z

Young Writers Society

Dear Sister and Brother

48 Reviews

Reviews: 48
Tue Mar 17, 2009 3:18 am
RubinLikes2Write says...

hey this is for school 6th grade very informal dont tell me the grammer please just tell me what you think of the story thank you and anyone who posts a reply i love you!
_______________________________________________________________________________________________

LETTER #87

Dear Brother and Sister,

I am so sorry I have not contacted you until now. But there’s a big culture difference when you move from the steppes to the city of Luoyang. Luoyang is not as pure and innocent as your little village but not as scary as Old Woman Lee made it out to be.

Part of the reason I am writing to you is to inform you of my whereabouts. I am currently working on Qin Shi’s Great Wall. I am not working on it form some noble reason such as being an artist or reading the works of Confucius. No, I am a criminal. My crime was murdering my dear wife Yue Linn. I never meant to, it just happened. I am sorry but I do not like to dwell on that topic. However I want you to know how very sorry and remorseful I am. I don’t want you to think that I’m a heartless shell of a human, but to tell the truth my letter is so dead of the passion and energy that you remember me being because I am half dead. Not only did going to the city strip me of some of that youthfulness but also working on the wall completely broke me down.

The working conditions here are completely wretched. My job is to carry the stones from one place to another. At first I thought it was easy but the longer you work the harder it gets. The stones weigh about 1,000 pounds and were as big as a child. Even sharing the workload it’s tremendously difficult, and I must say I am rapidly atrophying both mentally and physically.

Quite frankly I’m lucky to still have the privilege. You see I complained to the head solider about a guard’s treatment of us and I was accused of committing treason. I did not I was just complaining that when I asked for some water I got beaten! However I’ve learned from that mistake, and unfortunately that’s how life goes around this encampment.

Oh sister, do you remember when you used to complain about the weather on the steppes? You always said it was too windy and it made your lisps hurt. But the weather seems so much worse when you have to work through it. Father babied you and let you stay indoors, that is not how it goes in my case. Sometimes in spring, the rain comes down in such huge drops it hurts your head to be out side, but we still build that wall. The only exception is sand storms.

During my first month I thought a sandstorm would be a welcome relief, a chance to rest. But no, I think I remember thinking I think I would rather be working then to try and make conversation with this sorry, complaining lot.

It’s exhausting to think that we still have 2,000 more miles to go and I doubt I will see this wall completed.

Thou I do have one thing to warn you about. If you have any desire to get out of the country and see the world leave now. I have a feeling that this wall will not only stop invaders from coming in but also prevent the citizens from leaving. Some part of me knows that this wall will oppress the people of china subtlety. I am running out of time so I once again beg you to please forgive me. And will you write me back? I love you.
-Shing Chin
I wish my lawn was emo so it would cut its self.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:22 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

Well, you said you didn't want any critique on your grammar. Tell me if you would like some, because I noticed many mistakes grammaticaly.

I'll just quickly mention one problem you have:
Be sure to stay consistent with your tenses. You say he is currently working on the Great Wall, but you refer to the building in the past tense, which makes no sense.

Also:
Always spell out numbers. 1,000 is easy to type out. If you randomly see a number in the midst of a lot of text, it jumps out a bit too much. One thousand is easy to type, as compared to a number like 6,789,654,987.98, which you can put in number form. :wink:

Finally, there were a few things about this that I want to touch on...

Dear Brother and Sister

Do they not have names or something? It seems like when writing a personal letter, you would include the names of your family.

My Dear Wife

He killed his wife? :shock: Well, then she wouldn't be so dear to him, would she? Mentioning a murder and not explaining it is much too confusing. It draws the reader away from the rest of the story. They wonder what happened and why she was murdered. Murder is just to big of a crime to mention quickly. Instead, I would make him a common criminal -- such as a thief.

If you want a more in-depth critique, including grammar and nit-picks, just ask me!

Hope this helped,
Sakura
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

5 Reviews

Reviews: 5
Fri Apr 03, 2009 11:31 pm
the_bronze_pen says...

I thought this story was amazing and that it could be a good book of letters. I noticed a few spelling errors, but as you said, you did not care about grammar just as long as you like the story. I do not really know about the topic of the great wall, I just know a little, such as, it was used to keep away invaders. Overall, nice story!

Lily you are my fig father
— Elliebanana