would settle in like iron. But he couldn’t. The cloud of pain was too great and had now enveloped every bone of his body. It wasn’t a physical pain though. It was the pain of loneliness forcing him into the rocking chair, suffocating his nerves and paralysing any motivation he had. Would he ever get up? Was this truly his place of death? On Martin Street, outside his sixty year old house, on the left side of his front porch, forever dazing alone, forever hurt alone, forever rocking back and forth, back and forth, pop goes the weasel...

There were too many clouds. Too many clouds. He needed an early sleep. Yes, that’s what he needed. Just for a bit. There was no sin in that. Not at his age...

When Pino woke up, he was looking at his eyes. The eyes of Juliano staring back at him. The same eyes of his mother.

Instantly, Pino became angry, “Why didn’t you sound the horn? You know I hate it when I don’t come to you first! Guests should be greeted.”

Juliano laughed nervously, “I did! Three times. You must have been so exhausted. I needed to come out to make sure you were okay. I even shook you once and you didn’t respond.”

A tear rolled down Juliano’s right eye.

“I got scared, Nonno. Let me get you up. Who knows how long you’ve been on that chair.”

Pino was lifted from the chair, but his mind was elsewhere. What was he really worth? Would it take the possibility of his death to realise some kind of familial compassion? Or was he really just an ol’ man, with too much time on his hands?

“Let’s go for a walk?”

And Pino nodded immediately. He needed to abolish that cloud. He needed that moment of clarity.
Last edited by Laurence Branson on Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
The worse thing I can be is the same as everybody else.
A.S.

74 Reviews

Reviews: 74
Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:01 am
View Likes
Sachiko says...

Hey, Laurence!

This was a very nice piece; I really liked the style you invoked! Quiet, a little melancholy, but goodhearted all the same.

Nitpicks:

The neighbour shook his head insultingly

I personally found the bolded word to be very jarring; you have a wonderful writing style, and when I read "insultingly" it just shook me right out of the flow of the work.

Pino grabbed his cup of tea from the table in front of him.

When I think of the word "grabbed", I picture whoever's doing the grabbing to be young and full of a lot of energy. Perhaps substitute "picked up"?

He stamped his feet loudly, smoking his cigarette in his right hand.

Kinda awkward sounding, makes it seem like he's got a mouth in his hand! Maybe rework the sentence a bit? Though it could just be me!

Something else I've noticed as I'm reading through again is that there's an awful lot of "telling" as apposed to "showing". You started the piece off beautifully with the description of Pino's pain, but now that we're being told about Pino's grandson, that's just it: we're being told. I want to see! The bit about the paralysis is an improvement, but I still think it could be made a lot stronger. :) Does this need to be kept under a certain word count?

Regardless, I loved this a lot; good luck in the contest! I hope I helped even a little bit. =D Shoot me a PM or a comment on my wall if you have any questions!

Sachiko
"Funniest Member -- Sachiko. Secretly the devil. Do not engage. I repeat, do not engage." -- Iggy

"Behold ye babes of grammar: the goddess Sachiko. She does what she wants." -- Lauren2010

456 Reviews

Reviews: 456
Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:55 pm
View Likes
Rascalover says...

Thanks for requesting a review! :D

It’s that constant and sharp ache, stimulated by the jolt of nerves in an affected area. It’s that imperfect flow of blood, thick and unwanted.

I love this beginning. :D

as his grandson – nipote Juliano – drove away in his flashing car.

The - should be commas, and Nipote needs to be capitalized.

Pino was getting old; his joints were crumbling, his back hunched and his hearing was virtually gone but he would always recognise that horn.

This is a run-on sentence. Correct it by replacing the comma after crumbling with a period and capitalizing the h in his, and replace the but after gone with a semi-colon (;)

Impulsively, he thought, “I’m going to die on this chair someday”. But he shoved the idea away instantly.

Take away the quotation marks, and italisize I'm going to die in the chair someday. Replace the period after someday with a comma and lower case the b in but.

