z

Young Writers Society

One for sorrow

344 Reviews

Reviews: 344
Fri May 02, 2008 4:44 pm
Eimear says...

He was always brutally honest with me. I’m ashamed to admit that’s a quality I admire in people. I suppose Doctors have to give you that impression though. Trust and all that. I’ve never been one to fall for stupid things, even though I guess you could call me a good liar. That’s a quality I hate about myself.

‘Megan,’ he said, the crinkles forming around his eyes again ‘You know things won’t get any better if you don’t start talking. Come on, now.’

His surgery made me feel queasy. Probably because I always feel sick when I’m in it. It’s a small, cramped room which is always too warm and smells too clean. There’s a green plastic bed covered in paper for you to lie on, one window permanently with the blinds closed and him. Doctor Hilary. What an unfortunate name. Still, at least his first name is Mark.

‘I can’t sleep and I can’t wake’ I said finally. My skin felt warm on the outside but I shivered. Everything was hurting.

‘You can’t…wake?’ he said dubiously ‘Now that’s a first.’

‘Not really,’ I said with a bit more force ‘It means-’

‘I’m aware of what it means. It’s a first you telling me what’s really wrong, that’s all. How are things at home?’

He was pushing his luck. I closed my words. Doctor Hilary seemed to realise this, because he sighed like some kind of dying man. I mean, what’s he got to complain about? With a cushy job, three buck-teeth kids and a plump wife. Awesome. I’d shoot my own dog for a life like that.

‘That was a silly question,’ he smiled ‘I know things must be hard. But you have to understand that none of this is your fault, Megan. If you would just let me refer you-’

‘What’s the point?’

Psychologists, in my opinion, aren’t necessarily the devil. But they still wouldn’t help me. The Doctor’s face crumpled in despair.

I didn’t mean to make him look like that, but it felt good pilfering some of my pain onto his wrinkly face. His hair was going grey. A sign that he’d be dead of a heart -attack give or take about fifteen years. Things weren’t so kind on me.

‘I just want you to give me something to knock me out,’ I said finally, looking at the floor

‘Seeing as the treatment’s over, we’ll set you on a course of sleeping tablets.’

Over. There’s a euphemism. Failed would be more accurate.

He wrote the form, god love him. I bet he never thought when he delivered me in that hospital that he’d get rid of me so quickly. There’s life for you. Or death, I suppose.

I walked out of the building. It was pissing with rain outside, the last of the autumn warmth swept away on a cloud of wind and loose leaves. Mum said she’d drive me, but I prefer doing things for myself. I always have.

‘Meg! Megan!’

The familiar voice made me smile. But then I remembered that I had forgotten how to smile and it quickly vanished. A gangly teenage boy emerged from the mist of parked cars, his scruffy hair and rich clothes in a mismatch.

‘Oh,’ I said, more to myself than him ‘Hey Prospero.’

I went to turn and keep going, but he caught my arm gently with his bony hand. I used to hold that hand. I’d forgotten how nice his fingernails were.

‘Wait, please- Meggie wait. Why don’t you answer your phone anymore? And don’t tell me you haven’t been in when I call around. I know you are.’

‘Who the hell are you, anyway?’ I said ‘Just leave me alone’

‘Who am I? I’m your boyfriend in case you haven’t noticed’

I had of course, noticed. But I wasn’t that Megan anymore. I was the new Megan. The one who had walked out of the scan that day with cancer. People like me don’t have boyfriends, because we don’t have futures. Just cancer.

‘I miss you,’ he said, tears now streaming from his eyes. They always changed colour in thunderous weather. I often wondered if he was real after all, or one of those perfect changeling children the fairies leave for you in the place of the old baby. Someone would love him one day.

I watched him for a while, before putting my hand on his arm. He was warm. Somehow he managed to hug me.

‘I miss you,’ he said again.

‘I miss me.’
We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars.

Oscar Wilde.

150 Reviews

Reviews: 150
Fri May 02, 2008 5:11 pm
ChernobyllyInclined says...

This was interesting. I think I liked it.

It flowed fairly well and the description was vivid, pretty. My only criticism would be about the characters. I feel like they need a little bit more attention, like perhaps Meghan needs a few memories so that we know the difference between the old Meghan and the new, dying Meghan. Perhaps on her way out of the hospital she could recall what she had felt like at her first visit. Had she been hopeful? Was she a naturally positive person and the cancer had destroyed that? How does she think of herself?

I don't know if you are going any further with this, although I think it works fine as a sketch and does not necessarily need to be continued. I think if you just lengthened it a little and added a bit more to Meghan character it would be quite good or just much better.

