z

Young Writers Society

The 1911 Triangle Tragedy ^^Part 4

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:34 am
d@ydre@mer27 says...

When I finally reached my family's apartment, I found it to be empty and decided to knock on Abraham's door, hoping somehow that the door would open and he would be standing there in front of me. But I received no answer there either and trudged disappointed back to my own apartment to wait for someone to return.

I remember the moment my brother Louis found me asleep on my mattress as being one of the most joyful of my entire life. He enfolded me in his strong arms and wept into my shoulder, careful not to jar my burned arms. He was followed closely behind by my parents who had a similar reaction to seeing me alive. I remember my father smelling of sweet hay from the livery and my mother rocking back and forth sobbing into my neck, whispering how much she loved me into my ear.

The next few days I stayed at home and rested. I remember my father bringing home the paper and reading it to us.

It told of everything, how the firemen suspected the cause of the fire being from a carelessly discarded cigarette tossed into a scrap bin, how the fire escapes had collapsed, how the nets had failed to save the fifty to sixty people who had been forced to jump or be burned alive. It put the death rate at 137 and the number was still growing. The morgues had apparently run out of room to store the deceased for the families to come and identify, and so they were being lined up on a pier in hastily thrown together coffins. I remember feeling sick to my stomach over Abraham of whom I had heard no news.

I finally gave up hope on finding him alive and took to wandering through the morgues in hopes of finding him. I never did.

But several days later when the papers printed their first tentative list of the deceased's names I remember very clearly seeing his name near the bottom with the R's. The news struck me as if I had walked headlong into a brick wall. I could not believe it though there it was right in front of me.
I cried for days, what young woman wouldn't? He was my first love. No one could figure what was wrong with me and I would tell them nothing.

The one thing I did do was write a letter to Abraham's parents. In that letter I told them the truth about me and their son. How much he loved me and what a caring young man he was. I left it unsigned and merely ended it with an expression of my heartfelt condolences over their loss. I was too much of a coward to face them.

It was a decision that I now regret years later but it is much too late to change anything. I never forgot about Abraham all these years, he still holds a special place in my heart.

The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire changed me forever, even now years later I have been unable to shake the terrifying nightmares that plague my every sleeping moment. It was a horrifying tragedy and an unnecessary one. I pray that I may never see another like it in my lifetime.

-Cecelia Walker

Note: Cecelia Walker and Abraham Robinowitz were actual people. They both worked at the Triangle Shirtwaist Factory although their relationship is entirely fictional. Cecelia Walker was truly twenty years old when the fire occurred and she actually did witness a girl standing beside her jump out of a window. She really did escape down an elevator shaft and wake up in St. Vincent's Hospital with severe burns. Little is known about Abraham except that he jumped to his death from the eighth floor after the flames grew too intense and was crushed.
As for the rest of the story unfortunately, it is completely true.

I don't know if this is allowed but these photos I found while reseaching for this story really helped to better illustrate and depict how the tragedies of that day really happened. ****They are not pleasant to look to look at so please view at your own discretion.****
Spoiler! :

A picture of the factory after the fire and the windows that so many were sadly forced to use as their only escape.
Spoiler! :

Victims of the tragedy.
Spoiler! :

Victims of the tragedy.
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." ~courtesy of one of history's funniest men, Groucho Marx. ^_^

205 Reviews

Reviews: 205
Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:42 pm
Kagi says...

Day.
I'm crying. I want to scream. Oh those poor people. I want to do something right now. I want to go to that grave and pay my respects. Yes day, that is how much YOUR writing has moved me. Don't tell me it wasn't you idea that it had already happened, thats rubbish. Your words, your imagery and your description is what made me feel. It was all you.

I can't possibly comment on erros as there were none. Not a comma out of place, nothing I can find fault with. It was breathtaking. Every moment was agony for me. That was why I didn't review the other chapters as I should, I couldn't wait without knowing. It was so moving, this should be on the papers, it would make people think again about appreciating their life. I do.

Your imagery was.. there is no word for it. Every second I was there. I was watching the people plunge to their death. I watched the flames lick their arms and eat devilishly at their clothing. I watched their faces in terror as they realised there was no hope. And that was all you. The words you choice jsut fitted, like my hands find the right letters to press on the keyboard. It was just right, everything you wrote. All I can say is you are no faulty writer. Day your writing is as close to perfection as you get.

