z

Young Writers Society

Blossoms of Phnom Pehn

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Fri Jul 24, 2009 6:23 pm
Kylan says...

(I can still remember the blossoms of Phnom Pehn.
I think about them now.
You cannot take this away. Stomachs may shrink, shackles may chafe, wife and children may and raped beaten and burned, but the single image of a blossom in bloom, a face cupped, the stem leaning, like a woman bent over the wash, is unassailable. Pretty little things. Pink and fresh, like the cheeks of girls not yet spoken for. Dropped from the pagan fingertips of the trees as the spring cocoons itself in the heat of another humid summer.
It is strange. I no longer think about the food. Food is a painful and distant memory. It is easier to think about the blossoms of Phnom Pehn or the feeling of your brother's breath or fishing poles on the shores of a village, standing out along the banks like accusatory fingers. It is easier to reinvent the world – the world before you existed. Before your soldiers. Before the exodus. Before the anthems and the freedom. It may agitate you to know that I have rejected you and your reality. You are nothing more than faded ghostdwellers. I walk among you, but you are a waterpainting. You are a reflection. I can see through you, skin transparent as lacewing. Strangers in the red dust.
You haunt me, nonetheless.
Tagalong, poltergeist. Earthly trouble. Earthly nonsense.
I no longer think about the pain.
The pain in the stomach, crowing, vast, emptying. The pain behind the eyes. The gray skin. The yellow gums and the teeth, black and aligned like railroadworkers. Eyes deep and old. We might blow away. Tumble away. Our bodies like kiteskins. Spread your arms and the lazy, browsing wind will scoop you up, collect you, ferry you.
But you have the wind, don't you.
You own it all.
You own my very heartbeat.
We do not need mirrors here. We are all the same person now. Tallman. Thinman. Newperson. Gray and dim-eyed in the mist, like dethroned noblemen. To have you is no benefit, you say. To destroy you is no loss. You have taxed us. You have embargoed the soul, the breath, the smile. Tariff on the touch of a loved one. Amendments on the poetry of a conversation.
It is only in the thoughts of a mother's skirts that there is any sanctuary. In the way the house smells after a home-cooked meal. In the way sugarcane break under my grip and in the way a betrothed smiles quietly at you through a folded photograph, tucked under your foot in your shoe. Her face like a blossom in spring, opening, divulging.
The bees, the bees. Come industrialize your tears, darling. Make something. Make something out of nothing. Out of sorrow. Out of sorrow and dust.
It is only in these thoughts. It is only in these thoughts that there is asylum. A nursery of sensation and remembrance. Quiet place, quiet shores. It is here that I smell the blossoms of Phnom Pehn. It is here that I live.)

They stand at the edge of the hole they dug themselves, like words on the tip of a tongue, all twenty-nine of them. The dirt is a fresh and heavy clay. It is in their fingernails. They can smell it in the air. A dozen Khmer Rouge – young men in uniforms that hang on them like foreign skins – sit around with guns and cigarettes and harsh words. They sit and laugh as a captain inspects the men lined up along the ridge, with his proud red sash and his face bruised with liverspots. It is unbearably hot. The heat speaks with a buzzing dialect. Flies at the edges of their eyes. Flies on their lips. Greedy, already, for their nutrionless insides. Attracted by the preamble of a dying man.
They stand in a field. A field of red dirt. The trees have been hacked down to thumbless stumps. The birds hang in the sky listless and homeless, silent and dark as clergymen. The men sweat. There are no women or children, because they were killed the day before. Their bodies hang from the trees on the outskirts of the field, gutless and naked. The birds roost on their limbs and squabble over their eyes. The Khmer Rouge joke around and wave the bloody dresses of the women in front of the men, like the capes of toreadors.
The captain stops at the end of the line. Twenty-nine men. They are silent and expressionless. They are holding the shovels they used to dig this pit, and they are asked to drop the tools. They are all yellow and their faces are too tight on their skulls.
The captain looks at the dozen Khmer Rouge. They stand up and fix their guns.
The trees on the outskirts wave, like the hands of favored pupils, ready with their answers.
Except, there are no answers.
There are only some gunshots, and then men drop silently into the pit.
Last edited by Kylan on Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

16 Reviews

Reviews: 16
Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:11 pm
LisaMCooper says...

Wow.. that's all I can say really. Wow. That is... wow. That is amazing. Though I did spot a few grammar and spelling errors. But hey, everyone makes mistakes. Anyways, just wow. Amazing. Wonderful. I am awed by this work. So much emotion and feeling. And wonderful imagery too. Well done. I'm sorry, I can't say it enough. Keep writing, because I would like to read more of your work.
My DeviantART Page
My Shared YouTube Channel
[[Subscribe!]]

