z

Young Writers Society

The Final Musings of an Old General

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:06 pm
deleted6 says...

Okay, I'll begin I feel this is one of the best stories I've written other than CR of course. I'm hoping I could get it published in a booik of short stories and I'm not completly happy with name. I want you to be critical on it. Because I really love this story and would love if I could get it in a book of short stories. Thanks for anyone who reads this.

Rain crashed down against the window, followed by muffled rumblings and bright incandescent flashes. The old General scratched out his memoirs of times long forgotten. He was tired. So very tired.

Even though the war had been lost, he still proudly wore the uniform of his rank, a bright-buttoned blue jacket with plain brown trousers. The buttons were done only half way up, as if he’d once considered removing his uniform from his person. Then had given up the dishonourable disrobing in sadness.

His loyalty’s still stood with the country, though the war was over. To take it off him would destroy him. So he sat, fatigued in his chair, candle guttering, making little to no light. His brow creased in concentration.

He was hiding in a small two-floored building on the moors. The room he waited in was full of what was left of his treasures. Time was short, and he was so very, very weary. Day by day he knew his comrades were hunted down and executed.

Although he hadn't left the hovel since he'd surrendered and fled, the unspoken bond - the bond that was so much like family - that he shared with all of them was enough to tell him that that too were being killed. This was why he’d chosen to know them not by action or merit, but by their names. He had given them respect and in return they gave him utmost respect.

Another flash briefly illuminated the room, showing a rough unslept-in in bed, very hard looking, a mangy sheepskin partly covered the creaky wooden floorboards. Furthest away stood a large wardrobe, with one door open expectantly, as if waiting for something to be put in. Close to the bed was a wide chest of drawers on top was the General’s sword of his rank, a straight sabre with a blue tassel dangling from the pommel, short and deadly, cracked and chipped from an era of war.

Bending his head back down, he added more to the paper. His movements were quick, and every now and then he dipped the quill into the inkwell, sometimes letting the nib touch his tongue as he thought. He pushed his short unkempt brown hair, slightly greying, away from his dark green eyes. Emotions were overcoming his façade of strength.

Lifting the quill he stared at the parchment sighing with all out hopelessness. Holding his buckets of tears that threatened to fall at any moment.

While he wrote he remembered the surrender.

The decision had been made by the higher ups. Men, who wore ties, dressed in white shirts and had the military experience of a donkey. They’d only written the treaty to protect their position in power. Many would ask, why did his loyalty’s still stand with the country? His only reasons were he fought for the people not politicians.

When he had found out about surrender, for once in life he’d considered disobeying an order. Another look at his regiment, for opinions, showed the same story to the order. The men were all just sick and tired of it. Their eyes blood shot and shoulders slumped. It was then he surrendered not because of order, it was respect of his men. If only the General had known the enemy wanted more than conquest, they wanted death of everyone still loyal to the Government. That meant elimination of the whole army.

The time was shifting down the mental hourglass. He was just so close to completing his memoirs.

Through the rumbling of thunder he heard the loud banging of the front door, followed by low commanding shout, “Open up the door! The war is ended. Your fight is lost.” Ignoring the man, he continued to write.

“This is your last warning. Open up now!” When the General made no reply, an ear-splitting snap and crash told him the door had been breached.

Somehow he welcomed death now. The war was over. He’d done his duty and fought valiantly until surrender. To rejoin his brothers in arms appealed to him greatly. These thoughts he was having, were only interrupted by the pounding of boots rushing upstairs.

“Now we scour the building fully.”

“What if we don’t find him?” The second man replied fearfully.

Smiling to himself as he wrote more, he listened to their meandering conversation.

The other answered vehemently, “We search the house thoroughly!”

“How many rooms does this house contain?”

Not answering the colder one continued to search.

Even though death was near, he could still find joy in their hopeless search while in its grips

It wasn’t bothering him that his book would be burnt or ripped apart. Nothing would stop him finishing.

“Wait! Why haven’t we checked this door?” He spoke with an edge to already cold voice.

Brightly smiling the General could see the unsure guy squirming –not physically- he could see him mentally.

“It seemed like a cupboard… So I didn’t bother… che---ahhh! What you do that for?”

