z

Young Writers Society

The Girl.

9 Reviews

Reviews: 9
Mon May 11, 2009 5:01 pm
arya says...

A car, about 500m away. Definitely to fast. A girl, walking on the street. "I have to help her!!“ Patrice thought, and wanted to call out to warn the girl. "Hey!“ she wanted to jell. "Behind you!“. As Patrice opened her mouth, her tongue suddenly became so heavy. Just like lead. With all her strength Patrice fought against the numbness, just to find out that she couldn't feel her feet either.

Soooo... That's the beginning of a short story I wrote for German. I translated it to English so u could read it... :lol:

73 Reviews

Reviews: 73
Fri May 15, 2009 8:39 pm
MiriamHannah says...

arya wrote:A car, about 500m away.

I like this, this not only shows description but possibly a characteristic of Patrice.

Definitely to fast.

I would change it to 'too'

A girl, walking on the street. "I have to help her!!“ Patrice thought,

I would change the word thought to 'flashed through Patrice's mind' or something similar to give it a little more depth, urgency.

and wanted to call out to warn the girl. "Hey!“ she wanted to jell.

I assume you mean yell :)

"Behind you!“. As Patrice opened her mouth, her tongue suddenly became so heavy. Just like lead.

I like this simile it adds more description but if i were you i would remove 'just' making it snappier.

With all her strength Patrice fought against the numbness, just to find out that she couldn't feel her feet either.

I like the idea of fighting against the numbness but why can't she feel her feet? You need to make the story longer for that sentence to make sense.

For something to write in German I am impressed, I'm not a good linguist (English is enough!!!) It's a good idea and shows the right idea. An idea would be to use some 3 part sentences such as 'I picked up my bag, ran swiftly over to her and hugged her hello' OK not a good sentence but you get what I mean, it would give you more time to describe, like you have mentioned nothing so far about appearance. These are general tips for writing short stories. Something I find fun to do is test myself with 50 word stories. If you can tell a story in 50 words you can tell one in 5,000.

Just ideas but i liked your general writing style, keep writing (in english as well as german :wink: )

9 Reviews

Wed May 20, 2009 5:32 pm
arya says...

Thanks for your review. German is one of my main subjects after all.

It continues:

Patrice stared. Her mouth stood wide open. Her eyes wide with shock.

The Girl had turned around by now and saw the car approaching rapidly.

Patrice also saw everything clearly now.

Behind the steering wheel she, herself, was seated. Her face was grimaced wildly, it looked inhuman with revenge.

She stamped harder on the accelerator, to crash against the girl with even more force.

Patrice screamed, but nothing came out of her mouth. Not that tiny girl. She wasn't even 7 years jet.

Suddenly Patrice's thoughts changed.

Now she willingly stamped on the accelerator.

Patrice watched with a devilish smile on her lips, how she speed towards the little girl. Faster and Faster.

The girl didn't move. Not one millimeter.

It looked at Patrice as if she had known, from the beginning, that she would die young, murdered by her own sister. Run over. A loud crash. Then nothing...

In a white room a 9 year old girl screamed.

It was Patrice. She was alone in the room.

Nobody was there. Not a single soul.

She screamed again. Then she sank back into her cushions and closed her eyes with a tiny smile.

"That's what you get... You deserved it..."

73 Reviews

Wed May 20, 2009 6:14 pm
MiriamHannah says...

Ok good, you've got a good base for a story. The build up makes you think.

Patrice stared. Her mouth stood wide open. Her eyes wide with shock.

I like this but if you wanted you could make it even shorter. 'Patrice stared. Mouth wide open. Eyes wide with shock.' When writing in English you can assume that the reader already knows gender and it isn't as widely repeated.

The Girl had turned around by now

'Girl' should be lower case.

Patrice also saw everything clearly now.

You can delete also, 'Patrice saw everything clearly now.'

Behind the steering wheel she, herself, was seated.

I would delete herself.

Her face was grimaced wildly, it looked inhuman with revenge.

You could change it to 'She grimaced or 'A grimace spread across her face' but as it is hard to understand however, 'inhuman with revenge' i love it!!!!

