z

Young Writers Society

Sometimes, you just have to listen

268 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 268
Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:36 am
Adnamarine says...

Lately, I've realized more and more how often I'll hear a sentence, a phrase, maybe even just a word-- maybe an unusual one or used in an unusual context-- and I'll be struck with it's poetic...ness. It's not like scenery, that inspires you with the feeling of voiceless poetry that you have the job of putting into words. That's the emotive side.
This is the conceptual side, the side that inspires you with concrete ideas, perhaps completely different from what the words, when originally spoken, were meant to mean.

This has really helped when I had writer's block, couldn't think of a thing to write. I just listened for those 10-second poets who don't know who they are. Trust me, a single phrase, when taken by itself, is a wealth of ideas and, possibly, a future line of poetry, if adopted the right way.

Then again, I'm not usually expecting it when it jumps out at me, "that sounds just like a line of poetry." So, maybe we don't need to worry about looking for it.
"Half the time the poem writes me." ~Meshugenah

122 Reviews

Reviews: 122
Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:13 pm
WaterVyper says...

I know what you mean. Earlier today, we were given an assignment to incorporate and define a vocabulary word in something we love to do. Naturally, I chose writing and the word I got was 'tangible'. I finished the first draft prettu quickly since somebody said, "I can feel the bell." That sounded really good, so I tweaked it and used it for my first line. Everything was cake after that.

Poetry is all around us. It just needs an open mind and careful ears to be found.

316 Reviews

Reviews: 316
Wed Mar 04, 2009 7:21 am
whence says...

art doesn't mimic life--it's the other way around.
The good parts of a book may be only something a writer is lucky enough to overhear or it may be the wreck of his whole damn life — and one is as good as the other.
Ernest Hemingway

GET YER EYES AWAY FROM MY EYE SOCKETS >.>
— herbalhour