A short scuffle was heard with some impatient grunts then the cold spoke his voice threatening, “You ruddy fool! Search the room now!”

With another crack the door burst open. Ignoring them the General continued writing.

“Turn around now!”

Continuing his writing the General heard the stupid one, “Rejecting us will make it worse on you…”

Shrugging he put down the quill and shuffled around, “You’re mistaken. Give an old man time to finish his memories.”

Both looking around boredly the colder one replied, “You’re crimes are as follows: loyalty to x-Government; fleeing field of battle and avoiding capture. The punishment execution to be handled by Major Sorenson and Corporal Daniels.”

The General eyed both levelly, “You need to send two men to kill me? How on earth did you win the war?”

Growling livid the colder one muttered something, his long ponytail swishing over his full black uniform dangerously, “No—You know where the Ceremonial Sword and Shield are!”

Smirking sarcastically the General replied, “Even if I knew.” He stood up and walked towards them both, “I wouldn’t tell you.”

All a sudden Sorenson drew his sword, while Corporal Daniels readied his, “Cut the crap old man!”

Grinning the old General muttered, “My lips are sealed.” Then with deliberate ease, sat down, turning away from them both.

No, living person wouldn’t have been afraid of Sorenson then the expression so dark and deadly. There was complete silence for so long, shattered only when the General snuffed out the candle. This was followed by a resounding scream, “That’s it!”

Smiling gleefully the General closed his book lightly. Next minute he felt a sharp piercing sensation, then pain, pain and freedom, he smiled as life left him, the sword jutting out his chest.

Wasting no time Sorenson and Daniels vainly tore apart the room, emptying the drawers, gutting the cupboard and throwing everything on the floor.

Once they came to the desk, they shifted everything off, including the book, all this done with no light, except bright flashes of lightning.

Essentially it was a hopeless search with next to no light. They both muttered in irritation about it being too dark and walked out.

As the room was once again lit, showing a huge mess: drawers hanging half out; one of the doors of the wardrobe torn off; objects littering the floor and the bed messed up. Still the old General sat smiling now forever. The paperwork and ink well spilled under him. Close to him was the journal, open at the last few pages. There were words inscribed.

The Death of Justice is here…

----------------
Listening to: Intro5pect - Walls
via FoxyTunes
Last edited by deleted6 on Thu May 15, 2008 9:32 am, edited 8 times in total.
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

57 Reviews

Reviews: 57
Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:45 pm
Vincent says...

Really cool story! i enjoyed it alot!
and i really have to praise you more for writing a short story that had incredidible content.

Rain crashed down against the glass,

here i first thought he was driving a car. maybe using the word "Window" would be more apropriate?

Although he hadn’t left the hovel since he’d surrendered and fled

here you say he surrendered and fled, making him sound like a coward, but in the rest of the story he sounds brave etc. (and he is, i just think your wording here is wrong, just my opinion)

showing a rough unslept in bed

this confused me. what about "unslept-in" bed?

His only reasons were he fought for the people not politicians

sounds good, but i think there should be a comma after people, or something.

The men were all just sick and tired of

what is the "of" doing there? should it be "sick and tired" or was the punctuation before the incorrect?

and you keep telling us how there was little to no light and it started irritating me, bu thats just me.

amazing story!
i hope your story gets published in a book, for they would be true idiots if they dont accept this great story!

happy writing!

vince
"Don't look down on anyone, except if you are helping them up."

53 Reviews

Reviews: 53
Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:04 pm
Heidigirl666 says...

I thought this was pretty good, but it confused me a little at the end.

Have some suggestions too; punctuation is what mostly lets you down:
and bright incandescence flashes. The old General scratched out his memoirs of times long forgotten. He was tired. So very tired. [/quote]

Crashed sounds odd here, not sure why...
Rain crashed down against the glass, followed by muffled rumblings

Incandescent I think you mean. And I'd suggest a comma where the full stop is in bold.

Even though the war had been lost. He still proudly wore the uniform of his rank. A bright-buttoned blue jacket: with plain brown trousers.

Should be something like 'Even though the war had been lost, he still proudly wore the uniform of his rank, a bright buttoned blue jacket with plain brown trousers.' In other words, full stops should be commas, and you've used a colon incorrectly.