All the old folks were gone, yes. But surely, he could find someone before he passed?

Never start a sentence with the words and, but, nor, or, yet, so, for. Replace the eriod after yes with a comma and lower case the b in but.

Sandra had bought him a set of false teeth for Father’s day but they hurt his gums and so, he would only wear them when he knew Sandra was coming.

This is a run-on sentence, so add a comma after day, replace and so, with a semi-colon (;)

told Pino – “you’re an ol’ man, be careful!”

There's no need for the dash after Pino.

It was quarter past six and he wasn’t doing too badly for an ol’ man.

There needs to be a comma after six.

He really needed to get up or the stiffness of his legs would settle in like iron. But he couldn’t.

Replace the or after up with a semi-colon and replace the period after iron with a comma and lowercase the b in but.

forever hurt alone,

Forever hurting alone

forever rocking back and forth, back and forth, pop goes the weasel...

There were too many clouds. Too many clouds.

There is no need for the second too many clouds

Yes, that’s what he needed. Just for a bit.

Replace the period after needed with a comma and lowercase the j in just

There was no sin in that. Not at his age...

Replace the period after that with a comma and lower case the n in not

The eyes of Juliano staring back at him. The same eyes of his mother.

Replace the period after him with a comma and lower case the t in the.

I even shook you once and you didn’t respond.”

There should be a comma after once.

Who knows how long you’ve been on that chair.”

Who knows how long you have been in that chair.

And Pino nodded immediately.

Take away the word and.

I liked this story alot. If you ever need another review or have any questions feel free to ask.

Have a great day,
Tiffany
There is nothing to writing; all you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein~ Red Smith

Who needs a review? :) http://www.youngwriterssociety.com/topic38078.html

166 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 166
Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:44 am
Charlie II says...

Hey Laurence,

Old people

I like your portrayal of Pino. There's something quite difficult about writing a piece in the perspective of an older person, but I think you managed to pull it off nicely. There are a couple of key elements that I'm going to highlight though.

• The Past
  • Complaints
  • The End
You handle the last two very well -- Pino has that classic recognisable trait of having trouble with things but not asking for help! That's very human. Also he consciously directs his mind away from death which is another obsession of the old.

The only thing I'd like to see more of is the stories of the past. Old people have always been through something extraordinary in their time, and you do mention a war but it's never that prominent in the story. I know you're probably on a word limit here, but I think a little extra on the time "before" would fully flesh-out Pino as a character.

Tone

It's beautifully melancholic.

The ending is brilliantly final -- it cadences properly -- and you leave the reader with only their predictions of the end of Pino's story, which is fine. That's how life is, and this piece is definitely one that represents life and its passage. The tone throughout is also good, there's some repetition of key themes that helps to strengthen the ideas which is always good to see.

My only concern, really, is the opening. It was very poetic and "literary" in the most awkward sense and I don't think it fits well with the more pragmatic narration that follows. It's almost as if it's in purely to have some sort of "writerly hook" because you're writing a competition piece, but I'm afraid to say it did nothing for me.

In the third paragraph ("It reverberated through his leg...") you seem to get into the swing of things, and it's here that I would start if I were you. The first two lines on abstract pain aren't nearly as powerful as an old man struggling to perform a routine task. Your characters are where the interest lies -- perhaps you'll consider making that your opening?

Emotion

Pino's anger is convincing. Juliano's tear is not.

There's something kinda melodramatic about it that, again, seems to go against the very real and pragmatic feel of the piece. In fact it's still obvious how he feels even if you don't show the tear. You might want to consider showing the emotion through a more subtle means -- it's your choice, but I reckon you could make this seem a bit more mature that way.

Overall

This is a lovely piece. I think you're almost there with it and, if you have time, you might wanna consider the suggestions I've made before you submit this to the competition. Sorry the review's so late, but I've been rather busy recently. Hope the review helps!

Charlie
I am thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose.
-- Woody Allen

Just think happy thoughts and you'll fly.
— Peter Pan