z

Young Writers Society

Collection for Cal

43 Reviews

Reviews: 43
Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:28 pm
Medusa says...

Time period: 1940s, pre-Hiroshima Japan.

[001, Aim]
the aim was to miss.

The cherry tree stood, unabashed, gazing placidly out along the little stream and rook. It was blossoming season, extended branches draped in soft crimson flowers. A tsuru bird chirped somewhere in the far off distance, as a boy approached the tree, shyly cautious. Bark yearned for skin, sap for blood. The tree waved gently in the wind, and the child smiled under a trail of dark hair.

The wind was urging the tree to action, but he merely sidled timidly in response. The child, a small oval-eyed little thing, ran smooth palms against rough wood. Ants stomped on leaves, crickets on twigs. The boy smiled, toothily. He pulled a little bow and arrow from his back, where it had been hiding. In his milky white complexion, the tree saw innocence, pure and beautifully defined.

Wind groaned in boredom. The boy was so naïve. He went away in search of other children to play with, but old cherry tree stayed put, admiring the child’s graceful yet youthfully awkward figure. The boy tried to straddle the arrow against the taut string of the bow, but his little fingers were soon caught and chafed in the twine. The tree blew a breeze to chill the child’s burning fingertips, and whimpering subsided to beams.

Bow set in place, arrow held back. The cherry tree grinned woodenly as the arrow went off somewhere beyond the stream. The child was victorious in his defeat, all smiles. He seemed not to notice the arrow gone astray. The aim was to miss, in any case. A voice twisted its way into the play area.

“Mizo-chan!” sang a mother sweetly. “Mizo-chan, where have you gone, my little sweet?”

The boy looked up, the tree forgotten in its entirety. He ran off, hands outstretched, and a small woman in a beautifully dressed kimono, holding a pearl hair-clip in one hand and her satin hand-bag in the other, gathered him up in her arms. The tree sighed and went back to gazing at the little stream, his best friend.

[008, breakfast]
a businessman’s pleasure
The storefront of the Nagasaki bakery tells stories. The glass is a dustpan of secrets, of atrocities, of love, of life. A sign speaks mornings unending, nights of rush and wait, rush and wait. A door, chipped but colossal, the store-owner’s twin. They share souls, this door and that man, they share regrets.

The bakery is empty; the bread is warm, the customers awakening. The baker is awakening, too, and the black coffee burns his tongue as he drags out the dough, drags out the pans. He wonders about his wife, his two children; he opens a newspaper, folding it to the center page. He reads a headline, fills half a crossword puzzle, and folds another page, revealing an advertisement for a bicycle.

A man approaches the storefront. The man is dressed to impress, in his clean-cut suit, his western top hat, a tie pressed and still. He is a businessman, holding a briefcase, a stereotype and a sore thumb all at once. He hesitates by the door, seems to re-read the name: Kato’s Baked Goods. He chooses his destinies carefully, and enters.

The baker is startled. Six o’clock has just hit the horizon in a brilliant display of sapphire and gold. It is early for businessmen with briefcases. He greets the man with dignity, and they exchange pleasantries.

“Breakfast,” the businessman declares to no one in particular.

He exchanges some change and receives a fresh loaf wrapped in crisp brown paper. Thanking the baker, he emerges from the store. The day is beginning and his mouth is warm. What else could one ask for?

And the businessman leaves the baker to his thoughts.

[009, Broken]
the broken kite

Autumn, the most beautiful season in Hokkaido. Orange light litters the turning leaves, infiltrating fallen twigs. Cool breezes whisper disturbances up and now alleyways, as children come and go on blue faded bicycles, ringing their bells softly. On sunny days, warmth penetrates the dirt roads and belly dances off petals and thorns. The air is a scent of its own, beautifully encompassed in fragrances, a hint of a season to come, a touch of the past now to be forgotten.

The kites line the skies, the boys line the fields. The grass is greener than green and fatherly men keep their hands in their pockets, while their women hold bamboo umbrellas, shielding thin faces from the rays of sunlight. The kites fly high. Bright blue, white, yellow, red. The kites skim along the skyline, each one nosing its way forward, tugging gently and scream silent pleas of freedom.

The ropes are lost simultaneously, as a small ‘40s jet plane drags attention away from them. A boy whimpers as his string slips past his clumsy fingers and whirls happily off to find a tree to nestle in. A few minutes later, the child appears with his trophy, smashed and awkwardly stumbling. It will not fly.

A father is calling to his child, with a stern but loving expression plastered on his business-like face. Son, come along now. Let it go, we must have supper.

But father! My kite is broken!

Son...

...and the boy surrenders. Afterall, he will make another kite, another autumn, another freshly painted day. He will be older yet, he will be wiser. Too wise for kite flying and picnicking? He thinks not.

But truth beholds powerful magic, and as young boys often do, this boy grows and grows. One day he is his father, one hand on his forehead, shielding light from his eyes. His child stands two feet in front, his wife two feet behind. He wonders why he grew up so quickly.

He never did return to go flying.
Alice: If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

Random avatar

Reviews: 4
Sat May 03, 2008 2:50 am
lsilvernail says...

