z

Young Writers Society

Snake's Eyes

34 Reviews

Reviews: 34
Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:10 am
VampX13 says...

At a palace in Alexandria, early that morning, a man dropped off a basket of figs. “For the Queen,” he commended, with a deep bow, before he left.

She hurries up the flights of stairs, in fear. Her breath catches in her throat. It is dark and she cries out. Her maids run after her, torches in hand, but she cannot stop to wait for them. There is no time. Tears stream down her face as she hurries, panting. She must get away from him. Her dark wig makes the heat unbearable and she tugs it off, flinging it down to the maids following her, her people.

Her people. She traded in her dignity for them and where has that lead her? This is not their fault, she disputes. It is mine, to have fallen for that brute of a man. The tears that fall from her eyes are those of anger, sorrow, regret and passion. Yes, there had always been passion.

She closes her eyes tight for a moment and stops.

His body heaved upon hers and he groaned in pleasure. She moved with him, their bodies’ rhythm completely in tune with one another’s. As her eyes bore into his, she knew: she hated and loved him.

He was a strong, powerful man. He would make a good leader. She smiled and, from between her teeth, hissed.

“Mistress, please hurry!” she hears from behind her. The two of them have caught up. She breathes deeply and continues to climb until she reaches the sought after landing.

“Down the hall, hurry!”

She does as requested. They only fear for her safety.

The wall’s beautiful mosaic seems to mock her panic-stricken look. The air is too sweet.

She looks down from the palace and sees no one below. Everyone is asleep and blissfully unaware: unaware of her danger. This is Alexandria, her home, and at one point, all she had known. She lets out a sigh, allowing herself to break the drowsy silence. She wants to scream, to wake everyone. The ground seems impossibly far down. She wants to jump. She looks out at the ocean, the slumbering ships in the harbor which rocked gently to and fro. She would like to plummet into that water, allow it to swallow her, and sink below the ships.

Her maids stare at her in fright; one of them comes toward her and wipes away the kohl that has run from the tears. “Mistress,” the other hisses.

“I know,” she replies and turns to her chamber’s door.

The two of them push it open. She hurries inside and watches as her maids’ barricade it. One begins to speak, “You are safe now.”

The other cuts into her speech, “You should forge—perhaps—a suicide note. Surely he would do it if you proposed to wait for him in the afterlife. He can’t be trusted while he lives. We must write him one. He’ll kill you, Mistress.”

It brings tears to the Queen’s eyes. Still, she nods in agreement.

Awake. Her lids slid back, the warm air rousing her. She saw, as the sunlight revealed him to her, his soft brown eyes gazing at her limp form on the bed. A smile casually smoothing his lips, but as she lazily returned it, he quickly turned away.

The children filtered into the room and began to pester him. “Leave your father alone,” she murmured, her eyes closing again.

“That’s all right,” his warm voice resonated. And it was then she knew she loved him.

She sucks in the air, it sweetness turning bitter in her mouth, as she reaches for the papyrus and cringes. “You will write it. I will sign it.”

The two imminently set to work, fussing over the contents.

She weeps on the bed, in the center of the room.

When it is finished she signs her name clearly and blindly. She is signing over his life. She looks away after it is done, not wishing to read the thing, not wishing to read her own falsified suicide note.

“It will do,” one of them says.

She sits up and looks around the room for comfort but only notices a swirl of color before she collapses back on the bed. “Bring my pipe,” she asks, closing her eyes and wiping at the kohl, smudging it further. She notices the weight of it as it is handed it to her. She inhales and feels calm wash over her. The room’s colors begin to grow dull, soft, and pleasant. The air allocates a soft breeze. With one hand, she ruffles her short hair.

His boat was before hers, protecting her. But as Octavius’* ships came into sight, she felt nervousness build within her.

“My pipe,” she demanded and waited until it was given to her. She closed her eyes and sucked on it a moment, holding in that singular, relaxing breath before releasing it and looking to the sky. Nothing to worry about, she reassured herself. But her puff of smoke wound its way into her sight.

On the clear, blue backdrop it transformed into a shape, drifting in the breezed to make a skull: an omen. A shudder darted down her spine. In a cold voice, she ordered to everyone that they must retreat. Her ship began to wind its way around, heading back to Alexandria. Behind her she could hear his voice calling after her. She did not know he would follow her; she had only hoped he would.

