z

Young Writers Society

To Run with Wolves Ch. 1

21 Reviews

Reviews: 21
Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:17 am
denj says...

Well, here it is. This is my first full-length story and probably the only one I've ever really finished. It's set in medieval times and is about an English boy who is captured by Viking raiders. I won't give away any more than that. It's a very long story, about 25,000 words and 50 pages in MS Word, so I've attached the .doc file. I decided not to post it in the Advanced Critiques forum since it has already been thoroughly edited for grammatical errors. Here's a sneak peak at the first chapter.

Chapter 1: Captured

The harsh peal of a war-horn jolted me from my deep slumber. Within seconds I had thrown back the covers and was standing at my window, my eyes scanning the seas and surrounding countryside. It was a gray morning, with dark clouds in the sky and thick fog drifting out at sea.

My gaze was drawn to a dark, almost imperceptible silhouette far out in the ocean. As I watched, more dark shapes appeared, moving rapidly toward shore. The fog obscured their outlines, but I could easily tell it was a small fleet of longboats. Raiders had come to pillage Reymont fief.

Below my chamber window, sentries rushed about, issuing orders and rousing soldiers from their slumber. I knew I must join them in the defense of my home. I threw open the doors of my wardrobe and gathered my suit of leather armor. It was deceptively strong, backed with mail to protect from the slashing of blades. I fumbled clumsily with the straps of the vest. It was difficult to put on without help, being rather heavy and cumbersome.

After ten or so minutes, I was fully garbed, and I strapped my scabbard round my waist and slid in my rapier. Once more I went to my window and scanned the sea. I could now clearly see the small, agile ships, and some were almost close enough to land. Archers on the battlements of Castle Reymont were already showering the raiders with volleys of arrows, but most thudded harmlessly against the hulls of the ships or entirely missed their mark. While I looked on, a team of soldiers readied a ballista and drew it back. When the great projectile was loosed, it sped blindingly fast toward the fleet. The massive arrow punctured the sail of the lead ship and became lodged in the hull of the vessel behind it. I could hear it smash into the wood from my vantage point.

I knew I mustn’t waste anymore time, so I tore my gaze from the battle raging outside and broke into a run, flinging open my chamber door and starting down the stairs. I passed through halls where groups of soldiers were pouring out to defend the castle. Some nodded respectfully to me, acknowledging me as the son of Lord Barrington of Reymont. Before moving on I exchanged solemn greetings with a few younger soldiers I knew from training. A grim mood hung over the castle.

I was panting with exertion by the time I made my way to the courtyard and entered the keep. Captain Brendon Powell, overseer of castle defenses, conversed with soldiers there. He was a massive, muscular man, with short-cropped brown hair and friendly brown eyes. There was always an air of confidence around him, and he was a personable, likeable man. If there was anyone I trusted to lead the castle through this raid, it would be him. Despite the gravity of our situation, the big man called out a cheerful greeting as he saw me enter.

“Aric!” he called to me, and I slowed my pace and walked toward him. “You’re up early today!” He gave a chuckle at his own joke, since I usually slept rather late. I tried to paste a smile on my face.

“Morning, Captain Brendon. I hear we’ve something of a problem on our hands,” I replied, now standing a few feet away. My hand rested on the reassuring hilt of my rapier. His playful air vanished and he suddenly became grave, his brown eyes deepening in thought.

“We’ll need everyone we’ve got and then some to fend off these raiders,” he said. “Glad you decided to join us. I’ve sent guards to protect your father, so you need not worry about him.” I gave an involuntary sigh, relieved to know that my father was safe. He would be a choice target for the raiders, being one of the most powerful men in England. He was close friends with the king and he would be a hefty bargaining tool in the hands of the raiders.

“Where are these filthy pirates from, anyway?” I asked. I guessed they were probably Norsemen, judging from their craft, but I wasn’t certain.

