z

Young Writers Society

Where The Music Is

64 Reviews

Reviews: 64
Thu May 13, 2010 12:19 am
KAH says...

*this is my other story The Runner in short story form. I am not going on with the chapter book one so i shortened it and re-named it as what you are about to read Where The Music Is.*

I was running so fast you couldn’t even imagine. Aside from the deadly shrieks and cries of people, all I could hear were the heaves of my breath and the pit-pot of my shoes. I guess I was just so used to hearing death that I didn’t pay attention to it. The screams where getting louder, I was almost there. I pushed on harder, I had to get there in time. My breathing increased and my worn out gym shoes flew beneath me. Don’t trip Kurt, I told myself. Don’t blow it.
I was close enough to see smoke floating, reaching towards the sky. These peopled lived all the way on the outskirts of town. Almost there, the road went on for what seemed like forever. Dark Falls was a small town but it seems as big as the ocean when you are running to save peoples lives, the lives of people I don’t even know.
I finally reached the burning farm house. Everything reeked of smoke, I hated that smell but it was becoming an everyday thing for me. I ran inside, my job was to get people out, not to stop the fire. Quickly and swiftly I ran through what was left of the burning house. I could hear screams towards the back, that was a good sign. People where sill alive, I hadn’t completely failed.
Yet.
There where timbers and burning embers falling on me. But I didn’t even feel them, I was so used to being hurt and burned it didn’t even effect me. The smoke still did though; my eyes watered, and I was coughing hysterically. It was the smoke that killed you not the flames.
Crack! I looked up a beam was in mid air headed straight for me. I tried to dodge it, but it fell right on top of my left leg. This was the worst pain I had ever felt in my whole experience as a runner. I heard the bone crunch under the weight of the fallen beam. The excruciating pain started at my foot and slowly but painfully burned up my leg. With my right leg I kicked the beam off of me, and jumped up. My vision blackened as I tried to walk, I wobbled on my leg, and blinked furiously until I regained my vision. It was impossible to move my left leg.
There was a little girl rolled up in a ball, I bent down and quickly but gently picked her up. The burning flew up my leg as I straightened myself. The little girl was crying into my shoulder as I haled her further into the burning blazing barn. As I limped looking for a way out of the fiery maze, I knew that the little girl wasn’t the only one screaming.
Was I just being paranoid that I thought someone else was in here? The flames where closing in, It was getting hotter and with every move I made something cracked and broke. This place was going to come down any second. I was getting frantic looking, my hands where sweating, but not from the fire. From the feeling that I had failed. Most of the barn had turned to ash, and I couldn’t dare myself to look up at the condition of the roof, it would only make me more terrified. I tripped over a beam laying on the ground, how foolish of me to be so caught up in my thoughts to not notice my surroundings! My face smashed into a pile of ash and once again the burning feeling came, except this time creeping all the way up to my arm. I screamed out in pain as I struggled to keep hold of the girl.
But as I crouched ready to spring up quickly as to not suffer from much more pain I saw a body. Finally, under a half burned table, surprisingly not turned to rubble. She was bleeding so much that everything around her was covered in a rusty looking liquid. I had to get her out of here, but how? I had the other girl slung over my shoulder like a sack of potatoes, this one was much older and a lot heavier. The flames were creeping up behind me, closing in, ready to attack. My arm getting covered in blood, I pulled the her out as gently as I could in the short time I had. I could barley move more then an inch at a time, my muscle flexed and burned as I dragged her. I was already weak from searching and all of my energy had leaked out of me like water swirling down a drain. I could see normal day light and sky, that was the only thing that kept me going.
How much I treasured the nice cool air, thick in my lungs. The wind was blowing a nice breeze, the grass as green as ever. I saw the rolling hills I called home in the distance, inviting me calling me to them. But I knew my job wasn’t done.
I was exhausted and soot was smeared across my face as well as the rest of my body. I liked saving peoples lives, it felt good after wards. But this time it felt different. She was obviously going to die, I couldn’t save her. She looked so serene and out of pain. How was that possible in her condition?
“Ouch!” She moaned. She was still alive. Breathing. Talking. It was a miracle.
“Are you okay?” It was a dumb question, I knew that. I just wanted her to keep talking.
“I…” She stumbled across her words. “I’m not really sure.”
“Don’t worry, you will be,” I soothed her. Number two rule always make the survivors feel reassured.
“How are you so sure?” She croaked, her voice was filled with scratchy notes from the smoke. “How do you know I’m not just going to die?”
“Because,” I paused, thinking. Thinking about what I would like to know if I was going to die. “Because I’m looking over you.”
“Where am I going to go,” She questioned me. “After I die?”
“Where ever you want.”
“Really?”
“Sure, where do you want to go?”
“Somewhere where there’s music,” She replied in a sleepy voice.
“You’re not going there anytime soon though.”
“I’m already half way there. I want to go.” Now I really thought she was crazy. Who would want to die?
“You want to go? Why?”
But the only response I got was, “I can already hear the music.”
I sat up and looked at her, really looked at her. She was beautiful. About my age, fifteen, with elegant honey brown hair that feathered all the way down her back, and pale skin. Her eyes where closed, hands crossed across her chest. I didn't even know her but I feel devastated that she had to die like this. She could have had an amazing future. But it was ruined, because I wasn’t strong enough to save her in time. I couldn’t look at her so I turned to the smaller child.
She was staring at me. Electric blue eyes digging deep into me. “What’s wrong with her?” She demanded, sounding alarmed.
“She is in a better place.”
“Caroline? Caroline?” She yelled.
“Don’t worry, you’ll be okay.”
“I don’t care if I’m okay! I want Caroline to be okay! What did you do to her?”
“She’s where she wanted to be. She’s happy.”
“Where did you take her? Where did she go?”
“Caroline went to where the music is.”
“Caroline, Caroline.” She sobbed, finally accepting that she was dead.
“Shhhhhh,” I tried to sooth her.
“My only sister, dead. Dead and gone. Along with all the others.” She reached out toward her sister, reaching for something she couldn’t have.
“The others?”
“All of them. Tonight you can’t see the stars but they’re still there.”
“If I can’t see it I wont believe it.”
“The darkest night is filled with stars just how the sun casts its light on the coldest day.”
“I guess so.” I was thinking really hard. About where I wanted to go, when I died. About how things are always there even if you can’t see them.
“Love always shines even if you are stuck in a menacing black hole.”
Then I felt it. I felt love and death grab at me perfectly in sync. I fell back and hit the cool Earth, the last I would ever feel of it. If I died from the thick coating of ash in my throat or the fact that my leg practically wasn’t in tact with my body, didn’t matter. When I died I thought about everything I had done, I could have done. My black hair was frizzed up, green eyes closed. I wasn’t scared about where I was going, because I knew. I knew exactly where that place was.
Because I could already hear the music.
Last edited by KAH on Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:09 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Dreams don't always have to exist while the sun's down and your eyes are shut.