Again in the next two sentences the full stop in the middle should be a comma.

So to take it off him would destroy him. So he sat

Here, the repetition of 'so' doesn't sound right. Probably don't need the first 'so'.

making little to no light

Something like 'casting out little light' would be better.

Although he hadn’t left the hovel since he’d surrendered and fled. The unspoken bond he shared with all of them was enough to tell him they too were being killed -the bond so very like family-. This was he’d chosen to know them not by action or merit, but by their names. He had given them respect and in return they gave him utmost respect.

The punctuation is a bit all over the place in this section. It should be a comma after 'fled' and the bit in bold is unnecessary and only makes the sentence look clumsy; also use of '-' isn't right.

The punctuation in the next paragraph again is a bit all over the place. Both the semi-colon and two colons should be commas instead. Don't be afraid of the comma; commas are your friend. :wink:

Bending head back down, he added more to the paper. His movement’s quick, every now and then dipping the quill in the inkwell and sometimes letting the nib touch his tongue as he thought. Pushing his short unkempt brown hair -slightly greying- his eyes dark limpid pools of green like a grassy mountain tarn.

I'd restructure this as something like 'He bent his head back down as he added more to the paper. His movements were quick, and every now and then he the quill into the inkwell, sometimes letting the nib touch his tongue as he thought. He pushed his short unkempt brown hair, slightly greying, away from his dark eyes.'

Lifting the quill he stared at the parchment, sighing with all out hopelessness. Holding his buckets of tears that threatened to fall at any moment.

Comma again where the full stop is in the middle!!!! :wink:

The decision had been made by the higher ups. Men, who wore ties, dressed in white shirts and had the military experience of a donkey. They’d only written the treaty to protect their position in power. Many would ask, then why did his loyalty’s still stand with the country? His only reasons were he fought for the people not politicians.

Higher ups? Something like 'those higher up' might be better or 'those higher up in the ranks' and then comma again. Get rid of 'then' and make it 'His only reasons were that he fought for the people'.

When he had found out about surrender, for once in life he’d considered disobeying an order. Another look at his regiment, showed the same story continually. The men were all just sick and tired of. Their eyes blood shot and shoulders slumped. It was then he surrendered not because of order, it was respect of his men. If only the General had known the enemy wanted more than conquest, they wanted death of everyone still loyal to the Government. That meant elimination of the whole army.

The section in bold makes no sense. If you can make it make sense, then again you need a comma after that instead of a full stop. The comma in bold after 'conquest' should be a semi-colon.

There are quite a few other places where you've used a full stop when it should be a comma, but it'd make for a very long post. :D

Go over and check all your punctuation use. :wink: It's a good strong piece of writing, but it appears as if you have a very strong aversion to using commas, and in quite a few places it means the sentences don't make sense.

And if you're not sure where to use a semi-colon or colon, then don't use them. :wink:

With more careful punctuation and more care with sentence structure, it's going to be great! :D
Everywhere I go I'm asked if I think the university stifles writers. My opinion is that they don't stifle enough of them. There's many a bestseller that could have been prevented by a good teacher. ~Flannery O'Connor

Random avatar

Reviews: 665
Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:26 pm
deleted6 says...

About the misspelling of Incandescence, it's how you spell it in Britain. Thanks for through review. I really do wanna publish this and all reviews are much appreicated. :D
We get off to the rhythm of the trigger and destruction. Fallujah to New Orleans with impunity to kill. We are the hidden fist of the free market.
We are the ink, we are the quill.
[The Ink And The Quill (Be Afraid) - Anti-Flag]

266 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 266
Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:14 pm
backgroundbob says...

Nope Vernon, Heidi's right - "incandescence" is a noun, the adjective of which is "incandescent." So you would say, "followed by muffled rumblings and bright incandescent flashes." You would use the noun form of the word in a sentence such as, "the lightning flashed with brilliant incandescence."
The Oneday Cafe
though we do not speak, we are by no means silent.

252 Reviews

Reviews: 252
Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:51 am
Insomnia says...