"You know who protected me back there? Fez."
"Well of course he did. He had to. He's Batman!"

369 Reviews

Reviews: 369
Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:19 am
Conrad Rice says...

Hi Kylan. Thought I'd stop by and give my two cents on this.

It the way sugarcane break under my grip and in the way a betrothed smiles quietly at you through a folded photograph, tucked under your foot in your shoe.

It's so rarely that I catch you with an actual grammar error. That first ''it'' ought to be "in" methinks.

As for the rest of this, I can really find no faults with it. The only thing I want to comment on is the last part, where it switches to third person. I know you mean to hint that the character talking in the first part was probably executed. But I think it should be a tad longer than it is. I don't really have a good reason for it other than it would probably balance the story out a bit more.

But, like I said, it is a good story and I do rather like it. PM me if you have any questions or comments. Solid effort, and good luck.

-Conrad Rice
Garrus Vakarian is my homeboy.

878 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 878
Sat Jul 25, 2009 8:41 pm
Demeter says...

Kylan. =) Here as you requested, so let's see what you've got here.

wife and children may and raped beaten and burned

Hmm, wife? Not wives? Also, I don't understand that "may and raped" part – is it actually something you would say in there? Because somehow I feel like it's my broken Finglish again (yes, it's definitely Finglish, not Fenglish!), because I've read this several times already and still don't get it.

t is only in the thoughts of a mother's skirts that there is any sanctuary. In the way the house smells after a home-cooked meal. In the way sugarcane break under my grip and in the way a betrothed smiles quietly at you through a folded photograph, tucked under your foot in your shoe. Her face like a blossom in spring, opening, divulging.

It's all so beautiful. I wish I could quote all the sentences in the story and tell you how appealing they all are, in their own way, but that would take too much time and besides, I don't think it would help you very much. I just want to say that every part of the story is like a little painting, or a photograph, and it's a great pleasure to be reading something like that. It's like you'd written the illustrations in at the same time.

The heat speaks with a buzzing dialect.

Okay, I couldn't resist picking this up, too. Today I actually read the piece of yours that included two stories, Sunflowers and Treaties, if I remember correctly. I didn't have time to review them (I can if you want to, though, just tell me), but I really liked them too, especially Treaties. Anyway. My point is that this particular sentence reminded me of something similar you had in one of those other stories – I don't remember which one – and I was thinking that if I had been reviewing them, that one sentence was something I would've praised greatly, heh. Sorry 'bout the rant, I just felt like letting you know.

There are only some gunshots, and then men drop silently into the pit.

I think it would make the effect a lot stronger if you took away the "some". Right now, it flats the ending out a bit.

As much as I would've liked to read more, I think the shortness of the story sort of brings out the inevitableness of the happenings, if that makes any sense. I was thinking of saying "goriness" too, but, well, the pretty language you use makes even the gory events seem a lot nicer, although it also becomes more... ominous and cruel, even. I really hope I'm making even a slight sense to you, because this time of the evening is definitely not the most ideal time for me to express myself with words. No matter how much I wanted to.

Also, um. This might sound a little freaky (although, nothing's too freaky for us, I suppose?), but you're such an inspiration to me. Maybe it's your productiveness or diligence or just the way you use words, but I really feel like writing everytime I read something of yours. :P And it's a good thing, of course, especially when I'm such a lazy writer...

Anyway. I liked this, thanks for the read. And I hope you know where to find me if you have something to ask/etc.

Dems
%
"Your jokes are scarier than your earrings." -Twit

"14. Pretend like you would want him even if he wasn't a prince. (Yeah, right.)" -How to Make a Guy Like You - Disney Princess Style

Got YWS?

1464 Reviews

Reviews: 1464
Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:58 pm
Juniper says...

Hello, Kylan!

This is beautiful. Definitely a favorite of mine by you.

It is strange. I no longer think about the food. Food is a painful and distant memory. It is easier to think about the blossoms of Phnom Pehn or the feeling of your brother's breath or fishing poles on the shores of a village, standing out along the banks like accusatory fingers.

The underlined sentence here seems definitely unnecessary, and to make that point, I would cut food out of the sentence-- it sounds repetitive and unnecessary (which is pretty ironic, because the repetition later on in here suits well).

Anyway, there's not much at all to comment on in this. It's nicely done, with little-- if any-- flaws to it. The only think I would've liked to see was more description of the setting. It's not totally obvious where this is based-- and I'm not telling you to make it so, XD but! It's not so easy to catch that this is based in Cambodia.

Either way, a beautiful story, though sad and short (you need to write longer stuff, seriously. :P)

June

The moral of Snow White is never eat apples.
— Lemony Snicket