You never took care of me
You just watched me fall

I placed all my faith in you
I needed you here
God knows what I've got to do
To rid me of fear

“Life in Black” - Fight

Chapter 1: Changes

Sara sat at the kitchen table, banging her feet restlessly against the chair. Her mother was pacing the length of the kitchen, her ear glued to the phone. She was shouting at someone for something, but Sara didn’t know what she was saying. She had tuned her mother out a while ago and her attention was now on the book resting lightly on her lap. Sara’s hands flipped the pages with a subtle ferocity and her legs pounded lightly against the chair legs, currently the only two indicators of her agitation.

And yet, try as she might to prevent it, her mother’s voice still echoed in her ears. It was more difficult than she had imagined to block out the voice of a woman who, for better or worse, had been speaking to her since she was a baby. It wasn’t her fault that her ears were trained to automatically perk up whenever she heard that voice.

But she didn’t want to think about her mother right now, she needed to concentrate on her book and the exciting chase scene between Jim Hawkins and barbarian pirates. Unconsciously, Sara’s turned the next few pages more furiously, and found it harder to concentrate on her book. Stray thoughts kept running through her head…

Better them than me

Better her mother was yelling at whoever was on the phone than her. It wasn’t even as if Sara got yelled at often. No, her mother did not yell at her that often. At least, she never used to. But she did know that she didn’t like it when her mother yelled at her. It was a scary, lonely, feeling that automatically made Sara want to leap into her mother’s arms and feel them envelope her and hold her and never let her go.

But the occasional fights with her mother also awakened another feeling within her, one that was becoming familiar to Sara, one that her spirit and her mind automatically roared their approval of whenever they sensed it, even though her heart told her something else entirely.
The feeling was one of rebellion. It was frustration. It was resentment, and anger, and pride. Once completely alien to her, these feelings were now becoming familiar and comforting, and they were what stopped her from running to her mother’s arms these days, whenever they fought. Instead they pushed her away, up the stairs and to the safety of her room, where her mother was forced to resort to screaming at her from the other side of the door.

In the beginning, this new dynamic to their relationship had been strange for both of them. At first, Sara had been scared of retribution for her little hissy fits, but she soon realized that her mother was just as bemused and bewildered by this change in attitude as she was. She had no idea how to handle Sara, so she just screamed some more and then left. The next morning both of them acted like it had never happened. For her part, Sara went about normally, but her mother could never quite get over the power shift that had suddenly occurred and she had been distant and quiet around Sara ever since.

After that, Sara had been more careful around her mother and tried hard not to pick fights with her. Though she liked the feeling of power and freedom she felt whenever they fought, Sara was afraid that one of these times her mother would emotionally detach herself from Sara completely and for good, and that thought scared her more than anything else in the world.

All Sara knew consciously was that it was better for her mother to be screaming at someone on the phone, far away and unaccountable, than at her. So for the moment she was content. Or at least she thought she was, but she had been staring at the same paragraph for a long time without reading it and her pounding had taken on a more tribal-like intensity.

Her mother suddenly hung up the phone and rubbed her eyes. Sara looked up at her expectantly and for the first time, focused her thoughts on her mother. Her mother glanced up at her, noticed her for the first time, and a ghost of a smile flitted across her face, but it was soon replaced with the permanent frown that Sara was now accustomed to seeing on her mother’s worn features.

“What are you doing in here?” She asked Sara in an accusing voice.

What, I can’t be sitting in my own kitchen? Sara thought back angrily, but she didn’t say it. She just shrugged.

“Well go outside and play or something. Mommy needs some alone time,” she said, switching back into what Sara thought of as her mother’s baby voice.

Her mother used that voice whenever she was doing something selfish at Sara’s expense. In essence, it effectively justified her actions to Sara without ever letting her feel guilty about it. All she had to do was act like Sara was still a toddler, one who didn’t have enough emotional range to be hurt by her actions for any significant length of time, and then resolve to make up for it later, which she almost never did.

Her mother did this more and more often now, and her mood-swings were hard to keep up with. Some days she treated Sara as though she were three years old, and other days she yelled at Sara for not being more responsible, more adult-like. Their relationship was unpredictable and swaying constantly. One thing might be enough to set her mother off on her one day, and then on a completely different day the action could have no consequence.

Sara decided not to risk any fights at the moment. Instead, she suppressed the mutinous feeling bubbling up inside of her and got up from the table, opened the French doors and walked out onto the patio without another word. [/pre]

40 Reviews

Reviews: 40
Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:31 am
Shadow_Thief13 says...

Umm... you should probably shorten it a little, because that is waaay too long and gets on people nerves sometimes :?. Otherwise your story is captivating. :)
By the Gods... Please let inspiration strike me! (Just in a non-violent way O.o)

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:23 pm
Lady Kyra says...

The way you talked about the change in attitude was perfect. It describes perfectly how you might feel if a seemingly perfect relationship with a parent begins to be soured by fights.

And though the length might turn some people off, I like it. I have a thing about being able to read more. :D

I could not see any obvious grammar mistakes, so you get a yay for that. I think you are an extremely talented writer and I'll try to read more of your work.
"Many suffer from the incurable disease of writing, and it becomes chronic in their sick minds." —Juvenal (AD 60-130)

There's a wocket in my pocket...