45 Reviews

Reviews: 45
Thu May 13, 2010 12:29 am
Earthfire713 says...

Hi KAH! I thought that this was a sad story, especially at the end.
Spoiler! :
The only thing that I did not understand was why did the MC die at the end? It just came out of the blue for me. Did he die from the smoke too?
Here are some nitpicks that I found:
“The darkest night is filled with stares just how the sun casts its light on the coldest day.”
I think you mean "stars", not "stares". I didn't really get the last half of the sentence, though.
“Love always shines even if you are stuck in a big black whole.”

"Hole" not "whole".
Those are just some of the major ones. Overall, I thought that this was a thought-provoking story about death. Keep writing! :smt001
~Earthfire

17 Reviews

Reviews: 17
Thu May 13, 2010 2:09 pm
NumberSeven says...

Hiya! Nice story :)

But, Cons first! :(
There were occasional grammar mistakes and misused/misplaced punctuation. Proofread and check spelling.
Crack! I looked up a beam was in mid air headed straight for me. I tried to dodge it, but it fell right on top of my left leg. This was the worst pain I had ever felt in my whole experience as a Runner. I heard the bone crunch under the weight of the fallen beam. The pain started at my foot and slowly but painfully burned up my leg. With my left leg I kicked the beam off of me, and jumped up. I wasn’t quite sure how I managed to get up. My vision blackened as I tried to walk. I wobbled on my leg, and blinked furiously until I regained my vision. It was impossible to move my right leg.

Logic error. Okay, here his left leg is the one that the beam fell on, but then you go on to say that he kicked it off with his left leg and then he couldn't move his right leg. Shouldn't it be the other way around?

The dialogue is awkward at times. People usually speak with contractions, and not in complete sentences. They say "I'm" instead of "I am" etc. Lack of contractions makes it seem too formal.