Your description was so pulling, it drew you in the whole time. Even in the intro I didn't even once think to myself Daydreamer is doing well. I always though oh wow. Cecelia is this or that. I was so involved in the story as far as I was concerned Cecelia was telling me this in her own words. I might as well have my ipod plugged in listening to her audiobook. Day I am so sorry that I can't get the words out. I'm just so speechless it's not even funny. My parents are probably wondering right now if I'm ok. My mouth is gaping open so wide. I probably look like a ghost.

Day you should be immensely proud of this. I have never in all my time of YWS read ANYTHING like this. Well story wise. I did read a poem called Sarah which touched me the same way. I ask you to read it and then maybe you'll know how I feel write now.
This is just so passionate and wonderful you deserve world recognition. I am donating you points for this and nomintating you for another badge. And yes I know if no one else has the cop on to nominate you then you won't get the badge but at least I tried right?!

I'm speechless day so this review has to end. I have nothing else to say. I can't.
Well done and all you can do in returen is promise me you are proud of this. Promise me.
Kaka xoxo
Got YWS?

If, when you mean to type yes you type yws, you know you belong. :P

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:58 am
liquiddeath says...

I'm speechless...
There is no good and evil, there's just perspective

107 Reviews

Reviews: 107
Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:00 am
d@ydre@mer27 says...

Did you read the other three parts?
And thank you so very much!
~day
"A black cat crossing your path signifies that the animal is going somewhere." ~courtesy of one of history's funniest men, Groucho Marx. ^_^

81 Reviews

Reviews: 81
Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:31 pm
Piper says...

Ok, I'm sorry this was the first I commented on, I was just physically unable to take the time and stop to write a review between parts. This is amazing writing, it it was a book, I would call it a major page turner. I am honestly on the verge of tears now, and I want to let you know few books and movies can do that to me. I feel as if i'm standing there, feeling the horror of the fire and locked doors and too small elevator. I am still trying to compose my self, so i'm just going to give you 2 thumbs up. By the way, I'm following you now.
Cats are like characters. You may say they're yours, but in reality, they own you. ~Me

You can take away all the arts you want, but soon, the children won't have anything to read or write about. ~Glen Holland

770 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 770
Thu Jan 06, 2011 2:00 pm
borntobeawriter says...

Well, Day, you've done it again.

It's obvious you like history and you pull it off so well. You are quite talented, so very talented, that you manage to convey such emotion in a short story. I did notice a mistake, in the first part, on the bottom, you wrote 'niether' instead of 'neither'. But I was too into the story to bother with that mistake ;)

I am amazed with your researching and with your love for history. I would love to have such passion and pull it off as brilliantly as you do. Congrats for that.

You have managed to make us smile in delight, make us cringe and weep and make our hearts stop. All in four short chapters.

I'm sorry I don't have much else to say but this was brilliant. Yet again.

Tanya. :D

1260 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 1260
Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:14 pm
Elinor says...

Hey, daydreamer. :)

Sorry this took a bit longer, but I got really tired and left to take a nap -- I'm here now though. This was a good ending in the sense that we got satisfying closure, and this felt like the end. After the intensity of the fire, it was nice that this was a bit slower paced. I like how you relayed all of the facts to us here -- it feels realistic because in her mad rush to escape she wouldn't have known exactly what was going on. Just a note though. Whenever you have numbers in stories, you should always write them out (the only exception to this is years). So, 137 would become one hundred and thirty-seven. It looks nicer and shows effort.

My only problem with this piece is the emotion. She went through a lot with the fire and most definitely experienced a lot that no one should ever have to experience. Yet, we get few thoughts from Cecelia in this closing part. When her father reads the newspaper, does she start to shake and think that she could have been one of those people? Does she have any close friends that were killed in the fire? Even though she's safe, does she keep seeing flames? I would also like to see more reaction from her when she hears of Abraham's death -- "I cried for days" just isn't going to cut it. This is her first love. How does the thought sit with her that she's never going to see his face again? Also, I think her family would have heard of the fire and gotten nervous, right? They didn't have cell phones, so there was no way to make sure she was okay -- I just think her arrival home should be a bit more emotional.

I will admit that I was surprised to find out you were basing this off of a real life person. Those pictures are sad to look at. :( Overall, I think you did a fantastic job with this story. This is a scary and disturbing event in our history, and I think you portrayed it well. Just work on those little things I mentioned throughout. I had a pleasure reading and reviewing this! Drop me a note if you have any questions. :) Good luck with your revisions!

~ Elinor

All our dreams can come true — if we have the courage to pursue them.

-- Walt Disney

I'm a fledgling potato bird that lives in a nest in the rp forums
— Ley