z

Young Writers Society

How do you write poetry?

137 Reviews

Reviews: 137
Tue May 13, 2008 12:55 am
Summerless says...

That is a difficult question. I never thought of it. Poetry, though, as far as I know, is a story that has no limited form. Feelings are strongly expressed through vivid imagery and word choice, etc.

I write my own poems by just thinking. I sit (occasionally they come to me as I'm waiting to fall asleep in bed) and think about something. And once my mind sets on that one thing I think of how my five senses respond to that thing. Then I write out my thoughts and arrange the lines and take out words, etc.

But that's just for me. Everyone writes poems his or her own way.

Summerless <3~

192 Reviews

Reviews: 192
Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:58 am
Livinginfantasy says...

kitty15 wrote:Sometimes I get a really cool title in my head and devlop a poem around that. Others it's a general idea or theme and then there's always the times when a line comes to me and the rest seems to fall into place. Also, I've been inspired by an event a few times like hurricanes and such.

Basically, whenever I have an idea, I scribble it down on a piece of paper (I'm the sort of person who always has a pen and a piece of paper near by. When I go out I tend to have them in my pocket and at home I have them scattered throughout every room of the house.) and then I work on it when I have the time until I'm satisfied with the finished poem.

Ditto!

I usually get titles or get inspired by something, and then I see which category it'll probably work best in. Sometimes poetry happens to be the answer.

12 Reviews

Reviews: 12
Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:45 am
unsterblichkeit36 says...

it usually just pops into my mind after a song, show, movie, bad day, good day, etc.
-SaraRose

701 Reviews

Reviews: 701
Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:41 am
bubblewrapped says...

Essentially they just sort of walk into my head and sit down waiting for someone to notice them. "They" can be images, thoughts, emotions, lines of dialogue, phrases, places - basically anything. If I'm lucky and I pay attention, and write them down right away, sometimes I can follow them back to where they come from and write the whole poem in one go. Then I edit it and post it online. Other times, I get left with a fragment, which I dutifully file away until it means something again.

...OK, that sounds really strange. But it's true o_O
Got a poem or short story you want me to critique?

There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way, and not to give others absurd maddening claims upon it. (C D Morley)

39 Reviews

Reviews: 39
Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:59 am
errtu2 says...

"I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, or insanity to anyone but they've always worked for me."-HST

Good Luck
Those who control their passions do so because their passions are weak enough to be controlled.
- William Blake
Lord, grant me chastity and continence... but not yet.
St. Augustine
When all else fails, we can whip the horses eyes

Random avatar

Reviews: 8
Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:29 am
WarriorOfTheBrimstone says...

i approach it like it should bee approached, with a great deal of respect for the art, i wont put words on paper that are cliche, vaugue or meaningless because it is a disrespect to the artform, i refuse to allow random lines from my head make it onto paper without relevance substance and editing

50 Reviews

Reviews: 50
Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:12 am
Face Engine says...

Well, in person, I'm quite antisocial, but I feel more comfortable when I'm not talking to a particular person. So I use written poetry to express myself-even if I don't always show my work to people, it's good to get your feelings down in the most sincere form possible.

As such, I consider most of my work to be a portrayal of what goes on in my head. Of course, I go over them a couple of time before posting them here, but I never go by any set of rules-usually, if there's a structure or rhythm in my poems, it's because I find it easiest to express myself with that structure or rhythm, not because it is a respected way of presenting poetry. Poetry should be free-if you get weighed down by the technical stuff, chances are you're not going to produce anything original or extraordinary, whereas if you just write it as you feel like writing it, there's a much better chance that your work will be original, interesting, relevant, and so on.

In other words, I don't think it is right to consider any poem to be good or bad-anything can be described in an artistic manner, and there are an infinite number of angles from which you can look at a piece of art and see something new (not literally, of course). Poems are only either original or unoriginal, different or normal. The sad thing, I find, is that original and strange poems seem to be the ones that are most often called "bad".
I refuse to acknowledge the existence of this signature.

267 Reviews

Reviews: 267
Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:15 am
Someguy says...

Let's say it like this. If you have an creative imagination, talk to yourself, think someone is standing next to you and talk with it, think the world is going to end, see that everything in your room can be used to write a poem, etc. than you have the makings of a good poem.

You really need to think of what you write. Yes write the first thing that enters your mind, but it doesn't mean that it is the correct sentence. This only helps to give you ideas of what to use and how it's going to form etc.

Also, if that doesn't work, but you do have a little artist inside of you, try to draw your feelings or try to draw what you see in your mind. This way you have expressed yourself and now have a clear view of what you see. I'm not giving high hopes for this method, because it only helped me once and that was it.

I prefer to write what I see. If I see a car accident, I'll see what I can do with it. If I see a child running outside, I try to get ideas of what to write about it. I also write poems from what I imagined inside my demented mind.

What I'm trying to say is: Poetry is everywhere. We eat it, we feel it, we smell it. It is our 5 senses. That is why I like to say that Poetry is everything. :D
Look at my big shiny shell...

Reviews: 0
Mon Dec 22, 2008 4:41 pm
suicidal_panda says...

Well I'm not exactly the best peot, but it's comes to me after something happens, or a song or something like that.

106 Reviews

Reviews: 106
Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:12 am
Princess says...

When I write my poems, they usually come from a motivation or determination. I think and think and think about my subject until I cant think about anything else, then I sit down and scratch it out on paper.
I came into this world wrinkled and ugly. And no matter how much I accumulate here, it's a short journey. I will go out of this world wrinkled and ugly. So I enjoy life.

206 Reviews

Reviews: 206
Fri Mar 20, 2009 3:37 am
Lil_Pau says...

Sometimes I get this urge to write a poem, and I'll try to find any inspiration for it. Most of my motivation comes from music or anything happening around me. Then, lines will start forming in my head and my pen will be the one to transfer it to paper.
Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst.

Random avatar

Reviews: 24
Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:49 pm
guitargrl1323 says...

imagine a tornado
now the stuff going in is a random theme, the tornado itself are the words, and then out pops a poem. depending on how the the tornado's been brewing, the quality of said poem can be either very good or very crappy, in which case it is immediately thrown back into the tornado.

160 Reviews

Reviews: 160
Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:13 pm
Krupp says...

For me, writing poetry is fairly consistent with the same way I try to write fiction. I either come up with a concept or idea that I want to get read, or I come up with an image in my head, and the poem is just me expressing in words what the image is.
I'm advertising here: Rosetta...A Determinism of Morality...out May 25th...2010 album of the year, without question.

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:55 am
WaterVyper says...

I learn new and interesting words (catharsis as an example) and write something centered around that. It started when my language teacher gave us an assignment to use our hobbies to define a vocabulary word. I got the word tangible. That is difficult to put into prose so poetry was the way to go. I've been scribbling down cool sounding words ever since.
There once was a cat.
He wasn’t particularly fat.
Fuzzy was his favorite mat.
And really, that was that.

Oh, but did you really think so?
Keep reading, it’s just the start of the show!
And as for how far this tale will go…
Well, even the cat doesn’t know.

Random avatar

Reviews: 37
Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:26 am
Helpful McHelpfulpants says...

Generally I sit down with the intention of writing a poem - mostly because I want feedback and it's easier to get criticism on poems that long, boring short stories, also they are easier to write - I wait patiently for my brain to produce a topic, it does so, I write the poem, post it, reread it in fifteen minutes, edit it, and then never touch it again.

Does that help? No? Sorry.

I will call them my people, which were not my people; and her beloved, which was not beloved.
— Romans 9:25