Pros! :)
You handled the first person perspective for this scenario quite well.
Your style of writing moved the passing of time faster or slower when it needed to be faster or slower.
There was no heavy description or overdescription (there is a difference :P Heavy is being too verbose (wordy) in relation to the setting and overdescription is just saying too much about everything)

Yay! Keep it up!
~ Come to the dark side. We have cookies! ~
~ Ha, we're the dark side. Why are you surprised we lied about the cookies? ~

66 Reviews

Reviews: 66
Fri May 14, 2010 1:51 am
SisterItaly says...

omg i cried when i read this, that is very deep and you gave a goods sence of emotion. I showed my friends, they all agree, we need another box of tissues. You have very good skills. Dont stop writing!
"Even in the end --even in death-- I can't hate you." - Neri Hereford's last words.

"The Gods demand blood, for they... do not bleed." Jaska.

The Book.

180 Reviews

Reviews: 180
Fri May 14, 2010 4:40 am
pudin.junidf says...

Hey KAH!!
I'll review your story today!

Well, first of all, this is a really nice story, very emotional. I liked it a lot.It was really nice how you portrayed your MC's feelings and doubts at first but to be honest, you sort of lost it at the end; it was sort of confusing what was happening to your MC at the end.

As for the developing of the story, it was nice, the pace was just the right one for us to really understand what was going on. But... there were places in which you lacked description and it was needed.

So, on to the nitpicks.
don’t trip Kurt. I told myself. Don’t blow it.

You should put this in italics since these are her thoughts I think.

Dark Falls was a small town but it seems as big as the ocean

This part is really good but I would just like to know a little more about Dark Falls, a little more than just telling that it is a small town.

and I was coughing like crazy

I do not think that coughing like crazy quite fits the situation and description. I think you should reconsider the word usage in here and look for a more appropriate word. I mean, is not entirely wrong, but it could be better described.

With my right leg I kicked the beam off of me, and jumped up. I wasn’t quite sure how I managed to get up. My vision blackened as I tried to walk. I wobbled on my leg, and blinked furiously until I regained my vision. It was impossible to move my left leg.

I wonder, do you realize how many short, really short sentences do you have and how many times you break a sentence when it's not needed? Because this whole thing could be made up in two to three sentences at most if you arrange them properly. The last three sentences say exactly the same thing, yet, they are all separated. And you keep doing this all throughout the story.

There was a little girl rolled up in a ball. I bent down and quickly but gently picked her up. The burning flew up my leg as I straightened myself. The little girl was crying into my shoulder as I haled her further into the burning blazing barn.

Here is another example of what I was telling you before, you break the sentences. Count all of the simple sentences that are there. The last sentence of the paragraph was the only one large enough to say something so I left it alone. But look at all of this sentences.
Another thing it would be nice if you explained to us how did you find the girl, besides obviously, rolled in a ball.

I was getting frantic looking, my hands where sweating, but not from the fire. From the feeling that I had failed. Searching for something that I couldn’t find

You didn,t have to break the sentences here, you could have placed it all together and it would have still made sense. Instead of the two periods you could have placed commas.

I don’t think I could with my leg anyway

You have to remember that if you are writing in past tense, all your verbs should also be in past tense for if there a change in the tense, it gets confusing and makes no sense at all.

My arm getting covered in blood I pulled the her out as gently as I could in the short time I had. I could barley move more then an inch at a time. I could see normal day light and sky. That was the only thing that kept me going.

Ok, first of all, I don't understand your first sentence, try rephrasing it because it makes no sense. Second is than not then, typo there. Third, you keep breaking the sentences where you shouldn`t, as example you have the two last sentences that for some reason you decided to break.

“Somewhere where there’s music.” She replied in a sleepy voice.

It would be nice if you added a little bit of your MC's reaction here, how did she reacted when the girl told her that?

Overall
The story itself was beautiful, really beautiful. Your main issue is your sentence structure because you keeping breaking sentences and putting periods where it shouldn't. There were a few spelling mistakes but that's why the Check Spelling option is here for. Your dialogue was ok but it lacked emotion and the dialogue with the little girl was awkward. This dialogue with the little girl could be way better but as the other one, it lacked feeling. As for the phrase, I loved the concept but you have to give it more meaning, The place where the music is, try giving more meaning to it, how is like? why is it so special?

So that's all and I hope I helped.

XOXO
Pudin
Les sanglots longs
Des violons
De l'autonne
Blessent mon coeur
D'une langueur
Monotone.