“We’re almost positive they’re the same band that we sighted off our shores last autumn, the Scandinavians,” replied Brendon. “They’re right nasty fighters, what with their massive axes and hammers and such. An all around rather barbaric bunch.” A sentry called to Brendon then, and he hurried away, leaving me to ponder what he had said.

Moments later, an ominous pounding, like the beating of some great drum, began. It was an unnervingly steady “Boom-boom. Boom-boom.” The wooden keep doors shook with each pound, and I knew that it they were being smashed repeatedly with a battering ram. All conversation in the keep rapidly ceased, and everyone’s attention became fixed on the doors. The attack had begun.

There was nothing to do but wait as the doors grew looser and looser on their hinges. Archers continued to rain arrows upon the attackers, but the raiders knelt down and covered their heads with their large roundshields. The pounding continued for several minutes, and still not a word was spoken. Then, as soon as it had begun, the beating stopped, and the doors gave an ear-splittingly loud creak before falling inward. They sent up a cloud of dust, and for a moment it was difficult to see.

I took a step backward and attempted to shield my eyes. As the dust cleared, a roar like a thousand angry wolves rose up from the raiders outside. They rushed forward, unstoppable as the ocean tide, the pounding of their feet sounding like the rumble of thunder. I drew my rapier with a metallic sliding noise from its scabbard.

The first raider to enter the keep was felled with a well-placed arrow to the heart. My eyes locked with his for a fraction of a second, and I saw the spark of life drain from them as he slumped to the ground. Tens of his comrades replaced him in an instant, shouting and shaking their fearsome variety of weapons. Some held axes, war-hammers, polearms, and spears, but most wielded short, blocky swords and roundshields.

As their ranks collided with ours, the ringing and clashing of metal, the unearthly screams of dying men, and the unmistakable metallic scent of blood filled the air. I threw myself into the fray without thought, my rapier becoming an extension of my arm as I danced with deadly grace through the enemy force. I drew upon years of tirelessly honing my skill in this one moment, and now no weapon scathed me as I cut these barbarians down, one after another.

My vision took on a red haze and time seemed to slow down. The blades of my foes moved so slowly to me that I dodged blows with ease. One raider clad in a bearskin charged me, his hammer raised above his head to strike. I darted deftly out of his path, but stumbled on a body and fell to the ground with a thud, the air knocked from my lungs. The last thing I felt was something smashing forcefully into the side of my head, then the world went black.

Enjoy!
Attachments
To Run with Wolves.doc
(247 KiB) Downloaded 58 times
Last edited by denj on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:48 am, edited 3 times in total.
-denj
Take it easy.

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:13 pm
Lauren says...

Hello, denj. Nice to meet you, and welcome to YWS.

I'm afraid, being chronically lazy, I didn't read your entire document, but the first chapter. Regrettably, I'm sure that will the case for most reviewers here.

Over-all

A very promising read! Considering your age (I know I sound dreadfully condescending here, but it's true) it was well written. When I was thirteen, I was writing complete drivel (still am, by some accounts). Chapter One was a feast for the imagination, had oodles of potential. It's great that you know what you were talking about, such as about the way things looked and of the Norsemen, unlike others who think the odd declaration of 'O! ye olde pirates!' etc. will suffice.
I thought you set the mood very well, and described exceptionally.
My only issue has to be that it does suffer a touch of that old telling not showing problem. You say you did this, did that, but why? I find it hard to articulate what I mean.
Aside from that, I loved it! Especially when the dialogue set in, which was believable and enjoyable to read.

No nit-picks, which is a great relief! Either you are very good at grammar or your mother did a fine job.

Lauren 8)

21 Reviews

Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:21 pm
denj says...

Thank you very much for your positive review and comments!

Now that I read it over again, I can see what you mean by the "telling not showing." I suppose that may be one of the weaker points of my writing, as I tend to describe in such a way that makes it feel like I'm only telling about the story and showing it. However, if you read on, I think I offer more insight into the MC's thoughts and feelings, which may help with the showing. I think my writing actually improved throughout the story, since it was my first full-length work.

