z

Young Writers Society

Ships and Boys - Short Story Complete!

20 Reviews

Reviews: 20
Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:57 pm
Clover Madison says...

So here's my story that I wrote for Creative Writing. It's okay...I hope my next two will be better. This is mostly a characterization story on the early life of my character - Julia Fredrickson. I have an idea for a much, much longer story with her as an adult. So here she is as a child.
Enjoy, critique and comment

(If you would like to e-mail me a really long critique please send it to kmapes2@uiuc.edu)
Thanks

Ships and Boys
I told my very first lie right after my mother died. I was ten.

"How are you feeling, sweetheart." My father stood before me and I knew I should tell him. Tell him that I was scared and alone. There weren?t words for my sadness.

This very moment would change my life completely and as I look back on it I wish I had told the truth. "Fine," I answered.

Teddy threw the ball to Lucas shouting words I couldn?t hear through the kitchen window. The onions made my eyes water as I chopped them. The sound of the knife on the cutting board echoed hollowly through the quaint, empty kitchen. I tossed the onions into the stew that hung over the fireplace. The stew was one my mother had taught me to make. It always reminded me of her. If I strained just a little I could hear her soft spoken voice, "Remember Julia, stir it every few minutes. Otherwise it might burn."

I turned away from the onions for a moment and whipped my eyes. The dirty laundry in the corner seemed to be growing every time I looked away. "I'll do it tomorrow," I said aloud, talking to myself for company. I stirred the stew again. Avery, my younger brother, came bounding into the kitchen. He was still innocent and full of life.

"Hey Juls!" Avery said. My face flushed and I nodded a curt hello. The smile that crossed my face was a lie. "You should come with me to the harbor tonight. I think the new ship that came in yesterday is really a pirate ship."

I scoffed. "You're old enough to know that pirate ships don't dock here."

"No! It really is a pirate ship. Come with me and I'll show you, come on. Remember when we used to run around the docks together and try to find pirates. You were going to join a crew."

"That was three years ago. At least I?ve grown up since then," I said shaking my head. Avery was about to speak again when the kitchen door opened.

"Good day, Father," I said quickly.

"Hello Father," Avery said.

The tall man before us sighed in response and sat down at the table.

"Busy day Father?" Avery asked.

He grunted a yes.

"A cup of tea," Father said and I rushed to prepare it. He closed his eyes and leaned back in his chair, hands on his eyes.

Avery gave me an encouraging smile as he slid out the door. Father didn't move until I set the tea before him.

"Julia, am I raising them right?" His hands reached out to grip the cup but his eyes remained closed. I'd seen him do this many times. He was pretending. "Am I too hard on our boys? Julia what should I do?" Julia, my mother's name, my name.

He always asked about the boys. My six brothers, his worries encompassed them and only them. The smell of the onions had dissipated into the air but my eyes still stung with tears. "You're doing fine,?"I said closing my eyes and holding back the tears. A lie. I always lied. Sometimes I wondered if something was wrong with me.

Father sipped at his tea, opened his eyes and asked, "When were you planning on doing laundry?"

"To-tomorrow," I stuttered.

"Try today," he said. His tea cup clinked against the table as he left.

I let out a sigh and sunk into a chair, the tears rolling down my face. Three years after her death and I was still crying.

I used to love the harbor. It was a constant reminder of the endless possibilities before me. The night after my mother's funeral I snuck out hoping the sea would calm my soul. The harvest moon shed all the light I needed to make my way to the docks. I remember that there was a light breeze. As it blew by me I stopped walking letting it ruffle my skirt and brush my face. An old grandmother once told me that the souls of the dead are carried on the wind. I thought of my mother. My grief consumed me as I walked. I couldn?t hear the footsteps coming up behind me. I never noticed the faces in the shadows. My senses weren't awakened until an arm wrapped around my waist and another around my mouth. Fear coursed through my veins like a fish swimming down stream.

"That's a good girl," the man said in an undertone. Two other men stepped out of the shadows. The hungry look on their faces told me that I was the fish. The way they looked at me, their eyes moving up and down. Evaluating me like an object. Something inside of me snapped. I struggled within the man's grasp, kicking and beating. He held fast whispering words I'd never heard into my ear. I bit his hand and he almost let me go. For a second I was shouting into the night. One of the other men wrestled me to the ground, throwing his disgusting self on top of me. He smelled of cheap ale, cigars and seaweed.