Verlaine

Reviews: 4
Sun May 30, 2010 2:13 pm
BlanchKe says...

Hi... First of all I really like your story, but it lacks somethings and those somethings are descriptions.

I was running so fast you couldn’t even imagine.

Never write "you couldn't have even imagine.". I can imagine. Seriously, as a story everything is imaginable so that expression is useless and a cliche.
Try describing what the character feels as he runs.

"My legs arched, and the burning in the muscles made me aware of the energy I was consuming as I ran as fast as I can. I had never ran that fast in my life."

- Also it`s a good idea to tell something about the feelings that he gets as he runs. The adrenaline rush and so on.

The screams where getting louder, I was almost there.

- Change here a bit. "The screams where getting louder and louder as I got closer. I was almost there."

I was close enough to see smoke floating, reaching towards the sky

- More description needed. "...reaching towards the sky like a terrifying creature that seemed to wait the right moment to collapse over the town."

Everything reeked of smoke, I hated that smell but it was becoming an everyday thing for me.

- That`s it? He hated the smell? Or the feeling that he got in his lungs, the choking sensation that made his breath whistle, trying to catch more oxygen, the annoying cough?

I could hear screams toward the back, that was a good sign. People where sill alive. I hadn’t completely failed.

Yet.

There where timbers and burning embers falling on me. But I didn’t even feel them, I was so used to being hurt and burned it didn’t even effect me. The smoke still did though, my eyes watered, and I was coughing hysterically. It was the smoke that killed you not the flames.

- Alright. He could use the screams to guide himself through the thick smoke. Not that he can see much...

From the feeling that I had failed.

- And what is that feeling? "From the feeling that I had failed. My heart started beating more faster pounding against my rib cage revolting all of my emotions with the constant and rhythmic hits. I started to lose my focus as the fear of failure struck my thoughts."

“Ouch!” She moaned. She was still alive. Breathing. Talking. It was like a miracle.

- Before you said this, you wrote that she looked so out of pain. Try linking them. Say that he touched her trying to get her up and she said "Ouch!", pain making her react.

“Are you okay?”

- Hmmm... Kinda reminds me of those "low-cost" movies when the guy is bleeding, almost dead and trying to stay alive and the blond haired girl comes and asks "Are you okay?". Try making it like "Are you wounded badly?" or "Can you walk?"

At the dialogue it might be an idea to put some character reactions and some description of what they look, what they feel, and so on.

Overall this is a good story. Has potential... :)) Btw. My criticism might look harsh, but just trying to help.

Dante

Random avatar

Reviews: 17
Mon May 31, 2010 9:01 pm
nenc123 says...

I think it's great. Good structure and style. You can really get into it. I especially like the ending where the main character dies.
"Because I could already hear the music" is such an emotional last sentence to give you something to think about.
See you soon :D
Neven... wonder how you pronounce it

108 Reviews

Reviews: 108
Thu Jun 03, 2010 12:28 am
Shepherd says...

Oh I really like this. You have obviously put a lot of effort into this, and I think the introduction and the conclusion are especially compelling. I think everyone else has already pointed out most of your grammatical errors, and there are certainly a few (brief) points where I think you could use a little smoothing out. But this is very clearly written. Well done!
Paramedic
Writer
Crazy
Nije vas zahvatila druga kušnja osim ljudske. Ta vjeran je Bog: neæe pustiti da budete kušani preko svojih sila, nego æe s kušnjom dati i ishod da možete izdržati.

22 Reviews

Reviews: 22
Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:23 am
View Likes
penguinduan1 says...

I really liked the story. It was truly beautiful. Keep on writing! (Sorry, I guess I don't have much to say!)
ALL HAIL ATHENA!

"If you are mad at someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away from them and you have their shoes." -Anonymous (I forgot)

553 Reviews

Reviews: 553
Sun Aug 08, 2010 7:24 am
MiaParamore says...

Hey KAH! Can I give you some sweet nickname? Huh? :wink:
Anyways, here to review on request. :)

Although you do have very good reviews already, but I would try to say something different.

Starting:
I was running so fast you couldn’t even imagine.

Surely this does make me ask, hey why is she running, but on the other side, this is so boring and plain for a start. Don't you think you're telling here, rather than telling?
Telling:
She slammed the door shut.She was tired.
Showing:
The door slammed with a thud as she entered the room. She headed straight for the recliner, stretching her legs and relaxing.
In this particular situation you could use this:(This is just an example): My feet rubbed against the (whatever type of the floor/surface it is) ground but I still ran breathlessly.
Sorry if my example is of mot much help. I just wanted to show that how you can get gripping starts.