Hey, Vern. You've created quite an interesting story here. Most of your problems lay with your punctuation and grammar, but they're important too, maybe even the most important. People who publish these sorts of things look for perfect writing.

His loyalty’s still stood with the country,

Should that be loyalties?

To take it off him would destroy him.

The first "him" is unnecessary.

Although he hadn’t left the hovel since he’d surrendered and fled, the unspoken bond he shared with all of them was enough to tell him, they too were being killed -the bond so very like family-.

Your sentence structure here is a little awkward. Perhaps: "Although he hadn't left the hovel since he'd surrendered and fled, the unspoken bond - the bond that was so much like family - that he shared with all of them was enough to tell him that that too were being killed.

Okay, that may not have been too good an example, but something sort of like that would improve the sentence. XD

This was he’d chosen to know them not by action or merit, but by their names.

That translates to: "This was he had chosen." You're missing a word somewhere. Maybe, "This was why he had chosen..."

Another flash briefly illuminated the room: showing a rough unslept-in in bed, very hard looking; a mangy sheepskin partly covered the creaky wooden floorboards. Furthest away stood a large wardrobe, with one door open expectantly, as if waiting for something to be put in. Close to the bed was a wide chest of drawers on top was the General’s sword of his rank: A straight sabre with a blue tassel dangling from the pommel; short and deadly; cracked and chipped from an era of war.

The punctuation in this paragraph's a little off, but I think another critiquer's pointed the problems out. :)

Bending head back down,

"Bending his head back down..."

and every now and then he the quill into the inkwell,

"...Every now and then he dipped the quill into the inkwell..."

Lifting the quill he stared at the parchment. Sighing with all out hopelessness.

That fits better as one sentence.

why did his loyalty’s still stand with the country?

*Loyalties

The time was shifting down the mental hourglass.

I love that line. :)

To rejoin his brother’s

*brothers

Smiling, to himself as he wrote more,

First comma there is unnecessary.

Not answering the one colder one continued to search.

Try not to repeat "one."

Brightly smiling the General could see the less sure guy squirming

Doesn't quite fit with your tone. Try, "the unsure man..."

How on earth did you’s win the war?”

Just saying "you" would work there.

And that's all of it, I believe. I love the character that you created with the General. He's believable as an exhausted old soldier, and the two enemy soldiers are sufficiently bumbling. XD

Good story, Vern, and good luck with getting it published. I think you've got a pretty good chance at it. :D

672 Reviews

Reviews: 672
Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:16 pm
Squall says...

Hey there Vernon. You asked and I'm here to deliver the verdict.

Rain crashed down against the window, followed by muffled rumblings and bright incandescent flashes. The old General scratched out his memoirs of times long forgotten. He was tired. So very tired.

Even though the war had been lost, he still proudly wore the uniform of his rank, a bright-buttoned blue jacket with plain brown trousers. The buttons were done only half way up, as if he’d once considered removing his uniform from his person. Then had given up the dishonorable disrobing in sadness.

A very good start with actions and descriptions establishing the mood and links to the character.

Another look at his regiment, for opinions, showed the same story to the order.

You don't need the commas here, it only slows the flow down.

You need a comma after "answering".

Brightly smiling the General could see the unsure guy squirming –not physically- he could see him mentally.

Comma after "smiling".

Holding his buckets of tears that threatened to fall at any moment.

Bucket of tears is a cliche.

The decision had been made by the higher ups. Men, who wore ties, dressed in white shirts and had the military experience of a donkey. They’d only written the treaty to protect their position in power. Many would ask, why did his loyalty’s still stand with the country? His only reasons were he fought for the people not politicians.

Good.

Continuing his writing, the General heard the stupid one, “Rejecting us will make it worse on you…”

Shrugging, he put down the quill and shuffled around, “You’re mistaken. Give an old man time to finish his memories.”

The punishment: Execution to be handled by Major Sorenson and Corporal Daniels.”

The General eyed both levelly, “You need to send two men to kill me? How on earth did you win the war?”

Haha

Grinning the old General muttered, “My lips are sealed.” Then with deliberate ease, sat down, turning away from them both.

Comma after "grinning". Then with deliberate ease, he sat down and turned away from them both.