"Get off of her!?" a gunshot exploded near by.

The men scattered. I lay where I was. The moon passed behind a cloud.

"Are you okay?" the man's voice was urgent. He knelt beside me. I didn't respond. The wind whistled through an unseen window.

"Miss?" He touched me gently. Slowly I turned my head to look at him. His face was all eyes and lips. Large symmetrical eyes looked directly into mine. They were the exact color of the dark chocolate Father had given us once. His cheeks were flushed an appealing shade of pink against sun -kissed skin. His wide lips were pursued tightly yet I could still see a happiness about them, a soft smile reaching up to his perfect eyes.

I lifted myself off the dirt road. My handsome rescuer moved quickly to help me. "Are you alright? Did they hurt you?"

"No, I'm fine now," The words slipped out of my lips before I could even think of the truth. The cloud unveiled the moon. My hands shook as I tried to stand. I was almost to my feet when my head began to spin. My rescuer steadied me.

"What's your name?" he asked.

"Julia."

"Can I walk you home, Miss Julia?" His eyes scanned my face they shined as he gave me a reassuring smile. His hand felt warm in mine and I knew this must be what love felt like. Whenever I feel scared I think of this moment. It will be forever etched into my mind.

"Yes," I answered in a whisper.

Father whipped me that night, after my rescuer left. A new rule was added to the household list: Julia is not allowed to go to the harbor.

No one in my family asked me if I was okay. No one reassured me that everything was going to be alright. My rescuer had but he was at the harbor. I lay in bed at night dreaming of his eyes, his smile. I wondered who he was and what he did. Something took hold of my heart and wouldn't let it go. I was hanging laundry when the realization hit, I would do anything to see my rescuer again. My eyes rested on Avery's soaking trousers. That's when I first wanted to be a boy. Even though he was a year younger Avery could go to the docks whenever he wanted. The next day Avery and I snuck out. It was the first time I dressed as a boy. I went with the intention of finding my rescuer but soon I fell in love with the sea. For a fortnight Avery and I snuck out. We met sailors, merchants and other children that hung around the docks. That was until Virgil, my eldest and most serious brother, caught me sneaking out. He didn't tell father, instead he watched me with his eagle eye. I hadn't tried to go to the harbor since.

"Avery," I whispered slipping into his room, "I want to come with you."

"So you do believe it's a pirate ship!"

"Shhh, I don't know yet but I want to see it."

Avery's clothes were a little too big on me but I thought it helped the effect. I tied my hair back with a black ribbon, which was common for boys, and plopped my brother's floppy hat on my head. Even at night the docks were crawling with people. Some of them were beggars, some were the type that attack little girls but most of them were sailors.

Each time we passed someone who didn't as much as glance at us I felt a new wave of confidence. Boys ran around the docks all the time - I was just one of them.

"It's the next one," Avery called back to me.

The ship was a Barque, a small, fast vessel that is rumored to be a favorite among pirates. Three masts stood tall against the sky. As we came even closer I could tell that it was the best armed ship I had ever seen . Father always said that the more cannons a ship had indicated that it was involved in more battles.

Avery was smiling at me. "So what do you think? It looks a lot like a pirate ship doesn't it?"

"Yeah," I said slowly letting my breath out, "It does."

"Come on lets go on board."

"Can we do that?"

Avery just continued grinning. He crept toward a wooden plank that had been lowered for easy entry. A rope was tied across it, attempting to make it off limits. Avery ducked beneath it and I followed. "Breathe," he said. I let out my breath not realizing that I'd been holding it.

We nearly ran into a pair of black boots with shiny silver buckles standing right in front of us.

"Where do you two think your going?"

Avery stood and I followed trying to look like a boy as much as possible.

"We just wanted to see the ship, sir," Avery said all innocent and polite. "It's a fine ship, sir," he added for good measure.

"You're right, boy" The man looked lovingly at the ship and his chocolate brown eyes sparkled.

I put my hand over my lips catching the gasp that slipped out. It was him, my rescuer at last. He still had those same brown eyes. He looked to be in his late twenties with dark brown hair. The stubble of hair on his chin indicated the beginning of a beard. His body was lean and muscular from hard labor. "Well," he asked after a moment, "what are your names?" He smiled then and it was as magnificent as I remembered.

