z

Young Writers Society

Ever Ever (wrking title)

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:22 am
The Cheshire Cat says...

The following is a possible project I might work on after Blithe (my current story), if it's excepted well. I'm rather excited about this. It came to me randomly, as most of my ideas do. Please enjoy!
p.s sorry the 'tab' is all messed up. I'm not sure why that is. I pressed a weird button on my word document and cant figure out how to fix it XD

The statistics will tell you that 85% of teens who attempt suicide regret it after the fact. I was one of the 15% who didn’t. I knew perfectly well what I was doing. The news will tell you I was depressed after my boyfriend had dumped me earlier that week. Not true – I dumped him and he was a jerk. Other channels will say that it was due to a rare mental illness. That was a lie as well. I wasn’t sick. I wasn’t confused. I was just done.
I obviously didn’t do a very good job of offing myself, for here I sit, writing down these words. Much to my annoyance. Personally, I would much rather be on the beach. We had a storm last night and all sorts of things have been washed up onshore. You have to get there before the tourists do or you miss all the good stuff and are only left with soggy boots and pieces of driftwood too large to move. I owe it to Mr. B, though. I owe it to him to tell you the story. My story. Our story.
The day I tried to kill myself was pretty neutral. It was not stormy, nor sunny, and the blue sky was being hidden under a thick, colorless, blanket. It was windy. Of all the things I remember of that day, that detail is clearest. I remember because the wind was making mother’s wind-chime sing, a sound I had loved since childhood. When I was little I would crawl in her lap and she would tell me to listen to the story the wind-chime was telling. Speaking of my Mother, she was not home. Neither was Father, as it were. Neither is home that much, though I’m not complaining. I’m not one of those “heroines” in stories or movies who have had a pathetic childhood and moan about it all through the narritive. If it comes up, it comes up, and you should probably know why I had the chance to die.
I’d thought long and hard about how I was going to kill myself. It’s sort of terrifying how many ways there are out there. Let’s skip the corny montage and I’ll get right to the chase. I simply choked down a bunch of pills my Father had left over from his knee injury. Popped ‘em like Tic Tacs.
And let me tell ya, there are better ways to go.
After puking my guts out for a good fifteen minutes, our maid found me and freaked. She saw the empty bottle of pills then put two and two together. Apparently (I had blacked out by now. The nurse filled me in later), after she called 911 she called my mother who called my father who called my grandmother who called my aunts who text my seven uncles and ex-uncles who called most of our cousins who all rushed down to the hospital to moan and groan about what a tragedy this was. You’ll find rich people often like to do this.
After gaining consciousness, I immediately wished I had not. Mother threw herself over me, wailing like the soap opera addict she is. Father patted her on the back dramatically, gripping my hand and giving me a fatherly nod. I almost puked. My aunts and uncles all tut-tutted and my cousins all shook their heads. When my mother finally released me, she dabbed her eyes carefully, no doubt making sure that her make up had not smeared. The Family gathered around, looking at me almost joyfully, like children who had just stumbled upon the hidden cache of Christmas presents. I could already hear the sob stories They would cook up for their competition. Those who are wealthy are always in competition, even within The Family. Soon, after that little bout of drama, They did their duty and said all the things that were expected of them.
“How are you feeling, dear?”
“Oh, you look so pale!”
“Thank God you were found,”
“We’re going to get you some help, love,”
“Are you hungry?”
“Cold?”
“Do you have to piss?”
And of course, the real humdinger, “Why?”
“Yes, why?”
“Why?”
“Why?”
“Why?”
I did my duty and answered every question except for the last one. It was then that I lied and said I was tired. The Family was all too glad to leave, some with cell phones already in hand, thumbs flying as They text the latest gossip throughout their social network. I lay back with a sigh, glad to finally be free from Them. Wishing that I could be back in my room, I tried to ignore the odd smell that only hospitals seem to have.
Then he arrived.
At first I thought perhaps he had stumbled into the wrong room, for he looked quite frazzled. His three piece suit was unbuttoned and flyaway, his tie looking as though it had been done in a hurry. His hair was brown, a simple sort of brown, nothing too special. None of him was very special, as it were. He was the type of guy that producers would cast as ‘Generic Father’ or ‘Police Officer 1”. The lines on his face depicted that he must have been at least 35, probably older. In his hands he held a daffodil, wrapped in green cellophane and drooping as though it were the one in the hospital bed.
His eyes were nice though. When you looked into them, you couldn’t help but feel that you were looking at a particularly difficult jigsaw puzzle. They seemed to laugh at the world, laugh at the seriousness of it all. This man was the kind that made you believe that even after death his eyes would sparkle.
Even with all this, I got a nervous chill when he smiled at me and sat down, as if this was exactly where be belonged. I ran a hand through my plain brown hair self-consciously, for his eyes had not left me since he had entered. He was not looking at me in a perverted way, however, more like he was evaluating, testing my appearance to see if it divulged any secrets of what lay underneath.
“I think you have the wrong room, sir,” I finally said, after several long moments of us merely staring at each other. I was surprised by how gravely my voice was, but the man didn’t seem shaken. On the contrary, his face broke into a wide grin, as if his smile had caught on to the joke his eyes were telling.
“Marbella Serefina DeCleur,” He recited, twisting a gold ring on his finger.
“Ella,” I corrected automatically.
“Not Bella?” he asked casually, conversationally.
“Not since Twilight,” I snorted, only to be reminded that this was a complete stranger by my inner conscious. I recovered a second later to ask the more obvious question, “How do you know my name?” The man furrowed his brows, confused, though the smile never left his face.
“Ella, it’s all over the news,” he explained, leaning forward to rest his elbows on his knees, “It’s been three days.”
My family failed to mention that little bit of information, it would seem.
“So, what, you’re a reporter?” I asked, skeptism lacing my voice, wondering if I should buzz for a nurse. The strange man shrugged modestly.
“Of a sorts. I prefer the term adventurer. My name is Mr. B,” that grin was back again. It was so infectious I almost felt like grinning myself, “And I’ve got one very important question for you. You must answer it truthfully and willfully, for once you do, there’s no going back.”
I was slightly frightened by this man and his enthusiasm, but I reluctantly agreed. He stood and walked over to my bed, holding his hands up as if in surrender when I shied away. Not even today am I sure why, but I wasn’t afraid of Mr. B. Though, through my time with him I found that he had that effect on people. He leaned in, his face coming to stop only an inch from mine. So close, I could smell the peppermint on his breath.
“Would you like to join me for an adventure?” he asked, his voice hushed, yet somehow holding enough excitement he could have been shouting. I blinked, wondering if he was kidding. He had to be. Strangers don’t just go around picking up poor demented little kids for “adventures”, unless they were demented themselves. And this guy didn’t seem the ‘rapist’ type.
Any other day I would have refused. Any other day, I would have called him crazy, called the nurse, and gone on my merry way. On this day, however (it might have been that ‘effect’ Mr. B has on people,) I got the eerie feeling that if I declined, I would be missing out on something big. So with a thrill of adrenaline I could not explain, answered Mr. B truthfully and willfully.
“Yes, sir, I would.”
Ten years later I would look back on that day and realize he was right. Once I had answered, there would be no going back.
Last edited by The Cheshire Cat on Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:26 am, edited 4 times in total.
James Bond: Do you expect me to talk?
Goldfinger: No Mister Bond, I expect you to die!