From below there is a noise. She sticks her head out of her chamber’s window. “What is it?”

His wail reaches her ears, “I’m dying. Let me see her body, once more. Let me say farewell.”

She lets out a loud cry, like a banshee. “Oh love, I am that body. But I am not yet dead. I have betrayed you twice over.”

“It does not matter. I am too close to death to do you any harm. I must come up, my love.”

She nods and looks around her room. She grabs the sheets from her bed as a maid helps her to knot them together and toss them down. She forces herself to listen as, with every strained pull toward her, death grunts closer to the man she loves. When he is up she turns away from the blood soaked sheet-rope and from the hopeful stars.

He collapses onto her bed and she collapses onto his breast, despite the strong smell of death, sweat, vomit and wine that clings to him. “Some wine,” he calls, his voice already drenched in the substance, and the maid bustles off. She wraps his limp, muscular arms around her, embracing his scent and his feverish heat.

She allows the heat to rise within her but orders the moon’s light be banished from her. As the window’s curtain is drawn, she embraces the darkness and its pervasive feeling. The maid returns with a cup of wine for him and a basket of figs. He gulps the wine down with a deep thirst and she reaches for a fig. She retrieves one. But from within the basket two yellow eyes glow in the darkness, staring at her.

She had agreed, she remembered, to meet this new Caesar, to hear his proposal. Octavius, he had called this Caesar. He had called him a coward of a man. She agreed with him, the man was different, certainly not a great ruler by nature and no Alexander.

“We have an understanding?” Octavius’ eyes were much too cold and empty and his voice was hollow.

She nodded and moved her lips, but no words came. Betrayal created a lump in her throat. I agree to play this man’s political pawn, while it is this man, who has caused the ruin of my husband, she thought, but she kept herself calm.

Like Octavius’ words, the man’s hand on her shoulder caused a sickness to rise within her, revealed only by a small shudder.

Gazing into those snake’s eyes, she realizes, “You were right, my love. It was I who betrayed you. If only I had protected you from me. If only I had not deserted you at the battle. If only you had been able to make me stronger. I played the queen but was the coward.”

And she knows those eyes belong to an asp*. “But in death I will become the Queen.” She grabs the asp’s long black form and squeezes. Its eyes blink. She feels its fangs pierce her wrist. She lets out a sigh and this time it raises the volume of the room.

Gasps, accompanied by a hum of voices, seems to surround her.

“Shush,” she commands. Antony’s body is cold but she pulls him closer. “The crown,” she croaks between gasps. And as Cleopatra’s crown is placed on her head, she takes her last breath.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
*Octavius: part of the Second Triumverate, which at this point in time was ruling Rome. Antony and Lepidus were also part of this Triumverate but were ruling other parts of the Roman Empire.
*an asp: a snake, more specifically (and also known as) an Egyptian Cobra.
Last edited by VampX13 on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:44 pm, edited 6 times in total.
"I'm an actress, not a beauty." -from the movie, Stage Beauty

497 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 497
Tue Feb 26, 2008 4:24 am
Teague says...

Hello! Have I introduced myself to you before? Can't remember. Anyway, hi! I'm Saint and I shall be your critiquer today. :D

Her dark wig made the heat unbearable and she tugged it off flinging it down to her the maid’s following her, her people.

There should be a comma after "tugged it off," and the apostrohe in "maids" is unnecessary. Nothing belongs to the maids in this sentence. Also, the "her people" is unnecessary as well. *reads on* Oh. Never mind. Well, at least use a semicolon.

*Random note* Thought should always be in italics.

She moved with him, their bodies’ rhythm completely in tune with each others.

This sentence is worded a bit oddly. I'd recommend rewriting it.

*Random note* Your sentence fluency could use some work -- a lot of your sentences are the same length or relatively the same length.

“Mistress,” the other hissed. “I know,” she replied and turned to her chamber’s door.

These both need to be their own paragraphs.

“I’m dieing.

Pet peeve. The present participle of die is dying.

And she knew those eyes belonged to an asp.

Belonged to a what?

“The crown,” were her last words and as Cleopatra’s crown was placed on her head, she took her last breath.