"I'm Avery and this is Ju-" Avery stopped. His face was still with the realization of what he'd done. My rescuer looked confused.

"July," I said holding my hand out for him. Part of me wanted him to recognize me as a girl. The other part wanted to be a boy forever.

He shook my hand. "Hello July. Are you two brothers?"

"Yes," Avery and I said at the same time.

He laughed and it sounded like the shot of a gun, low and short. "This here," he indicated toward the ship, "is the Monserrat. Follow me."

I glanced over at Avery. He smiled and nodded.

"This here is the quarter deck," my rescuer said. Several cannons sat pointing out into the sea.

"Have you ever shot a cannon, sir?" Avery asked.

"Of course," he answered.

"I hope to shoot a cannon someday," I said. Knowing that I never would.

He laughed like a gun again. His smile and laugh didn't match. "That's a good dream to have, July. When you get a bit older you might be able to accomplish that." He was mocking me. "Over there," he continued with the tour, "is the foremast. The one behind us is the mizzen mast."

We walked down a flight of stairs across another deck. I'd never realized how large a ship really was until I was on it. Sailors were scattered all over. Some scrubbed the deck, others were talking and laughing. Yet they all stared as we passed. None of them said anything, not even a word to my rescuer.

"Down here," he continued, "is the crew's quarters." He opened a hatch revealing a flight of stairs. "This," he dropped the hatch with a bang. Only Avery and I jumped, the crew seemed to be use to it. "Is the capstan. It's used to pull ropes that would be too heavy otherwise." My rescuer continued to point out parts of the ship.

I stood there trying to take it all in. The night air infused with the smell of fish, the lullaby of the water lapping against the ship. Women weren't allowed on ships. I could have no hope for ever joining a crew. Tonight, though, I was a boy. As a boy I could do whatever I wanted.

"What's your name?" I asked my rescuer.

"Captain Kipling," he said with a smile that covered his whole face.

"You're a captain?" Avery gasped.

"I am," he laughed.

"Is this a pirate ship?" I asked directly.

Captain Kipling looked at us both seriously for the first time. "You'd better come with me to the captain's cabin." He led us back the way we came to the stern of the ship. An ornate door was the entrance to a spacious room. Everything was nailed down from the deep red rug, to the dark wood table. "Sit," he said and even the chairs were nailed down. I glanced over at Avery but he was no longer filled with delight. Instead he appeared horrified, his face had paled and his eyes were focused on something far away. His fearfulness made me uneasy.

Kipling didn't say anything instead he opened a trunk and pulled out a rolled up piece of cloth. He unrolled it across the table. "Do you know what this is?" His voice had a different tone to it than before. The cloth was red with a white skull in the middle. A white heart was in the skull's mouth like the teeth were crushing it. I paled, maybe we were in trouble.

"Well what is it, boys?" Kipling asked again.

"A Jolly Roger," Avery whispered.

"Very good," Kipling laughed that same gun shot of a laugh. "I'm just joking around with you boys. We captured this one from a pirate ship.? He began to roll up the flag. "I'm going to have to send you two off now. We're going to be sailing soon."

"You mean your leaving?" I said before I could stop myself.

"Aye," he answered crossing to open the door for us. Avery jumped to his feet. I could see that the whole exchange had frightened him. Kipling walked us to the entryway. "Head on home now," he said.

Avery was off the ship before I had even made up my mind. "Hey, I'll meet you at home!" I shouted to him.

"What!"

"I'll meet you don't worry." He nodded and took off, careless as ever. I turned toward a confused looking Captain Kipling. "I want to join your crew!" I said in my best impression of a boy.

Kipling considered me for a moment. "How old are you?"

"Thirteen."

"Do you have a last name July?"

"North," I said. It was the first name that came into my head.

Kipling considered me for another second before turning to his crew milling around on the deck. "Men! What do you think of July North here joining our crew?"

"We did just lose that cabin boy," one man said. There was a murmur of agreement after that. My heart thumped against my chest so hard it hurt.

"Yea! Let 'im join if 'e wants!" another man shouted. There were congenial shouts of yea after that.