71 Reviews

Reviews: 71
Mon Jan 28, 2008 6:16 pm
Kepe says...

It was not too long, rather average actually. In fact, I wanted to read more.

I am not particularly adept at grammar, but I did not notice anything. So 'yea' for no obvious mistakes!

Story itself: I liked it, I think you addressed in words what just about every teenage girl feels once they reach the teenage years. I felt frustrated along with Sara, and was reminded of some incidents with my own mom. I think that ultimately your story is good because you address something a lot of people can relate to

28 Reviews

Reviews: 28
Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:01 pm
Lucky_Author says...

Some things to think about:

"Better them than me (need period)

Better her mother was yelling at whoever was on the phone than her." (repeating yourself here)

"It wasn’t even as if Sara got yelled at often. No, her mother did not yell at her that often."
(Again, repeating. After you repeat allot, the story gets annoying for the reader and when I got to this repeat, I wanted to stop reading)

"It was a scary, lonely, feeling that automatically made Sara want to leap into her mother’s arms and feel them envelope her and hold her and never let her go. "
For this sentence:

1. I love the way you put this. The adjectives were great!
2. If the mother was yelling at her, why would she want to leap into her arms? This really doesn't make sense.

"It was frustration. It was resentment, and anger, and pride."
(put a comma after "frustration" instead of a period)

"Instead they pushed her away, up the stairs and to the safety of her room, where her mother was forced to resort to screaming at her from the other side of the door."
(Well put, I like this)

"All Sara knew consciously was that it was better for her mother to be screaming at someone on the phone, far away and unaccountable, than at her."
(You repeat this sentence in this chapter 3 times! But, I will let you get away with this one though. But try not to repeat to much)

"Mommy needs some alone time,"
(I think if the mom is mad, I don't think she would call herself "Mommy". Maybe change it back to "I" or something)

_____

Okay now just somethings left to tell you:

1. I think that maybe you should tell more about her life. Does she have a dad? And why does she live with her mom like that?

2. You repeated allot, like I stated a couple times.

Good things:

1. It was interesting and told nothing about anything, so I know nothing, and want to know what you are going to do with it. So in the long run = I want to read more.

You have a good story plot. Keep it up!
I hope this helped,

**A_L
God made us cousins because he knew our
parents couldn't handle us as sisters.

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Thu Mar 06, 2008 12:03 am
JFW1415 says...

First, I really enjoyed this piece. It correctly showed the ever-changing relationship between mother and daughter. I don't believe you need more background; loads of kids only have one parent, and it just makes her more general, more able to connect to more teens. Her father could be out of town, dead, upstairs, whatever. She applies to more of us when it's more vague.

Second, this piece is of average length. And you should NEVER attempt to lengthen/shorten a piece just because; only if you rambled or didn't include enough details. If you really think a piece is too long, just post it in two parts. :P

Now, nit-picky time! :P

You never were there for me
No never at all
You never took care of me
You just watched me fall

I placed all my faith in you
I needed you here
God knows what I've got to do
To rid me of fear

“Life in Black” - Fight

This is a very good addition, but it kind of confuses me. Why did you chose this one? Her mother used to be kind, so she was there for her before. You did say chapter one, though, so maybe this will be explained later on?

Also, I suggest putting the poem in the middle and the author to the right, though you may have done that and had it get messed up with YWS's odd formatting.

Sara sat at the kitchen table, banging her feet restlessly against the chair. Her mother was pacing the length of the kitchen, her ear glued to the phone. She was shouting at someone for something, but Sara didn’t know what she was saying.

Too many sentences in the same design; vary it up, especially since it's your opening paragraph.

Sara’s hands flipped the pages with a subtle ferocity and her legs pounded lightly against the chair legs

I suggest changing Sara to her here; Sara sounds a bit awkward. Also, you already told us she was kicking her legs in the first sentence. Maybe get rid of the kicking in the first sentence, that way you will get rid of the repeat and vary the beginning in one go. :P

Better them than me.

Better her mother was yelling at whoever was on the phone than her.

Thoughts=italics.

I’m not sure if this is annoying or works well. Since the ‘better them than me’ is slanted and thoughts, it might work, or it might not…just play around with it a bit, see what happens. :P

In the beginning, this new dynamic to their relationship had been strange for both of them. At first, Sara had been scared of retribution for her little hissy fits

Get rid of at first; you already established that it was 'in the beginning.'

Also, I love 'hissy fits;' it shows that she knows they're rather juvenile, but throws them anyway. :P Lot's of different interperations in that one phrase.

So for the moment she was content. Or at least

Sounds off. I suggest: 'So for the moment she was content, or at least she thought she was, but she had been...'

Sara looked up at her expectantly and for the first time, focused her thoughts on her mother. Her mother

Ah! Repeats! All repeats must die...

but it was soon replaced with the permanent frown that Sara was now accustomed to seeing on her mother’s worn features.

You just told us it wasn’t permanent! You don’t need this word, you already showed that it is normally there, it messes up the sentence.

Again, great job. I loved the emotions I got from the girl, and how you showed that she picked her battles, like all teens. Excellent work. :P

Oh, and can you be kind enough to PM me when/if you have the second chapter up? I'd love to read it.

~JFW1415

A big mountain of sugar is too much for one man. I can see now why God portions it out in those little packets.
— Homer Simpson