And about the grammar, I'm not bad, but the story would have been a wreck without my mom!

Thanks a bunch

Ben 8)
-denj
Take it easy.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sun Nov 23, 2008 2:37 pm
Demeter says...

Hello, denj!

Thanks for letting me know about this. Like lhighton, I also read only the first chapter – at least for now. I suggest you'd post them here chapter by chapter, so you could have possibly more readers. So maybe you should post chapter 2 in a new thread and so on. That wouldn't be so repulsive ;)

Indeed, no grammatical errors! Great! At least I didn't notice any. This was also the first piece of historical fiction I've ever read here.

imperceptible

Lovely word. Haha.

the Scandinavians,” replied Brendon. “They’re right nasty fighters, what with their massive axes and hammers and such. An all around rather barbaric bunch.”

At first I was like "Hey! I'm Scandinavian!" but then I realized I'm not. I'm only Fenno-Scandian, which is a bit different. Not much, but enough to not be rather barbaric. :D

I think your description is good, it's just enough to be interesting, but still not shoving the details down the readers' throats. I could imagine the views in my head. And they looked cool. ;)

You're indeed a very good writer for your age. How come it is always the youngest ones who are the best? *cries* No, just kidding. You're great, and keep it that way.

Hmm, I feel like this review is lacking something really important, I just can't remember what it is. Well, you can always ask me if you want to know something else.

Okay. Maybe I should go now.[/ramble] Thanks for the read!

Demeter xxx
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

21 Reviews

Sun Nov 23, 2008 3:09 pm
denj says...

No racism intended! :P And the MC actually finds out later that they aren't quite as barbaric as he once thought.

There are 18 chapters, so I'd have to make a whole lotta threads, but maybe I'll to that. It's gonna cost me tons of points, though, so I'll still attach the entire document with each thread so you can read the whole thing.

Thanks for taking the time to read my story and your first historical fiction on this forum ever! I was considering classifying it as Action/Adventure, but I had always intended it to be historical fiction. It is historically accurate except for the names of the barons in England.

Thanks again

Ben
Last edited by denj on Thu Oct 21, 2010 12:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
-denj
Take it easy.

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:39 pm
canislupis says...

Hi there!

I just have to say I really enjoyed reading this. It was excellently constructed, flowed well (for the most part), was free of mechanical errors, (though I may have missed some)

I think the biggest problem is that you are telling rather than showing. (Someone may have already mentioned this above, I thought I might have read something...)

There is practically no description, and you are just stating things as they happened, which can get boring, no matter how exciting your plot is.

On the other hand, I know I've already said this, but this piece seems like it was written by someone who has had experience writing professionaly. Nice job!

I can't wait to read more stuff by you!! (In fact, PM me if you want a review. Seriously!)

I'm sorry I don't have time to do a complete line by line review.

See you around!

~lupis

1272 Reviews

Reviews: 1272
Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:23 pm
Rosendorn says...

A good read for sure, but historically speaking I have a few things that don't entirely fit:

1- I'm guessing this is before 1,000 A.D. since that's when the Norse raids were.
2- The rapier was not invented until the 1500s or even 1600s. And, I don't think it would stand up very well to a Norse broadsword.
3- If history is any example, heirs to the lord were not sent into battle, no matter how good they were. Unless this guy had a brother who was capable of taking the place of heir, the current heir would by no means possible be swung headfirst into a fight-- and even then. Unless his father specifically wanted him to be thrown into the fight for training purposes then he would be put under guard with his father.
4- Lets say he was allowed to join in. In that case, he'd probably be in the barracks, not his room.

The plot is good and I want to keep looking at this, but some details need more looking into.

PM me if you have any questions.
A writer is a world trapped in a person— Victor Hugo

Ink is blood. Paper is bandages. The wounded press books to their heart to know they're not alone.

Your presence can give happiness. I hope you remember that.
— Jin, BTS