z

Young Writers Society

A Few Things..

36 Reviews

Reviews: 36
Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:19 pm
She Writes says...

Hey. I am writing this novel with a girl in it who is deaf and partly dumb. I am trying to get a feel for how her personality should be ... can anyone help?

Also, all of you people over in Europe, the story takes place in York. Does anyone live there who wants to give me a few pictures and some info on what it is like there?

Thanks so very much. (:

-xxx-

Courtney

2631 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 2631
Thu Sep 13, 2007 3:30 pm
Rydia says...

Lol. In York? I just got back from there. I don't live there, in fact it's more than an hour's bus journey away but I go to college there every day. It's a rather big area but there's some gorgeous architecture and some really nice, hostoric cobbled roads. If I have a decent break next week, I'll try to get you some photos but if not you can ask questions and I can describe the place to you.

As for your character, her personality could vary just as much as anyone elses. I know a person who's deaf and he's a real joker and always lots of fun to be around but he can be a touch sensitive at times. For example, he likes to be very independant and would rather read your lips than have you sign to him (Which helps me seenas I can barely sign beyond the alphabet) but he gets annoyed if you speak too fast for him to follow or turn your back because he feels left out. He doesn't say so though. He'll make a joke about it and then the person will realise their mistake and slow down. If they know him that is. If not, there have been a few interesting occasions where I've mouthed the person's words to him so that he doesn't feel awkward asking them to repeat themselves.

Hope some of that helps,

Heather xx

P.S. Feel free to pm me about it.
Writing Gooder

~Previously KittyKatSparklesExplosion15~

The light shines brightest in the darkest places.

189 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 189
Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:07 pm
tinny says...

I went on a day-trip to York a few weeks ago, for the purpose of taking photos of funky things XD I'm not sure how many of them would be useful to you, there are some pretty strange ones, but I could see about digging them out if you want.
please grant me my small wish; (love me to the marrow of my bones)

14 Reviews

Reviews: 14
Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:11 am
snap says...

Well, I can't answer the latter question, but I've spent a majority of my life around mentally/physically handicapped people, so I might be of some use.

You have to take into account exactly why she is deaf and partly dumb. There are certain mental disabilities that might accompany these qualities, and, if so, her personality would be much different than if it was otherwise. Depending on the severity of the disability, and what it was, she might fluctuate between being extremely happy and having fits of anger. Or she might not show emotion. Or she might refuse to smile. That kind of thing requires a lot more research into exactly WHAT is wrong.

I think, though, that you mean she is simply deaf, and, as a result, partly dumb. Also think about whether or not she reads lips or she speaks solely in sign language. Reading lips can be an essential tool to anyone who's even partly deaf. However, if the child lost their hearing as an infant or young child, she may not be able to do it. That's also why some deaf can speak to some extent, and some can't. As for her actual personality, you'll have to develop her, as with any other character. My guess would be, though, that she would be at least minutely frustrated at the lack of communication skills she has and the reactions she receives. Often people treat the handicap much differently than the rest of the population in an effort not to offend. And, in the process.....they offend. :) I would think that would be her major gripe, as well as a constant source of frustration. The rest is up to you. ;)
The beautiful part of writing is that you don't have to get it right the first time, unlike, say, a brain surgeon.
~ Robert Cormier

36 Reviews

Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:41 pm
She Writes says...

Oh geez, I didnt even think about these things!

Heather:
Yup, York. (: I know, its a kind of odd place for a 10 year-old American to write about, but I read a cool book about it that made ME want to write about York. Oh, you are so nice! I'd love pictures whenever you could get them to me, let it be 3 weeks or 3 days. Lol. I have already said that Anna (the deaf/dumb gal) hates using sign language, so thats good. (: But Anna is going to be sweet (mostly..Lol) so I wont have her be TOO stubborn. He he!

Tin Fish:
I would LOVE funky pics!! Whenever you can get them to me, if there isnt too much trouble, that would be amazing.

Snap:
She will be always happy, but when she is mad she will be very mad. And oh my, I have no idea what disibility she could have...do you have any ideas on more, say, simple disabilities? Yes, That is exactly what I mean, by she is partly dumb. She reads lips. Yes, she will offend. Ha ha! (:

Thanks so much for the help! Anyone else? (:

62 Reviews

Reviews: 62
Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:21 pm
jonny911 says...

Oh, how bout this? You could have the girl be someone who was abused by their parents when they where young because of her imperfections, so she's really shy and is afraid of getting close to anyone for fear of being hurt. But, she could also be someone who is more understanding of people, and accepts them for who they are, because she would want people to be like that to her.
"Son, what do you want to be when you grow up?"
"A felon!"
"Are you sure?"
"Yah! This kid at school says they get all the girls!"
"I should try that..."

461 Reviews

Reviews: 461
Wed Oct 03, 2007 10:25 pm
GingerLizzy says...

York

I live near it and it is fabulous. It's a bit like Lincoln; sort of old fashioned buildings with some tudor houses and shops and also the train station - even though it has been modernised - is still pretty rustic on the out side.

It's a place where there are a lot of people - it's very populated - and there are lots of shops, but it's also very cultured with libraries, museums and cathedrals. Also, it tends to get pretty congested.

Hope that helps.
Worship the ginger monkey :) aaand join my new group!

Oh, and enter my new contest!

36 Reviews

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:35 pm
She Writes says...

Jonny: Yea. I'm not quite going for that approach, but thanks

Lizzy: Thanks! It does! =)

When life gives you lemons…take over YWS with fruits and vegetables!!!
— LemonescentAnt