Break up that last sentence -- a period after "last words" and the deletion of "and" will do nicely.

Interesting story you have here. I have no huge complaints with your writing. It's well-written and moves at a likable pace. I like how you jump between past and present. Keeps things interesting.

I am assuming this is a oneshot, by the way?

Much love.

-Saint Razorblade
The Official YWS Pirate :pirate3:
"2-4-6-8! I like to delegate!" -Meshugenah
"Teague: Stomping on your dreams since 1992." -Sachiko
"So I'm looking at FLT and am reminded of a sandwich." -Jabber

922 Reviews

Reviews: 922
Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:24 am
GryphonFledgling says...

Well, Saint caught the crits I was going to point out, so I won't bother repeating.

This was great. Before you even mentioned names, I was thinking "Hey, this reminds me of Antony and Cleopatra..." and it turns out I was right! I feel smart.

The switches between scenes were interesting, but they also made it a little hard to follow at first.

The pipe was cool. I don't know why, but it was somehow appealing to have a woman smoking a pipe. You don't see that often and it was that quirk that really endeared me to the story. Plus your great writing and descriptions. You are quite handy with those.

Great job. *thumbs up*

~GryphongFledgling
I am reminded of the babe by you.

26 Reviews

Reviews: 26
Wed Feb 27, 2008 1:30 am
Kaliber says...

O......M......G

AWESOME!

freaking GREAT!

yea saint got like all of the mis-happens so won't bother.

Have you thought of turning this into a script and sending it to a Movie company?

i liked the use of real people such as Octavius. and history as a format.

Keep writing!
"Suffering produces endurance, and endurance produces character, and character produces hope."

34 Reviews

Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:27 am
VampX13 says...

Thanks, guys. Really appreciate it.

It is a oneshot. And was written for a writer's craft course I'm taking.

I've never thought of turning it into a script but my friend after reading it, joked that it could be a great melodramatic opera. Lol.

Thanks again!

582 Reviews

Reviews: 582
Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:14 am
KJ says...

I like the way you went back and forth like you did. Original. And it was a good plot. I was enraptured. I really have nothing critical to say about this, I guess. Razorblade got the gist of it all, so I have no more to say. Great writing.

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:57 pm
corey mcdermith says...

hey, this was a good interpretation of a well known story. i enjoyed teh way you put all the emotion into it. i also liked the way you kinda made it seem as if though she ahd not ploanned to kill herself. good job. keep it up.
It's the one, the only, the incredible COREY!!!!!
.......... this is where you clap.

Some day I will be famous, but until then I am not.

97 Reviews

Reviews: 97
Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:26 pm
summergrl13 says...

I love the story of Cleopatra! It's my favorite Egyptian tale and I adored learning about the Egyptians in sixth grade! Very good detailing and very elaborate. Nice job! 0(o.o)0
I will review for you! PM about it if you need one!

Come check out my new story at topic53543.html

438 Reviews

Reviews: 438
Wed Mar 05, 2008 11:12 pm
JFW1415 says...

Wow, I feel stupid. I had no idea this was about Cleopatra. (Not because you portrayed it poorly, because I don't know a thing about her. :P) I'm assuming that if I knew about her, it would explain why it sounded like she wasn't going to kill herself, and then did so anyway. Without any background knowledge, that part's a little confusing. :P

Overall: This was a very nice read. I loved how you showed her memories, what was causing her to do what she was doing (although, not knowing her history, I didn't understand all of it.) The emotions are all correct, and you had some very powerful sentences in there.

Okay, nit-picky time!

Bold=Grammar/spelling mistakes.
Italics=Suggestions.
Underlined=Suggested grammar alterations.

She hurries up the flights of stairs, in fear. Her breath catches in her throat. It is dark and she cries out.

You're relatively good with the use of short sentences throughout the story, but this part gets pretty boring. Since it's the beginning, this is a huge no-no. :P

Her maids run after her, torches in hand, but she cannot stop to wait for them.

Can not=Cannot, correct? Not positive, but that's what spell-check says, and that's what I've seen all my life.

Her dark wig makes the heat unbearable and she tugs it off, flinging it down to the maids following her, her people.

