Reviews: 425
Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:05 am
Nate says...

Any tips for writing poetry?

153 Reviews

Reviews: 153
Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:16 am
Jagged says...

Flow is your bestest friend in the world. I may be a bit on the extreme side when it comes to it, but fact is, when the words don't flow and roll off the tongue easily, I lose interest very quickly, while a poem in which every word follows along smoothly you'll keep reading even when it's a bit lacking in the actual content department (except if the abruptness happened on purpose, to fit the tone or the imagery, etc). Call me shallow, but that's how it goes for me. Example of awesome flow, Richard Siken. The man may not make complete sense at times, but boy does he have a way with flow. It's mostly just a matter of sounding the words out, testing how they follow one another. A sudden, harsh 'r' sound in a line mostly comprised of softer 'l' or 'w', for example, can jar and ruin the smooth, lazy rhythm of it, etc.

Corollary to that point, word choice is Important Stuff. Nothing like a wrong word in the wrong place to completely snap a reader out of the piece. Don't overuse the thesaurus, though, because often the simplest words are the best. But it's fun playing with the shades of meaning between two synonyms too, because there are always different connotations and associations to specific words, no matter how close the objective meanings would be. So many words: poke at them and be happeh playing with them.

On a related note, experimenting is ~fun, as long as one doens't excessively mutilate the English language (or any other, for that matter) in the process. It can take surprising amounts of abuse, yes, but there comes a point where it's just too much. Except if your name is e.e.cummings, in which case English has unlimited HP and can therefore be made to do anything and everything.

/$0.02

ETA: and now Snoink makes me feel like I'm being too SRS BZNS with this :P Poetry is like a puppy. It wriggles and bites sometimes and makes a mess all over and it will love you foreverrrrr if you scratch it behind the ear.

Or something like that.

ETA2: Metaphors and similes are awesome, but only as long as they still makes sense/have a connection to the original train of thought.
Last edited by Jagged on Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:49 am, edited 3 times in total.
Lumi: they stand no chance against the JAG SAFETY BLANKET

3821 Reviews

Supporter

Reviews: 3821
Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:35 am
Snoink says...

The best way to make a poem unique is to put yourself into it. Let it sparkle with your personality.

If you have trouble with doing this, try writing about something you love.
Ubi caritas est vera, Deus ibi est.

"The mark of your ignorance is the depth of your belief in injustice and tragedy. What the caterpillar calls the end of the world, the Master calls the butterfly." ~ Richard Bach

Moth and Myth <- My comic! :D

199 Reviews

Reviews: 199
Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:41 am
smorgishborg says...

Don't think very hard. Save that for revision.
The woods are lovely, dark and deep.
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.
- Robert Frost

It cost $7 million to build the Titanic, and $200 million to make a film about it.
The plastic ties on the end of shoelaces are called aglets

156 Reviews

Reviews: 156
Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:02 am
KatTrain says...

Find words that make your tongue feel an emotion and you've got something....
So, a dyslexic man walks into a bra....

168 Reviews

Reviews: 168
Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:53 am
LastPaladin says...

Subtly. I find the subtly poems work best, never scream out a meaning, try use metaphors or other language techniques to really capture the poem message. I for instance love using metaphors and I find the point can be delivered better with this. I also say like prose you should remember the rule of 'Show don't tell' there nothing more that annoys me than a poem that just tells you.

Don't preach unless it's not overt.

Work on finding your niche, read different poets and find out which one you feel you love the most and try use their style. I often use a very loose style not going so much for pattern or how it's arranged but to how it comes to me.

Overall, write about what you know, and if ya must write about something never written about before, make sure to respect it.
You poor take courage
You rich take care
This earth was made a common treasury
For everyone to share
All things in common
All people one
We come in peace
The orders came to cut them down

Billy Bragg - The World Turned Upside Down

373 Reviews

Reviews: 373
Wed Oct 06, 2010 12:55 am
Kamas says...

Listen to what other people say (but only to a certain extent)
"Nothing is permanent in this wicked world - not even our troubles." ~ Charles Chaplin

#tnt

286 Reviews

Reviews: 286
Wed Oct 06, 2010 2:12 am
silented1 says...

Poetry is like a computer, you need to make sure it's insides and hardware all work properly. Then you need to get a case, and decorate it, ofcourse. With rhyme, or metaphors or similes, whatever you wish. Basicly, what smorgishborg said. Just with a cool metaphor.
[quote]If it's arguable, then it probably is." - Xeriana X

Link to my will review for food thread: topic71713.html

Reviews: 3
Sun Oct 10, 2010 2:32 pm
bibi says...

get the poem from the core of your soul, think about your feelings, your views and put them on paper...let it flow away from your mind^^
"Dream hard and you will be happy. Dream harder and you will be the dream. If you dream
even more tho, remember that I have warned you of the dangers of getting lost in an illusion that never ends...Always..." ~ Bri M.

59 Reviews

Reviews: 59
Sun Oct 10, 2010 5:55 pm
Hibiscus says...

Um... don't just try and slap something down. If you want to write a poem, I think you should give it time. It's like growing a plant (which I suck at, lol). You've got to include all the different aspects on a poem. Now, the question is, do you want to write a poem or do you want to write a good poem? Because a poem can be written pretty quickly, even a good poem. But a good poem is given thought and a voice. It's like writing a story, except you're providing the emotion and imagery in a shorter, more lyric form.
When you write a poem, try to write about something you're interested. Just think up a lot of topics and ideas, it may take you days to form something, but that's okay.
And sometimes it's hard to write things, because you don't have inspiration. If you don't have inspiration I would advise not trying to write anything because it won't come out any good and you won't like it as much as if you had been inspired.
Poetry is really just another form of writing. I really don't think anyone can "suck" at poetry, because poetry can always been fixed and get better. It really has no limits to how far you can take it. Just because somebody might not like a poem you've written, doesn't make it a sucky poem, or mean you suck at writing poetry. It's just because the poem hasn't been worked on.
So just try writing poems when you feel like it. It's like practice- the more you write, the more you read, the more you involve yourself, the better you're going to become. Don't say you suck at poetry and not try and write any, because that's not going to help you at all. Writing evolves as you go along, and so does poetry, and that's natural. : )

(This wasn't directly aimed at you- sorry if it sounded a bit rude in parts, lol. I went on a rant.)
The greatest thing you'll ever learn is just to love and be loved in return.

Got Support~?
viewgroup.php?f=336

8 Reviews

Reviews: 8
Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:41 am
soulidium says...

ya I think i might be able to give you some tips I usually just write what ever come to my head and hope it sounds good.

I know it's not much sorry.

Reviews: 4
Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:39 pm
bmonczka says...

soulidium wrote:ya I think i might be able to give you some tips I usually just write what ever come to my head and hope it sounds good.

yo its "COMES" to my head not come to my head...but im only teling u that cuz i know u and its fun to pick on ur writing :smt003

18 Reviews

Reviews: 18
Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:41 pm
asweeney1919 says...

soulidium wrote:ya I think i might be able to give you some tips I usually just write what ever come's to my head and hope it sounds good.

Reviews: 4
Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:51 pm
bmonczka says...

Nate wrote:Any tips for writing poetry?

all u do is write wats on ur mind like ur feelings or how ur life is going or wat u see urself doing in like 10 years or something

Reviews: 0
Tue Oct 19, 2010 5:58 pm
animallover343 says...

wow :D :D that is talented :pirate3:

Why can't I put the entire Bee Movie in the quote generator? Would you prefer if I put in the Shrek script instead?
— CaptainJack