Patrice screamed, but nothing came out of her mouth. Not that tiny girl. She wasn't even 7 years jet.

Wait? Why is Patrice screaming, I thought she was pushing harder on the accelerator? I'm confused, might want to clear it up a little. Plus you might want to delete 'jet' which is probably yet. It isn't necessary.

Wait, I thought she was already willing to stamp on the accelerator. Again, you might want to clear that up.

Patrice watched with a devilish smile on her lips, how she speed towards the little girl.

'Devilish smile, nice, says a lot about the character. I would change speed to sped because I think your trying to write in past tense

It looked at Patrice

It? You really need to clear this person relationship thing up, i don't know who's who.

single soul.

Nice alliteration!

Thats a really cool last line.

Ok a few character issues but overall very nice, tense, writing. You now need to go into a little more detail, what's the date? who's the main characters? ect... Depending if you want to carry on writing or start on a different project of course. I like your writing style but I would say that for everything it will help you to improve a few aspects. Use more semi colons/ dashes. Make sentence structure a little more complicated sometimes, but i did like the really short sentences. Just clear a few issues up and it's going to be brilliant.

You can pm me again if you want any help with this or other things.

Miriam, your fan. :)

9 Reviews

Thu May 21, 2009 10:21 am
arya says...

I also love really short sentences. But however my teacher doesn't...

I didn't mean what you meant with: The girl should be lower case.

I actually had a middle part in the original, but i thought it wasn't important. However I put it in again.

I corrected it:

A car, about 500m away. Definitely too fast.

A girl, walking on the street.

"I have to help her!!“ flashed through Patrice's mind, and wanted to call out to warn the girl. "Hey!“ she wanted to yell. "Behind you!“.

As Patrice opened her mouth, her tongue suddenly became so heavy. Like lead. With all her strength Patrice fought against the numbness, just to find out that she couldn't move her feet either.

"…And her parents don't even wont to see her. Shes been lying here for two days already and nobody has visited. Nothing that a 9 year old could have done could be so bad that her own parents don't want to see her anymore. That should be forbidden by law!“.

"Yeah whatever. I see it just like you do. Quickly. I don't want to miss this "Gossip Girl" episode. Its on TV in a minute. So could you hurry up please?!" The other nurse answered.

Patrice stared. Mouth wide open. Eyes wide with shock.

Patrice saw everything clearly now.

Behind the steering wheel she was seated. Her face was grimaced wildly, it looked inhuman with revenge.

She stamped harder on the accelerator, to crash against the girl with even more force.

Patrice screamed, but nothing came out of her mouth. Not that tiny girl. She wasn't even 7 years.

Patrice watched with a devilish smile on her lips, how she sped towards the little girl. Faster and Faster.

The little girl with blond piggy tails, looked at Patrice as if she had known, from the beginning, that she would die young, murdered by her own sister. Run over. A loud crash. Then nothing...

Patrice screamed. She was alone in a white room.

She screamed again. Then she sank back into her cushions and closed her eyes with a tiny smile.

OK in case you didn't understand it now, then: Patrice is having a flashback to two days ago, when she stole her parents car and ran over her baby sister. At the beginning of the flashback, she still wants to help the girl. But later she remembers her reasons for wanting to kill her sister, and doesn't want to stop the car anymore.
Life isn't fair,
its just fairer than death,
that's all...

73 Reviews

Thu May 21, 2009 9:20 pm
MiriamHannah says...

A lot better, all of it is a lot better

you might want to change the present to past tense, in the story this bit should be written completely in back tense 'she walked'. Also along instead of on the street.

"…And her parents don't even wont to see her. Shes been lying here for two days already and nobody has visited. Nothing that a 9 year old could have done could be so bad that her own parents don't want to see her anymore. That should be forbidden by law!“.

"Yeah whatever. I see it just like you do. Quickly. I don't want to miss this "Gossip Girl" episode. Its on TV in a minute. So could you hurry up please?!" The other nurse answered.

