z

Young Writers Society

How long does cookie dough keep?

2058 Reviews

Reviews: 2058
Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:13 am
Emerson says...

If, say, I were to make cookies but not bake them, wrap the dough up and refrigerate it, how long until its unusable? Wouldn't the eggs, at some point, create a problem? I have the other half of a batch sitting in my fridge now, and I'm real worried it'll be no good by tomorrow...
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”
― Alexandre Dumas, The Count of Monte Cristo

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:14 am
Poor Imp says...

Oh, it ought to last a couple of days at the very least. Certainly won't go rotten in day.

Frozen, of course, it might last for a month or more. ^_^
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

2058 Reviews

Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:16 am
Emerson says...

@_@ well I really don't need it to last a month! I made a huge batch (36 cookies by golly!) and couldn't finish baking them all.

It was kind of stupid of me. I could have just made two patches separate. The dough hardly fit in my bowl, it was such a struggle to mix!
“It's necessary to have wished for death in order to know how good it is to live.”

459 Reviews

Reviews: 459
Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:21 am
Poor Imp says...

Claudette wrote:@_@ well I really don't need it to last a month! I made a huge batch (36 cookies by golly!) and couldn't finish baking them all.

It was kind of stupid of me. I could have just made two patches separate. The dough hardly fit in my bowl, it was such a struggle to mix!

^_^ Oy, well it will last a day - or night easily. But you can't ever have too many cookies, yes? ...even if you can have rather too much dough...
ex umbris et imaginibus in veritatem

"There is adventure in simply being among those we love, and among the things we love -- and beauty, too."
-Lloyd Alexander

145 Reviews

Reviews: 145
Mon Sep 25, 2006 1:55 am
View Likes
Skye says...

I just eat the cookie dough plain...

But that's just me. :)
"A poet in love is best encouraged in both capacities or neither." ~ Jane Austen, Emma.

2058 Reviews

Mon Sep 25, 2006 2:03 am
Emerson says...

but you could get salmonella! *shock!*

Actually, they have this product that some organizations sell at my school as a fundraiser, its like egg-less cookie dough or something like that, so you can eat the actual cookie dough (or make cookies...) it doesn't taste as good as REAL cookie dough though.

Reviews: 0
Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:30 pm
wiangube says...

Hi Suzanne,

I think it all depends on the ingredients you use, specially the 'milky ones', because you know that the others (flour, eggs) can last a bit longer, but the milk (in case you use some) is a short-term food.

On the other hand, I think you should ask some advice from restaurants and bakeries, like this:

http://www.davidscookies.com/index.cfm?action=category&categoryid=4

so you can learn a bit more and, why not, make your cookie doughs a 'good choice for living'

280 Reviews

Reviews: 280
Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:41 pm
Sumi H. Inkblot says...

Suzanne wrote:but you could get salmonella! *shock!*

So?! :P Brownie batter is much tastier than the actual brownies.
I agree with Imp -- month, tops, in the freezer, and a little less than a week if you cover the bowl and refrigerate it. Snickerdoodle, Toll house cookies and most sugar drop cookies stand up to that. ;)
ohmeohmy

694 Reviews

Reviews: 694
Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:49 pm
Via says...

I've eaten cookie dough over the span of at least a week and have managed to not die or be deathly ill afterwards. But...that's just me :)
My Literary and Arts Blog

"I think I'd miss you even if we'd never met." -The Wedding Date

387 Reviews

Reviews: 387
Mon Jan 14, 2008 5:58 pm
Kylan says...

Experiment. Eat it, and if you don't die within a day or two, it's okay still.

...Because people with scientific minds live long and healthy lives. :wink:

-Kylan
"I am beginning to despair
and can see only two choices:
either go crazy or turn holy."

- Serenade, Adélia Prado

2058 Reviews

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:06 pm
Emerson says...

I'm not experimenting on myself...

And what is with the thread bumping here?

Actually, I gave up making cookies all together. I can make really good cakes and pies! But I can't make cookies. That is, home made cookies. The canned things you buy and just put on the tray--easy. But that's just too easy.

425 Reviews

Reviews: 425
Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:13 pm
Nate says...

Suzanne wrote:And what is with the thread bumping here?

I suppose someone got worried that you still had the cookie dough in the fridge and just wanted to let you know that eating it would be bad.

Frozen cookie dough can last a very long time. Even refrigerated, it will keep for about a week.

And after a quick check on Google, frozen cookie dough can last for six months to one year. Refrigerated cookie dough can last for two to three months.

Either way, you shouldn't eat it Suzanne. It's been 16 months.

2058 Reviews

Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:16 pm
Emerson says...

Either way, you shouldn't eat it Suzanne. It's been 16 months.

Thanks for letting me know! I was just about to gorge myself on the cookie dough in the back of the fridge. (Mold and all!)

:roll:

657 Reviews

Reviews: 657
Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:59 am
Jennafina says...

In my house, it keeps until someone eats it. xD
Jennafina's Love Your Body Already Dammit Campaign

forum353.html

(To find out what it really is, just click.)

ask not what u can do for ur bones but of what ur bones can do for u
— Carina