How does one throw 'down' to behind her? I think you mean flinging it back to the maids, since they are following her.

Her people.[s]: s[/s]She traded in her dignity for them and where has that lead her?

A period would sound better, I think.

She sniffles and continues to climb until she reaches the sought after landing.

This is probably just me, but she seems a bit out of character here. Sure, she is afraid and scared, but she doesn't seem like the type of person to sniffle. (And that's before I even knew who she was.)

She looks down from the palace and sees no one below. Everyone is asleep and blissfully unaware,[s]:[/s] unaware of her danger.

Strictly preference, I think. :P

This is Alexandria, her home.

I think it would sound better if you used more examples, like 'This is Alexandria, her home, her life, her haven.' (Or whatever it is to her.)

“Mistress,” the other hisses.

Aren't maids supposed to be respectful, especially to queens? If you are just making her sound quiet, I'd suggest a word that isn't so harsh.

The two of them push it open. She hurries inside and watches as her maids’ barricade it. One begins to speak, “You are safe now-

The other cuts into her speech, “You [s]sh[/s]could forge—perhaps—a suicide note. Surely he would do it if you proposed to wait for him in the afterlife. He can’t be trusted while he lives. We must write him one. He’ll kill you, Mistress.”

First, I don't think they'd interrupt each other. I think the first should stop talking, then the other begin. Also, a new paragraph starts when someone new speaks. If you want to keep it with them interrupting each other, though, I fixed your grammar.

In the second paragraph, I suggest could instead of should, again because of the respect thing. A maid doesn't tell the queen to do something; she suggests it, especially since she sounds so unsure when she adds 'perhaps.'

Awake: her lids slid back, the warm air rousing her.

This sounds like you are defining the word; I suggest a change, just don't know what kind. :P

She sucks in the sweet air as she reaches for the papyrus and cringes.[s],[/s] “You will write it. I will sign it.”

The 'sweet air' was good the first time, but using it again makes it lose its meaning.

Also, how do you cringe a sentence? I think you may have meant a period.

She sits up and looks around the room for comfort but only notices a swirl of color before she collapses back on the bed.

You just forgot the 's.'

His boat was before hers. [s]And a[/s]As Octavius’ ships came into sight, she felt nervousness build within her.

The 'and' really takes away from the sentence.

A shudder darted down her spine. [s]And i[/s]In cold voice, she ordered to everyone that they must retreat.

Same thing.

Behind her she could [s]here[/s]hear the commotion and his voice calling after her. She did not know he would follow her;[s],[/s] she had only hoped he would.

Spelling/grammar.

His cry reaches her ears, “I’m dying[/b][s]dieing[/s]. Let me see her body, once more. Let me say farewell.”

Someone else said this, but you forgot to edit it. Dying, not dieing.

She lets out a loud cry, like a banshee.

Not bad, but change the 'his cry reaches her ears' right before this; too repetative.

And then, gazing into those snake’s eyes, she realizes,

I'm sorry, your use of 'and' really bothers me. It's all right sometimes, but not in these cases. Here it sounds like you're continuing the flashback.

“Shush,” she commands. Antony’s body is cold but she pulls him closer. “The crown,” [s]is her last words[/s] she says in a raspy voice. And as Cleopatra’s crown is placed on her head, she takes her last breath.

You don't need last twice. We get it; she's dying. The first one sounds off, so I suggest something that shows how her voice is altered from the pain of the poison. Also, and does work well here, if you want it. :P

Just let me know if you have any questions! I think I would have enjoyed this even more if I knew about Cleopatra, but I still loved it. :P

~JFW1415

34 Reviews

Sun Mar 09, 2008 11:35 pm
VampX13 says...

Thanks again, everyone! I really apprecaite the critiques and comments. Keep them coming. Also I have just edited to make the alterations and corrections suggested that I agreed with (... which was basically all of them, actually).

Random avatar

Reviews: 22
Mon Mar 31, 2008 2:39 pm
corey mcdermith says...

i still think it is an all around awsome story. good job adn keep writing.
It's the one, the only, the incredible COREY!!!!!
.......... this is where you clap.

Some day I will be famous, but until then I am not.

Don't be pushed around by the fears in your mind. Be led by the dreams in your heart.
— Roy T. Bennett