"Welcome aboard July North I'm your captain." Kipling shook my hand and then he turned away shouting orders. "Pull up the gang plank! Bring up the anchor! All hands on deck!" Glancing sideway at me he shouted, "Run up the Jolly Roger!"
Last edited by Clover Madison on Fri Sep 15, 2006 6:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

"Life is like an hourglass glued to the table."

504 Reviews

Reviews: 504
Thu Sep 14, 2006 11:07 pm
Dream Deep says...

I read it through, Clover, and I really would like to give you a long crit on this. ^_^ It really drew me in.

So! I'll get to work in that (to e-mail to you, if you like)..

I'll try to get it you before the end of the month, in any event.

~Dreamy ^_~

Very good, Clover.

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Sep 15, 2006 12:12 am
Wiggy says...

I really liked this clover! I totally don't have time to do a long crit right now, but I'll try to get one for ya by the end of this month. *sighs* Let's see, that's...the fifth one I've promised? lol I'll get it to ya, don't worry. :D

Wiggy ;)
"I will have to tell you, you have bewitched me body and soul..." --Mr. Darcy, P & P, 2005 movie
"You pierce my soul." --Cpt. Frederick Wentworth

Got YWS?

20 Reviews

Fri Sep 15, 2006 5:56 am
Clover Madison says...

Thank you so much for the nice comments - I look foreword to reading your comments. Sorry about the whole ? mark thing It changed it when I did copypaste. I fixed it so it's eaiser to read now.
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. -Groucho Marx

820 Reviews

Reviews: 820
Fri Sep 15, 2006 1:12 pm
Myth says...

I told my very first lie right after my mother died. I was ten.

"How are you feeling, sweetheart." My father stood before me and I knew I should tell him. Tell him that I was scared and alone. There weren’t words for my sadness.

This very moment would change my life completely and as I look back on it I wish I had told the truth. "Fine," I answered.

Good beginning. You go straight into explaining what this lie was.

Teddy threw the ball to Lucas shouting words I couldn’t hear through the kitchen window.

You immediately introduce two names and there is nothing to suggest who they are. Maybe you could have added they were (I’m guessing) Julia’s brothers or at a later stage. At this time its just two kids playing outside.

Avery gave me an encouraging smile as he slid out the door. Father didn't move until I set the tea before him.

Her brother making an escape while she has to deal with her father. Is this something he does to avoid tension or because his father wouldn’t want him in the room?

He always asked about the boys. My six brothers, his worries encompassed them and only them. The smell of the onions had dissipated into the air but my eyes still stung with tears. "You're doing fine," I said closing my eyes and holding back the tears. A lie. I always lied. Sometimes I wondered if something was wrong with me.

I love this part about the lie and her worrying about it.

Father sipped at his tea, opened his eyes and asked, "When were you planning on doing laundry?"

"To-tomorrow," I stuttered.

"Try today," he said. His tea cup clinked against the table as he left.

Teacup is one word.

Her father appears to be unfriendly towards Julia as you mentioned he was more fond of the boys and here he didn’t thank her for the tea or the work she is doing.

An old grandmother once told me that the souls of the dead are carried on the wind.

As you are using past tense it would be: ... souls of the dead were carried on the wind.

"That's a good girl," the man said in an undertone. Two other men stepped out of the shadows. The hungry look on their faces told me that I was the fish. The way they looked at me, their eyes moving up and down. Evaluating me like an object.

Ah, a creepy scene. I can just imagine the men looking at her like that.

Something inside of me snapped. I struggled within the man's grasp, kicking and beating. He held fast whispering words I'd never heard into my ear.

Was he using rude words or was she too taken up with the struggle that she didn’t hear what was said?

"Miss?" He touched me gently. Slowly I turned my head to look at him. His face was all eyes and lips. Large symmetrical eyes looked directly into mine. They were the exact color of the dark chocolate Father had given us once. His cheeks were flushed an appealing shade of pink against sun -kissed skin. His wide lips were pursued tightly yet I could still see a happiness about them, a soft smile reaching up to his perfect eyes.

Could she really see his pink cheeks in the dark? Shadows would have possibly spread across his face so it would not have stood out to show much colour.

Whenever I feel scared I think of this moment. It will be forever etched into my mind.