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:46 am
Anijumper says...

This story is my kind of crazy. ;) (I mean this in a good way, I promise). I'd love to read more of it when you write it (because you must write more of it).

Just a few things:

through the book/movie/play.

If you leave this, you forgot the "i" in "movie." However, I usually feel that dashes mess with the flow of the writing, so maybe you should try "story" instead, which, if you think about it, could cover all three of those things.

and you should probably know why I had the chance to die.

Just a typo.

His wrinkles on his face said that he must have been at least 35, probably older.

You might want to replace the first "his" with "the." It just sounds a bit better. Quite honestly, I don't know any 35 year olds with wrinkles. You might want to up the age a little. And even then you might just want to go with something like "the lines on his face." Wrinkles are more for when you're 70+.

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue Sep 30, 2008 4:54 am
sudz_amigo says...

Heyy!!!

Good going there!

I just love how sardonically Ella looks down upon her family! The way you wrote it-just awesome!

They did their duty and said all the things that were expected of them.
“Are you hungry?”

“Cold?”

“Do you have to piss?”

“Yes, why?”

“Why?”

“Why?”

“Why?”

My favorite part of the story..too good these lines are ...I mean the punch in them...!

I wish I could write like you!!

:D

35 Reviews

Reviews: 35
Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:39 am
The Cheshire Cat says...

