z

Young Writers Society

"Emo" Poetry vs. Good Poetry

562 Reviews

Reviews: 562
Thu Jul 18, 2013 10:38 pm
Button says...

The only problem with "emo" poetry, per say, is if people rely on cliches that are considered emotional tries rather than constructing their own ideas, thoughts, and emotion in their writing. I've written plenty of poetry that could probably be considered "emo", but it doesn't mean that it's automatically bad, (not that it's good either, but that's for other reasons) it just means that there is the idea that most poetry along that line DOES rely on simplistic, overused imagery with no originality. That's really the only problem with it. Moving beyond that, I don't see why it should be considered any less artistic or valuable.

Reviews: 0
Wed Jul 24, 2013 7:59 pm
MasSolitude says...

I think the difference between "emo" poetry and "good" poetry is that "emo" poetry presents itself in a non metaphorical way, with many heavy emotions being spewed onto a piece of paper. "Good" poetry on the other hand is those emotions or feelings, being put into a metaphor like a story and then the reader can extract personal meaning for it. So instead of reading a depressive sad piece, and see that the writer has some issues, one can read a piece portraying the same feeling through metaphor and partially experience the feelings for himself, giving the illusion of a "good" poem. But honestly, poetry is poetry, whether it comes out of a bleeding wrist or one that's never been hurt, it all does the same thing, portray emotion in one way or another.

Sorry, I just always try not to judge.

110 Reviews

Reviews: 110
Wed Jul 24, 2013 9:03 pm
ImHero says...

I think the difference between "emo" poetry and "good" poetry is that "emo" poetry presents itself in a non metaphorical way

Except that there are plenty of metaphors in "emo" poetry.
new profile: profile.php?u=36729

279 Reviews

Reviews: 279
Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:33 pm
MasterGrieves says...

Poetry is poetry, no matter the label.
The Nation of Ulysses Must Prevail!

If you don't like Mikko, you better friggin' die.

The power of Robert Smith compels you!

Adam + Lisa ♥

When you greet a stranger look at his shoes.
Keep your money in your shoes.

I was 567ajt

These were autumn mornings, the time of year when kings of old went forth to conquest; and I, never stirring from my little corner in Calcutta, would let my mind wander over the whole world.
— Rabindranath Tagore, The Cabuliwallah