Young Writers Society

Revolution...

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Wed May 21, 2008 11:35 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

Oh! Okay.

*Hey I bet yourt raking up points just by answering my questions. :D *
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

118 Reviews

Reviews: 118
Thu May 22, 2008 8:31 pm
myfreindsavamp says...

Revised and even with a title. :D *

A Revolutionary Monument

A time of pirates
The life of Zen Blackheart

Rewritten and slightly retold by,
Your student only,

Amber Coultis

In memory of the forgotten little ones
(And for the badly beaten up book that contained the changed words.)

Jan. 1765
Food
-chickens: 30- 1 rooster
-wheat: 15 bags
-flour: 17 bags
-rum: 60 barrels
-pigs: 10
-goats: 2
♥-13
I know this is the recording book for our supplies but I felt like using one of my strengths (writing) to keep it handy. My name is Zen Blackheart and I’m a 13 year old, pirate. My father’s raised me since my mother came over an illness and died. He says she was the most beautiful thing of our time. I believe him. My father has decided, when he’s done and tired, I’m to take his place as captain on the Killing Creek. Many call me Miss 13 for the bad luck I cause for our enemies. My job is to count supplies, help in attack, and to watch from the crow’s nest. My hair is black and my eyes are a blue. Very sea worthy aren’t I? I hear the first mate calling ‘ Blackheart!’. I must go. I shall put this in the bed I am to sleep on. I am called again.
Safe on Killing Creek,
- Zen ♥

Food
-chickens: 20- 1 rooster
-wheat: 13 bags
-flour: 15 bags
-rum: 50 barrels
-pigs: 7
-goats: 3
♥-14
It was a bit of time since the last time I was to record supplies. The two goats had a baby and I was to care for it. Today we get more supplies and we were told of the Stamp Act. The smuggler (from the ship we’re buying from) said that newspapers, playing cards, diplomas, and legal documents were taxed and when you paid for the tax they would stamp the item or whatnot to make sure you didn’t take it or whatever. I thought that it kind of stupid and my racing heart of tension slowed when he said that it was repealed because of violent protests. I shall not write what he said they did. It is too much for me. I sit up in the crow’s nest, watching my fellow pirates haul loads of supplies onto our ship. It costs us more than a regular load. He must have bought this stuff when the Stamp Act was in action.
Safely on Killing Creek,
- Zen ♥

Food
-chickens: 30- 2 roosters
-wheat: 16 bags
-flour: 18 bags
-rum: 62 barrels
-pigs: 12
-goats: 4

March 1770

Food
-chickens: 0
-wheat: ½ bag
-flour: ¼ bag
-rum: 0 barrels
-pigs: 0
-goats: 1
♥-18
After we made it to Boston my father gave up his position of captain to me out of the blue and we celebrated. Rum all night for the crew, on March 4. The next morning a riot started and a few of my men went. Only 2 of the 4 came back. I was devastated. Horrified of the out come of the shots I heard just little time ago. 2 of my best men had been wounded and we didn’t have enough money to wait for them. The water was our home and we needed it like fresh drinking water. Some of my men got home sick for the tilting ship as I went out for young recruits. I found a greatly built boy my age and man that clamed to be the boy’s father. They looked nothing alike. But I welcomed them onto my ship. The 18 year old was named Jessie and the ‘father’, Thomas. Now safe on deck again, I shall count supplies and instruct the 2 new men.
Safely on Killing Creek,
- Zen ♥

Food
-chickens: 30- 1 rooster
-wheat: 15 bags
-flour: 19 bags
-rum: 63 barrels
-pigs: 10

Dec. 1773
Food
-chickens: 1- 1 rooster
-wheat: 9 bags
-flour: 12 bags
-rum: 33 barrels
-pigs: 1
♥-21
Jessie has been trying to get close to me but I push him away 10 fold. He says every time I push him away, “Hate is an act of love.” I push the thought out of my mind as I think about the day. We raided another ship today. The captain of what was it called again?.. The Crashing.
The captain of the Crashing was happy to join me at dinner with my crew. He shared information from land. Something about the Boston Tea Party. He chuckled lightly before he told me grown men from a group called the Liberty Boys dumped 300 and some odd chests of tea into the bay on Dec. 16. Parliament was furious and passed the Intolerable acts. It closed the bay from any in and out trippers. The captain was willing to give us some of his cargo, as he had a lot more than needed for his trip he was making to England. It’s now Dec. 19 and I’m a bit mad the bay is closed. I lye in bed as I write this. My crew will have to take the winter to come, at full force.
Safely on Killing Creek,
-Zen ♥
Food
-chickens: 21- 1 rooster
-wheat: 14 bags
-flour: 15 bags
-rum: 39 barrels
-pigs: 3