I hope this helps and feel free to PM me if you have any questions.
"Men invent new ideals because they dare not attempt old ideals. They look forward with enthusiasm, because they are afraid to look back."

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Sat May 03, 2008 1:49 am
SuicideKing says...

I agree with Chernobyl. Frankly, I don't care about the protagonist right now. I don't know enough about her to care that she has cancer or that she's dying. If you want your readers to care about Megan, make her real. Make her a friend. Make her someone the reader knows intimately. Perhaps, as Chernobyl said through memories.

All we have here is the present. The anger, the resentment, the hatred of life. We don't see how she was before. We don't see the likable Megan that would have been able to attain a boyfriend in the first place. All we have is this resentful little creature that is rather unlikable.

Give us a reason to like her--because right now...I really, really don't, haha.

--King
“Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth, follow only beauty, and obey only love.”

--Kahlil Gibran

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Sat May 03, 2008 10:28 am
deleted2 says...

I agree with the two repliers before me about the coldness of Megan. Have a flashback, for example, of her and her boyfriend before the life-changing diagnosis.

She's human, and underneath all those negative emotions she's going through lives the Megan she used to be, show us! Reveal THAT Megan and make us love the character, and feel bad for her.

That, my friend, is the power of writing :D
Sorry, I am relatively insane :?

I hope my critique helps you !!
XxxDo
Attachments
Critiqued.doc
Here it is :D
(26 KiB) Downloaded 37 times

370 Reviews

Reviews: 370
Tue May 06, 2008 5:53 pm
Aedomir says...

Hey!

I have attached all the writing feedback in the .doc file.

I would firstly like to say that I didn't really feel for Megan. I reckone we need a prologue of some design at the start, for example, her waking up, pale, tired, depressed etc. I think we need to find out who she is some more, and get some character development within the lines, as right now, I don't really care for your MC. Great though, I enjoyed it aside from that.

Keep writing!

-Mark
Attachments
One for Sorrow.doc
(33 KiB) Downloaded 29 times
We are all Sociopaths: The Prologue

Sociopath: So • ci • o • path noun
1. Someone who believes their behaviour is right.
2. Human.

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Thu May 08, 2008 11:43 pm
sylverdawn says...

This is really well done, you connect with the girl, Megan. I get the feeling that she's already given up on life, but she still doesn't want to die. It's an interesting limbo to be in, and a difficult one to right about. But you carry it well.

I think you should start from right before she finds about the cancer. Take this part and make it a prologue then flashback to the beginning. Make the readers understand how she got to this point.
DANCE- Like no-one is watching
LOVE- Like you've never been hurt
SING- Like no-one is listening
LIVE- Like it's heaven on earth.

Please read and review my novel. The title is Fireborn. Here's the link.

novel.php?id=1157

112 Reviews

Reviews: 112
Fri Aug 01, 2008 12:20 pm
kris says...

Heya Eimear, do you know the ditty?
One for sorrow
two for joy
three for a girl
four for a boy
five for silver
six for gold
seven for a secret never to be told.

I think you are as cunning as you are brilliant! The short story's title was very beautiful in it's own right, and it denotes the narrator's sorrow/depression etc. Yet she is also holding something back, like she is in the world and somehow not a part of it "seven for a secret never to be told".
I think that this kind of subtle beauty in your writing, comes from all of your work with poetry.
Anyway!

I really liked the effortlessness of the read, it all read very smoothly indeed. Not disjointed at all :P alas something my writing is infamous for! hahaha
The mannerisms and idioms that you gave to the two characters when they conversed, were really well thought out. Believable and distinctive. :D

I only have one problem...there is not nearly enough of it. Please to be writing more

Love
Kris
x

Random avatar

Reviews: 10
Fri Aug 01, 2008 9:25 pm
Aurora says...

Okay, when I first started reading this I struggled to understand what was going on.
Once I finished it and read Megan's conversation with the doctor again I understood. I thought it was very good and the end tugged at my heart-strings. The whole exchange between her and her boyfriend was sweet. It was depressing overall, but very good.

I also liked Megan's dry sense of humor. The part about her shooting her own dog was very funny. There was nothing about it I didn't like. Like I said at first I didn't really know what was going on but you tied it all together in the end.

There was one part I didn't understand and that was when Megan said she couldn't wake. I don't really understand what she meant, but that is probably just me. Anyway, I liked it a lot!

You unlock this door with the key of imagination. Beyond it is another dimension: a dimension of sound, a dimension of sight, a dimension of mind. You’re moving into a land of both shadow and substance, of things and ideas. You’ve just crossed over into… the Twilight Zone.
— Rod Serling