Remember past tense, ‘this’ should be ‘that’. So she was remembering that certain memory.

Even at night the docks were crawling with people. Some of them were beggars, some were the type that attack little girls but most of them were sailors.

... some were the type that attacked little girls ...

The ship was a Barque, a small, fast vessel that is rumored to be a favorite among pirates.

... that was rumoured ...

or:
The ship was a Barque—a small, fast vessel—rumoured to be a favourite amongst pirates. (In your own words as this is a suggestion).

He laughed and it sounded like the shot of a gun, low and short. "This here," he indicated toward the ship, "is the Monserrat. Follow me."

The name of the ship would be in italics. Also, it would be rude of the man not to introduce himself, you should think about doing that at this point instead of later in the story.

You definitely have to write more! I really thought the Captain was telling the truth until the end.

I’ve given a suggestion for one of the parts, which you can consider using. There are a few mistakes that I’ve seen apart from that this was brilliant. A girl dressed up as a boy on a pirate ship – what else is going to happen, I’m questioning.

You’re very comfortable writing for Julia – the lies, her behaviour towards her father and her close relationship(?) with Avery.

I hope my critique helped and if you want anything else looked at let me know.
.: ₪ :.

'...'

20 Reviews

Fri Sep 15, 2006 3:56 pm
Clover Madison says...

Thank you so much! I loved your comments, they really helped me see what the reader was seeing.

My changes in tense are definatly a problem...thanks for pointing them out.

I hope there will be a much longer story in the works soon but right now I just don't have time.

113 Reviews

Reviews: 113
Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:15 am
writergirl007 says...

Great Story! I love heroines!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol: I can't wait to find out what happens next!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

141 Reviews

Reviews: 141
Mon Aug 20, 2007 2:04 am
MadHatter says...

I enjoyed how you made your main character female. A lot of sailor stories don't have women. Although i think she had more freedom than women of that time would have it was a pretty good story. I really liked how you ended the piece. Although it's often used, it really gave it some oumph. You don't need to write anymore because it's a great story already.
Voldemort: You kids! If I ever find out who's calling I will tell the wizard law and you will go to wizard jail and then I'll kill you!

Harry Potter Puppet Pals - Wizard Swears

32 Reviews

Reviews: 32
Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:24 am
kayles says...

Love the concept, and its well written besides a few minor spelling and punctuation mistakes. At times you tend to tell the reader what's going on rather than showing them - particularly this paragraph:

"Teddy threw the ball to Lucas shouting words I couldn?t hear through the kitchen window. The onions made my eyes water as I chopped them. The sound of the knife on the cutting board echoed hollowly through the quaint, empty kitchen. I tossed the onions into the stew that hung over the fireplace. The stew was one my mother had taught me to make. It always reminded me of her. If I strained just a little I could hear her soft spoken voice, "Remember Julia, stir it every few minutes. Otherwise it might burn."

Try running a few of the sentences together and show the reader what's happening. We also don't really know who Teddy and Lucas are - are they her brothers?

You could also delve into her emotions a little more, for example when her and Avery are going to the docks, you can describe her excitement, how her heart is beating faster etc. Sensory descriptions can really add to a piece.

But, great work! :)

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:59 am
megalapagos says...

I really like this story and I hope to see it continued. One typo I saw, other than the ones that have already been pointed out, was:

"I turned away from the onions for a moment and whipped my eyes."

whipped (which means to lash or beat) should be changed to wiped (as in to rub lightly as with a cloth).

I truly hope this isn't the end.
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former.
-Albert Einstein

522 Reviews

Reviews: 522
Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:49 pm
canislupis says...

This was pretty good. I don't have any comments on the actual story, but in the writing I couldn't help but notice that there are question marks everywhere. In the place of apostraphes there are question marks, in the place of parentheses there are question marks, and in random places there are question marks! Is it just me, or do the rest of you see them too?

Random avatar

Reviews: 3
Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:43 am
jesseadamw says...

First off, the first line caught my attention quickly! Great job! I also like the simple structure of your sentences, short and succinct, although I feel this is my own personal bias and some people may not like how short your sentences are. While reading through the story, I found myself focusing more on the images you were creating rather than the actual plot, which is amazing, I think. Also, the title sold me right away!

If you ever find yourself in the wrong story, leave.
— Mo Willems