Don’t trip, Kurt.
When you refer to someone with their name directly, even to yourself, you put a comma like I did.

I could hear screams towards the back, that was a good sign.

People where sill alive, I hadn’t completely failed.
Where should 'were', and sill should be 'still'. Typo, dude!

The smoke still did though; my eyes watered, and I was coughing hysterically.

My face smashed into a pile of ash and once again the burning feeling came, except this time creeping all the way up to my arm.
Using 'ing' simultaneously doesn't look cool.

I was already weak from searching and all of my energy had leaked out of me like water swirling down a drain.
I liked the comparison with the water. :)

How much I treasured the nice cool air, thick in my lungs.
What exactly did you mean by this, huh?

But I knew my job wasn’t done yet.

“Don’t worry, you will be,” I soothed her.

Who would she want to die?

I don't(didn't) even know her but I feel devastated that she had to die like this.
Baby, it's past tense!

She could have had an amazing future.
How does the MC know that she was going to have a good future? You should be more open in this, or the readers would think that you are making up things and even the MC is.

Because I could already hear the music.
I loved the ending.

So hey KAH again. Many people did say that you had a good story here, and I would agree with them on that, but you this piece requires a lot of work, still.

First of all, this had many typos, which when you read through you would get easily. Also, you use the word 'where' for were at many places. First time I saw it, I though it's an error or a typo, but then it was again there, so I made it up a point to tell it to you. Here are two sentences with the difference.
1. Where did you go last night?
2. We all were at Lucy's house.

Secondly, I really felt that you were trying to describe so much at one place, while at other places you left the things undescribed. That's not a very major issue, and if you read through, you can get into this.

Why was MC, being a fifteen-year old taking this all as her responsibility to save all the people out there caught in the fire? I just found this stupid, and if you went to tell us, then it could have been okay. Was she asked by the Police to help them? Even that would sound ridiculous. I just found this a bit of weird.

You have a big issue with your commas and also you mis-phrase some sentences. So, just read everything aloud, and then put the commas at an appropriate place.

Other than this, I loved this story, I liked some imageries you used here and also some of your descriptions. You need to read this again and again for yourself, and then try to find more errors, as I left some even though there were more.

Keep Writing.
See ya,
~Shubhi
Last edited by MiaParamore on Wed Aug 11, 2010 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Next time you point a finger
I might have to bend it back
Or break it, break it off
Next time you point a finger
I'll point you to the mirror"

— Paramore

19 Reviews

Reviews: 19
Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:37 pm
CSheperd says...

I thought it was a decent story. You changed things up at some points though, make which portion of the MC that was injured more clearer. Another thing i didn't understand was why someone so young was tasked with running into a burning building to save people, you should either mature your characters a bit, or putting a little bit more context behind the thought. The ending would've been a little better if the reader knew the seriousness of the MCs injuries too. One moment he seems a little banged up and then he's dead.

205 Reviews

Reviews: 205
Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:36 pm
Kagi says...

I haven't read a better story on the whole of the YWS website. I'm new here so I haven't read many but my gosh, this is AMAZZZZINNNGGG!! ;)
I agree with all the little nit picks the others have made, but I love your idea.
You have a great talent and I know you will go far. I hope your books get published one day so everyone will read them.
I have nothing else to say because all the little teeny bad points have been made by other writers so..
Keep writing..
Kakagirl X X
Got YWS?

If, when you mean to type yes you type yws, you know you belong. :P

64 Reviews

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:18 am
View Likes
KAH says...

Thanks so much kakagirl! It means a lot to me that you like it so much! I hope my books get published one day too ;)!
Oh and Csheperd It was because It was going to be a longer story and when you turn 15 you get assigned a job and he got picked to be a Runner. But I guess since I changed it I should fix that! XD

- KAH

64 Reviews

Wed Aug 11, 2010 5:20 am
KAH says...

Thanks so much kakagirl! It means a lot to me that you like it so much! I hope my books get published one day too ;)!
Oh and Csheperd It was because It was going to be a longer story and when you turn 15 you get assigned a job and he got picked to be a Runner. But I guess since I changed it I should fix that! XD

- KAH

I was never insane except upon occasions when my heart was touched.
— Edgar Allan Poe