Anijumper -- Thanks for the feedback! I changed what you suggested, but instead of 'story' I did 'narritive', only because I already used the world 'story' around 10 words prior and I hate being repetitive X(
Yes, crazy is good :twisted: I like crazy

sudz_amigo - Thank you for the compliment! <3 I hope you enjoy the rest of this story as well!
James Bond: Do you expect me to talk?
Goldfinger: No Mister Bond, I expect you to die!

233 Reviews

Reviews: 233
Tue Sep 30, 2008 11:38 am
Chirantha says...

Ooh, I liked this story. It certainly was different from many other story I had read. I got one question though, are you yourself is in the story or another character?

The news will tell you I was depressed after my boyfriend had dumped me earlier that week.

There should be 'that' after 'tell you'

I obviously didn’t do a very good job of offing myself

'Offing'? What does it mean?

I remember because the wind was making mother’s wind-chime whistle

I dougt that a wind-chime will whistle. More likely, tinkle or shake.

After puking my guts out for a good 15 minutes, our maid found me and freaked.

The word 'puking' is slang actually. I know, it's okay, but I would rather like it as vomiting. And I5 MINUTES? Wow, a record. :wink:

after she called 911 she called my mother who called my father who called my grandmother who called my aunts who text my seven uncles and ex-uncles who called most of our cousins who all rushed down to the hospital to moan and groan about what a tragedy this was.

Sounds like a paper-chain-explotion. The word 'who' is also repetive here. It's a little annoying.

“How are you feeling, dear?”
“Oh, you look so pale!”
“Thank God you were found,”
“We’re going to get you some help, love,”
“Are you hungry?”
“Cold?”
“Do you have to piss?”
“Yes, why?”
“Why?”
“Why?”
“Why?”

:lol: This sounded so realistic. Mostly the the first, second, third and the seventh lines.

The lines on his face depicted that he must have been at least 35, probably older.

Lines? I doubt a 35 year old person would have lines. :wink:

Well, no more mistakes. I noticed one thing though. There isn't any description of you or the main character, (who is also you by the way) So, it was hard for me to imagine how you looked like. But I have the gift of imagining the view from another person's eyes.

So, a description of you would be better and I love to read the rest of it.

Good luck. :D
Warden: "If you want to lead, all you have to do is ask."
Alistair: "What? Lead? Me? No, no, no. No leading. Bad things happen when I lead. We get lost, people die, and the next thing you know I'm stranded somewhere without any pants."
- Dragon Age

Need a review?

203 Reviews

Reviews: 203
Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:37 pm
October Girl says...

haha nice, I liked the title of the story because it drew me in, I like how you started off it was very strong and someone said earlier that it reminds them of a book or movie and their right, in a good way. This was pretty awesome. Crits anytime, good luck and keep writing.

-Max
We're meant to be one
I know we are...
If I am the Sky
Then you are my star... ™

Reviews: 2
Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:23 am
Rory Carlisle says...

First of all, I really love the way this story writes. It's scattered, rambling, and choppy at times, but that's what makes it so interesting. That way works for this story quite well, and it brings the reader in right from the start.

With regard to all numbers, they should be written out. It just looks much better formally and it makes the flow of the sentence easier on the eyes.

I say keep up the good work. Even just the beginning of this story is very interesting, and I think that you have something great. It's an unusual topic as well, which just makes it all the more exciting to read about. =)

25 Reviews

Reviews: 25
Fri Oct 10, 2008 9:04 pm
ratdragoon says...

I really liked it. The way you've written, as well as the actually content you've written, help me understand the main character. I look forward to reading more. I didn't quite get the wind-chime bit, is it meant to show how she used to love her mother in her early childhood?

200 Reviews

Reviews: 200
Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:05 am
MidnightVampire says...

First of all, I would like to warn you ahead of time, that this really isn't the best critique, because I just came back to this site and I'm trying to get the hang of it again. *excuses, excuses, I know*

I love the way you wrote this story, it makes you feel like you know the MC way better than just saying "she hadn't regretted what she did next though..." plus, it has really good humor.
I think it would be good if you added a little bit more details though, because I really don't know how she looks at all.
Good job and Keep writing.
~MidnightVampire
I realized that I said I'd be gone for only two weeks...but I was gone for much longer.I hope to stay on this time. :)

Being a hero doesn't mean you're invincible. It just means that you're brave enough to stand up and do what's needed.
— Rick Riordan, The Mark of Athena