Put this in italics

LOVE IT

Patrice screamed, but nothing came out of her mouth. Not that tiny girl. She wasn't even 7 years.

This sentence could be made a little clearer.

I know i probably said this in the last post but PERFECT ENDING LINE.

Ok you need to reinforce past or present tense. It's great and I like the specifics, 'gossip girl' '500m' great! Just keep adding detail and you can make this into a really nice story, I'd love to see you writing more, another chapter of this, other genres in different work, explore your writing style because you do have one you just need to define it.

pm me if you need any help :)

Miriam

9 Reviews

Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:00 pm
arya says...

Ill give it another try:

A car, about 500m away. Definitely too fast.

A girl, walked along the street.

"I have to help her!!“ flashed through Patrice's mind, and wanted to call out to warn the girl. "Hey!“ she wanted to yell. "Behind you!“.

As Patrice opened her mouth, her tongue suddenly became so heavy. Like lead. With all her strength Patrice fought against the numbness, just to find out that she couldn't move her feet either.

Behind the steering wheel she was seated. Her face was grimaced wildly, it looked inhuman with revenge.

Patrice watched with a devilish smile on her lips, how she sped towards the little girl. Faster and Faster.

The little girl with blond piggy tails, looked at Patrice as if she had known, from the beginning, that she would die young, murdered by her own sister. Run over. A loud crash. Then nothing...

Patrice screamed. She was alone in a white room.

97 Reviews

Reviews: 97
Fri Jun 26, 2009 7:52 pm
SpencerNolanRivers says...

A car, about 500 miles away, definitely too fast.

It's best to just state "Miles," instead of abbreviating with a lowercase M. Secondly, the second sentence should be included in the first, and you used the wrong form of "To."

The comma in not needed.

"I have to help her!! flashed through Patrice's mind,

The quotations are not needed, and the thoughts should be italizied. Only one explanation point is needed.

"Behind you!“.

A period at the end is not needed.

As Patrice opened her mouth, her tongue suddenly became so heavy, like lead.

"So" should be changed into "Too" and there should be a comma after "Heavy," including the second part into the sentence.

"…And her parents don't even want to see her..."

I'm guessing you'd meant to say this.

"That should be forbidden by law!".

An explanation point is not needed and is over dramatized.

Yeah whatever.

Not needed.

I don't want to miss this "Gossip Girl" episode. Its on TV in a minute.

I find it cliche' to use real-life pronouns in fictitious stories. I love Gossip Girl though, as you can tell by my Blaire avatar.

Patrice stared with her mouth wide open and eyes wide with shock.

Much better.

How so? Explain.

how she sped towards the little girl [/b]faster and faster.[/b]

No need to make it to seperate sentences.

The girl didn't move, not one millimeter.

What is stated above.

The little girl with blond piggy tails, looked at Patrice as if she had known from the beginning that she would die young

Only one comma is needed for thta sentence.

Ran over, a loud crash, then nothing...

The "..." is not needed, and I fixed all the other errors.

Nobody was there, not a single soul.

Again with the sentence fragments...

She screamed again, then she sank back into her cushions and closed her eyes with a tiny smile.

You should be a comma there.

"That's what you get[/b].[/b] You deserved it."

Those "..."s are not needed again.

Overall:
Quite frankly, this story was not very good. It was stiff as cardboard and you convey no sense of feeling through the entire piece. I would expect a lot more from a fourteen-year old. Especially, if you're as interested in writing enough to join this community and have as many posts as you do. I have probably have had to edited 90% of your story, which is not a good thing. If you are a reader, then good, continue to read a lot of books, but if you are not, please read more, and see what is okay and not okay way to write. Hopefully, you will get better.

365 Reviews

Reviews: 365
Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:49 pm
Antigone Cadmus says...

You accidentally posted in the wrong genre? That's no problem at all! I'm a lowly Instructor (hence my purple name), so I can't actually move your post... but others can!
Look for those with light green names -- junior moderators -- and dark green -- moderators. PM (Private Message) them when they are in a good mood, and they will gladly move this story to whatever genre you would like to have it posted in!