Wow, I really enjoyed this! I have a fascination with all things Japanese, so your story caught my eye. I see very little that I myself would correct. I know that your characters speak very little in this story, but I would still put quotations around their dialogue. Also, before the reader even begins reading the story, they are informed that the setting is the 1940's in pre-Hiroshima Japan. I therefore think that it's unnecessary to describe the plane in this story as a '40's jet plane; jet plane would be good enough, but you could also add a different adjective other than '40's. That's really all that I can see...keep writing stuff like this!
"What are you going to do, let out the dogs? Or the bees? Or the dogs with bees in their mouths, so when the bark they shoot bees at you?"
- Homer Simpson

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Sun May 11, 2008 6:04 pm
scasha says...

The cherry tree stood, unabashed, gazing placidly out along the little stream and rook.
-- cherry trees don't really gaze instead say the cherry tree stood, unabashed overlooking the little stream.
It was blossoming season, extended branches draped in soft crimson flowers.
-- awkward. I recommend saying Blossoming season had arrived, its extended branches draped in soft crimson flowers.
Bark yearned for skin, sap for blood.
-- this sentnece feels very out of place
The tree waved gently in the wind, and the child smiled under a trail of dark hair.
-- viel instead of trail. trail doesn't really work

The wind was urging the tree to action, but he merely sidled timidly in response.
-- are you refuring to the tree as a he or the wind or the child? Confusing.
The child, a small oval-eyed little thing, ran smooth palms against rough wood.
The child, a small oval-eyed thing, ran his smooth palms against the rough wood.
Ants stomped on leaves, crickets on twigs.
-- this feels out of place again The boy smiled, toothily. He pulled a little bow and arrow from his back, where it had been hiding. In his milky white complexion, the tree saw innocence, pure and beautifully defined.
Wind groaned in boredom
. Instead say The wind.
The boy was so naïve. He went away in search of other children to play with, but old cherry tree stayed put, admiring the child’s graceful yet youthfully awkward figure.
-- I'm confused if the he is the wind or if the he is the boy. Be more specific.
The boy tried to straddle the arrow against the taut string of the bow, but his little fingers were soon caught and chafed in the twine.
-- this feels out of place. Where'd the arrow come from?
The tree blew a breeze to chill the child’s burning fingertips, and whimpering subsided to beams.
-- take out "to beams"
Bow set in place, arrow held back.
The bow was set in place, the arrow held back.
The child was victorious in his defeat, all smiles. He seemed not to notice the arrow gone astray.
-- the child was victorious but defeated? seems contradictory. Reword.

He ran off, hands outstretched, and a small woman in a beautifully dressed kimono, holding a pearl hair-clip in one hand and her satin hand-bag in the other, gathered him up in her arms.
-- too much is going on in this sentence. Try to split it up in different ideas/ sentences
The storefront of the Nagasaki bakery tells stories.
-- although the words stories and storefront aren't directly related it feels as though you are repeating the word store. Maybe insted say the countertop.
A sign speaks mornings unending, nights of rush and wait, rush and wait.
-- should be speaks of unending mornings and bustling nights.
A door, chipped but colossal, the store-owner’s twin.
-- A door, chipped but colossal is the store-owner's twin.
They share souls, this door and that man, they share regrets.
period between man and they.

The baker is awakening, too, and the black coffee burns his tongue as he drags out the dough, drags out the pans. He wonders about his wife, his two children; he opens a newspaper, folding it to the center page. He reads a headline, fills half a crossword puzzle, and folds another page, revealing an advertisement for a bicycle.
-- too much telling. Show us what is going on.
A man approaches the storefront. The man is dressed to impress, in his clean-cut suit, his western top hat, a tie pressed and still.
-- A man approaches the storefront, dressed in a clean cut suit and top hat.
The baker is startled. Six o’clock has just hit the horizon in a brilliant display of sapphire and gold. It is early for businessmen with briefcases. He greets the man with dignity, and they exchange pleasantries.
-- show us the dialogue. Show us how they act towards one another.
He exchanges some change and receives a fresh loaf wrapped in crisp brown paper.
-- He hands some change to the baker in exchange for a fresh loaf wrapped in brown paper.
And the businessman leaves the baker to his thoughts.
-- take this out
Autumn, the most beautiful season in Hokkaido. Orange light litters the turning leaves, infiltrating fallen twigs. Cool breezes whisper disturbances up and now alleyways, as children come and go on blue faded bicycles, ringing their bells softly. On sunny days, warmth penetrates the dirt roads and belly dances off petals and thorns. The air is a scent of its own, beautifully encompassed in fragrances, a hint of a season to come, a touch of the past now to be forgotten.
-- I love your descriptions!!

Great story!! I really liked it :-). Your descriptions are mindblowing! Just a few suggestions to make it even better:
1) Be more specific about who is speaking or who you are talking about. I got confused in the beginning between the tree, the wind, and the boy. Were you talking about all of them or just one. The pronouns confused me so be more clear.
2) Watch your sentence fragments. Sometimes fragments are awesome because they add to your story. But here you use them too much so there are a lot of incomplete thoughts floating around in your story.
3) Show don't tell. You do a lot of telling in this story. Show us dialogue. Show us action! Use your amazing descriptive talents to show the details of the relationships between characters so you can develop them
4) We really didn't see any character personalities. You need to develop your characters more because we want to learn more about them
5) You need more action. Nothing really happens in this chapter until the end. You need to engage your audience and move the plot along at the same time.

Other than that well done! Keep up the great work! :D

Obsessing over what you regret won't get you anywhere.
— Steggy