April 1775
Food
-chickens: 11- 1 rooster
-wheat: 12 bags
-flour: 11 bags
-rum: 30 barrels
-goats: 3
♥-23
Being captain is hard work. Jessie sits in front of me on this 30th day of April. He begs and begs to be by my side. Yesterday I let him slip along side me as I walked on deck and today I felt to tired to do anything about his reassurance. I push this memory away as I pull another from it’s shelf.
I fought hard against a well skilled pirate captain. All I had wanted was information. News of land. Of the colonists. He hated the part that I was a girl captain of a pirate ship. I don’t blame him. He challenges.
“Fight if you are as brave as we are told.” The young captain sneers. He is only 19. Silly young ones. They never get the point.
I accept and he lashes out quickly with grace. I block as easily. Too much training can be good for you, or is it that there is no such thing as too much training?
Swards clash for quite some time. It goes on and on. No crew member of either side dares step in. This is a serious battle. Who wins is an important thing to both ships.
Last blow was from me. I pulled the boy up in a surprising fix for any one. He grumbled as he hit the deck. I complimented him on his great swordsmen ship. He still grumbled.
“Look, I know I’m a girl but you have to get over the fact. My name is Zen.” I say as I hold out a hand to him. He takes it. “Jake.” He says.
I let him and his crew come along on boarded my ship. The crew are a little uneasy about my doing this but it’s the only way to make friends with Jake.
Over yet another dinner Jake tells me of the first battle of our war in the new lands I’ve been hovering about. He says, “It accrued on April 19. The outcome was sad. The British men were running away like babies. They faced a terrible defeat. They even mistook a rider of warning to be drunk.” He laughs a hearty laugh as he drinks rum. One of the only things we have as a novelty on this ship.
Stupid British, I think as I take a small sip of my drink. I must keep my wits about me if I am to survive the night. Jessie watches over my like a hawk.
I take into account that I don’t mind the hard stare of Jessie’s eyes on the paper as I scribble away. No… I don’t (mind).
Safely on Killing Creek,
- Zen ♥

July 1775
Food
-chickens: 9- 1 rooster
-wheat: 12 bags
-four: 10 bags
-rum: 26 barrels
♥-23
The sun blisters on my tanned face as the wind picks up in our main sail. I think it’s all going good as I sit here in the crow’s nest. It warms me now, to know that Jessie is doing great as usual in sward fighting. I can’t help but wonder about our day’s visit of another captain today, as I watch the burning light of the sun flicker along the waters as it starts to move below the horizon.
Man by the name of Gregory came upon my ship, coming from land. He didn’t appear as much but he had lots to tell. He seamed to be a very little man but he told greatly in detail of The Battle of Bunker Hill. Any one else hear it was fought on Bunker Hill’s neighboring hill? Bread’s Hill I think it is called. Any way. Americans were running low on ammunition before the small battle began. On June 17 they stood atop of the hill while British troops advanced up the hill. The American General of there’s said “Don’t fire till you see the whites’ of there eyes. Then fire low.” Eventually the American’s had to retreat and it was not official to whom won.
I sit here once again as the sun sinks out of view. I’ve gone into my world of though multiple times while writing this so bare with me. Well this hobby of writing has helped me a lot. Maybe I shall move to land like my father did when he got slightly ill. I didn’t hear why he had given me captain until well after we had gone. It’s still all one big mystery, this world. But I plan to unveil it’s secrets.
Safely on Killing Creek,
- Zen ♥

Aug. 1775
Food
-chickens: 8- 1 rooster
-wheat: 11 ½ bags
-flour: 9 bags
-rum: 24 barrels
♥-23
I finally admit I have been defeated once in battle. I was tired that day and my crew was cheering me on as the captain pirate challenged me. He had me at the tip of his sward in minutes and Jessie was about to pounce on him when his ‘father’ held him back. The man sneered at me. Another around my age.
One of the younger pirates, James, poked his head out to see the commotion of his own teacher’s defeat.
He leaned down over my body that lay on the deck. I didn’t move. His blade was sharp and I couldn’t stand to blead. It hurt for me quite a bit. And it humiliated me. “Gona kill me?” I ask.
“No.” He asnwers in a horse voice. He must have been yelling to his crew all day. That mst anoy them. He pulls me to my feet and hold the sward to my throught. Y head is tilted up to the sky. My eye catches on a shining object in the masts. It’s from the other young boy, Charles. It’s his mirror. He sees me and I see him. Jessie nocks back his father and almost makes it to the other captain but stops when the blade breezes hard against my neck. The flat edge is there but he can still slit my throught just as easily. I just look up. Jessie’s eyes fill with a power. Something of hatred is what he ells me now. I really have no idea what the captain say but it made the blade come closer to my bone. Wind filled the masts again and both ships were now gliding along as they collided a few times.
“Show me your lout.” The pirate growls into my ear.
“Forward.” I say as he has my hands behind my back so I can’t steer that well. “Tell me. While you raid my lout I may as well ask if you’ve heard of news from land.” I say as he pushes open a door that leads sown into the dark under of the ship. Where all our good supplies are kept and our main thing. Our lout. It was in my room. I didn’t dare take any out of place unless we were to pay for something.
“Hum… well, your being so cuapritive. The Decloration of independence was singed last month on the 4th. Every one says it has 4 parts. It was proposed by a guy name Lee. I think one of the men that told me said that if England wins the war, the men that signed the declaration will probable be killed.” He pushed me into my room and I fell to the floor on my hands. He held the sward to my back. “Now show me where it is.”
I willingly gave him as much as he wanted. I didn’t care at that point and he was kind enough to me that he didn’t take it all.
I sit here as the sun tanns my skin once again. The crew is used to my once in a blue moon writing now. It doesn’t bother them.
Safely on Killing Creek,
- Zen ♥
We've all been broken in some way. It's just how we express it that makes us dffrent form eachother.

“This precious book of love, this unbound lover,
To beautify him only lacks a cover.”
~William Shakespeare, The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet

“A good book isn't written, it's rewritten.”
— Phyllis A. Whitney, Guide to Fiction Writing