Best of luck and happy editing,
Antigone
Odi et amo. quare id faciam, fortasse requiris?
nescio, sed fieri sentio et excrucior.
-Catullus, Carmen 85

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Wed Jul 08, 2009 7:15 pm
LisaMCooper says...

I don't know why people had problems with this. I thought it was brilliant. Of course, I can understand most anything if I put my mind to it. Brilliant work though. I like the idea and the story. A little insanity is always good in any story or genre. Have fun writing. ^^

- LisaMCooper -
My DeviantART Page
My Shared YouTube Channel
[[Subscribe!]]

"You know who protected me back there? Fez."
"Well of course he did. He had to. He's Batman!"

9 Reviews

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:13 am
arya says...

LisaMCooper wrote:I don't know why people had problems with this. I thought it was brilliant. Of course, I can understand most anything if I put my mind to it. Brilliant work though. I like the idea and the story. A little insanity is always good in any story or genre. Have fun writing. ^^

- LisaMCooper -

hey... Thank you so much...
Last edited by arya on Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

9 Reviews

Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:30 am
View Likes
arya says...

KikiSaysRAWR! wrote:
A car, about 500 miles away, definitely too fast.

It's best to just state "Miles," instead of abbreviating with a lowercase M. Secondly, the second sentence should be included in the first, and you used the wrong form of "To."

The comma in not needed.

"I have to help her!! flashed through Patrice's mind,

The quotations are not needed, and the thoughts should be italizied. Only one explanation point is needed.

"Behind you!“.

A period at the end is not needed.

As Patrice opened her mouth, her tongue suddenly became so heavy, like lead.

"So" should be changed into "Too" and there should be a comma after "Heavy," including the second part into the sentence.

"…And her parents don't even want to see her..."

I'm guessing you'd meant to say this.

"That should be forbidden by law!".

An explanation point is not needed and is over dramatized.

Yeah whatever.

Not needed.

I don't want to miss this "Gossip Girl" episode. Its on TV in a minute.

I find it cliche' to use real-life pronouns in fictitious stories. I love Gossip Girl though, as you can tell by my Blaire avatar.

Patrice stared with her mouth wide open and eyes wide with shock.

Much better.

How so? Explain.

how she sped towards the little girl [/b]faster and faster.[/b]

No need to make it to seperate sentences.

The girl didn't move, not one millimeter.

What is stated above.

The little girl with blond piggy tails, looked at Patrice as if she had known from the beginning that she would die young

Only one comma is needed for thta sentence.

Ran over, a loud crash, then nothing...

The "..." is not needed, and I fixed all the other errors.

Nobody was there, not a single soul.

Again with the sentence fragments...

She screamed again, then she sank back into her cushions and closed her eyes with a tiny smile.

You should be a comma there.

"That's what you get[/b].[/b] You deserved it."

Those "..."s are not needed again.

Overall:
Quite frankly, this story was not very good. It was stiff as cardboard and you convey no sense of feeling through the entire piece. I would expect a lot more from a fourteen-year old. Especially, if you're as interested in writing enough to join this community and have as many posts as you do. I have probably have had to edited 90% of your story, which is not a good thing. If you are a reader, then good, continue to read a lot of books, but if you are not, please read more, and see what is okay and not okay way to write. Hopefully, you will get better.

OK... Thanks for your opinion.

I like it that you expressed what you thought about it. Also if it was negative.

here is a little backround information:

First of all: m is for meters!

Second: I translated this from GERMAN. In german, you use allot of , and "".

Third: I am sorry if my english is bad, and it doesnt sound good... English isnt my mothertongue.

I worked hard on this piece, I edited it so often, so you cant say YOU edited 90% of it. MiriamHannah did most of it.

The story is written to be stiff, without feeling. The girl is INSANE! She doesnt FEEL anythig. Or at least not allot.

I am sorry, that you disliked my short story so much. Hopefully you like my next piece better.
Life isn't fair,
its just fairer than death,
that's all...

You have to be a bit of a liar to tell a story the right way.
— Patrick Rothfuss, The Name of the Wind