z

Young Writers Society

When the Gestapo Come Knocking

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:02 pm
Lauren says...

This user has been banned and her works removed from YWS.

565 Reviews

Reviews: 565
Fri Jul 11, 2008 5:33 pm
Stori says...

Wow, that was great. I caught only one or two minor errors.

I assure you; I would not betray the government.

I think the semicolon could be a comma.

sludge-brown and kaki

It's spelled "khaki." Don't ask me why, but it is.

Other comment: The characters' thoughts are well done, but maybe you could shorten those sections.
"The one thing you can't trade for your heart's desire is your heart."
Miles Vorkosigan

"You can be an author if you learn to paint pictures with words."
Brian Jacques

402 Reviews

Reviews: 402
Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:22 pm
Clo says...

Hey lhighton,

The uniform, nearly completely back

"Nearly completely" - two adverbs in a row. Looks bad. Also, typo there, should be black.

Ebbe stood still, unmoved, for that is how he had [s]to be[/s], to appear

The Chancellor’s title was spoken [s]out[/s] with admiration and with a ring of high praise

This is a sad little piece. You never really make me fear or worry about the intruding Nazi, but it's still written very well. I would suggest, if you ever wanted to edit this or do more with it, then to make the Nazi a more formidable character. Right now, he seems himself injured and feeble and in his persecution of Ebbe, though he himself thinks he's striking fear.

Thanks for the read! C:
How am I not myself?

158 Reviews

Reviews: 158
Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:33 am
Lauren says...

Thanks Kyte. Will correct those errors.

clobgrabby - I see what you mean. It was intentional, however, to show the Friedrich in a humane light. Though probably edging into taboo, I didn't want it to be one of those good guy/bad guy things. From studying the rise in Nazi support, it is clear that a lot of it was to do with economy. Before the persecution became absolute, people like Friedrich were joining up. By the time that the full extent of Hitler's intentions became evident, they were trapped. And I know that it isn't ideal to say so.

See the world. It's more fantastic than any dream made or paid for in factories. Ask for no guarantees, ask for no security.
— Ray Bradbury, Fahrenheit 451