No, living person wouldn’t have been afraid of Sorenson then the expression so dark and deadly.

No living person wouldn't have been afraid of Sorenson, for his expression was so dark and deadly.

Overall impressions:

This was well written and quite enjoyable to read. I like how your sentences riveted so smoothly and the actual concept behind this piece is pretty neat. You did a good job setting up the mood and characterizing the general, but ultimately, he could had been added more depth into. I think one thing you could had shown better was the reasons as to why he was smiling and willing to accept his death.

Dialogue is above ok, but it could had been thought out more. It's a good representation of the soliders and the general, but it's not really particularly interesting on the whole.

The constant use of "cold one" really detracts from this piece. You wouldn't have need to resort to such a nickname if you had shown him better.

The other major issue that I had was that you aren't really taking like any big risks. I mean the concept of the story is pretty solid, but it doesn't brim with originality and lacks the memorable impact to it. Some of the ideas were quite good, but it feels like I was reading another short war story with some of your influences and opinions. I think you could had thought about this more, and add more emphasis in your influences. Another aspect that is also linked with the issue is the skill level of some of the crafting of your sentences. Some of the sentences were crafted with a higher level of skill, but as a whole, it didn't reach the level for me to say that the piece was good. An example of a higher level sentence structure would be something like this:

Emotions were overcoming his facade of strength.

But overall, a solid and enjoyable read, even though it lacks some originality and creativity.
"To the edge of the universe and back. Endure and survive."

140 Reviews

Reviews: 140
Tue Apr 01, 2008 5:37 pm
Kalliope says...

Finally, finally here's your review. :)

To take it off him would destroy him.

I think it would sound better if you cut out the first 'him'. It would still be clear and there wouldn't be this repetition.

[...] - that he shared with all of them was enough to tell him that that too were being killed.

This is a little confusing. If I get you right what's also being killed is the bond you describe. Shouldn't it be 'was being killed' in that case? Maybe it's just me though.

He had given them respect and in return they gave him utmost respect.

In my ears this sounds a little weird. They repay respect with utmost respect...

Maybe find a synonym and replace the second respect?

Could, again, just be my crazy taste though.

[...], showing a rough unslept-in in bed, very hard looking, a mangy sheepskin partly covered the creaky wooden floorboards

This is a little confusing and akward to me. Try rewording the underlined part. Plus I'd start a new sentence after looking or replace the comma with a semi-colon. Just to make it clearer. Otherwise you kind of expect the next thing also to refer to the bed. (At least I did. :S)

Lifting the quill he stared at the parchment sighing with all out hopelessness. Holding his buckets of tears that threatened to fall at any moment.

The second setence seems a little much. Maybe mellow it a little?

His only reasons were he fought for the people not politicians.

I only see one reason here.

It was then he surrendered not because of order, it was respect of his men.

Did he surrender because of respect of his men or respect for his men?

Okay, I've finally gotten around to do the rest now :)

Through the rumbling of thunder he heard the loud banging of the front door, followed by a (?)low commanding shout, ...

To rejoin his brothers in arms appealed to him greatly.

Hmm... This sounded a little stiff to me, maybe put a bit more feeling into this part? He's getting ready for death after all.

These thoughts he was having, were only interrupted by the pounding of boots rushing upstairs.

'These thoughts he was having...' seems a bit long winded. Why not just say 'His thoughts...'?

He can't see them, can he?

Haha. I really love your General :D

This was followed by a resounding scream, “That’s it!”

I'd try dumping the 'This was followed by...' part.

I think that's all the nitpicks I have. Hopefully ths was some help to you. I must say I really, really enjoyed this :) Hope you suceed in getting it published!
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there. - Lewis Carol (1832-98 )

Got YWS?

42 Reviews

Reviews: 42
Sat Apr 12, 2008 3:55 pm
Sythe says...

Hey! I owe you a critique, so here I am!

Combine these sentences, please.

Their eyes blood shot and shoulders slumped.

Bolded words should be one word.

Wow. That was cool!

I really liked it! It was intense - gripped me from the beginning! So, uh... yeah. Just watch out for runon sentences, cause you sometimes do that.

Great job!

:Sythe:

What about the chicken, Jack?
— David Letterman